Start by marking “Magician's Nephew: Full-Color Collector's Edition (Chronicles of Narnia (HarperCollins Paperback))” as Want to Read:

Magician's Nephew: Full-Color Collector's Edition (Chronicles of Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  246,891 ratings  ·  6,590 reviews
The secret passage to the house next door leads to a fascinating adventure.
Published September 1st 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Magician's Nephew, please sign up.

TWW The original order of the serie is: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of…moreThe original order of the serie is: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

J.G. Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
Mar 04, 2014 Eyebright rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: classics, 2008-books
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Feb 29, 2008 Deborah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 10, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos group
Shelves: childrens, series
I really liked how C. S. Lewis imagined how those things that he earlier introduced in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came into existence: the kingdom of Narnia, the professor, the witch, the wardrobe and the lamp-post. Wiki says that Lewis wrote this right after publishing that first book (in order of publication) but it took him 6 years to finish it. That's probably the reason why this became Book 6 (again in order of publication).

I am glad that I've read this as my third book and not th
The Creation of Narnia
(A Book Review of The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis)

For readers who have started their journey in the magical land of Narnia by means of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (and subsequent books in the series following the original order by publication), one can’t help but wonder how had this fantastical realm ruled by a majestic lion and inhabited by talking animals, fauns, dryads and naiads, along with equally ghastly creatures, came to be.

Previous instalments woul
Um dos meus objetivos para 2015 era ler "As Crónicas de Nárnia" e comecei o ano logo super entusiasmada para o fazer, especialmente porque a Cata (Páginas Encadernadas), a Jojo (Os Devaneios da Jojo) e a Mary (Mary Red Hair) me estão a acompanhar!

Sempre adorei todos as adaptações destas histórias para cinema e estava bem curiosa para saber como seriam as originais.

Decidimos ler por ordem cronológica, por isso a primeira história foi "O Sobrinho do Mágico". Surpreendi-me desde logo pela escrita d
หยิบขึนมาอานดวยความรูสึกทีวาตองเบือ ตองงวงๆแน เพราะนีเปนวรรณกรรมคลาสสิคทีแฝงไปดวยคำสอนทางศาสนามากมาย แตทีไหนได...แคหนาแรกกดูดเรากลับไปยังวันวานเกาๆทีคุณยายนังอานหนังสือนิทานใหฟังในวันทีฝนตกปรอยๆ(ความรูสึกเรามันเปนแบบนันจริงๆนะ) เราชอบเสียงในการเลาเรืองของลูอิสมากๆ มันคลาสสิค มันชัดเจน มันทำใหเราคลายๆวามองทังองครวมของเรืองผานมุมกลองทีคอยๆแพนแลวขยายใหญขึนเรือยๆ เราวามันเจงนะ...เพราะไมคิดวาแคตัวอักษรมาเรียงๆกันจะทำใหเรารูสึกไดมากมายขนาดนี

The Magician's Nephew แฝงไปดวยคำสอนทางศาสนาคริสต ทีเราวามันชั
Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)
Well isn't this a pleasant surprise! I should explain:I have been struggling for quite awhile with this series. Having not gone to an English speaking school, I never read The Chronicles of Narnia growing up. I have to admit I discovered the film versions first. Then,I attempted to read it right after 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' came out, but at that time, I had a hard time with C.S.Lewis' style. He tends to constantly insert the author’s voice, and I found it broke the fantasy bubb ...more
Really DULL - the writing, the story, the main characters were all utterly boring. It was a struggle to get through so short a book - I honestly thought it would never end.

The protagonists, Polly and Digory, had very little personality — they've got to be two of the blandest characters I've ever read. Them talking like adults instead of like kids didn't help matters… Maybe all kids back in the day sounded like that? Their adventures and discoveries in other worlds should have been at least somew
David Sarkies
Nov 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: fantasy
Narnia's Creation Myth
8 August 2013

I simply love the writings of C.S. Lewis. Okay, I may not necessarily agree with everything he writes (and I would be an idiot if I did) but I have always found his works, whether they are children's books (such as this one) or deep theological tracts (such as The Weight of Glory) to be incredibly well written, almost as if he were a master of the English language. In fact as I read this particular work it simply struck me how well he was able to use the Engli
Xime García

Fue una relectura preciosa. No puedo creer que hace ocho años este libro no me gustaba, incluso no logré terminarlo. ¿Cómo es que no pude gustar de esta historia? La forma de narrar de Lewis es sencilla y a la vez poética. Describe las situaciones más mágicas de manera que uno pueda sentirlas a flor de piel. Fue fácil sumergirme en estos mundos fantásticos que Polly y Digory visitaban, fue más sencillo que imag
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Pure enchantment. It's nice when you get old enough to start reading fairy tales again.

