Start by marking “Felicity Save the Day- Hc Book” as Want to Read:
Felicity Save the Day- Hc Book

Felicity Save the Day- Hc Book (American Girls: Felicity #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,016 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The books in this collection tell the stories of six American girls who lived long ago:
Published December 3rd 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Felicity Save the Day- Hc Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Felicity Save the Day- Hc Book

Shelli
Summer time holiday has come for the Merriman family, all except for Father who must stay to run the family store with his apprentice Ben. The rest of the family journey to Grandfathers plantation, on the York River. Felicity is reunited with an old friend and enjoys quality time with her Grandfather. During this time they are a bit separated from all the patriot vs. loyalist news that is happening in Williamsburg. That is until a runaway injured Ben surprises Felicity one hot day. Felicity has ...more
Karen
Tell me about Ben:
He runs away and hides in the forest near Felicity's grandfather's house. And leaves a note for Felicity to come help find him. He runs away to fight against the king's soldiers but he can't break Felicity's fathers promise of being an apprentice.

What is an apprentice?
I don't know.

Well, what makes Ben an apprentice?
He works in Felicity's father's store.

What do you think Ben should do- fight against the king or stay at the store?
Stay at the store. But he ran away anyway hiding
Gretchen
In Felicity Saves the Day, Felicity, her mother, and her brother and sister go to Grandfather's plantation to spend the summer. A lot of stuff happens in this book. Felicity's beloved horse, Penny, turns up in a group of horses that a man is trying to sell to her grandfather. Grandfather buys Penny for Felicity with the understanding that Penny will stay at his plantation. Then one day she finds a note from Ben, her father's apprentice, who has run away to join George Washington's army. He has i ...more
Katie
Felicity is a Really Great book. of Course in this Book she finds her lost horse Penny. who lived with a a grumpy old man named Joe-Hander who went to Jail 5 months after she met him.
Emmie
I read this book with Lillian, and it was quite interesting. I appreciated the dilemma that Felicity is in where it was difficult to say what the right thing to do is. It was good to talk through with Lillian what God tells us in His word and how to seek His counsel when situations are not so cut and dry. I do think the title is a little misleading, but for a 10-year-old girl, how she acts could be considered saving the day. Though not my favorite in this series, it was still a good one to think ...more
Marya
This one was tied up at the end with a neat little bow. I'm not complaining; my little one is actually younger than the recommended age range, so I'm always happy for the Disneyfied endings. I'm just noting how it differs from earlier American Girl books that do not shy away from war amputees (Addy series), child labor (Samantha series), child death (Kirsten series), or other gross realities of life in the earlier eras of this country.
Denise
I do appreciate these books for the fact that they are a good introduction to history. I do sometimes take exception to the fact that these books tend to gloss over reality. Would it really be possible for Felicity to have done what she did in this book? Even if she did, would it be accepted and praised by her family? I doubt it. Another issue I had with this book in particular is the disregard of slavery on the grandfathers plantation. We are led to believe that Felicity is an intelligent and f ...more
Miri
Felicity, her mother and siblings are visiting grandfather's plantation and having a grand time, grandfather even surprises Felicity by purchasing her lost horse Penny for her and she couldn't be happier, that is until they hear that their father's apprentice Ben has run away. Felicity is conflicted, Ben kept a secret for her and she feels it would be disloyal to betray him, but if she helps Ben she will be betraying her father, what can Felicity do?
Elizabeth
I love this book! It's my favorite in the series. It's very exciting and mysterious when Ben disappears. The pictures are extremely well detailed (kinda looks a bit real!) and Valarie Tripp does a good job of capturing the intense moment.
Becky Keir Grace
Felicity spends the summer at her grandfather's plantation with her family. He ends up buying her long lost horse, Penny, she helped free in a previous book. Then her father's apprentice, Ben, runs away to join the army to fight the loyalists, but gets hurt in the process. Felicity helps take care of him in hiding.

Good story. I love all the history about the events that lead to the Revolutionary War.

