Start by marking “The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A brand s meaning how it resonates in the public heart and mind is a company s most valuable competitive advantage. Yet, few companies really know how brand meaning works, how to manage it, and how to use brand meaning strategically. Written by best-selling author Carol S. Pearson (The Hero Within) and branding guru Margaret Mark, this groundbreaking book provides the illu ...more
Published February 6th 2001 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero and the Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero and the Outlaw

Sheila Chang
O livro trata dos tipos de arquétipos que estão presentes no inconsciente coletivo, suas características, como as marcas os utilizam, como são as organizações e anseios que cada um dos 12 arquétipos abordados incorporam.
Durante a leitura fui identificando que em alguns momentos da vida estamos no X, outros no Y e que carregamos muito dos arquétipo em nossa personalidade, escolhas e atitudes.
Para quem é curioso, é um livro incrível, mas para quem trabalha com criação é leitura obrigatória. Lingua
Liz
May 13, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Just such a damn good book. It says more than anything that I can write that I've read this "business" book twice-over cover to cover, and I still keep it on my shelf at home for reference in my marketing jobs time and again.

If you like The Main Man, JC (otherwise known as Joseph Campbell), then this is a must-read. An insightful and incredibly thorough take on age-old character archetypes and how they can be applied to brands, people, and organizations in today's world. Once you dive deeper int
Fernanda Kraemer
Feb 27, 2015 Fernanda Kraemer rated it did not like it
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". This proverb is the best description about this shallow and, many times, boring book.
Taco Ekkel
Aug 15, 2015 Taco Ekkel rated it really liked it
Not particularly profound, though it deftly brings together a sizable body of psychology and storytelling. Nor is it well written—it falls on its face after a good start by going through all archetypes simply by stacking example upon example. You're probably better off finding a summary somewhere. Still, the central premise was an eye opener, helping me understanding successful brands much better—notably, the necessity of choosing a single archetype and sticking to it in every single thing you d ...more
Elizabeth

Part l Primal Assets: a system for managing meaning
ch1 the first system ever for the management of meaning
ch2 archtypes: the heartbeat of enduring brands
ch3 post modern thinking

Part ll the yearning for paradise: innocent, explorer, sage
ch4 the innocent
ch5 the explorer
ch6 the sage

part lll leaving a thumbprint on the world: hero, outlaw, magician
ch7 the hero
ch8 the outlaw
ch9 the magician

part lV no man ( or wo
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
from the library c2001

(temporarily) from the library computor:
Booklist Reviews
Pearson is the president of the Center for Archetypal Studies and Applications and the author of The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By (1998) and a coauthor of Magic at Work: Camelot, Creative Leadership, and Everyday Miracles (1995). Mark is a consultant specializing in business strategy and brand management. Pearson's work is based on Jungian psychology, which holds that archetypes are forms or images of a coll
Sue Cartwright
Mar 30, 2013 Sue Cartwright rated it really liked it
An excellent book about branding that brings Carl Yung's concept of archetypes into a business framework. Fascinating that by default or design, the most successful brands such as Levis (the Explorer), Harley Davidson (the Outlaw) and Nike (the Hero) are associated with some of the most powerful archetypes that express values that correlate with the needs and aspirations of their most long-serving and loyal customers.

Virtually all marketers understand that they need to understand human motivatio
Rodrigo
Aug 08, 2011 Rodrigo rated it really liked it
One of those books that really changed your life. I started reading it out of business motivation: archetypes are a wonderfool tool for my job so I wanted to know more about that. Not only I found an amazing system to develop brand and communication strategies (already used it: it does work!!), but as I got deeper into the reading I began applying the archetypes theory to my daily life, first myself then others'. It's really amazing! It can be applied to everything, everywhere. It's like the Zod ...more
Eric Levy
Jul 16, 2016 Eric Levy rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Delivered what it promises- an archtypical framework for examining brands, with many examples. Honestly I enjoyed the first part of the book (first 160 pages) better than the rest, but still some good stuff in the remainder of the book, and the first part makes it more than worthwhile to buy/read.
Lukas Dusek
Jan 08, 2016 Lukas Dusek rated it liked it
Quite interresting principle of archetypes, but I was not so interrested about all of the examples (too extensive case studies of to me unknown companies - problem of localization?). However, there are still some valuable ideas even if you are a marketer or enterpreneur.
Linda Watson
May 13, 2014 Linda Watson rated it it was amazing
Understanding your brand archetype can be a powerful business tool, helping you understand everything from brand behaviors to how to craft your brand storytelling. A worthy read for creative thinkers.
Beckimoody Moody
Jun 07, 2016 Beckimoody Moody rated it really liked it
I read this for work but found it to be easy to read and interesting with lots of examples of brand archetypes scattered throughout the book.
JC
Jan 25, 2012 JC rated it it was amazing
Highly poignant in the field of marketing and creative design. The authors organize archetypes across legends and contemporary mythos to design a ladder of vital characters that can be operated through different media. This is very useful for all those in the marketing field who want to create pertinent evocative images for their brands. Their methods are a vital tool for any writer as well, wishing to do the same. Absolutely a must read for all book lovers to truly understand how the same stori ...more
Jiří Sedlář
Feb 03, 2014 Jiří Sedlář rated it really liked it
After you read something about Archetypes you will realise that you want more. This book open huge topic for me, I found parts of me inside the book and some questions were answered to me. I found strategy for my new company and I'm glad that is was so simple to understand. I hope it will be easy to follow. This book is not for ignorants. You have to read more if you start think it's stupid. You can find some kind of peace in this book, I'm happy that I read it :)
Amanda
May 16, 2007 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My boss loaned this to me. Even if you're not interested in advertising or marketing, this is actually a pretty good book. It basically talks about archetypes and how they work with examples of various brands and products. Good if you're into how society and advertising "manipulate" people.
Anya Behn
May 21, 2012 Anya Behn rated it liked it
I'm finding this book helpful in understanding the archetypes of our culture--when you fit a strong archetype, or connect to one through your branding and placement, people can relate better because you are connecting to the mythic.
Jim Aitkins
Jan 27, 2009 Jim Aitkins rated it it was amazing
An indespensible book, the indespensible book on branding. I am so happy that so many among my competition have never heard of this book. Wow. It's an awesome branding textbook and as thick as one, too.
Kerry O'Reilly
Aug 29, 2015 Kerry O'Reilly rated it it was amazing
Outstanding insights into the mind of the consumer. Still very applicable 14 years after originally published. @kdoreilly
Thomas Riccio
Jan 09, 2009 Thomas Riccio rated it really liked it
A good introductory insight to the link between archetype and it consumer applications and manifestations.
Mackenzie
May 02, 2011 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
if you are in advertising or anything really that has to do with media, this is a must read.
Ghennipher
Feb 14, 2010 Ghennipher rated it really liked it
Awesome read about branding. A study on meaning and brand differentiation. Excellent book!
Jon
Jul 27, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
Could have easily been a hundred pages shorter, but what marketing book couldn't be?
Jessica
Jul 26, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-books
hard to read cover-to-cover, but very interesting philosophy on positioning a brand.
Jan 19, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Pretty good, if you like to think in terms of archetypes.
lia
Oct 10, 2011 lia rated it it was amazing
a brilliant book and I've used this for my thesis
Anastasia Clarkson
May 01, 2012 Anastasia Clarkson rated it really liked it
great reference
Ruchira
Ruchira marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Jamie Black
Jamie Black marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Ian Grossman
Ian Grossman marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • The Book Of Gossage
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • The Brand Gap
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Elements of Persuasion: Use Storytelling to Pitch Better, Sell Faster & Win More Business
  • Write To Sell
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Brand Media Strategy: Integrated Communications Planning in the Digital Era
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Bill Bernbach's Book: A History of Advertising That Changed the History of Advertising
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • The Media Equation: How People Treat Computers, Television, and New Media Like Real People and Places
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Hoopla
  • Tiikerin lapsi

“The new breed of consumer is not as trusting, as loyal, or as malleable as those of the past.” 0 likes
“The Young & Rubicam analysis explored changes in EVA and MVA from 1993 to 1999 for a set of 50 well-known and highly regarded brands, such as American Express, American Greetings, Fruit of the Loom, Disney, Kodak, Sears, Heinz, Harley-Davidson, and The Gap. The relationship of changes in these fundamental financial indicators was profiled among two sets of brands: those with “tightly defined” archetypal identities, whose closest secondary relationship was 10% or more below the first, and a “confused” set of brands, whose secondary archetype was within this 10% boundary. Each set consisted of an equal number of brands. The analysis showed that the MVA of those brands strongly aligned with a single archetype rose by 97% more than the MVA of confused brands. Also, over the six-year period under study, the EVA of strongly aligned brands grew at a rate 66% greater than that of the EVA of weakly aligned brands.” 0 likes