Start by marking “The Road Goes Ever on” as Want to Read:
The Road Goes Ever on

The Road Goes Ever on (Middle-Earth Universe)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Poems & songs of Middle Earth...for the millions who have read and loved The Lord of the Rings. Music by Donald Swann. Poetry by J. R. R. Tolkein. Complete with easy-to-play chords for guitar and piano!
Published September 1st 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Goes Ever on, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Goes Ever on

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezRosemary's Baby by Ira LevinNicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. MassieThe Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Best Books of 1967
90th out of 97 books — 32 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienSongs for the Philologists by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by Chuck DixonJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best of J.R.R. Tolkien
22nd out of 50 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Candy
The melodies are not amazing, but my copy is a beautiful early edition from England: found in a used book store, it's like an artifact. For this small book, Professor Tolkien wrote new Middle Earth material that expanded on a song Galadrial sang. This expanded material, the composer's conversations with Tolkien in the forward, and Tolkien's visually stylized presentation of Elvish-to-English translations make this one of the most special books I own.
David Jones
I'm a musician, so I was interested in what some of the many songs Tolkien has in the Trilogy might be like as real songs.

Unfortunately, the composer was one of those modern types who wrote very modern (as in unusual harmonies and intervals, etc) melodies that wouldn't have been sung by anyone in Middle Earth ...
Carla Eskelsen
I have the original book, as well as the vinyl record. I must admit, I got 5 stars' worth of enjoyment out of them, mostly because of the collaboration and approval of the author, for whom I have profound respect and admiration.

That said, however, the tunes lacked the kind of authentic "aged and folky" feel that you would expect from the cultures Prof Tolkien created; they have a more formal and 19th century parlor feel, and are not particularly singable or hummable.

I really much preferred the
Mayda
I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien’s to really enjoy these songs. The words may make more sense if you know the context of the story of which they are a part. The music is unusual. It is not strictly piano/vocal, since the piano often does not play the melody. In parts, it is repetitive, and sometimes I felt like the song – not the road – went ever on. These are not melodies you would go away humming, but I don’t think that was the aim of the composer. Not having read the books, my as ...more
Linda Hoover
A collaboration between J.R.R. Tolkien and Donald Swann produced this fascinating book! This is some of Tolkien's poetry and songs set to music!! A must-have for Tolkien fans!
Sofia
Tolkien approved adaptation to songs of poems from LOTR. Outdated (especially after Howard Shore's masterful scores) but still... Tolkien approved.
Fatma
3 stars because i only read the translation parts... haven't tried playing it on the piano, since i don't play any musical instruments.
Titi
I love the songs in this book--my voice teacher and I have been having so much fun with it.
Alexa
The Road Goes Ever On by J.R.R. Tolkien (2002)
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ahmed Diab
Ahmed Diab marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Irene Esposito
Irene Esposito marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Brian Kenison
Brian Kenison marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Philipp
Philipp marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Ale
Ale marked it as to-read
Corrine Joyce Pablo
Corrine Joyce Pablo marked it as to-read
Spilla7298
Spilla7298 marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jacqqueliine
Jacqqueliine marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
David Van acker
David Van acker marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Joanne Henry
Joanne Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Athelas Hale
Athelas Hale marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • Mr. Bliss
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
  • The Lays of Beleriand (The History of Middle-earth, #3)
Swann's Way The Songs Of Michael Flanders & Donald Swann The Space Between the Bars Swann's Way Out: A Posthumous Adventure Sing Round The Year