Start by marking “Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)

Owlknight (Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  6,292 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Brand new from Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon, "an unbeatable team in fantastic magic and adventure" (Kliatt)--the third and final book in the Darian's Tale trilogy, a powerful saga charged with war and magic, life and love.

Two years after his parents' disappearance, Darian has sought refuge and training from the mysterious Hawk-brothers. Now he has opened his heart to a
Published October 1st 1999 by DAW Hardcover (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Owlknight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owlknight

X
Probably 2 1/2 stars, really. It wasn't a bad book, but I've read better of Lackey's. The pacing seemed very wrong - the first 2/3 of the book are describing the social/political structure of Valdemar and the characters' relational problems. The "main" plot is finally introduced about 100 pages before the end, and then hurriedly dealt with. The result is a slow first part of the book, a very gripping last few chapters, and an epilogue that would have been better expanded. Not a bad book, but no ...more
Matt Hinojosa
If you have ever asked the question, “Why can’t we all just get along?”, then this trilogy is for you, especially books 2 and 3. As the final installment of a fantasy trilogy, this book lacks deception, politics, curses, inherent evil, plotting, twists, turmoil, and/or conflict. We read characters getting along with other characters and having happy celebrations and feasts. Everything is cozy comfortable in the quiet of their Vale, and even when they trek off on a journey, their campsites are us ...more
Mike
Disclaimer: I love Mercedes Lackey. I love Valdemar. I love the heralds. I'd sell my mother to *be* a Tayledras. So you would probably be right not to consider me impartial. I've read and reread them all so many times over the years that I could probably start quoting from them. The Owl Mage trilogy is no exception.

I should start by saying that books 1 and 2 in this trilogy are five star books in my opinion. I enjoyed Darian and Keisha's separate stories, I loved the magery lessons, I was so ple
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is the concluding book in the Owl Mage series, that began with Owlflight and continues in Owlsight, so you should read those first. I'm a fan of Lackey's Valdemar books, and for a fan this is well worth the read.

What's best about it, I think, is the world-building. In this story we get to see more beyond the Heralds and horse-shaped Companions of the first Valdemar books, and it's fun to see the fleshing out of the Hawkbrothers, the gryphons, the dyheli; Lackey's good at giving a sense of
Jen A.
Kathy Davie
First read Sept 10, 2009.

Twenty-fifth in the primary Valdemar fantasy series, 1380-ish AF within the Valdemaran timeline, and third in Darian's Tale, a subseries within Valdemar.

The Story
Errold's Grove is finally getting a Herald---a Herald-Mage no less. And, he's bringing an assistant Herald—Shandi is coming home! The Council decides that Darian must be on an equal level with the Herald-Mage and everyone pulls out all the stops. Lord Breon makes Darian a knight; the Ghost Cat Clan adopt him; an
Bibliotropic
Annikka
Chuck
Number 26 in the quest to read 100 books . . .

The last book in Darien's Tale . . . (repackaged under that title after the fact . . . also known as the 'Owl Trilogy.'

The last, and possibly the best, book in the trilogy. The most interesting character from the second book, Keisha, is back as a competent young adult in the process of becoming a full fledged healer. Darien is now "all grown up" and ready to assume his responsibilities bot as a the leader of the Hawkbrother encampment in Valdemar an
Victoria
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series provides one of the cornerstones of my reading history. After discovering her when quite young, I still follow new additions to the series - nearly twenty years later! I read and re-read these books over and over again throughout my youth, but I haven't re-read this series in its entirety in a long time - and never as an adult. There are some new books added to the series since the last time I read them, so this re-reading project is pretty exciting for me since ...more
Mary
I mentioned in my last review that if I hadn't checked out this book at the same time I picked up the 2nd, I probably would have passed on it altogether. And honestly I almost wish I had. I wasn't that happy with the previous one, but most of all it is this 3rd book that really disappointed me.

There didn't seem to be any focus to this book at all. I mean, what was the story really about? The beginning of the book seemed to meander through different characters without direction. I guess Darian d
Leah
I still want to live in the utopia of a Vale. As I remembered from high school, I loved the descriptions, didn't give half a hoot (ha! Owl pun!) about the plot or characters.
I did notice amazingly healthy relationships (especially the intimate/romantic ones) this time through the trilogy. The Tayledras certainly seem to be an enlightened people! I particularly liked the wedding ceremony in the second book.
Meuryc
excellent book.

