Start by marking “Athanasius” as Want to Read:
Athanasius

Athanasius

This book presents the fundamental elements of Athanasius' response to the central questions of the identity of Jesus and the nature of his relationship with God.

Providing a useful introduction on his life and work, the book focuses on the tumultuous doctrinal controversies of the day in which he was a central figure.

Key selections from his writings, newly translated, have
Published October 28th 2004 by Routledge (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Athanasius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Athanasius

Jacob Aitken
Broader thesis: “My position is that Athanasius’s theological vision is Irenaean” (Anatolios 4; loc. 126). The distance and (convergence) between God and man: “The theme of the immediate presence of God to creation implies an anthropology that conceives human being in terms of receptivity to this presence of God (23; loc. 477). Further, “to say that creatures are “external” to God means in fact that they participate in God” (107; loc. 2230) This is interesting because his gloss of Irenaeus ...more
Christopher
May 16, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic little book,* and it's going to be hard for me to not get overly enthusiastic about it. It begins with a very large (and very worthwhile) introduction which includes a brief biography of Athanasius and the main points in his thinking. It then has four large selections of Athanasius' writing with a brief, helpful introduction before each one.

What this means is that Athanasius is mostly allowed to speak for himself. The author thoroughly places him within his historical context
Ken McGuire
Jun 01, 2014 Ken McGuire rated it it was amazing
I once heard it put that the Greeks built great systems of philosophy, while the Latin Romans built greats roads and systems of Law. Most of us are more the intellectual heirs of Rome than Athens, and so the metaphysical hair-splitting in the Trinitarian and Christological debates of the 4th and 5th centuries - even when we see it as important - makes our eyes glaze over. And Athanasius was in the middle of these debates, fighting it out with the best of them for over forty years... This makes ...more
Jacob Aitken
Khaled Anatolios does a good job outlining Athanasius' Christology. The first 80 pages are an intro to his life and thought. Very crucial. But he adds one twist: you cannot make sense out of Athanasius's christology if you do not hold to the doctrine of theosis. For Athanasius, the whole point of Christ remaning both God and man was so that man could be divinized.

The rest of the book consists in systematic excerpts from Athanasius' works.
Vaughn
Jul 14, 2012 Vaughn rated it liked it
One of the best overall biographies I've read of Athanasius. Athanasius was a primary architect, champion and defender of what would become the Nicene Creed. That said, there are several other works that provide a good summary and overview of his life, many of which are easier to read and less technically oriented. One such example is John Piper's Contending of Our All.
Brian
Apr 13, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not finished yet, but though the Introduction be pointless, Athanasius was just great and made me feel guilty again about not having read any church fathers. Easy to see why this fiery red-headed guy went contra mundum and won. Also, I am sorry he had to get beat up by a mistranslation. Happens to the best of us.
Tyler
Mar 11, 2012 Tyler rated it it was amazing
This is a clear, crisp translation of some of the best works of Athanasius (Orations Against the Arians [portions of Book 1 and Book 2], On the Council of Nicaea, Letters to Serapion on the Holy Spirit, and To Adelphius). I highly recommend this to anyone researching Athanasius or just wanting to read more of his primary works.
Just read the chapter on Contra Gentes-De Incarnatione while researching for a paper and was duly impressed. Will be one of my go-to books if I do any further work on Athanasius.
James W. Fogal
James W. Fogal rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Jim Nash
Jim Nash rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Ibrahim Saweros
Ibrahim Saweros rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
John
Aug 23, 2007 John rated it really liked it
nonfiction,theology,history
Franklin Tait
Franklin Tait rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Rob Duford
Rob Duford rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Amy Hughes
Amy Hughes rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Mike Gibson
Mike Gibson rated it really liked it
May 04, 2007
Ashley Tetzlaff
Ashley Tetzlaff rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
R. Woods
R. Woods rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
David Mosley
David Mosley rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2011
Cherylann
Cherylann rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2011
Mike Gibson
Mike Gibson rated it really liked it
May 04, 2007
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
William Evans
William Evans rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Dustin Kegeris
Dustin Kegeris rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Jessica Jervis
Jessica Jervis rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Khaled Anatolios (PhD, Boston College) is professor of historical theology in the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. He is the author of Retrieving Nicaea: The Development and Meaning of Trinitarian Doctrine and two volumes on Athanasius.
More about Khaled Anatolios...