Start by marking “Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth” as Want to Read:
Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  16 reviews
On the Journey of Life, Do You Sometimes Wish You Had a Map? You now hold such a map in your hands-a guide through the twelve gateways of personal growth to the summit of your potential. Dan Millman makes your ascent accessible by bringing enlightenment down to earth-applying spiritual wisdom to the practical realities of everyday life. Explore the challenges and mysteries ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Enlightenment

Memo
After reading the Peaceful Warrior I thought I'd give this one a try since Millman's story and his learnings with his spiritual guide were a true story, and it was actually pretty good. It describes a lot of "little" things one can do in everyday life to make the best of it and live a life of growth and fulfillment.
Bridget
This book is really similar to "No ordinary Moments", so I would recommend that one, but if you are into Millman, read it.
Eric
I read one chapter of this book a month, taking time to really absorb it. It takes a look at all aspects of life and how you can make real changes, a little at a time. A practical guide to something nobody can really define, but we all feel on some level.
Jaimi
I keep this book out and read the different Gateways over and over.

"How good can you stand it today?" ~Millman
Andrea Lewis
A 12-step guide to Spirituality.
Stephanie Weeks
I really enjoyed this book. It's quite long & I did not enjoy some chapters as much as others however I love the focal point of this book: Enlightenment is not something you meditate on, it is something you LIVE. and really, no extra time reading your Bible or praying will get you there. This book reminds me to above anything, trust my intuiton. I think the first gateway is the best & most important. Without self-worth, you don't have the motivation to do any of the rest. I love the prin ...more
Avel
Dan Millman, in this book, shows the reader the many gateways that we need to pass in order to realize our true selves and in order to take a greater control of our lives. The challenge shown here is to live life with an every day, moment-to-moment awareness of one's own actions; to act with a fearless, one step in front of the other awareness, a consciousness of being. If you are present to confront your fears, to peer into those dark places that keep you in the shadows. This book leaves no sto ...more
Jason
This guidebook by Dan Millman has useful and wise information for everyone. This book is not your typical trite self-help book that's been rehashed 1000 times.

Dan Millman has done extensive training in meditative disciplines, mystical practices, and other endeavors in the search for enlightenment. While he found these practices to be highly inspirational and wise, he also realized that these practices didn't do any good if you couldn't perform your everyday tasks in an enlightened manner. Thus-
Dennis
This makes me feel a lot better about myself. Kinda like, I wished I had a better car, but then I realize my car is fine. I just need to give it some TLC.

You can start reading this from anywhere and it's a pleasure to go back and re-read. This is like spiritual reference material.

On the back cover:
"The time is now. The road is open. Your destiny awaits."
How can one not be compelled to read this?
Cheri
Aug 12, 2008 Cheri rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy scratching their navels
A packaged feel-good self-help book that manages to talk about everything and nothing.

The advice is mostly common sense - the rest is superficial b.s. I'm planning to leave this one somewhere for someone else to pick up - maybe they'll enjoy it more than I did.

Diane Blastic
best book for developing yourself. common sense, but practice, too. if you read this, do the work that goes with it OR DON'T BOTHER. it's things you know, but need to practice.
Keith
Great book full of suggestions to help your life be more meaningful.
Anita
Absolutly will cause emotional and spiritual growth-Loved it.
Shawn Evans
Jun 19, 2012 Shawn Evans rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone seeking spiritual growth
Just started this one today, but am anxious to dig into it!
Corrie
Yes. I admit that I read books on personal development. What?
Teri Hopwood
A work in progress.
Victoria Klein
Victoria Klein marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Luke
Luke added it
Dec 19, 2014
Peter Adams
Peter Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Zach Sievert
Zach Sievert marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Trix Van tonder
Trix Van tonder marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Baha Hakimov
Baha Hakimov marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want. James Arthur Ray with Linda Sivertsen
  • Thresholds of the Mind
  • Constructive Living
  • The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • Positive Addiction
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • The Science of Being Great
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior The Journeys of Socrates (Peaceful Warrior Saga) The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life