Start by marking “Firefox” as Want to Read:
Firefox

Firefox (Mitchell Gant #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,082 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A thriller set in Russia and Britain, by the author of Jade Tiger, Rat Trap, Sea Leopard, Wolfsbane and The Bear's Tears. A deadly Soviet warplane, codenamed Firefox by NATO, poses such a threat that British Intelligence and CIA decide the only answer is to hijack it.
Published May 1st 1996 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Firefox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefox

The Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
196th out of 754 books — 1,120 voters
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
256th out of 543 books — 627 voters

More lists with this book...

Naja
Craig Thomas is only scantly mentioned when people talk about the techno-thriller genre, but he definitely should be mentioned along side the likes of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy. Firefox is written in a very particular, almost staccato, style that can be a little hard to follow at first, but it has a way of instilling you with a sense of the frustration the characters are feeling. Well worth a read if you enjoy Cold War era thrillers.
Christian
I remember my birthday in 1982 for 2 main reasons - as a 14 year old I was dismayed to find out that I would have to wait until Christmas to see E.T. - and that the much anticipated 'Firefox' premiere missed my birthday by a month. Then my Father pulled out a surprise present - and encouraged me to take it up the garden to open on my own (usually an indication of it being something my mother would disapprove of). There -
In the dappled sunlight under the willow tree -
I unwrapped Craig Thomas' Fir
Michael R.
It must have been the cover that sold me on this book, because it wasn't my usual cup of tea. I was still an Agatha Christie mystery reader for the most part, back then.

But I loved this book. Back when the US was still in the Cold War with the USSR, the idea that Russia had an aircraft so far superior to anything we had or could possibly conceive of, and could blast any plane we had out of the sky... was a scary and realistic thought.

The idea to sneak a pilot into the Russia base, and steal the
Olethros
-En su estilo y en su tiempo, una pequeña joya. Aunque ha llovido desde entonces.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción (aunque sea por poco).

Lo que nos cuenta. Cuando la URSS desarrolla un cazabombardero invisible al radar, que supera Match 5 y que tiene un sistema de armamento guiado por impulsos neuronales, los servicios de inteligencia occidentales más potentes son conscientes del desequilibrio de fuerzas que supone el nuevo avión y trazan un plan para hacerse con uno de los dos prototipos existentes, i
Andrew
Ah this takes me back to my youth (yes I know back in the days when the world was black and white and sepia and scratchy down the edges) but seriously this book has a lot of history with me - back in the early days of my reading I was still exploring what I could read and what I enjoyed reading. - Now my father used to have the Readers Digest condensed editions and I remember flicking through them. They used to have colour pictures in them to entice readers to them and I remember stumbling acros ...more
Barry
Oct 04, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably
This book followed the movie closely, but filled in some gaps that the movie really didn't explain. One of the advantages of a book over a movie is that you often get a better understanding of what is going on. When a movie is filmed the director is concentrating more on the action or the drama and less on what brought the characters to think and act as they do. This gives a book more depth and scope while remaining marketable.
The drawbacks of this story are that it was one of the last movies (t
Kate Millin
This is an adventure story that is very much based in the time when Russia was a communist country. It is an old fashioned spy/ espionage story and moves really quickly. The hero, Gant, is not a very sympathetic character - but his skill as a pilot is amazing. The ways in which the characters interact with each other is interesting - I do wonder how much of this still goes on now.
Andy Moss
10p from a second hand shop ! Donna Tartt mentioned she was reading one of his books when she was on tour (to a somewhat confused silence).

Probably better known as a film - the second book was a result of the film rather than book sales. Efficient thriller although it is now showing its age (there is only one computer in Russia and a lot of squabbling over who is going to use it). The main character is the best pilot out there, and if you forget it don’t worry, it will be mentioned again and aga
Olethros

Género. Ciencia-Ficción (aunque sea por poco).

Peter Caputo
Love this book. It is a real nail biter and the movie done by Clint Eastwood is perfection. I wish they had done the 2nd book so I could see Clint master Mitchell Gant one again.
Aeshan
A good mix of clandestine action and technical details. As Cold-War novel, the technology will appear dated by today's standards but the story still delivers.
Scott Vout
Read this one about a hundred years ago.
They made a movie of it as well with Clint Eastwood as the star.