These books are quick reads, but I am finding them to be really enjoyable! Great for young girls
The other John
I was really dreading reading this one. I'm prejudiced against stories in which children "save the day". In my experience, such stories usually feature talented, precocious children and insipid adults. Fortunately, this book didn't fulfill my worst fears. For one thing, there wasn't any great crisis. Most of the book is really just an account on how pleasant it is to visit one's grandfather's plantation in the summertime. A problem does arise and, in another world, the situation could have turne ...more
Marilyn
We're reading this series for a Liberty Girls group. We knew going in that not many groups include Felicity because of the principles the characters live in the story. My initial thought was that it would be too sad to skip the Revolutionary War in a Liberty Girls curriculum. Now that I'm reading how the characters make poor choice after poor choice and explain it to their parents "I had to"--it's not my favorite. If we "have" to make the choices we do, then no one is really accountable for anyt ...more
Brittany Granger
I am going to do a mass review of all the books in the American Girl series, and then copy and paste to each book when I get the chance. Stay Tuned!
Tara
Alisse
I thought that Felicity was another good one. I liked the part when Felicity was riding Penny her horse with her Grandfather. Poor Ben no shelter during the bad rain storm. He ran away from Felicity ;s father, Mr. Merriam. Felicity was stealing food for Ben and he had a bad cut on his knee so Felicity had to pick some medicen from her garden. But in the end Ben swears to stay with the Merriams until he is 18 then he will go away for the war.
Robyn
I know I read this in 4th-6th grade, & may not remember much about this specific book, but I know I liked the Felicity books, including this one.

One interesting element in the Felicity books: this was back in the day when good guys wore long hair in ponytails (sometimes w/ the big white wigs!). Nowadays, parents see guys in ponytails & they lock up their daughters to keep them from dating guys who wear ponytails!
Natasha
I loved this book as a kid. Felicity was my favorite of all the "American Girls". She made me want to have red hair, her and Ariel. Such a cool role model for a girl. She saves the day by riding a horse in the rain to save her friend, a boy she ends up telling off for being a coward (awesome) and building up the country before the Revolutionary War. So cool.
Karen L.
The American Girls Series of books are fabulous! Out of all the stories and characters, Felicity is my favorite. I love the enjoyable way that kids can learn history through these. The stories are well written too. At the back of all the stories are facts and pictures about that time of history. Both my daughters loved these and learned a lot from them...ME TOO!!
Kristine Pratt
Felicity has to make some very difficult decisions the summer she spends at her Grandfather's Plantation.

I like how she handled keeping secrets, for understanding what true courage is - and for handling a difficult situation where there seemed no good decision at all. Very well done!
Lauren Zaglifa
Felicity is very excited to be on her Grandfather's plantation. She gets Penny back and picks fruit for her favorite tarts everyday. But when she finds a note that leads her to an injured Ben she must go against her parents and grandfather's anger to bring him home.
Aubrie
it was a great great great great great great great great great great great great wonderful.................................................................................................book. It was an adventure, and I like adventure books.
Megan
Felicity and her family have gone to their grandfathers plantation while their father and Ben is behind working in the shop, but suddenly Ben breaks his Apprentice promise and Felicity has to use all her bravery to save Ben.
Krissi
All of the American Girl Books are great. They teach girls to be true to themselves, to enjoy being a girl and face up to your challenges. I would recommend these books to all girls and their mothers too.
Anna
Felicity goes to her grandfathers place. Horse sellers come by. Felicity sees penny! Her grandpa buys her. felicity is riding penny and meets Ben in the forest. Uh oh!
Katie
May 08, 2010 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that she saw a horse name Penny she is in troble because Pennys owner said to Felicity if i see her touch it again i will kill her
Barbz
I think this is my favorite book in Felicity's series. She is so daring and spirited and she really shows what a loyal friend she is in this book.
Sahi
THESE BOOKS ARE AMAZING. I LOVE THE WAY EACH ONE OF THE SERIES HAS TO DO WITH A MAJOR EVENT OR A CULTURE. IT MAKES THE BOOK HAVE A MEANING, EH?
Erin
Really good book! Though I finished it in like an hour and a half. So kinda small to the books I'm used to reading.
Kersten
I enjoyed the Felicity stories. She's a red-head, who loves horses, two of my favorite things growing up.
I like how Felicity grows in this book and I like that she convinced Ben to do the honorable thing
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Felicity (6 books)
  • Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)
  • Changes for Felicity: A Winter Story (American Girls: Felicity, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)