Start by marking “The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works--and How It's Transforming the American Economy” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,537 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
An award-winning journalist breaks through the wall of secrecy to reveal the many astonishing ways Wal-Mart's power affects our lives and reaches all around the world.
The Wal-Mart Effect: The overwhelming impact of the world's largest company--due to its relentless pursuit of low prices--on retailers and manufacturers, wages and jobs, the culture of shopping, the shape o
Published January 19th 2006 by Penguin Press HC, The (first published January 1st 2006)

Pige
Mar 14, 2008 Pige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who buys stuff
Having a family in the grocery business (and being a product of one of the most economically distraught states in the country-Michigan) of course likely aroused my interest in this book more than most. But, as the book so thoughtfully and throughly puts forward, Wal-Mart truly affects us all, whether we shop there or not. Now don't think that this book was simply one big stoning fest at Wal-Mart, it's not. The author covers the positive and the negative of this the largest company in the country ...more
Stephen
The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works, and How It's Transforming the American Economy
2006 Charles Fishman
352 pages

In only a little over fifty years, Wal-Mart has grown from a small five-and-dime store in rural Arkansas to an outright goliath, dominating the American, and increasingly, the global economy to an unprecedented degree. In The Wal-Mart Effect, Charles Fishman examines the secret of the corporation’s success, and explores how that success has altered
Ryan
Feb 16, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I only got to disc 3 (of 6) before I gave up. There's just only so much hating of Wal*Mart that I can do in one week.

Actually, this book did help me see that Wal*Mart is not entirely evil. Suppliers don't necessarily like them b/c Sam Walton effectively stole the pants in the relationship. However, Wal*Mart's history is riddled with several examples of what happens to ethics when low prices become the ultimate goal: breaking the law. From sexual discrimination to large-scale employment of ill
Thomas Jr.
Oct 15, 2013 Thomas Jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I know so much more about Wal-Mart now. This book goes out of its way to show both sides of the Wal-Mart story. But those sides tend to be Pro Wal-Mart city people and Anti Wal-Mart city people. The author describes Wal-Mart as a terrible shopping experience and the kind of place you only go to when you need to buy a product. This is very true if you live in a city with a lot to do. Not true in a small town.

I had the experience of living in a small town when a Super Wal-Mart moved i
james
Oct 25, 2007 james rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consumers
Overall the book does a good job laying down the issues. It asks a lot of questions and tries to answer them. The writing is well organized, written in a way anyone can understand, and is very easy to read. All the sources are cited. Wal-Mart itself was of no help witing this book, and it is clear a lot of effort went into getting the interviews.

You're going to learn a lot about Wal-Mart reading this book. If you're in a hurry, much of the writing is anecdotal and you can skip over quite a bit.
Susan
Jan 05, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you haven't read this and think you know what it says already, read it. The situation is a whole lot bigger and more to ponder than I realized. He does a wonderful job. He doesn't just slam Walmart. He really looks respectfully at the company in terms of its founder and its work ethic and its philosophy and business practices. And then he looks thoroughly and in detail at the real effects those business practices have when the company's reach changes from small Arkansas store to global mega-c ...more
Mmiller400m
I started this book because our town is currently in the process of getting a Wal-Mart. There are plenty of opinions on whether this will be a good thing or not. I tend to quickly spout that currently I drive 40 minutes or further quite often to go to a Wal-Mart that is outside of not only our town but our entire county. That money is leaving the area that could stay.

I don't think Wal-Mart is evil. They are simply trying to make as much money as possible. The same as most any other for profit b
Aliya
Jan 12, 2015 Aliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bough the audiobook and this is a great book. It is great because it explores issues related to retailing and its impact on the US economy and upon the world at large. The way Fishman goes about exploring deep issues, makes them easy to understand for a layman. Anyone with a college degree or even a high school education and some gray matter in their head, can understand the various facets of what he terms "The Wal-Mart Effect."

Chapter 1
The book begins with Fishman simplicizing (I just invente
Jean Poulos
I must admit up front that I have never been in a Wal-Mart store and there is no Wal-Mart store anywhere near where I live. My second disclaimer is I absolutely hate to shop; I rush in and obtain the items I need and rush out of the store. Since the 1960 I have made it a mission of mine to buy products made in the United States even if I have to pay more or do without if I cannot find products made in the United State or Canada.

