Start by marking “Changes, Changes” as Want to Read:
Changes, Changes

Changes, Changes

Two wooden dolls rearrange wooden building blocks to form various objects.
Published April 30th 1987 by Aladdin (first published March 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Changes, Changes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changes, Changes

Ronyell
Changes

This is the second book that I have read from Pat Hutchins, the first book being Rosie's Walk and this book is called “Changes, Changes.” “Changes, Changes” is a wordless picture book that details the adventures of two toy figurines as they build their way into crazy situations. “Changes, Changes” is an extremely creative book for children who love reading books about toys.

This is the first wordless picture book that I have read from Pat Hutchins and I have to tell you that the illustrations the
Dolly
Mar 24, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and creative wordless picture book about wooden dolls who shift and move different shapes of blocks to create different items, like a house, a boat, a truck and a train.

We enjoyed watching the pages animated as the wordless story is accompanied by music by Frantisek Belfin on a Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVD. It included seven other sing-along songs with animations of the illustrated books. It was a great way to see the book in a new way.
Michael
Oct 25, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
A wordless book with two wooden characters and a set of blocks. This was an interesting "read" with Aryana and Aleyda as they "controlled" the story as they interpreted it, and the story changed each time they "read" it. Good book to bring out the imagination of a child (and adult) every time you pick it up to "read".
Nathan
Jun 07, 2017 Nathan rated it really liked it
Promotes using your imagination.
Marissa
This book would be appropriate for the preschool/pre-k age group (ages 3-5).

This book "Changes, Changes" is about two 'people blocks' who get out of their box. They begin to build a structure. It becomes visible that their structure catches fire and things need to change. Suddenly the two decide to change pieces of the structure in order to create something that will help! Read it yourself to find out what they build in order to adapt to the changes around them and what happens next!

This book is
Jordan Brovelli
I chose Changes, Changes by Pat Hutchins for my "wordless" book. Wordless books can be interpreted in many different ways, I think. I enjoyed the details in the pictures and the colors that were used. The blocks and the water were very detailed but the people were not as detailed so they stood out in each picture. I thought Hutchins did a good job in choosing to use the color blue only on the two people in the first couple pages so that they stood out more and my eyes were drawn to them. However ...more
Daniel Franklin
Nov 07, 2013 Daniel Franklin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is the story of two dolls that have a set of blocks which they use for many different purposes. In the beginning, the blocks almost function as a stage, setting the story for the audience which they have. The stage then sets on fire, and the dolls use different blocks to “build” a hose. The water becomes so much that they are eventually on a lake, and use the blocks to “build” a boat. They then get on land again and “build” a truck.
I think this would be a good story for, again, havin
Emma
I have really mixed feelings about this because the first couple of times my 25 month old read it he got extremely upset about the house being on fire. After a few readings he relaxed into it and we verbally anticipated that they would put the fire out, but I think it stressed him out too much - most unusual at our house! Then he kept wanting to go back and read it, but I think he didn't really enjoy it - more to reassure himself maybe? I like that it shows the characters being resourceful and i ...more
Janelle
Apr 25, 2013 Janelle rated it it was ok
I read this book as part of my non-word picture book selections. It was an interesting picture book. I personally found myself somewhat confused by the message it was trying to convey, thus I am curious what children who take from it. It was about a couple of block people who are constantly having to rebuild their blocks into something else when finally in the end, each thing they built led them to their new block home. I'm not entirely sure how this book could be used in the classroom other the ...more
Ashley Campbell
Sep 12, 2012 Ashley Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
Detail!
This book by Pat Hutchins is amazing in illustration! Because it is wordless, it is key to have illustrations that have a positive effect on the book and she has done it:).
Hutchins' book is a story about toys that build different structures to overcome obstacles. The detail is simplistic yet awesome! It seems that Hutchins made a decision to only use primary colors, which works with younger children.
I would give this book 5 stars because it is completely original and the best wordless s
Sarah Pfingston
Sep 12, 2012 Sarah Pfingston rated it it was ok
This book I found a bit weird. As I was reading i got confused. I did not know what some of the picture were suppose to be. What i did get from the book was that there were two people and they were constantly changing their building blocks into objects they needed. I would not recommend this book. I think it could become confusing for young children. Also, I found the illustrations to be boring and not enough color. Overall, I did not like this book.
Ashley
Sep 18, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Wordless book -

This wordless book is a great opportunity for children to use their imagination. The book has vibrant illustrations and will be appealing to younger children; the use of building blocks throughout the book makes it relevant to their lives.
This book can be used when practicing using illustrations to understand a story - students will need to tell the story based on the pictures.
Abbey Pace
Sep 12, 2012 Abbey Pace rated it it was ok
Despite the bright colors and changing illustrations, I found this book very boring. In my opinion, it needed words in order for it to capture my full attention. As for a 3, 4, or 5 year old, I think they would enjoy making up stories that go along with the pictures, while also learning a valuable lesson that life is full of adversity, and also overcoming the challenges that will come.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A wooden couple comes to life and must make changes after their house catches on fire. What creations will they make?

I enjoy stories in which toys come to life and this wordless tale is no different. Younger children will certainly love this story. I would follow-up by having them recreate the scenes with building blocks.
Kristen
May 20, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Preschool +.

The picture story of two block people and the life they live, rebuilding houses, cars, etc. out of their blocks.

A great book for very young children. No text. Pictures portray imaginative constructions out of blocks. Block people work together to help each other.
Robert
Jul 30, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book vividly from my childhood, mainly from the bright and colorful images, much like Drummer Hoff.
Michael D.
Aug 11, 2012 Michael D. rated it really liked it
I like this simple wordless picture book which uses two characters to arrange and rearrange the same set of colored blocks to create different shapes and objects. Teachers can model the examples using blocks and then have the children participate.
Sep 25, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: wordless
This story shows what one's imagination can create! This is a wordless book that shows the power of imagination in consideration to toys. It can be used within the classroom as an activity springboard for students to create their own story like it.
Ashley
Jul 11, 2010 Ashley rated it liked it
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Genre: Fiction
Themes: Cleverness, Creativity and Imagination, Early Learning
Uses: 1)Have students make up stories for the pictures
2)Have students identify what they see in the pictures (colors, shapes, etc.)
RaeLene
Apr 24, 2009 RaeLene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 26-picture-books
Wordless: A great story about 2 dolls/block figures and how they react to the changes in their life by building new things with their blocks.
Leyla
good book
Samantha Peterson
Sep 18, 2012 Samantha Peterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun wordless book which challenges students to use their imaginations and creativity to follow a story line only through images.
Courtney Esse
Sep 19, 2012 Courtney Esse rated it liked it
Shelves: wordless-picture
This would be good to use with students to have them depict the illustrations or use their imagination. Students could write their own version of the story.
Steph Strapple
No words, all pictures. Great book to see how children interpret it.
Brenda
Sep 18, 2012 Brenda added it
Shelves: wordless-book
This is a wordless book. This would be good to use if I wanted students to use their imagination. Available in CSS library.
Jessie Horcher
This is a wordless book. The story is told all through pictures and talks all about changes.
ABC
Mar 21, 2010 ABC rated it really liked it
Blocks are built and rebuilt into various shapes in this wordless picture book.
Liz Todd
Such a cool book. Wordless with a really cool story that draws kids in. Great picture of collaboration, which makes a great August read aloud.
Michelle
May 02, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Totally stood the test of time (as most wordless picture books do).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Morris's Disappearing Bag
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • One Was Johnny: A Counting Book
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.
More about Pat Hutchins...