Start by marking “Mimosa: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Mimosa: A True Story

Mimosa: A True Story

The inspirational and dramatic story of a Hindu child who heard of God's love for her, and trusted in Him through years of persecution and adversity
Published September 1st 2005 by CLC Ministries (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Mimosa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mimosa

Melinda
Nov 20, 2009 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, christian
This book was written by Amy Carmichael in 1924. Amy was a Christian missionary in India who established an orphanage and founded a mission on Dohnavur. More information about her can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Carm... .

The book is a true story, and all the more powerful because of that. Amy sought to rescue children and babies who were not wanted in their Hindu families for various reasons. A poor family with many daughters would often take the "extra" girls to a temple to be
Dhanaraj Rajan
Nov 02, 2013 Dhanaraj Rajan rated it really liked it
The reason for reading this book is the author, Amy Carmichael. Amy Carmichael was an Irish protestant missionary who worked near to my native place in Tamil Nadu for many years. And I, being a Christian and the one interested in the history of Christianity of my region, always wanted to read her books. They were mostly out of print. Recently I got hold of few of the books, thanks to the reprints.

About this book: This is a real story of a Hindu girl who stood firm in her Christian faith in spite
Mary
Apr 03, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I could not put it down and finished it in a day which is unusual for me. I have long lists of things to do... I could not stop reading because I wanted to see where God would meet Mimosa next or how He would take care of her. I agree that the style of writing could be cumbersome at times and hard to follow when Miss Carmichael was waxing eloquent. I can totally forgive her for that though, considering her excitement for the story she was relaying and that she was writing in t ...more
Noreen Hacohen
Apr 10, 2014 Noreen Hacohen rated it it was amazing
One of the most powerful non-fiction stories I have ever read, very moving and compelling testimony of the transforming love and power of God.
Rachel
When Mimosa was a little girl, she went to Dohnavor with her father to visit her sister. In the brief time she was there, she heard about a God who is a loving Father: that knowledge changed her life. For years she held to that truth, praying to the God she had heard of, recognizing that all that He did was good even through great hardship, and trusting Him to provide her needs. Her knowledge was extremely limited--she didn't even know of Christ and the cross--but God's love kept her and brought ...more
Rose on aish
May 15, 2016 Rose on aish rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is great! It's a true story about an Indian woman, who didn't know Christ at all and didn't had the chance to read or to be taught out of the Bible and had no education (she couldn't even read or write). She only knew that there is a God who loves her. She felt His presence and gave up the gods she had and went through very taugh situations. She was persecuted and had to raise up 4 children alone in a very harsh situation...poverty, sickness, loneliness...but even through all these, th ...more
Jeanne
Oct 22, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
I needed to hear the encouraging message that runs through the book...that Jesus is real and oh so personal. He will take care of all my needs and I need not tell a soul.

Pg. 135 Mimosa sold her brass vessels, an Indian woman's most precious necessities. They had been her father's gift to her, part of her dowry, and she could never buy such again. Hereafter she must use cheap earthen pots.

This passage touched me deeply because I too sold my precious necessities to come to Honduras to do the Lord'
Josiah
This is a short biography, written by Amy Carmichael, about a Tamil Indian woman named Mimosa and her life as a Christ-follower after a very brief encounter with the living God. Mimosa's enduring faith in the face of enormous opposition is a powerful testimony to the workings of the Holy Spirit. In the life of a woman with no spiritual education, training, or even scriptural knowledge, God is still faithful to his children.
Rebecca Wattier
Feb 04, 2016 Rebecca Wattier rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Nice, quick read. Encouraging story of an Indian woman pursued by God even when she didn't understand it. She couldn't read and wasn't exposed to scripture until years after she encountered Christ. It Is a great reminder to those in ministry that He does the work and we get to be involved. He is not dependent on us but invites us to be a part.
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Although Amy Charmichael's writing style is archaic, the beauty of this true story still rings true today. This little book was such an encouragement to me. Who would think that an uneducated, outcast, impoverished Indian woman from 100 years ago would be able to minister to me? What an amazing legacy of faith!
Martha Groeber
Dec 09, 2014 Martha Groeber rated it really liked it
This is Amy Carmichael's true account of a young Indian woman who came to hear of Christ. Mimosa became a believer in Christ and endured years of opposition from her family and caste. A remarkable tale of how God can sustain one's faith in the most difficult of circumstances.
Hilda
Aug 10, 2008 Hilda rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful story of an Indian girl who goes against her in-bred Hindu beliefs to seek Jesus Christ.

