Start by marking “Auto Repair For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Auto Repair For Dummies

Auto Repair For Dummies

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The top-selling auto repair guide--400,000 copies sold--now extensively reorganized and updated
Forty-eight percent of U.S. households perform at least some automobile maintenance on their own, with women now accounting for one third of this $34 billion automotive do-it-yourself market. For new or would-be do-it-yourself mechanics, this illustrated how-to guide has long be...more
Published November 1st 2008 by For Dummies (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Auto Repair For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auto Repair For Dummies

Michelle
This book was calling my name! It helped to diagnose & repair the PCV hose when the engine was dying at red lights. If you think I meant to say PVC, this book might help you too.
Elaine Nelson
I know basically nothing about cars. Didn't even get my license until I was 26. So I'm trying to learn, finally. I got this and one other book out of the library. Of the two, I liked this one better. Clear explanations, helpful pictures. I was able to check almost all the basic stuff under the hood of my truck, which made me feel really handy! (Also, I figured out that I was very low on coolant, and was able to top it off. Go me.) Never did finish it, for various reasons, but I think I want my o...more
Lesley
I purchased this in my "broke college kid" days when paying somebody else to fix my ailing POS car just wasn't an option. That being said, this book saved me an inestimable amount of money and worry, with the added bonus of teaching me how cars work. These days, with detailed "how-tos" for just about anything a Google search away, it spends most of its time collecting dust on the shelf. But when I decided to embark on an open-ended road trip a couple years back, this tome and a somewhat outdated...more
Jose
I don't know how I managed to avoid learning anything about cars for 30 years. Well, this was the perfect introduction to cars and car maintenance. I really enjoyed going through this book and realizing what is probably obvious to most, cars are cool. The content in the book is repetitive but that didn't really annoy me. It is a good book to start with if you know almost nothing about cars because you have been busy with your life doing other things.
Matt
Very informative. I can't say I haven't learned anything from it; in fact, I've learned a lot! However, the author's personal opinions on things like pollution, alternative fuels, hybrids, and electric cars crop up everywhere and get in the way of what would normally be a great read.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in how cars work and is interested in turning a wrench under the hood now and then. If anything, it makes a great reference.
Jared
I didn't find this book as helpful as I hoped. I came into it with pretty much zero knowledge about how cars work, so I thought it would help. And it did. I learned a lot of things that I was clueless about before. But I found a number of parts unclear. Maybe I'm just extraordinarily ignorant, but I needed a little bit more explanation. And there's a big emphasis on environmentalism, which I found unnecessary.
Bob
Ok, so maybe I'm a dummy. But that's why I love this book so much. When I started working on my car I didn't know a carburetor from an alternator...and every other book assumed that I did. This book walks the reader through the entire car step by step giving confidence to poke and prod under the hood.

Great stuff that'll be my constant go-to resource for all things car repair.
Lacie
You probably need more tools than most of us have to save a substantial amount of money on repairs, but helps you not look so dumb when you go into the shop. We went in once to find out that we needed grease on our axle.
Shirley
An excellent introduction to the inner workings of cars at the time.

Gave me the confidence to sling the lingo with my mechanic, change my own oil and figure out what the bad noise coming out from under the hood actually was.
Les
Check this book out at your local library! Then, realize that you can't live without it and purchase it. Make sure you get the most current edition.
torque
A pretty good introduction for car dummies like myself.
Samuel
Jun 29, 2008 Samuel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: car owners
A great book for the auto inept such as myself.
Ben
Wish it had much more details on common repairs.
Robbie
Robbie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Samantha Dickson
Samantha Dickson is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Ton Fiselier
Ton Fiselier marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Wouter
Wouter is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
Shane Corcoran
Shane Corcoran marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Catherine Jahnke
Catherine Jahnke marked it as to-read
Shirish Mishra
Shirish Mishra marked it as to-read
Rosibel Matta
Rosibel Matta marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Mika
Mika is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2014
Stephen Whitmore
Stephen Whitmore marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Corey Gradin
Corey Gradin marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Astrology For Dummies
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • Judaism for Dummies
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • Project Management for Dummies
Buying a Car for Dummies Auto Repair for Dummies Cars for Dummies: The Glove Compartment Guide Wheeling & Dealing for Dummies: Everything You Need to Know About Cars & Money Housemates