Start by marking “The Road Goes Ever on” as Want to Read:
The Road Goes Ever on

The Road Goes Ever on (Middle-Earth Universe)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  247 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Poems & songs of Middle Earth...for the millions who have read and loved The Lord of the Rings. Music by Donald Swann. Poetry by J. R. R. Tolkein. Complete with easy-to-play chords for guitar and piano!
Published September 1st 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Goes Ever on, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Goes Ever on

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardRosemary's Baby by Ira LevinNicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. MassieThe Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Best Books of 1967
92nd out of 99 books — 35 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. TolkienThe Children of Hurin by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fall of Arthur by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best of J.R.R. Tolkien
27th out of 100 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Candy
Nov 08, 2014 Candy rated it it was amazing
The melodies are not amazing, but my copy is a beautiful early edition from England: found in a used book store, it's like an artifact. For this small book, Professor Tolkien wrote new Middle Earth material that expanded on a song Galadrial sang. This expanded material, the composer's conversations with Tolkien in the forward, and Tolkien's visually stylized presentation of Elvish-to-English translations make this one of the most special books I own.
David Jones
Sep 12, 2009 David Jones rated it it was ok
I'm a musician, so I was interested in what some of the many songs Tolkien has in the Trilogy might be like as real songs.

Unfortunately, the composer was one of those modern types who wrote very modern (as in unusual harmonies and intervals, etc) melodies that wouldn't have been sung by anyone in Middle Earth ...
Linda Hoover
Oct 14, 2012 Linda Hoover rated it it was amazing
A collaboration between J.R.R. Tolkien and Donald Swann produced this fascinating book! This is some of Tolkien's poetry and songs set to music!! A must-have for Tolkien fans!
Aaron White
Not being much of a musician, I also listened to a youtube recording of this music. The music didn't feel very middle earth. Most of the songs seemed very hymn like, or modern. I thought it somewhat fit some of the songs, but for the most part, I couldn't picture the elves or hobbits singing in this fashion. The poems were the more interesting part.
Carla Eskelsen
I have the original book, as well as the vinyl record. I must admit, I got 5 stars' worth of enjoyment out of them, mostly because of the collaboration and approval of the author, for whom I have profound respect and admiration.

That said, however, the tunes lacked the kind of authentic "aged and folky" feel that you would expect from the cultures Prof Tolkien created; they have a more formal and 19th century parlor feel, and are not particularly singable or hummable.

I really much preferred the
Mayda
Jun 22, 2013 Mayda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, fantasy
I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien’s to really enjoy these songs. The words may make more sense if you know the context of the story of which they are a part. The music is unusual. It is not strictly piano/vocal, since the piano often does not play the melody. In parts, it is repetitive, and sometimes I felt like the song – not the road – went ever on. These are not melodies you would go away humming, but I don’t think that was the aim of the composer. Not having read the books, my as ...more
Sofia
Oct 24, 2009 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, own-it
Tolkien approved adaptation to songs of poems from LOTR. Outdated (especially after Howard Shore's masterful scores) but still... Tolkien approved.
Fatma
Aug 22, 2007 Fatma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-uk, jrr-tolkien
3 stars because i only read the translation parts... haven't tried playing it on the piano, since i don't play any musical instruments.
Pratiti
Sep 24, 2011 Pratiti rated it it was amazing
I love the songs in this book--my voice teacher and I have been having so much fun with it.
Alexa
The Road Goes Ever On by J.R.R. Tolkien (2002)
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ako YM
Ako YM rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
William Vega
William Vega rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
C. J. Carlisle
C. J. Carlisle marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
mark
mark marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Nóinín
Nóinín rated it it was amazing
علي معمار
علي معمار rated it it was ok
Maha Aljaser
Maha Aljaser marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Moises
Moises marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Samar Shahin
Samar Shahin rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
ArwendeLuhtiene
ArwendeLuhtiene rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Amber Cochran
Amber Cochran marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Strange Stranger
Strange Stranger rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Jeff Carter
Jeff Carter rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
  • A Tolkien Miscellany
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
  • The Lays of Beleriand (The History of Middle-earth, #3)