Start by marking “The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder” as Want to Read:
The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder

The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Bush Dyslexicon is a raucously funny ride—whether it's Bush envisioning "a foreign-handed foreign policy" or Miller skewering vociferous cultural conservatives like William Bennett and Lynne Cheney for their silence on Bush's particular "West Texas version of Ebonics." But there is also a strong undercurrent of outrage. Only because our elections have become so depende ...more
Published June 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bush Dyslexicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bush Dyslexicon

All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinMaster of the Senate by Robert A. CaroMeans of Ascent by Robert A. CaroThe Path to Power by Robert A. CaroTruman by David McCullough
American Politics
109th out of 140 books — 74 voters
The Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanThe Hunting of the President by Joe ConasonBlinded by the Right by David BrockThe Republican Noise Machine by David BrockPiety & Politics by Barry W. Lynn
Top Political Books
31st out of 39 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Zack
Jul 01, 2008 Zack rated it really liked it
Mark Crispin Miller breaks a lot of the semantics and speaking patterns of George W. Bush from his initial presidential campaign and his first few months in office.

Aside from the introduction and the afterwards, this book was written before September 11.

Miller notes that Bush is most at ease when talking about punishment and war which further explains his enormous rise in popularity following the terrorist attacks.

It's when Bush talks about anything else, such as health care, the working poor
William Becque
Aug 01, 2010 William Becque rated it liked it
If ever you want to feel as like the President of the free world was dumber than you, this books for you. Bush admits to having dyslexia, as he says in an interview “That woman who knew I had dyslexia- I never interviewed her.”

Book is also chalked full of Bushisms; my favorites
“Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness.”
“Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
“My opponent won't tell you where he stands on this issue. H
Ted
Jul 12, 2007 Ted rated it really liked it
Shelves:
As somebody else mentioned, the author was right on in his assessment. Bush is no idiot--he just shares the complete disdain and disinterest of the poor and middle class of other absolutely spoiled, rich brats. So when he has to speak on things he cares nothing about, he flubs up big time.

I wanted to dock this book another star just because I can't stand looking at this man's face on the cover!
Deborah
Mar 07, 2007 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Thinking back on this book, Crispin Miller is a genius- and really got Bush spot on at a time that everyone thought he was just a bumbling idiot- not a ruthless astute man who pretends to be an idiot for just appeal.

The book is just a really interesting read.
Janel
Jan 22, 2008 Janel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thinking back, this is a strange book I don't think I fully appreciated when I read it. Maybe it's worth a re-read at the end of W's term.
Kelv
Feb 27, 2014 Kelv rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First third of this book was garbage (100 pages or so) - I almost gave the book up due to it being highly complex, lacking cohesion, lacking in consistent theme, and simple things such as an introduction. I found myself trying to figure out the point of long paragraphs of text. It did not help that author was not consistent in the use of Bush Senior, Elder Bush, Bush, etc. I think that the first third was somewhat a background into Bush's is important but a systematic introduction would have bee ...more
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 13, 2008 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it liked it
This is a somewhat amusing outdated book that mainly quotes various statements to spew from the mouth of one G.W Bush during the first year of his presidency.

It goes without saying for me that Bush has absolutely no input as to what decisions are made but the real question in my mind is if he has brain damage from the years of drug and alcohol abuse, is he drunk or high on acid while giving interviews and speeches, is he just that dumb or is he a great actor that is intentionally playing the ro
Peggy Euteneier
Oct 12, 2011 Peggy Euteneier rated it it was amazing
The author is a professor of media studies at NYU and makes a serious point that "only because our elections have become so dependent on televion and its emphatic emptiness could a man of such sublime and complacent ignorance assume the highest office in the land." He spends a lot of time analyzing television and the media in general and skewers them completely. The quotes of Bush (and his father) are stupifying, and I am left shaking my head that such a person could twice become president of th ...more
Tom Darrow
Jul 01, 2011 Tom Darrow rated it it was amazing
A very strong argument against Bush and the people and powers that got him into power. The intro section was a bit verbose and some of the author's points are more fully developed in more recent works. I would classify this a the forerunner in anti-Bush writing, however. Hopefully, Miller will write a follow-up now that Bush is out of office.
Amy
Dec 26, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: your right-wing brother
Although this was marketed as a goofy Bushisms collection, Miller actually makes a thought-provoking analysis of why the President can't speak properly, especially when he has to seem compassionate or empathetic. (Hint: it's because he doesn't give a shit about people.)
Amanda Patterson
Aug 20, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it liked it
You have to read this book. You will be left speechless and gobsmacked and really perturbed that this man was president. It's unbelievable. I don't think anyone will learn not to vote for someone like him again but you will be entertained.
Jules
Mar 08, 2007 Jules rated it really liked it
Crispin Miller was a professor of mine at NYU. He's an asshole. He's also conspiratorial, slightly paranoid, and spot on. An interesting book by an utter narcissist.
Nelida
Feb 10, 2008 Nelida rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!
I am currently reading this book. What I have read, its astounding! It is entertaining and scary at the same time.
Michael
Dec 20, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book on the misuse of language and media on the political right. It's disturbing.
Adebayo Oyagbola
Dec 16, 2012 Adebayo Oyagbola rated it really liked it
Hilarious. A cautionary tale of what traits to avoid when electing a president.
Jeremy
May 27, 2009 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: stuff-i-read
An exploration of what Bush's mangled speech says about his mangled mind.
Jessica
Nov 06, 2008 Jessica added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Bought and read before hating Bush was popular.
Matthew Matheson
Jan 28, 2008 Matthew Matheson marked it as to-read
Read other Mark Miller books
Dereck
Oct 07, 2008 Dereck rated it it was amazing
I arrr smart!!!
"Jeff" Hall
"Jeff" Hall rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Henning Svensson
Henning Svensson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Roni
Roni added it
May 15, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
LeAnn Joswick
LeAnn Joswick marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency
  • Fortunate Son: George W. Bush and the Making of an American President
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • Takeover: The Return of the Imperial Presidency and the Subversion of American Democracy
  • A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • A Century of Dishonor: A Sketch of the United States Government’s Dealings with some of the Indian Tribes
  • The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century
  • The Radical Reader: A Documentary History of the American Radical Tradition
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • A   Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • Sacco and Vanzetti: The Men, the Murders, and the Judgment of Mankind