It is a story of suffering and her strength to find great courage to stand up for what she believes in despite much opposition from her family and Hindu community.
Margaret
This was a most amazing story of living the light you have received. An Indian woman who had very little knowledge of God and the Bible was so profoundly moved to follow God with perfect faith that it puts those of us with the entire Bible at our fingertips to shame.
Heather Truckenmiller
The language in this, after all of my light reading of late, made this a more challenging read for me. It's an amazing story, but at times I had trouble following it. It's a short book, and I think I made it more difficult to read then it should have been?
andeegail
Oct 11, 2008 andeegail rated it really liked it
True story about a woman from India. I learned from this book that God can take one moment in a persons life to change the course of that life and future generations. And, that His Holy Spirit does teach and lead when there is no other teacher.
DJ
Jul 03, 2010 DJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Profoundly moving book about pure faith, but warning - it is difficult to read, due to the prose and author's story telling style. If one can get though it, it's a charming little book that really illustrates blind faith. Fascinating
Gale
May 22, 2012 Gale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have-this
I read this many years ago but had forgotten all of it except the trust in God that this child, then woman, had. I am so glad to read it again! It is an amazing true story of faith and of God's care for even one lone person.
faithful
May 25, 2010 faithful rated it really liked it
June book club choice
Delightful peek at the hard overcomer's life of an Indian woman and how God met her right where she was without any education [no ability to read:], fellowship, or church training.
Susan
Apr 12, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating account of a young Indian woman who becomes a Christian in the 1930s. Filled with the sort of details I haven't read anywhere else. It was a tough life.
Dats
Nov 05, 2012 Dats rated it it was amazing
I was greatly touched by this true story. I hope more people share these kind of stories. Allow more people to learn of God's love for all his people even in times of hardship.
Hannah
Jul 17, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down!
Lisa
Dec 27, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Very hard book to read. I forced myself to finish it. The ending was very good and I am sure the story is amazing but the writing was difficult to understand
Linda
Jun 11, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, biography
An interesting true story. Most interesting is how the Spirit leads Mimosa, who has no Bible, into truth after only minutes of instruction about God.
Joan
Nov 25, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing
What an awesome story of God's faithfulness to the smallest response to His love. God himself taught, guided and preserved Mimosa.
Kristen
Sep 05, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Amazing story about the power of God to hold His children firmly in His hand! I gave away my copy, but I need to get another!
Heila
Jun 03, 2010 Heila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Amazing, beautiful, gives-you-chills personal account of a Hindu girl's developing faith in isolation.
Wendy
Apr 06, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Tremendous, tremendous testimony of God's faithfulness. I am encouraged every time I read it.
Diana Dunn
Feb 10, 2008 Diana Dunn rated it it was amazing
What an absolutly amazing display of the power of God to draw man to himself!
Jennifer McMaster
Dec 05, 2012 Jennifer McMaster rated it liked it
I love the story of Amy Carmichael. This reads a little slow, however.
Becca
Aug 08, 2012 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
A very interesting story, but the telling seemed to lack vibrancy.
  • These Strange Ashes
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • The Pastor's Wife
A Protestant Christian missionary in India, who opened an orphanage and founded a mission in Dohnavur. She served in India for 55 years without furlough and wrote many books about the missionary work there.
More about Amy Carmichael...