Start by marking “Introducing Kierkegaard” as Want to Read:
Introducing Kierkegaard

Introducing Kierkegaard

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Soren Kierkegaard is regarded as the founder of Existentialism and the first modern theologian.

Philosophy, in Kierkegaard's radical view, was of no use unless it permanently changed people's lives. His distrust of grand abstract schemes, particularly Hegel's, and his insistence that philosophy is essentially writing also identify him as a forerunner of postmodernism.
Published January 14th 1999 by Totem Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Kierkegaard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Kierkegaard

Dergrossest
While some might argue that this pictorial-tutorial on the philosophy of Soren Kierkegaard is a form of “Philosophy for Dummies Lite,” I must confess that I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The “father of existentialism” is a fascinating figure and the clever artwork, telling quotes, insightful text and cameo appearances of other philosophers in this little tome kept me interested and whetted my appetite for reading the subject’s actual work. I recommend that you take a “leap of faith” and try thi ...more
Mark
When your high school son takes an exceptional interest in existential philosophy--to the point of asking for Kierkegaard and Nietzchse as Christmas presents, and picking it as his college major--you'd better not get left in the metaphysical dust! I'm a big fan of Wikipedia entries for quickly gaining an overall introduction to a topic, but this helped me get to a next level. Sam bought this book at the UC Davis bookstore when he made his decision to go there, and suggested I read it, too.

Whew!
Tam Nguyen
Perhaps this is my most favorite book in the whole "Introducing series." It discusses most of Kierkegaard's basic ideas and explains it well. For example, it presents Kierkegaard's life, his obsession with writings, his leap of faith, and his thoughts about life.
Rebecca Schweitzer
I grabbed this off the library shelf before really looking it over because I'd been wanting to learn more about Kierkegaard. I didn't expect it to be a sort of comic book where each page featured a tidbit of information and a single frame illustration usually featuring Kierkegaard himself.

As promised, the book did a good job of introducing Kierkegaard. However, it did a horrible job introducing itself. I was convinced pages were missing at the beginning because there was no forward explaining th
Nathan Glenn
Lots of food for thought in here. Introducing books don't do the best job of explaining some difficult concepts, but there's still plenty of good material, and honestly who else is going to put Kierkegaard's entire life and philosophy into comic book form for me?

It was interesting introduction to philosophy in general. It should have been a refresher, but I didn't like the class I took that covered it :(. Kierkegaard believed that philosophy should tell ordinary people how they should choose and
Lauren
This so far is the best graphic guide I've read, because I love Kierkegaard and the author did a fantastic job organizing the information and presenting it graciously and accessibly. Can't wait to read Either/Or. Minus one star for the insinuation that deeply felt or complex spirituality is a mental disorder.
Chiron
I've been fascinated by the little I've known about Kierkegaard for a while, but found his works too difficult to get into! This was a nice primer to his life and ideas and I feel more confident that I can give Either/Or a chance now...
Daniel Wright
Philosophy seems to lend itself to being presented in cartoon form more than any other discipline. One of my favourite blogs is cartoon philosophy. This is the only such full-length book I've read though. It was informative and clear, at times entertaining, quite often a little intense - the medium of comic strip ought to dissipate the intensity of the subject, but the way these are drawn seems to make them leap out of the page and attack you somewhat. This is not all there is to know about Kier ...more
Fernando Navarro
I found this book very helpful to understand Kierkegaard. I'm not an educated in the realm of philosophy, but for different circumstances I ended up reading this book, and I found my self enjoying learning about Kierkegaard.
Mario
special thanx must go to Oscar Zarate's illustrations as he describes as much terror/angst/guilt as Dave Robinson's text. srsly, some of the pages r terrifying, akin to the illustrations of Stephen Gammell. it delivers on its promise as an introduction, giving as much detail as needed with keen insight into the historical context of Kierkegaard's thoughts.
Nandini Pradeep J
Witty, brief account of Kierkegaard's life and works.
But beware, don't expect a doctoral thesis when it clearly says it's a graphic guide. This is highly readable, especially to beginners of philosophy or theory who might be struggling with the basic concepts. Also, it would help prepare them to understand more recent works and if you're somebody with some knowledge of theory, then it'd help you to connect various crucial concepts.
All in all, it's "cute".
klaudia
He makes me feel normal. :)
Mamdouh Abdullah
بعض أجزاء هذه السلسلة تم ترجمتها من قبل د.إمام عبدالفتاح إمام. وإن لم يترجم الجزء الخاص بكيركيجارد. قيمتها ببساطتها والصور التي تقرب لك سورين عن قرب والحوارات الخاصة المذكورة بالفعل على لسانه في بعض كتب السير. مثل هذه النوعية من الكتب تصلح لترتيب الأفكار المتبعثرة وترتيبها زمنياً وحسب مسار الفكر.
Andre
A good introduction to what the man himself stood for. While this series of books doesn't give a table of contents (and hence you can't find specific sections you're looking for), it's quite readable; and in this field (philosophy), that trait is a rare one indeed.
Jack Stephens
A great little overview of Soren Kierkegaard's thought on philosophy (especially his views of Hegel) and Christianity. Also puts into context Kierkegaard's contributions to existentialism and post-modern philosophy.
Kristin Traylor
This book made Kierkegaard and his philosophy accessible to me because it was fully illustrated. It's fun to read - each page a couple sentences of text, and all the rest an illustration of concepts. Cool.
Bettie☯

Kierkegaard is important to my current audio book: The Denial of Death so I thought I would give this a flick through. I love this series for quick submersion into a subject.

Opening:

A Radical Change in Philosophy

For over 2,000 years, philosophers had insisted that their primary task was to establish what counted as certain and reliable knowledge. Søren Kierkegaard violently disagreed. The job of philosophy wasn't to tell us what we could know. It had to tell us what to do.

P 16: Kierkegaard undo
Timothy Brown
a great introduction to my favorite philosopher & a personal hero. "the truth shall set you free, but it will make you miserable first"
Thamrong
A good introduction to the existentialism written by a lonely and outcast individual....who introduced 'the leap of faith'...
Zahreen
Aug 25, 2007 Zahreen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: philosophy and religious studies majors
Shelves: academic
Kierkegaard is amazing - that's what I learned from this book - and it made me read his own writing. That's the goal, right?
Ashley Jacobs
One of the books that first sparked my enjoyment of philosophy (as a chance encounter)
April Cardinal
I did a directed study on Kierkegaard in college. This was a good book to read first.
Thieluar
Great summary of thoughts plus biography.
Johannes Bertus
Kierkegaard makes me happy.
Alen
Alen added it
Jul 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Heidegger
  • Marx for Beginners
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Semiotics
More about Dave Robinson...
Introducing Philosophy Introducing Plato Introducing Ethics Introducing Descartes Nietzsche and Postmodernism