Start by marking “Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth” as Want to Read:
Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
On the Journey of Life, Do You Sometimes Wish You Had a Map? You now hold such a map in your hands-a guide through the twelve gateways of personal growth to the summit of your potential. Dan Millman makes your ascent accessible by bringing enlightenment down to earth-applying spiritual wisdom to the practical realities of everyday life. Explore the challenges and mysteries ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Enlightenment

Dennis
Nov 03, 2010 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This makes me feel a lot better about myself. Kinda like, I wished I had a better car, but then I realize my car is fine. I just need to give it some TLC.

You can start reading this from anywhere and it's a pleasure to go back and re-read. This is like spiritual reference material.

On the back cover:
"The time is now. The road is open. Your destiny awaits."
How can one not be compelled to read this?
Rene
Jan 16, 2016 Rene rated it it was amazing
I have seen this book on the shelves of used book stores so many times and never bought it because I thought I had read it years ago. I saw it again and thought I'd give it another read. Turns out, I never read it! So glad I bought it.

I'm not typically a fan of books or articles that have titles containing the words "7 steps to..." "10 steps to...," etc. and this book contains "12 Gateways to..." so I wasn't expecting much except basics. Further, I was expecting the old "just love everybody, smi
Memo
May 27, 2008 Memo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Peaceful Warrior I thought I'd give this one a try since Millman's story and his learnings with his spiritual guide were a true story, and it was actually pretty good. It describes a lot of "little" things one can do in everyday life to make the best of it and live a life of growth and fulfillment.
Cheri
Aug 12, 2008 Cheri rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy scratching their navels
A packaged feel-good self-help book that manages to talk about everything and nothing.

The advice is mostly common sense - the rest is superficial b.s. I'm planning to leave this one somewhere for someone else to pick up - maybe they'll enjoy it more than I did.

Bridget
Jan 23, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it
This book is really similar to "No ordinary Moments", so I would recommend that one, but if you are into Millman, read it.
Eric
Jul 01, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: sprituality
I read one chapter of this book a month, taking time to really absorb it. It takes a look at all aspects of life and how you can make real changes, a little at a time. A practical guide to something nobody can really define, but we all feel on some level.
Jaimi
May 24, 2007 Jaimi rated it really liked it
I keep this book out and read the different Gateways over and over.

"How good can you stand it today?" ~Millman
Anita
Aug 10, 2011 Anita rated it it was amazing
Absolutly will cause emotional and spiritual growth-Loved it.
Andrea Lewis
Nov 05, 2011 Andrea Lewis rated it really liked it
A 12-step guide to Spirituality.
Brian Johnson
Sep 28, 2015 Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
"When people ask me abstract questions about time, or space, or reincarnation, I may respond by asking whether they exercise regularly, eat a wholesome diet, get enough sleep, show kindness to others, and remember to take a slow, deep breath on occasion--because it seems important to bring our spiritual quest down to earth. Of course, there's nothing wrong with philosophical speculation. But let's not mistake conceptual thought for the spiritual practice of everyday life. After all, what does it ...more
Stephanie Weeks
I really enjoyed this book. It's quite long & I did not enjoy some chapters as much as others however I love the focal point of this book: Enlightenment is not something you meditate on, it is something you LIVE. and really, no extra time reading your Bible or praying will get you there. This book reminds me to above anything, trust my intuiton. I think the first gateway is the best & most important. Without self-worth, you don't have the motivation to do any of the rest. I love the prin ...more
Avel Rudenko
Dan Millman, in this book, shows the reader the many gateways that we need to pass in order to realize our true selves and in order to take a greater control of our lives. The challenge shown here is to live life with an every day, moment-to-moment awareness of one's own actions; to act with a fearless, one step in front of the other awareness, a consciousness of being. If you are present to confront your fears, to peer into those dark places that keep you in the shadows. This book leaves no sto ...more
Jason
Nov 07, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guidebook by Dan Millman has useful and wise information for everyone. This book is not your typical trite self-help book that's been rehashed 1000 times.

Dan Millman has done extensive training in meditative disciplines, mystical practices, and other endeavors in the search for enlightenment. While he found these practices to be highly inspirational and wise, he also realized that these practices didn't do any good if you couldn't perform your everyday tasks in an enlightened manner. Thus-
Alex Hodgkin
Jan 15, 2016 Alex Hodgkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book

The most succinct and clear summary of everything I have learned in my life to this moment. Awakened and alive.
Diane Blastic
Jun 18, 2008 Diane Blastic rated it it was amazing
best book for developing yourself. common sense, but practice, too. if you read this, do the work that goes with it OR DON'T BOTHER. it's things you know, but need to practice.
Keith
Oct 10, 2010 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book full of suggestions to help your life be more meaningful.
Shawn Evans
Jun 19, 2012 Shawn Evans rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone seeking spiritual growth
Just started this one today, but am anxious to dig into it!
Corrie
Oct 07, 2008 Corrie rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Yes. I admit that I read books on personal development. What?
Teri Hopwood
May 27, 2011 Teri Hopwood rated it really liked it
Shelves:
A work in progress.
Jason Dollaway
Jason Dollaway marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
Jul 18, 2016
Diane Talbot
Diane Talbot marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
jai
jai marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Ben Veldman
Ben Veldman rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Shinji007
Shinji007 marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • Constructive Living
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want
  • Real Magic: Creating Miracles in Everyday Life
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • The First 30 Days: Your Guide to Any Change (and Loving Your Life More)
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • The Power of Decision
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • The Essential Laws of Fearless Living: Find the Power to Never Feel Powerless Again
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Love, Life, Goethe: Lessons of the Imagination from the Great German Poet
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Aspects of the Masculine
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...

“Your sense of worth or deservedness shapes your life by creating tendencies. If you feel worthy and deserving, you tend to make productive choices. (“The world is my oyster.”) If you feel unworthy and undeserving, you tend to make destructive or limiting choices. (“Beggars can't be choosers.”)” 0 likes