Start by marking “Turn Around and Run like Hell” as Want to Read:
Turn Around and Run like Hell

Turn Around and Run like Hell

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The great global conflicts of the twentieth century from the seige of ancient Babylon to Caesar's campaign.
Published January 1st 2007 by Barnes & Noble

To ask other readers questions about Turn Around and Run like Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn Around and Run like Hell

Mark
Feb 20, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I am not a big reader of history books, but am a fan of the military overall and saw this on the bargain rack at B&N, so I thought, what the hell.

The book basically jumps around to different eras and discusses one military battle which was won or utilized some unorthodox strategy. The author did a great job of setting up each situation very well so even if you didn't know about that era, he told you enough that you got the significance of everything.

Overall, I found it enjoyable. There were
David Sarkies
Mar 08, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like military history
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: history
A brief look at some interesting strategies
17 April 2009

The version of this book that I read was actually called 'Turning the Tide of Battle' but after a bit of research I discovered that these books are the same (I think). However, I have read a lot of books like this and most of them have titles like 'Great Idiots and their Impact on History' (not a real book, but you get the picture). This book is different in that it does not look at the great bungles of history (and try to turn them into a
James
May 10, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, history
Okay, but the title is overblown. Most of the stories aren't really amazing, and most of the strategies described aren't all that unconventional - basic stuff like faking a retreat to lure your enemy into a vulnerable position, feeding them phony intelligence information, setting ambushes, eavesdropping on military communication circuits, and so on. Rather than unconventional, I'd have said "indirect."

Still, an interesting read with some vivid accounts and portrayals of key people. Worth reading
Lindsy
May 21, 2009 Lindsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for the History Channel crowd. Its a fun read though. Particularly some of the events i wasn't so familiar with.
Ima
May 17, 2012 Ima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had some of the most amazing stories from history that I've read. Highly entertsining and worth every penny!
Peter
Mar 06, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, interesting stuff well told. The Maori could build a fortress like nobody's business, damn.
Kayleen
Aug 05, 2011 Kayleen rated it it was ok
Never fails to put me to sleep. May have to keep this on on the night stand.
Tom
Jan 01, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
Loose with the detailed facts but an interesting perspective on some war stories
Christopher Saxon
Christopher Saxon rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Ali Ahmed
Ali Ahmed marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
May 10, 2016
Josephus
Josephus rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Phil Turner
Phil Turner is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Kathryn Hill
Kathryn Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Melissa Knive
Melissa Knive marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Matt Howe
Matt Howe rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
HJChadd
HJChadd marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Ian Thomas
Ian Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Minn
Minn marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Jim Coutu
Jim Coutu marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Steven Holtzman
Steven Holtzman marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Dan Guire
Dan Guire rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Joseph Cummins is the author of numerous books, including Anything for a Vote: Dirty Tricks, Cheap Shots and October Surprises in U.S. Presidential Elections; A Bloody History of the World, which won the 2010 Our History Project Gold Medal Award; and the forthcoming Ten Tea Parties: Patriotic Protests That History Forgot. He lives in Maplewood, New Jersey, with his wife and daughter.
More about Joseph Cummins...