Fishman has done extensive research for this book. He has drawn on u
Jordan Lewis
A fair take on Wal-Mart, and by extension the practices of many big businesses. What is Wal-Mart's responsibility outside of Everyday Low Prices? Where has it made a huge difference and where has it fallen short? Can Sam Walton's company clean up its image AND be the company that conquered rural America a couple of decades ago?
Byron
Nov 12, 2015 Byron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s-history
This is a thorough and well balanced account of the Walmart phenomenon. While the author is almost preachy at times in making the case for Walmart's shortcomings, he generally makes the distinction between evil intent and unfortunate outcomes. Although I have "known" since the early 70s when Walmart came to my small Arkansas home town that Walmart accelerated the death of many local small businesses, I did not fully appreciate how complicit Walmart has been in the move of American factors to for ...more
Christine
Jan 10, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this throughly engaging. Loved reading it and I'm not much for non-fiction. It definitely is something to think about and I highly recommend it. Very accessible style of writing.
TheFrugalNexus
Dec 01, 2015 TheFrugalNexus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retail
his book willstand as a testament to the past glory of Wal-Mart's hegemonic retail power. While Wal-mart hasn't been relegated to the dust bin of retail history, the spectre of Sam Walton's mega business still haunts sleepy towns and recessed villages with the looming threat of roll-back prices.
But even if the headlines heralding the decline of Wal-Mart are to be trusted, the impact that Wal-Mart has had on the retail scene have been many, these impacts are the Wal-Mart effect.

This book peels ba
Rachel
Aug 14, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As many of you know I am NOT a fan of Wal-Mart. I read this book to add fuel to my fire. As well as adding some logic behind my dislike of this megastore. My dislike of Wal-Mart came simply from trying to find a jar of sauerkraut. This was not the first time I couldn't find something in Wal-mart. But it ended up being the last time. As I was flung from employee to employee six times--I abandoned my shopping cart in the store and left. Rarely to return. I have not missed going to Wal-Mart. As a m ...more
David
Nov 22, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to enjoy this book, but I forged ahead and was surprised. This is a fascinating and eye-opening "look behind the scenes." In the early chapters, you find yourself cheering for "the largest corporation in the history of the world" as they manage to drive down prices and increase efficiency. But gradually the layers are peeled back to expose the impact of those innovations - both on the lives of employees, American producers, and overseas farms and factories. The bottom line is tha ...more
Amy
Jun 11, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book: Wal-Mart lovers, enthusiasts, conflicted shoppers and haters. I picked up this book because I hate Wal-Mart; I despise their business practices, the way they destroy small businesses and confuse the economy by creating a screen of bargains for the people, when it's the people who are ultimately getting robbed, that profits earned at my local supercenter Wal-Mart do not, after sales tax, stay in my community but go back to Bentonville, Arkansas and into the pockets ...more
Kkraemer
Sep 08, 2011 Kkraemer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! I thought it would simply be the liberal rant about big box retailers and how they destroy the very essence of American life. While the book most certainly includes that perspective, it shows a complex set of circumstances and possibilities that I'd never considered. It notes, for example, that at one point, Wal Mart wanted to be able to offer a wider range of deodorants, but their shelves were full. They needed either more space or smaller deodorants. It occurred to someon ...more
Andy Oram
Jul 24, 2012 Andy Oram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This is an important, deep, and subtle book, even though I know the facts have changed in the years since it was written. Fishman is critical of Wal-Mart overall--he believes regulation has to change to accommodate the accumulation of power by super-large companies such as Wal-Mart--but the book is not merely critical. If it were al critical, it could not address the crucial question of why so many people shop at Wal-Mart, an experience the author describes as frequently unpleasant. I thought th ...more
Mark Tuminello
May 29, 2014 Mark Tuminello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating look behind the scenes of the largest corporation in the world. Wal-Mart had some positive effects, lowering prices and increasing efficiency. Those innovations had an impact on the lives of employees, American manufacturing, and overseas farms and factories. When they lower prices, it's their decision, made with or without consent of producers. What happens when there isn't any lower you can go? Can we operate there for long?
Sep 20, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Wal-Mart is a competitive culture that has gone unchecked.
The culture permits or encourages illegal practices.

For me the book makes the case that the negative practices outweigh the positive things Wal-Mart did. Also the positive practices seem to be in Wal-Mart's past.

Fishman describes it as neither good nor bad but a new practice that needs new policy.

The book describes how sprinklers are made. Last summer, I bought a sprinkler - and it broke on the third use. This summer I bought a sprink
Anita Rudd
Jun 06, 2015 Anita Rudd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner from the first paragraph. It gives a much history of Wal-Mart as it can since the company is very private with information about itself. What does this book tell you about Wal-Mart? Pretty much everything. The company's philosophy is keeping costs of doing business low and that encompasses every aspect of the business from salaries to how suppliers manages their costs to how other companies deal with them. This was a very eyeopening book.
Daniel
Feb 23, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it
While many people complain about Wal*Mart and its impact, I have always admired the ability of Sam Walton's company to represent the consumer and their interest.

