The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder

The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  19 reviews

"A particularly astute analysis of the television coverage of the campaign, the election, and the political aftermath."�Newsday

The Bush Dyslexicon is a raucously funny ride�whether it's Bush envisioning "a foreign-handed foreign policy" or Miller skewering vociferous cultural conservatives like William Bennett and Lynne Cheney for their silence on Bush's particular "W...more
Published June 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2001)

All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinMy Country 'Tis of Thee by Keith EllisonMeans of Ascent by Robert A. CaroMaster of the Senate by Robert A. CaroThe Path to Power by Robert A. Caro
American Politics
83rd out of 95 books — 52 voters
9/11 Contradictions by David Ray GriffinTakeover by Charlie SavageAmerica's Deadliest Export by William BlumHow Bush Rules by Sidney BlumenthalThe Book on Bush by Eric Alterman
Top Political Books
26th out of 36 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Zack
Mark Crispin Miller breaks a lot of the semantics and speaking patterns of George W. Bush from his initial presidential campaign and his first few months in office.

Aside from the introduction and the afterwards, this book was written before September 11.

Miller notes that Bush is most at ease when talking about punishment and war which further explains his enormous rise in popularity following the terrorist attacks.

It's when Bush talks about anything else, such as health care, the working poor...more
Ted
As somebody else mentioned, the author was right on in his assessment. Bush is no idiot--he just shares the complete disdain and disinterest of the poor and middle class of other absolutely spoiled, rich brats. So when he has to speak on things he cares nothing about, he flubs up big time.

I wanted to dock this book another star just because I can't stand looking at this man's face on the cover!
Deborah
Thinking back on this book, Crispin Miller is a genius- and really got Bush spot on at a time that everyone thought he was just a bumbling idiot- not a ruthless astute man who pretends to be an idiot for just appeal.

The book is just a really interesting read.
Janel
Thinking back, this is a strange book I don't think I fully appreciated when I read it. Maybe it's worth a re-read at the end of W's term.
William Becque
If ever you want to feel as like the President of the free world was dumber than you, this books for you. Bush admits to having dyslexia, as he says in an interview “That woman who knew I had dyslexia- I never interviewed her.”

Book is also chalked full of Bushisms; my favorites
“Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness.”
“Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
“My opponent won't tell you where he stands on this issue. H...more
Kmann
First third of this book was garbage (100 pages or so) - I almost gave the book up due to it being highly complex, lacking cohesion, lacking in consistent theme, and simple things such as an introduction. I found myself trying to figure out the point of long paragraphs of text. It did not help that author was not consistent in the use of Bush Senior, Elder Bush, Bush, etc. I think that the first third was somewhat a background into Bush's is important but a systematic introduction would have bee...more
Cwn_annwn_13
This is a somewhat amusing outdated book that mainly quotes various statements to spew from the mouth of one G.W Bush during the first year of his presidency.

It goes without saying for me that Bush has absolutely no input as to what decisions are made but the real question in my mind is if he has brain damage from the years of drug and alcohol abuse, is he drunk or high on acid while giving interviews and speeches, is he just that dumb or is he a great actor that is intentionally playing the ro...more
Peggy Euteneier
The author is a professor of media studies at NYU and makes a serious point that "only because our elections have become so dependent on televion and its emphatic emptiness could a man of such sublime and complacent ignorance assume the highest office in the land." He spends a lot of time analyzing television and the media in general and skewers them completely. The quotes of Bush (and his father) are stupifying, and I am left shaking my head that such a person could twice become president of th...more
Tom Darrow
A very strong argument against Bush and the people and powers that got him into power. The intro section was a bit verbose and some of the author's points are more fully developed in more recent works. I would classify this a the forerunner in anti-Bush writing, however. Hopefully, Miller will write a follow-up now that Bush is out of office.
Amy
Dec 26, 2007 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: your right-wing brother
Although this was marketed as a goofy Bushisms collection, Miller actually makes a thought-provoking analysis of why the President can't speak properly, especially when he has to seem compassionate or empathetic. (Hint: it's because he doesn't give a shit about people.)
Amanda Patterson
You have to read this book. You will be left speechless and gobsmacked and really perturbed that this man was president. It's unbelievable. I don't think anyone will learn not to vote for someone like him again but you will be entertained.
Jules
Crispin Miller was a professor of mine at NYU. He's an asshole. He's also conspiratorial, slightly paranoid, and spot on. An interesting book by an utter narcissist.
Nelida
Feb 10, 2008 Nelida rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!
I am currently reading this book. What I have read, its astounding! It is entertaining and scary at the same time.
Michael
An outstanding book on the misuse of language and media on the political right. It's disturbing.
Adebayo Oyagbola
Hilarious. A cautionary tale of what traits to avoid when electing a president.
Jeremy
An exploration of what Bush's mangled speech says about his mangled mind.
Jessica
Nov 06, 2008 Jessica added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Bought and read before hating Bush was popular.
Matthew Matheson
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Mar 09, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Tracie
Tracie added it
Dec 22, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Cruel and Unusual: Bush/Cheney's New World Order Boxed In: The Culture of TV Fooled Again: How the Right Stole the 2004 Election & Why They'll Steal the Next One Too (Unless We Stop Them) Loser Take All: Election Fraud and The Subversion of Democracy, 2000-2008 Seeing Through Movies (Pantheon Guide to Popular Culture)