Good for its time.
Don Gubler
Great adventure thriller.
Germancho
Daaamn, this is the first book that I read in english, back when I was 13 or 14. It was so hard to move from page to page back then! Anyway it's your regular crappy Cold-War-paranoia fueled adventure story about a spy stealing a new super MiG fighter plane THAT CAN READ THOUGHTS. That's right. There's also a movie about it with Clint Eastwood... I think I saw the ending on TV once. I don't think it was particularly good either.
Raleighhunter
Great story, easy to read. You get caught in the story and read quickly. The characters are hard for Americans to understand, assuming they are real to begin with. We don't have average guys willing to die to help an espionage mission may or may not be able to go forward. But the story goes quickly so you can easily follow the hero American save the day, despite his faults.
Kamas Kirian
I read this back in the early '80's, just before Andropov was named leader of USSR, so it was kinda interesting seeing his name in the novel. I remember the novel being kind of slow moving at times and the setting painted as a very bleak place to live. But, I do remember enjoying it.
Tanvir
The book was okay. I have always liked spy thrillers set in the cold war context. And, this book was no surprise. Although, for some reason, expected to enjoy it much more than I actually did. Remember the Clint Eastwood movie that I watched when I was in school in the eighties.
John Cook
May 11, 2013 John Cook rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults only.
Recommended to John by: The movie.
This was a fast paced, suspenseful, action/espionage story. The language may not be for the young, but the characters are well developed and sympathetic. You want Gant to succeed in his mission. You hurt when some of those he comes in contact with give their lives for this mission.
Asoka
Read the book and saw the movie. A good suspense thriller and could be classified as a science fiction story at that time because of what the author has included in the book as "thought-guided weapons system."
Leon
Actually saw the movie first before I got to the chance to read the book. I have it 4 out of 5 stars because for me the aerial dogfight is not much and the focus is more on the character stealing the MiG-31
Matthew
It has been on my bookshelf a long time. I am glad I finally took it off and read it. Very enjoyable. And it makes me wonder if the KGB really was as scary as depicted in the book.... Probably was!
Wendy
I admit I read this because I saw the Clint Eastwood movie first. But it is a pretty suspenseful and fun book. A man must steal a USSR prototype plane during the Cold War.
Roberto Castellanos
Explica los puntos negros de la película y profundiza mucho más en los personajes y sus motivaciones. La película lo sigue fielmente. Lo leí en 3 o 4 días.
David Shepherd
Excellent thriller. Good story. Nicely paced. You can feel the missiles chasing you! The ending was a surprise, but remedied in the sequel.
John
Suspenseful fiction about an American jet pilot sent to USSR to steal a new Soviet war plane. I also saw the movie 3 or 4 times.
Jared
Mar 06, 2008 Jared rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Airplane, KGB & war enthusiasts
A nice story about the KGB and a futuristic plane. It was kinda hard to keep track of all the russians at first.
David Ross Wood
Really enjoyed this book. Suspense, action and very entertaining. Would readily recommend.
Marianne
my second try at reading Firefox, and I am glad I stuck with it this time. An exciting book!
Tom Barnett
This is first of the three books featuring pilot Mitchell Gantz. All three are a good read.
  • The Guns of Navarone
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • The Eiger Sanction
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3)
  • The Deep
  • Against All Enemies (Nathan Dixon, #2)
  • XPD
  • Run Silent Run Deep
  • The Dark of the Sun
  • The Third World War:  August 1985
  • The Dogs of War
  • A Prayer for the Dying
  • Running Blind
David Craig Owen Thomas was a Welsh author of thrillers, most notably the Mitchell Gant series.

The son of the Western Mail rugby union writer, JBG Thomas, Craig was educated at Cardiff High School. He graduated from University College, Cardiff in 1967, obtaining his M.A. after completing a thesis on Thomas Hardy. Thomas became an English Teacher, working in various grammar schools in the West Midl
More about Craig Thomas...

Mitchell Gant (4 books)
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • A Different War (Mitchell Gant, #4)
Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2) Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3) Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1) Sea Leopard (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #3) The Bear's Tears  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #5)