The Wal-Mart Effect is balanced and discusses the the benefits and some of the costs associated with the largest retailer. I found this to be a compelling book and I admire Wal*Mart more now then before.
Liz De Coster
Apr 18, 2014 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Evenhanded, informative, and clear even when describing complex economic relationships - Fishman does an excellent job of examining Wal-Mart from a number of angles and gives the reader space to draw their own conclusion(s). Obviously some of the information is dated, now, but other than the lack of discussion of ecommerce (aka, online shopping), the basics of his analysis still seem solid. I don't know that Fishman will persuade you to think other than you might already think going into the boo ...more
Dallan Andrus
Aug 22, 2014 Dallan Andrus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like this was a very even-handed look at the way Wal-Mart has revolutionized retail in America. Some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but through it all I felt like I would have a hard time answering the question, "Does Charles Fishman like Wal-Mart?" Well done.
Outmind
Jan 31, 2016 Outmind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Not being from America and not having any Wal-marts anywhere near me this was an insightful, and somewhat frightening read. The authors bias is off-putting sometimes, but all in all it was a good look into the dealings of this behemoth.
Mick Pletcher
Mar 21, 2015 Mick Pletcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives a great insight into how Walmart has had a detrimental effect on the environment, bullies the suppliers, and degrades goods by causing the suppliers to lower the quality in order to match the price. The book is definitely very insightful and worth reading.
Joe
Aug 17, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After an 18-year effort to keep Wal-Mart OUT of my community, it has now passed it's final hurdle(going before the State Supreme Court)and will be coming. I decided to educate myself about the company and read this book. I feel it is a fair portrayal, but I'll let anyone who reads it decide for themselves. A little about the author Charles Fishman: A Senior editor at "Fast Company". In 2005 he was awarded the prestigious Gerald Loeb Award, the highest award in business journalism, for which he w ...more
Emily Blasko levings
Really gave me insight on how one of the largest corporations in the world has it's sticky fingers in areas in our life we never even imagined. Excellent read.
Dan Hatcher
Feb 07, 2016 Dan Hatcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(audiobook) The numbers and implications the author presents are astounding. He seems to be just as fascinated as he is afraid of Wal-Mart. Business journalism at its finest.
Elizabeth Stout
Oct 12, 2014 Elizabeth Stout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how even handed this book treated Walmart. There are a lot of negatives associated with Walmart's business model but there are positives too that I wasn't aware of, including their influence on keeping inflation low and improving supply chains. Still not enough positives to change my mind about not shopping there though.
Small independent stores 2 29 Nov 25, 2008 08:18PM
  • Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business
  • Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture
  • Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism
  • China, Inc.: How the Rise of the Next Superpower Challenges America and the World
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise
  • Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping
  • The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us
  • The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel
  • The Global Class War: How America's Bipartisan Elite Lost Our Future - and What It Will Take to Win It Back
  • Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities
  • The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power
  • The Retail Revolution: How Wal-Mart Created a Brave New World of Business
  • Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
As a reporter, Charles Fishman has tried to get inside organizations, both familiar and secret, and explain how they work.
In the course of reporting about water to write The Big Thirst, Fishman has stood at the bottom of a half-million-gallon sewage tank, sampled water directly from the springs in San Pellegrino, Italy, and Poland Spring, Maine, and carried water on his head for 3 km with a group
More about Charles Fishman...

“Every time you see the Wal-Mart smiley face, whistling and knocking down the prices, somewhere there's a factory worker being kicked in the stomach. - Sherrie Ford” 0 likes
“Wal-Mart can't seem to grasp an essential fact: in 2006, the company has exactly the reputation it has earned. No, we don't give the company adequate credit for low prices. But the broken covenant Sam Walton had with how to treat store employees, the relentless pressure that hollows out companies and dilutes the quality of their products, the bullying of suppliers and communities, the corrosive secrecy, the way Wal-Mart has changed our own perception of price and quality, of value and durability--none of these is imaginary, or trivial, or easily changed with a fresh set of bullet points, an impassioned speech, and a website heavy with "Wal-Mart facts".

If Wal-Mart does in fact double the gas mileage of its truck fleet, and thereby double the gas mileage of every long-haul truck in America, that will be huge. It will change gas consumption in the United States in a single stroke. But it hasn't happened yet. And even if it does, it will not make Wal-Mart a good company or a good corporate partner or a good corporate citizen.”
0 likes