This is a prequel, meant to be read before the others in the series, but I had never read it. Now I know why there is a lamppost in Narnia, and why the wardrobe is the way to reach Narnia, and how Jadis the Witch ended up there accidentally, and all manner of other important stuff. I have to admit I got a little sniffly at the end there when the origin of the wardrobe was explained.

I thought the dialogue in t
Imagine Alice jumping in and out of her rabbit hole, with the Ring of Mordor at her disposal where she could transport herself between space and time interspersed with the formation of Noha's Ark -on land - that's pretty much the Magicians Nephew for you. I loved it. And knowing where that magical wardrobe from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe comes from was amazing.
Honestly, I thought I would find this book boring and uninteresting unlike the first book of the series. I have to stop at the end of first chapter because I find the story very slow and flat so I decided to try the Lion, the Witch and the Wizard first, and have a glimpse of Narnia through the adventures of the Pevensie siblings. I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed the movie that I decided to go back to the first book of the series and see the creation of Narnia.

My second attempt to read th
mark monday
my first bookmobile book. I remember the horrible old man in the bookmobile looked at my library card and asked me "Is that a Pollack name?" and I just looked at him because I didn't know what that even was. later I read the book and developed a long-lasting crush on the villainess. poor villainess, all she wanted to do was rule all of time and space and envelop everything in endless winter. a laudable goal!
The Narnia books have always been some of my favourites. There's always been a magic in it for me, even now I'm twenty -- I never got to the age where I was too old for fairytales. That, or I passed through it so quickly I'm already out the other side.

I know that for a lot of people, the magic is spoiled when they find out that Aslan is really Jesus, that this first book is an allegory for Genesis, that the whole thing is full of Christian themes. I nearly always knew, though, and figured it out
What Lewis has done with this book is rare. Every time I read it I'm so impressed with how beautiful a story it is and all the biblical metaphors. In its essence it's a child's fairytale, but the meanings are deep and come from a place that only my adult self can truly grasp and understand. So many great themes/lessons of leadership, friendship, family, and that choices define the course of our lives is remarkably written into the story.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis is one of the books in his series, the Chronicles of Narnia in which Christianity is portrayed through various fantasy creatures. God, for instance is portrayed as a talking Lion. What a wonderful series! What child hasn’t climbed into a closet and explored the back cracks in hope of finding an entrance to a new and exciting world after reading this book? I used to sit in a closet with the door closed and a flashlight reading my favorite books aft ...more
“The Magician’s Nephew” by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read “The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe” when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This book isn’t about anyone I was fam
Well this was quite a fun read i must say. Nice theology lesson and bit of history for the Chronicles of Narnia. But somehow the book is way to short. Couple more pages wouldn't have hurt. But still jolly good.

If you've seen the movies or read some of the books it's almost a necessary step for you to read this.
**review in Progress**

Originally read: Many years ago.
Nov 2015 was my third time reading this book.

This is one of my favorites in the entire series. It is the creation and beginning of Narnia. It ties so much of the story together and really lets you know who and what the queen is. And just how powerful Aslan is.

Meet Diggory and Polly as the journey to other worlds. The forest of pools is amazing and I wish we got to see some of the other worlds!I love these two characters. From their attic exp
A British kid named Digory and his friend Polly get sent into another world by Digory's jackass magician uncle through the use of magic rings. They find themselves in a wood where leaping into one of the many pools of water will take you into a different world. Magical hijinks ensue, and we get to read about the history of the White Witch and see the creation of Narnia. I don't know if I'm the only one who thought this, but I especially liked the part that explained how the lamp post got there. ...more
Reseña ya disponible en el blog

Hace años había comenzado a leer esta saga, pero al llegar al tercero (en orden cronológico) me aburrí tanto que la dejé. Ordenando mi biblioteca hace casi más de un año, la saga de Narnia reapareció ante mí llena de polvo, y decidí unirme a un reto para recordarme constantemente que tenía que terminar esta saga. ¡Y lo hice! No a tiempo, pero lo hice al fin.
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
These books have officially conquered me. I once watched a movie, true story, about a ship that went out in a fierce storm. I watched it because I thought Stephen King wrote it. My wife watched because she wanted to see this excited adventure story about a group of men overcoming obstacles. We both kicked ourselves afterwards, both wrong. Well, Stephen King wrote “The Storm of the Century,” not “The Perfect Storm.” Top that with the fact that my wife cried in “Finding Nemo,” and we have a perfe ...more
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • The Light Princess
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1351 likes
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1276 likes