Start by marking “From Afterwit To Zemblanity: 100 Endangered Words Brought Back To Life” as Want to Read:
From Afterwit To Zemblanity: 100 Endangered Words Brought Back To Life

From Afterwit To Zemblanity: 100 Endangered Words Brought Back To Life

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When a word perfectly captures a human truth, humans respond to it in the same way that they respond to a beautiful melody. They smile. They nod their heads. They tell others of their discovery. So says Simon Hertnon in his introduction to Endangered Words, and after wrapping your tongue around the lexical rarities he offers up tohis readers, you'll have to agree Hertnon p ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by New Holland Publishers (UK)

To ask other readers questions about From Afterwit To Zemblanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Afterwit To Zemblanity

Jessica
Fantabulous read! A more in depth review to follow.

"Ambrosial": Divinely fragrant, exceptionally pleasing to taste or smell, celestial or ethereal.

"Antepenultimate": The last but two or before the next to last.

"Bleezed": Scottish word meaning affected in the eyes by alcoholic excitement, in other words, a synonym for drunk.

"Caliginous": Misty, dim, murky, obscure, dark, literally and figuratively.

"Chiaroscuro": Representation in terms of light and shade without regard or use of color; also descr
Knute Snortum
What a fun book for those who love rare words and their etymologies (origins). Simon Hertnon goes through 100 rare words, choosing his favorites, and explains them is detail. Two of these words I had heard of "in the wild": zaftig (pleasingly plump) and yoctosecond (tiny fraction of a second).

Hertnon makes a case for using each word and shows a quotation and usage. His explanations often get quite personal -- he refers often to his family -- and sometimes even preachy, but these connections hel
Brian
A fun read. The version I read was a released as "Endangered Words: A Collection of Rare Gems for Book Lovers," released in 2009. I love reading about obscure words, and this was enjoyable and light ...
Meaghan
More than just a dictionary, this book puts forth obscure-to-obsolete words, defines them and explains what makes them cool and why they should be more common. Of the hundred words, I only knew two -- "zaftig" and "philtrum" before I read the book, which I think is slightly impressive since my vocabulary is huge.

Writers and all those interested in words and language would find this worth their while.
Alexia Bullard
I LOVED this book. My friend got it for me, and it's definitely one of the best presents I've received. I'm addicted to language and words, so this was a treat.
H. Anne Stoj
Oh so many fantastic words that I'd now like to find a use for. I love all of the origin and usage nonsense. Particularly where you can find an example in literature.
Ruben
This book changed my life and continues to change my life. Thank whoever you thank for people that spend there time putting collections like this together.
Annie
Fascinating so far... even know some of the words! Will make a point of using some of them. Fav so far is antepenultimate
Rebeccapinto
Rebeccapinto marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Sonya Horbelt
Sonya Horbelt marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Zane
Zane added it
Jul 02, 2014
Morgan Huff
Morgan Huff marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Jun 06, 2014
Merideth
Merideth marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Endangered Words: A Collection of Rare Gems for Book Lovers Love and Logic: A man's guide to commitment (US edition) Clear > Concise > Compelling: How To Write Less And Achieve More