Start by marking “The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A brand's meaning--how it resonates in the public heart and mind--is a company's most valuable competitive advantage. Yet, few companies really know how brand meaning works, how to manage it, and how to use brand meaning strategically. Written by best-selling author Carol S. Pearson (The Hero Within) and branding guru Margaret Mark, this groundbreaking book provides the il ...more
Published February 6th 2001 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 16th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero and the Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero and the Outlaw

Elizabeth
from the library c2001

copy p 18,195 sidebars:p54,72,89,106,124,142,166,179,197,210,228,245

Part l Primal Assets: a system for managing meaning
ch1 the first system ever for the management of meaning
ch2 archtypes: the heartbeat of enduring brands
ch3 post modern thinking

Part ll the yearning for paradise: innocent, explorer, sage
ch4 the innocent
ch5 the explorer
ch6 the sage

part lll leaving a thumbprint on the world: hero, outlaw, magician
ch7 the hero
ch8 the outlaw
ch9 the magician

part lV no man ( or wo
Elizabeth
from the library c2001

(temporarily) from the library computor:
Booklist Reviews
Pearson is the president of the Center for Archetypal Studies and Applications and the author of The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By (1998) and a coauthor of Magic at Work: Camelot, Creative Leadership, and Everyday Miracles (1995). Mark is a consultant specializing in business strategy and brand management. Pearson's work is based on Jungian psychology, which holds that archetypes are forms or images of a coll
Sue Cartwright
An excellent book about branding that brings Carl Yung's concept of archetypes into a business framework. Fascinating that by default or design, the most successful brands such as Levis (the Explorer), Harley Davidson (the Outlaw) and Nike (the Hero) are associated with some of the most powerful archetypes that express values that correlate with the needs and aspirations of their most long-serving and loyal customers.

Virtually all marketers understand that they need to understand human motivatio
Rodrigo
One of those books that really changed your life. I started reading it out of business motivation: archetypes are a wonderfool tool for my job so I wanted to know more about that. Not only I found an amazing system to develop brand and communication strategies (already used it: it does work!!), but as I got deeper into the reading I began applying the archetypes theory to my daily life, first myself then others'. It's really amazing! It can be applied to everything, everywhere. It's like the Zod ...more
Linda Watson
Understanding your brand archetype can be a powerful business tool, helping you understand everything from brand behaviors to how to craft your brand storytelling. A worthy read for creative thinkers.
JC
Highly poignant in the field of marketing and creative design. The authors organize archetypes across legends and contemporary mythos to design a ladder of vital characters that can be operated through different media. This is very useful for all those in the marketing field who want to create pertinent evocative images for their brands. Their methods are a vital tool for any writer as well, wishing to do the same. Absolutely a must read for all book lovers to truly understand how the same stori ...more
Jiří Sedlář
After you read something about Archetypes you will realise that you want more. This book open huge topic for me, I found parts of me inside the book and some questions were answered to me. I found strategy for my new company and I'm glad that is was so simple to understand. I hope it will be easy to follow. This book is not for ignorants. You have to read more if you start think it's stupid. You can find some kind of peace in this book, I'm happy that I read it :)
Amanda
My boss loaned this to me. Even if you're not interested in advertising or marketing, this is actually a pretty good book. It basically talks about archetypes and how they work with examples of various brands and products. Good if you're into how society and advertising "manipulate" people.
Anya Behn
I'm finding this book helpful in understanding the archetypes of our culture--when you fit a strong archetype, or connect to one through your branding and placement, people can relate better because you are connecting to the mythic.
Jim Aitkins
An indespensible book, the indespensible book on branding. I am so happy that so many among my competition have never heard of this book. Wow. It's an awesome branding textbook and as thick as one, too.
Thomas Riccio
A good introductory insight to the link between archetype and it consumer applications and manifestations.
Mackenzie
if you are in advertising or anything really that has to do with media, this is a must read.
Ghennipher
Awesome read about branding. A study on meaning and brand differentiation. Excellent book!
Jessica
hard to read cover-to-cover, but very interesting philosophy on positioning a brand.
Pretty good, if you like to think in terms of archetypes.
lia
a brilliant book and I've used this for my thesis
Dara
Dara marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
L
L marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Baked In: Creating Products and Businesses That Market Themselves
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
  • Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself
  • The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business
  • Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell (and Live) the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
  • Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Grammar of Ornament
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
The Hero and the Outlaw : Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes