The Road Goes Ever on

The Road Goes Ever on (Middle-Earth Universe)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Poems & songs of Middle Earth...for the millions who have read and loved The Lord of the Rings. Music by Donald Swann. Poetry by J. R. R. Tolkein. Complete with easy-to-play chords for guitar and piano!
Published September 1st 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published 1967)

David Jones
I'm a musician, so I was interested in what some of the many songs Tolkien has in the Trilogy might be like as real songs.

Unfortunately, the composer was one of those modern types who wrote very modern (as in unusual harmonies and intervals, etc) melodies that wouldn't have been sung by anyone in Middle Earth ...
Carla Eskelsen
I have the original book, as well as the vinyl record. I must admit, I got 5 stars' worth of enjoyment out of them, mostly because of the collaboration and approval of the author, for whom I have profound respect and admiration.

That said, however, the tunes lacked the kind of authentic "aged and folky" feel that you would expect from the cultures Prof Tolkien created; they have a more formal and 19th century parlor feel, and are not particularly singable or hummable.

I really much preferred the...more
Mayda
I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien’s to really enjoy these songs. The words may make more sense if you know the context of the story of which they are a part. The music is unusual. It is not strictly piano/vocal, since the piano often does not play the melody. In parts, it is repetitive, and sometimes I felt like the song – not the road – went ever on. These are not melodies you would go away humming, but I don’t think that was the aim of the composer. Not having read the books, my as...more
Linda Hoover
A collaboration between J.R.R. Tolkien and Donald Swann produced this fascinating book! This is some of Tolkien's poetry and songs set to music!! A must-have for Tolkien fans!
Sofia
Tolkien approved adaptation to songs of poems from LOTR. Outdated (especially after Howard Shore's masterful scores) but still... Tolkien approved.
Fatma
3 stars because i only read the translation parts... haven't tried playing it on the piano, since i don't play any musical instruments.
Titi
I love the songs in this book--my voice teacher and I have been having so much fun with it.
Alexa
The Road Goes Ever On by J.R.R. Tolkien (2002)
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Wonderwall123
Wonderwall123 marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Cody Van buren
Cody Van buren marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Mary-elizabeth
Mary-elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Samantha Mcquade
Samantha Mcquade marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Mervi
Mervi added it
Mar 26, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Joelle C.
Joelle C. marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Sruthi Murali
Sruthi Murali marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Brittany Naughton
Brittany Naughton marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Mary O'Brien
Mary O'Brien marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ashle Oaks
Ashle Oaks marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Maxim
Maxim marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Alexander Medvedkov
Alexander Medvedkov marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Hunter Haynes
Hunter Haynes marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Aditi Rao
Aditi Rao marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
  • The History Of Middle Earth Index
  • Mr. Bliss
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
Swann's Way The Songs Of Michael Flanders & Donald Swann The Space Between the Bars Swann's Way Out: A Posthumous Adventure Sing Round The Year