Start by marking “Staying Healthy with the Seasons” as Want to Read:
Staying Healthy with the Seasons

Staying Healthy with the Seasons

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Nature'?s cycles affect not only the external climate, but also our internal health and mental well-being. With this as its primary tenet, STAYING HEALTHY WITH THE SEASONS revolutionized the fields of preventive and integrated medicine when it was first published in 1981, and introduced a seasonal approach to nutrition, disease prevention, and mind-and-body fitness. A lead ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Celestial Arts (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Staying Healthy with the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying Healthy with the Seasons

Jackie
Total quackary. The introduction, basics and conclusion are pure garbage. Astrology? Seriously?

But that said, I do like the idea of paying attention to the seasons and how our body and mind need different things at different times of the year. So I will continue to keep it around and read each season as it comes.

Kateburgau
Aug 21, 2008 Kateburgau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the very best books I've ever read about how to keep balance in the body during the different seasons of the year.... Very important to people living in places like minnesota who experience such extreme cycles.
Freya
Nov 13, 2013 Freya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-read
I love this book! I got to hear Dr. Haas lecture at the 15th annual UCSF Integrative Medicine conference and it was a great experience. Marin County has a gem and his name is Dr. Haas.
Loree
Oct 21, 2008 Loree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in being healthy
Recommended to Loree by: Joshual Rosenthal
Elson Haas, the author is someone I took instruction from at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. He is the founder and director of the Preventive Medical Center in San Rafael, California.

This book provides readers with good advice about how to be in balance with nature and ideas about how to be synchronized with the seasons. What I like about this book is that it blends Eastern healing traditions with those of the West. He relates winter to the Chinese Five Element System, provides suggesti
Anna Long
May 12, 2010 Anna Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great simple guide to understanding how the season impact out health and how we can work with the season to achieve optimal health. Also super helpful when studying Chinese Medicine. Give greater depth and explanation to the elements.
Artemis
Nov 18, 2015 Artemis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read, I had to take notes and memorize certain details. Very informative book that basis it's principles of eastern natural medicine and, two great forces: Yin and Yang
Tami
Aug 26, 2014 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a book that i have been picking up constantly for the past 15 years. I especially pull it out every spring. if you are interested in Chinese medicine, this book is a must read.
Emily
Jan 21, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humans
Shelves: reference
Balance your body throughout the changing seasons. Explains how body functions change throughout the year, which organs are active. Based in Chinese wellness philosophy.
Jenny Stringham
Mar 24, 2016 Jenny Stringham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've actually had this book around for years as kind of a reference book. I like a lot of the ideas, but you do have to take some of it with a grain of salt. ;)
Jessica
May 23, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
A little outdated - well, it was written in the 1980s - but still good general information. I liked the Chinese Medicine presentation and explanation.
Catrina
Jan 09, 2008 Catrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative but too wordy at times for a beginner and doesn't really mention how seasons and foods are different in different parts of the world.
Gea
Aug 07, 2007 Gea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chinese holism - organs, seasons, foods
Good recipes, easy to read, intersting perspective and introduction to Chinese holism, thinking, systems. Just look at the cover; doesn't it look welcoming?
Brenda
The five Chinese elements and guide to nutritional medicine with a year - round eating plan and detox diets and build healthy eating habits.
Principle Based Learning
Click here for the full article on: Health and Nutrition
Laraine
Jul 17, 2009 Laraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My instructor suggested this book. I haven't read all the way through, but I'm constantly finding reasons to pick it up.
Christina Leftwich
Keeping this book for future reference! ! Good resource for natural health info in sync with the seasons!
Samra
Jul 26, 2012 Samra rated it liked it
Ending tying in astrology was good. Overall interesting but some out dated data.
Apr 12, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book - know what to eat with the seasons and why. Buy locally produced food!
Adam Hunter
Jan 30, 2012 Adam Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good summary, better as reference than to be read cover to cover .
Mary
Apr 26, 2008 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recomended by Massage Therapy teacher.
Otis
Feb 05, 2008 Otis rated it it was amazing
folk medicine for the freaks
Megan
Jun 17, 2009 Megan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
From the library sale--yay!
Alice Barnes
Good suggestions overall.
Aqiylah
Aug 29, 2013 Aqiylah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my first books on holistic health, I turn to it frequently. By far his best book ever, Hass covers the body systems in relation to the seasons, and how to support health and maintain balance through the use of food, herbs, fitness, astrology and more. There is also an appendix with health charts and assessment tools for the practitioner. I love this book and recommend it highly!
Rachel
Sep 11, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-library
re-reading.
Frannie
Frannie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Marina
Marina is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2016
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Cristina Garcia
Cristina Garcia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Laila
Laila marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Food and Healing
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments
  • Your Inner Physician and You: CranoioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release
  • Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation