Start by marking “Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable ” as Want to Read:
Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable

Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable (Nicola Davies Science series)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A noted zoologist teams up with a playful illustrator to present a fun, fact-filled guide to the fascinating (if not fragrant) world of poop across species.

Hippos navigate by it, sloths keep in touch through it, dung beetles eat it . . . and most grownups would rather not to mention it. Meanwhile, scientists who study animal feces find out all sorts of things, such as how
Published August 3rd 2004 by Candlewick (first published August 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Poop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poop

Sherry Knight
Got this book as a gift, and I love it! Easy to read with cute illustrations. A lot of interesting facts about poop. There's lot to learn about animals and their poop! This book makes it fun to learn about the significance of poop to animals
Disgusting, funny and very informative! I know way more about poop than I ever thought I would want to know. Kids would love this book, with the great illustrations and informative yet accessible narration. Parents will learn a lot as well! You'll never look at poop the same again.
Joanne Allen
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Nonfiction, Middle School, Picture Book, Juvenile Nonfiction, Humorous Stories

Estimate of grade level of interest- 3-7

Estimate of reading level- Grade 4+

Brief description- This illustrated picture book provides a history of animals’ body waste, to include humans, animals, and types of bugs and insects. Humor is added to maintain audience engagement.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear
The writing in this book blew my mind. Engaging, fascinating, funny text with remarkably clear explanations, including the most concise explanation of urine ever.
I learned a lot from this book. Seriously. It was very fun and informative. I would recommend it to anyone interested in animal science!
Surprisingly interesting and informative. The kids and I enjoyed it, laughed a bit and learned a lot.
I learned a lot about animals' poop- and third graders will love reading about it.
The illustrations and narration were surprisingly endearing/informative. Fun.
what a fascinating book :)
A Megan classic.
Rachel Dallaire
this book is awesome
Lynda Spadaccini
i now know that rabbits eat their own poo, but only the first lot of poo, the second does not have the same nutritional value. and i also learnt that bats poo a lot, there are pools of bat poo in bat caves ... so dont go there. thanks yoz!
Townes v. Z.
More than I needed to know, but what does one expect when they check out a book titled Poop? Overall, very informative and the drawings were good- would have been better (more authentic) if they'd been drawn by an actual child.
Just about everything you've ever wondered about poop, but were too polite to ask, is answered here. Surprisingly un-juvenile and crass, given the subject matter. If I had a child this would take the place of "See Spot Run."
This was a great book about poop! I didn't realize that there was so much to know about poop. The book gives you a different perspective and shows kids that poop has many uses and can tell us lots of different things.
Who knew that a book about poop would be so interesting but it was. I feel like I learned about animals of all kinds and have a greater respect for how nature works. Look forward to sharing this book with some students.
Miko Bailey
I got this book for my like 6th birth day! It is so Funny, I would read it everytime had to go! THis book really encourages kids to go when they need to and not to go in there undies!
A scientific look at poop with just a smidge of humor to keep the kids reading. Well-done, accessible facts that are explained in a kid-friendly way without watering it down too much.
Sep 30, 2013 Amity rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids, poop
This book has great pictures and info about pooping, including a discussion of how going poop is taking out your body's trash. It is fun and informative, a favorite at our house.
Perfect for middle school boys who like a little gross humor. Except, they may be surprised at all they actually learn from reading this book!
Sarah D'Arco
Entertaining and informative! Love the team of Nicola Davies and Neal Layton - their collaboration results in fun books packed with great facts!
A factual picture book about poop. Did you know koala moms have to feed their babies poop? I didn't until I read this book.
Kris McCracken
C'mon! Everything you ever wanted to know about faeces! Fascinating. A.
Did you know that rabbits eat their own poop? This book very interesting.
This book is weird and interesting at the same time.
Everyone makes it so why not learn about it.
Hilarious! My 6th graders loved it!
i learned so much from this one :D
So many interesting facts about poop!
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Prehistoric Actual Size
  • Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Frog Song
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen
  • Redwoods
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Lizards
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • The Elephant Scientist (Scientist in the Field Series)
  • Lady Liberty: A Biography
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual
  • Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...

Nicola Davies Science series (5 books)
  • Extreme Animals: The Toughest Creatures on Earth
  • What's Eating You?: Parasites -- The Inside Story
  • Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication
  • Deadly!: The Truth About the Most Dangerous Creatures on Earth
Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature Just Ducks! One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder The Promise