Changes, Changes

Changes, Changes

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  30 reviews

A Simon & Schuster eBook
Published April 30th 1987 by Aladdin (first published March 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Changes, Changes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changes, Changes

Rosie's Walk by Pat HutchinsWe're Going On A Picnic by Pat HutchinsDon't Get Lost! by Pat HutchinsBarn Dance! by Pat HutchinsTom and Sam by Pat Hutchins
Best of Pat Hutchins
6th out of 48 books — 2 voters
The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
119th out of 126 books — 208 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Changes

This is the second book that I have read from Pat Hutchins, the first book being Rosie's Walk and this book is called “Changes, Changes.” “Changes, Changes” is a wordless picture book that details the adventures of two toy figurines as they build their way into crazy situations. “Changes, Changes” is an extremely creative book for children who love reading books about toys.

This is the first wordless picture book that I have read from Pat Hutchins and I have to tell you that the illustrations the...more
Dolly
Mar 24, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and creative wordless picture book about wooden dolls who shift and move different shapes of blocks to create different items, like a house, a boat, a truck and a train.

We enjoyed watching the pages animated as the wordless story is accompanied by music by Frantisek Belfin on a Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVD. It included seven other sing-along songs with animations of the illustrated books. It was a great way to see the book in a new way.
Michael
A wordless book with two wooden characters and a set of blocks. This was an interesting "read" with Aryana and Aleyda as they "controlled" the story as they interpreted it, and the story changed each time they "read" it. Good book to bring out the imagination of a child (and adult) every time you pick it up to "read".
Cheryl in CC NV
Cute, and inspiring. I wish I had the imagination to play with blocks like this. Also it would be awesome if we could just build and rebuild in real life!
Jordan Brovelli
I chose Changes, Changes by Pat Hutchins for my "wordless" book. Wordless books can be interpreted in many different ways, I think. I enjoyed the details in the pictures and the colors that were used. The blocks and the water were very detailed but the people were not as detailed so they stood out in each picture. I thought Hutchins did a good job in choosing to use the color blue only on the two people in the first couple pages so that they stood out more and my eyes were drawn to them. However...more
Daniel Franklin
This book is the story of two dolls that have a set of blocks which they use for many different purposes. In the beginning, the blocks almost function as a stage, setting the story for the audience which they have. The stage then sets on fire, and the dolls use different blocks to “build” a hose. The water becomes so much that they are eventually on a lake, and use the blocks to “build” a boat. They then get on land again and “build” a truck.
I think this would be a good story for, again, havin...more
Janelle
I read this book as part of my non-word picture book selections. It was an interesting picture book. I personally found myself somewhat confused by the message it was trying to convey, thus I am curious what children who take from it. It was about a couple of block people who are constantly having to rebuild their blocks into something else when finally in the end, each thing they built led them to their new block home. I'm not entirely sure how this book could be used in the classroom other the...more
Jiali Yu
this picture book has no words, cute illustrations.
Ashley Campbell
Detail!
This book by Pat Hutchins is amazing in illustration! Because it is wordless, it is key to have illustrations that have a positive effect on the book and she has done it:).
Hutchins' book is a story about toys that build different structures to overcome obstacles. The detail is simplistic yet awesome! It seems that Hutchins made a decision to only use primary colors, which works with younger children.
I would give this book 5 stars because it is completely original and the best wordless s...more
Sarah Pfingston
This book I found a bit weird. As I was reading i got confused. I did not know what some of the picture were suppose to be. What i did get from the book was that there were two people and they were constantly changing their building blocks into objects they needed. I would not recommend this book. I think it could become confusing for young children. Also, I found the illustrations to be boring and not enough color. Overall, I did not like this book.
Ashley Clark
Wordless book -

This wordless book is a great opportunity for children to use their imagination. The book has vibrant illustrations and will be appealing to younger children; the use of building blocks throughout the book makes it relevant to their lives.
This book can be used when practicing using illustrations to understand a story - students will need to tell the story based on the pictures.
Abbey Pace
Despite the bright colors and changing illustrations, I found this book very boring. In my opinion, it needed words in order for it to capture my full attention. As for a 3, 4, or 5 year old, I think they would enjoy making up stories that go along with the pictures, while also learning a valuable lesson that life is full of adversity, and also overcoming the challenges that will come.
Randie
A wooden couple comes to life and must make changes after their house catches on fire. What creations will they make?

I enjoy stories in which toys come to life and this wordless tale is no different. Younger children will certainly love this story. I would follow-up by having them recreate the scenes with building blocks.
Ashley
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Genre: Fiction
Themes: Cleverness, Creativity and Imagination, Early Learning
Uses: 1)Have students make up stories for the pictures
2)Have students identify what they see in the pictures (colors, shapes, etc.)
Dec 11, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: wordless
This story shows what one's imagination can create! This is a wordless book that shows the power of imagination in consideration to toys. It can be used within the classroom as an activity springboard for students to create their own story like it.
Michael D.
I like this simple wordless picture book which uses two characters to arrange and rearrange the same set of colored blocks to create different shapes and objects. Teachers can model the examples using blocks and then have the children participate.
Robert
I remember this book vividly from my childhood, mainly from the bright and colorful images, much like Drummer Hoff.
Kelsi Bowman
Changes, Changes is a book for young children that does not have any words. This is a good book for children to use their imagination to tell their own story.
Courtney Esse
This would be good to use with students to have them depict the illustrations or use their imagination. Students could write their own version of the story.
RaeLene
Wordless: A great story about 2 dolls/block figures and how they react to the changes in their life by building new things with their blocks.
Samantha Peterson
This is a fun wordless book which challenges students to use their imaginations and creativity to follow a story line only through images.
Allison
The industrial revolution through the eyes of Pat Hutchins?

Good for Narrative Skills, since this book has no words.
Brenda
Sep 24, 2012 Brenda added it
Shelves: wordless-book
This is a wordless book. This would be good to use if I wanted students to use their imagination. Available in CSS library.
Carmen2016
wordless one gives lots of variety and allows imagination reading it. better for preschool kids but not earlier
Jessie Horcher
This is a wordless book. The story is told all through pictures and talks all about changes.
Kirei
Blocks are built and rebuilt into various shapes in this wordless picture book.
Steph Strapple
No words, all pictures. Great book to see how children interpret it.
Ali Werner
No words in the this book but the pictures can tell the story.
Theresa