Start by marking “Auto Repair For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Auto Repair For Dummies

Auto Repair For Dummies

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The top-selling auto repair guide--400,000 copies sold--now extensively reorganized and updated Forty-eight percent of U.S. households perform at least some automobile maintenance on their own, with women now accounting for one third of this $34 billion automotive do-it-yourself market. For new or would-be do-it-yourself mechanics, this illustrated how-to guide has long be ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by For Dummies (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Auto Repair For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auto Repair For Dummies

Michelle
Sep 06, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skillz
This book was calling my name! It helped to diagnose & repair the PCV hose when the engine was dying at red lights. If you think I meant to say PVC, this book might help you too.
Elaine Nelson
Aug 12, 2010 Elaine Nelson rated it really liked it
I know basically nothing about cars. Didn't even get my license until I was 26. So I'm trying to learn, finally. I got this and one other book out of the library. Of the two, I liked this one better. Clear explanations, helpful pictures. I was able to check almost all the basic stuff under the hood of my truck, which made me feel really handy! (Also, I figured out that I was very low on coolant, and was able to top it off. Go me.) Never did finish it, for various reasons, but I think I want my o ...more
Maradox
Oct 13, 2015 Maradox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good introduction to auto repair, and a good read even if you don't have a car. We all need to know how to change a tyre as well as how to change oil and, if necessary, transmission fluid.

Reading this book also ungated other auto repair books and guides for me, for example Sullivan's Autoshop101.com as well as various repair manuals for common cars like the Honda Civic.
Lesley
Aug 24, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this in my "broke college kid" days when paying somebody else to fix my ailing POS car just wasn't an option. That being said, this book saved me an inestimable amount of money and worry, with the added bonus of teaching me how cars work. These days, with detailed "how-tos" for just about anything a Google search away, it spends most of its time collecting dust on the shelf. But when I decided to embark on an open-ended road trip a couple years back, this tome and a somewhat outdated ...more
Yurasawa
Nov 01, 2015 Yurasawa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This type of books is really today front of some youtube channels and videos
Jose
Sep 08, 2010 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I managed to avoid learning anything about cars for 30 years. Well, this was the perfect introduction to cars and car maintenance. I really enjoyed going through this book and realizing what is probably obvious to most, cars are cool. The content in the book is repetitive but that didn't really annoy me. It is a good book to start with if you know almost nothing about cars because you have been busy with your life doing other things.
Matt
Sep 17, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. I can't say I haven't learned anything from it; in fact, I've learned a lot! However, the author's personal opinions on things like pollution, alternative fuels, hybrids, and electric cars crop up everywhere and get in the way of what would normally be a great read.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in how cars work and is interested in turning a wrench under the hood now and then. If anything, it makes a great reference.
Bob
Aug 31, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so maybe I'm a dummy. But that's why I love this book so much. When I started working on my car I didn't know a carburetor from an alternator...and every other book assumed that I did. This book walks the reader through the entire car step by step giving confidence to poke and prod under the hood.

Great stuff that'll be my constant go-to resource for all things car repair.
Lacie
You probably need more tools than most of us have to save a substantial amount of money on repairs, but helps you not look so dumb when you go into the shop. We went in once to find out that we needed grease on our axle.
Shirley
An excellent introduction to the inner workings of cars at the time.

Gave me the confidence to sling the lingo with my mechanic, change my own oil and figure out what the bad noise coming out from under the hood actually was.
Les
Oct 05, 2012 Les rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check this book out at your local library! Then, realize that you can't live without it and purchase it. Make sure you get the most current edition.
torque
Feb 10, 2014 torque rated it really liked it
A pretty good introduction for car dummies like myself.
Samuel
Jun 29, 2008 Samuel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: car owners
A great book for the auto inept such as myself.
Ben
Jan 11, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wish it had much more details on common repairs.
Whitney Marie
Whitney Marie is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
Gautam Karbhase
Gautam Karbhase marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Charles Allison
Charles Allison rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Russell Boyd
Russell Boyd rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
rolandi
rolandi is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Huy Pham
Huy Pham rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • Frugal Living for Dummies
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual
  • Forensics for Dummies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »