Start by marking “Six Against the Yard” as Want to Read:
Six Against the Yard

Six Against the Yard

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Who better to commit the perfect murders than the world's greatest mystery writers? Six masters have devised foolproof homicides that have withstood the scrutiny of Scotland Yard. The Detection Club gets away with murder in this compendium of crime.
Published October 1st 1989 by Berkley (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Six Against the Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Against the Yard

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. SayersWhose Body? by Dorothy L. SayersStrong Poison by Dorothy L. SayersBusman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. SayersMurder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers
Dorothy L. Sayers
62nd out of 66 books — 21 voters
Rumpole of the Bailey by John MortimerThe Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtLet The Great World Spin by Colum McCannA Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
In Balance
12th out of 14 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

MaryG2E
The Detection Club is a real life association of British crime writers which formed in 1930 and continues to this day. The writers met socially, shared ideas and knowledge, and collaborated on stories that they were working on. The members agreed to adhere to a code which would give their readers a reasonable chance to figure out ‘whodunit’:
“Do you promise that your detectives shall well and truly detect the crimes presented to them using those wits which it may please you to bestow upon them an
Nikki
I got this book mostly for the Dorothy L. Sayers story, of course, but I was interested in the premise, too. Six master mystery writers, including Margery Allingham and Dorothy Sayers, took it upon themselves to write a short story each in which someone committed the perfect murder. And then, in response, an ex-Superintendent of the CID explained the ways he thought that perfect crime could be picked apart.

Cornish didn't seem to think any of the six would really 'pass', for various reasons, but
Damaskcat
Aug 30, 2015 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six famous crime writers set out to commit the perfect murder and a former Scotland Yard detective - in real life - comments on whether he thinks the murders were incapable of detection. I must admit to being as interested in the detectives comments as I was in the stories themselves as they were well written and show how much emphasis the police pay to small details which could well be overlooked by ordinary people and crime writers alike.

I thought the murders described were really gruesome an
Cybercrone
Dec 07, 2015 Cybercrone rated it did not like it
This book was a real dog's breakfast.
I really like the "old" mystery writers - they're what I grew up on. So the stories here were of a familiar type and I had read some of the authors.
HOWEVER, especially the second story, the OCR program used (I'm presuming) garbles the text so badly that, especially at the beginning of the story, there were whole passages which were incomprehensible. They sounded as if they'd been written by the translation program FaceBook uses (just try that one sometime!).
Anwen
Jan 18, 2016 Anwen rated it really liked it
An interesting premise. Six mystery writers, at the top of their game, write about the 'perfect murder'. A retired superintendant of Scotland Yard then comments on whether the murder is, indeed, perfect, or whether the police would solve it.

I mainly picked this up because two of the stories were written by Allingham and Sayers - and those were the two I enjoyed the most. Of the remaining four stories, one was marred by the odd line appearing to be missing, two I disliked intensely, and one was
Laura Verret
So, the tagline for this book is ‘Who Better to Commit the Perfect Murders than the World’s Greatest Mystery Writers?’ but from the description on the back, I couldn’t tell if these stories were written by the ‘world’s greatest mystery writers’, or were about them. I bought it anyway. Turns out they were by. ; )

The idea behind this book was for six great detective writers – Margery Allingham, Anthony Berkeley, Freeman Wills Crofts, Father Ronald Knox, Dorothy Sayers, and Russell Thorndike – to w
Robin Stevens
Sep 08, 2014 Robin Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six short, sharp and brilliantly twisty 'perfect murders' from 1930s greats. If I could travel to any part of time, and do anything, I think I'd like to be part of the original Detective Club. Just think of all the interesting murder conversations we could have had . . .
Jules Goud
Wow. It's been a while since I've done this...

Anyways, I was quite impressed with "Six Against the Yard". There was really one story that I didn't enjoy.

I found the idea so fascinating. Six authors vs an ex-superintendent of the Scotland Yard.

The idea of a perfect murder is one that has been around for a while. And the question is, is there ever a perfect murder? Did any of these authors do it? Well, my friends, you will have to read the book to find out!

