Start by marking “The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A brand's meaning--how it resonates in the public heart and mind--is a company's most valuable competitive advantage. Yet, few companies really know how brand meaning works, how to manage it, and how to use brand meaning strategically. Written by best-selling author Carol S. Pearson (The Hero Within) and branding guru Margaret Mark, this groundbreaking book provides the il ...more
Published February 6th 2001 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero and the Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero and the Outlaw

Sheila Chang
O livro trata dos tipos de arquétipos que estão presentes no inconsciente coletivo, suas características, como as marcas os utilizam, como são as organizações e anseios que cada um dos 12 arquétipos abordados incorporam.
Durante a leitura fui identificando que em alguns momentos da vida estamos no X, outros no Y e que carregamos muito dos arquétipo em nossa personalidade, escolhas e atitudes.
Para quem é curioso, é um livro incrível, mas para quem trabalha com criação é leitura obrigatória. Lingua
Fernanda Kraemer
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". This proverb is the best description about this shallow and, many times, boring book.
Elizabeth
from the library c2001

copy p 18,195 sidebars:p54,72,89,106,124,142,166,179,197,210,228,245

Part l Primal Assets: a system for managing meaning
ch1 the first system ever for the management of meaning
ch2 archtypes: the heartbeat of enduring brands
ch3 post modern thinking

Part ll the yearning for paradise: innocent, explorer, sage
ch4 the innocent
ch5 the explorer
ch6 the sage

part lll leaving a thumbprint on the world: hero, outlaw, magician
ch7 the hero
ch8 the outlaw
ch9 the magician

part lV no man ( or wo
Elizabeth
from the library c2001

(temporarily) from the library computor:
Booklist Reviews
Pearson is the president of the Center for Archetypal Studies and Applications and the author of The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By (1998) and a coauthor of Magic at Work: Camelot, Creative Leadership, and Everyday Miracles (1995). Mark is a consultant specializing in business strategy and brand management. Pearson's work is based on Jungian psychology, which holds that archetypes are forms or images of a coll
Sue Cartwright
An excellent book about branding that brings Carl Yung's concept of archetypes into a business framework. Fascinating that by default or design, the most successful brands such as Levis (the Explorer), Harley Davidson (the Outlaw) and Nike (the Hero) are associated with some of the most powerful archetypes that express values that correlate with the needs and aspirations of their most long-serving and loyal customers.

Virtually all marketers understand that they need to understand human motivatio
Rodrigo
One of those books that really changed your life. I started reading it out of business motivation: archetypes are a wonderfool tool for my job so I wanted to know more about that. Not only I found an amazing system to develop brand and communication strategies (already used it: it does work!!), but as I got deeper into the reading I began applying the archetypes theory to my daily life, first myself then others'. It's really amazing! It can be applied to everything, everywhere. It's like the Zod ...more
Linda Watson
Understanding your brand archetype can be a powerful business tool, helping you understand everything from brand behaviors to how to craft your brand storytelling. A worthy read for creative thinkers.
JC
Highly poignant in the field of marketing and creative design. The authors organize archetypes across legends and contemporary mythos to design a ladder of vital characters that can be operated through different media. This is very useful for all those in the marketing field who want to create pertinent evocative images for their brands. Their methods are a vital tool for any writer as well, wishing to do the same. Absolutely a must read for all book lovers to truly understand how the same stori ...more
Jiří Sedlář
After you read something about Archetypes you will realise that you want more. This book open huge topic for me, I found parts of me inside the book and some questions were answered to me. I found strategy for my new company and I'm glad that is was so simple to understand. I hope it will be easy to follow. This book is not for ignorants. You have to read more if you start think it's stupid. You can find some kind of peace in this book, I'm happy that I read it :)
Amanda
My boss loaned this to me. Even if you're not interested in advertising or marketing, this is actually a pretty good book. It basically talks about archetypes and how they work with examples of various brands and products. Good if you're into how society and advertising "manipulate" people.
Anya Behn
I'm finding this book helpful in understanding the archetypes of our culture--when you fit a strong archetype, or connect to one through your branding and placement, people can relate better because you are connecting to the mythic.
Jim Aitkins
An indespensible book, the indespensible book on branding. I am so happy that so many among my competition have never heard of this book. Wow. It's an awesome branding textbook and as thick as one, too.
Thomas Riccio
A good introductory insight to the link between archetype and it consumer applications and manifestations.
Mackenzie
if you are in advertising or anything really that has to do with media, this is a must read.
Ghennipher
Awesome read about branding. A study on meaning and brand differentiation. Excellent book!
Jessica
hard to read cover-to-cover, but very interesting philosophy on positioning a brand.
Pretty good, if you like to think in terms of archetypes.
lia
a brilliant book and I've used this for my thesis
Ben Murphy
Ben Murphy is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Habsgirl84
Habsgirl84 marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Ashley Wright
Ashley Wright is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015
Katarina Kasalova
Katarina Kasalova marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Judith Coley
Judith Coley marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Arielle White
Arielle White marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Máté Kovács
Máté Kovács marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • The Brand Gap
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • StoryBranding: Creating Stand-Out Brands Through The Power of Story
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Bill Bernbach's Book: A History of Advertising That Changed the History of Advertising
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Eating in the Raw: A Beginner's Guide to Getting Slimmer, Feeling Healthier, and Looking Younger the Raw-Food Way
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Personality Type
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • You Are a Brand!: How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success

“The new breed of consumer is not as trusting, as loyal, or as malleable as those of the past.” 0 likes
“The Young & Rubicam analysis explored changes in EVA and MVA from 1993 to 1999 for a set of 50 well-known and highly regarded brands, such as American Express, American Greetings, Fruit of the Loom, Disney, Kodak, Sears, Heinz, Harley-Davidson, and The Gap. The relationship of changes in these fundamental financial indicators was profiled among two sets of brands: those with “tightly defined” archetypal identities, whose closest secondary relationship was 10% or more below the first, and a “confused” set of brands, whose secondary archetype was within this 10% boundary. Each set consisted of an equal number of brands. The analysis showed that the MVA of those brands strongly aligned with a single archetype rose by 97% more than the MVA of confused brands. Also, over the six-year period under study, the EVA of strongly aligned brands grew at a rate 66% greater than that of the EVA of weakly aligned brands.” 0 likes