I personally believe that there is no s
Marc Diepstraten
Feb 22, 2015 Marc Diepstraten rated it liked it
A bit disappointing actually. A total of 6 short stories: Perfect Murders which after conclusion are dissected by a policeman of the Yard. Most of these stories are quite good. The trouble I'm having with it is the second part in which the murders are supposedly solved. Leaps and bounds are taken with snippets of information used in the story, which would never be known to the police to prove it actually isn't a perfect murder. For certain stories it goes to extremes in such a way it becomes irr ...more
Polly
Six short murder stories (not actually mysteries, in most cases, as almost all are narrated by the murderer), each supposed to be "the perfect murder", by famous mystery authors of the first half of the 20th century, and then a retired Scotland Yard detective weighs in and tells you why they aren't perfect. The stories range between mildly entertaining and extremely well-done (not surprisingly, the Dorothy Sayers entry is the best, although I've read it elsewhere), but I find the police commenta ...more
Deanne
Mar 10, 2015 Deanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimethriller
Six stories of the perfect murder as told by six members of the detective club. The stories are good, the solving is a bit of a stretch.
Diane
Feb 23, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Some stories were better than others but still a good read, something different.
Jyoti
Jul 09, 2015 Jyoti rated it really liked it
The shorts stories were great depictions of impeccable writing.
Elwood D Pennypacker
Mar 16, 2013 Elwood D Pennypacker rated it really liked it
I just read this under it's alternate name Six Against Scotland Yard in a 1937 edition by the Sun Dial Press which I picked up for two sawbucks at the Mystery Bookshop in Gotham City. The hook with this book is that six hams each try to cook up a perfect murder only to be assessed by one Ex-Superintendent Cornish of the Yard's CID. They all have their charms but there is one pearl in this oyster - Anthony Berkeley's rap about an American grifter in the Jolly Old puttin' one over on a dame of sim ...more
Iona Brooke
Mar 22, 2016 Iona Brooke rated it did not like it
While the concept (that each author's "perfect murder" was evaluated by a member of Scotland Yard) was intriguing, all of the stories were mediocre and the characters irritating. Despite this, I did enjoy Agatha Christie's essay at the end, almost making it worth finishing.
Kevinjwoods
Oct 07, 2014 Kevinjwoods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
An interesting idea hampered by the solutions proposed and by the fact that the perfect crimes are more psychological in nature than they should be, still the stories are good in themselves and it is interesting to see how police work was actually done.
WR
Mar 22, 2014 WR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lil antiquated by now, but it was still lovely to read these short stories by masterful authors. The commentaries by Scotland Yard provided a useful perspective! but I didn't think they added much to my enjoyment of these short mysteries.
Sue
whilst the short stories themselves are fine the way the Detective proves them not a perfect crime often extends beyond creditable argument.
Tom Pickles
Sorely disappointed. Other than the Dorothy L. Sayers piece each story was a serious struggle to get through, and the conclusions unrewarding as well. Boo.
Steven Heywood
This book disappointed me immensely. The short stories by themselves are fine, though not spectacularly so. The "solutions" offered by the Scotland Yard expert are ineffably complacent and profoundly irritating.
Heidi
review to come
Nikolay
Nikolay rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Rose Aini
Rose Aini marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Cecilia Roberts
Cecilia Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Jennifer Gordon
Jennifer Gordon marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Rebecca Hobbs
Rebecca Hobbs marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Atlas
Atlas marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Akash
Akash rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Hog's Back Mystery: A British Library Crime Classic
  • The Plague Court Murders (Sir Henry Merrivale, #1)
  • It Walks by Night (Henri Bencolin, #1)
  • A Terribly Strange Bed
  • Going Under
  • The Thinking Machine
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • Westwood
  • The Old Nurse's Story (Little Black Classics, #39)
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • Petite Mort
  • The False Inspector Dew
The 1931 newly formed Detection Club members wrote one chapter each, one the prologue, and another a close for The Floating Admiral, and all devised solutions included in final publication. Authors then: Anthony Berkeley, G.K. Chesterton, Agatha Christie, G.D.H. Cole, Margaret Cole, Freeman Wills Croft, Clemence Dane , Edgar Jepson, Milward Kennedy, Ronald Knox, John Rhode, Dorothy L. Sayers, Henr ...more
More about The Detection Club...