I have read this trilogy more times than I can remember. It is my favorite in the Valdemar world. One of my favorite things is that each book is excellent on its own and book two doesn't just feel like filler to set up book three. I would drill love a short story after this book to fill in the what happened next.
Trixie
Again, away from Valdemar into places unknown. Darian and Keisha try to find Darian's parents in the distant...distance (I don't have the book with me, okay?) and learn what it means to truly be a couple for the long run. I have fewer fuzzies over this but i still enjoy it that I re-read most everything.
♥Xeni♥
This one was definitely the strangest of all the Darien books. I read it a few years after I had read the first two of this series set in Valdemar so I wasn't at all prepared for the quest-away-from-home. The other two deal closely with Errod's Grove, but this book see's Darien going out to find his parents.

I've never been very interested in the northern barbarians to begin with. The most interesting thing around there was that Darkness character that Vanyel had to fight about 1000 years before
Michelle
If I have one complaint about this last one in the trilogy it is that there is too much description of clothing. However, all of the questions are answered, everyone grows up (both in their own eyes and everybody else's), and the reader is left with a sense of completion.
Jeremy Preacher
Eh. This book was sort of muddled and overlong, and I think the entire "knight" subplot was created just so the title could rhyme with the others. (There is no indication in any other book that "knight" is an actual title used in Valdemar.) The actual adventure isn't bad, although the ending is a little too pat, but the fact that it didn't actually start until halfway through the book tried my patience.

Not the worst of the Valdemar books, and the Owl stuff isn't the worst trilogy, but it's reall
Rebecca
Great series, really enjoyed the whole story and plot line.

Also has great characters and builds up the world of valedmar even more.
Logan
I think a lot of my displeasure with this book is that it was horrendously heteronormative to the point where the characters didn't make much internal sense either. Keisha's character feels very disjointed in a way that goes beyond the internal conflict that she is experiencing (about her professional duty and her feelings for Darian) and her behaviour in the epilogue makes absolutely no sense to me. Furthermore, there is just too much rape. It's described as horrific but I have grown really tir ...more
Barry
Fine finish for the trilogy. Darian is a master Mage and finds his parents
Denise
Last of the "Owl" series (or Darien's Tale) by Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon. This series did not deliver the same gut satisfaction as the Arrows of the Queen series (Lackey's best IMHO). This final story of the series was better than #2 and way better than #1 but the ending did not satisfy me. The fears of commitment by Keisha were not fully discussed with Darien but more like just "taken care of" by the author.

Can add this series to my "read" list but just didn't do much for me...
Helen
I finished it at 3 in the morning and I am not a night owl. I love the healing and magic but the ending felt facile and rushed. Or maybe I was just up way past my bed time.
Elizabeth S
Really 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this one more than the earlier two in the Owl series, mostly because of the second half of the book. The first half was more of the repetitive world-building involving the Hawkbrothers and Healers and other perfect-solutions-to-the-world's-problems society elements. Also the typical relationship stuff. The book changed to a quest in the middle, and I enjoyed the second half much more because the characters actually did something.
Andrea
Lackey is one of my favorite authors ever! I started reading her Valdemar series in 8th grade but I will still pull out her books to reread them. I also love her work so much that I never miss the chance to buy her new stuff. This series was her last full Valdemar series and I’m sad to say I almost wish she hadn’t written it. This whole series just fell flat for me and although, as always her characters were great, the whole work just felt a bit formulaic.
zoomdoggies
I just finished this book, and the previous book in the series. I read the first book in the trilogy many years ago, and remembered enjoying it. So, the whole time I was reading these books, I was wondering if the first book could have been that much worse than I remembered? I was also wondering why I kept reading, when I found the pacing uneven, the dialogue totally unconvincing, and most of the characters uninteresting.
Catherine Thompson
In this, the third part of the Owl trilogy, Darian, now a Master Mage, goes in search of his parents, long missing and presumed dead.

In all honesty, I think this final volume of the trilogy was a bit long; some judicious editing might have taken it down a hundred pages or so without damaging the story at all. The romantic sub-plot was actually well done, even if it was quite clear all through how it was going to end.
Ramoths Own
I had a wonderful time spending a year in Valdamar and am so sorry that my time there is over. I loved this series and thought that the tale of Darian was just wonderful. I really enjoyed growing up with him and finding out the answers that he needed to have. I love Keisha and all of the Hawkbrothers that we were able to meet up with again.

All of these books were amazing to me. I had the best time reading them.
Meg
The ending was very abrupt - or rather, the epiloge was. The first half of the book was incredibly slow and boring. I can appreciate that Ms. Lackey was exploring the world outside of Valdemar, other cultures and all, but it's just not something I'm incredibly interested in. The only thing that saved the book from getting 2 stars instead of the 3 I gave it was (view spoiler)
Férial
Pleasant enough. Not M.Lackey at her best though.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
Book three in the Darien's tale is a great continuation. Every story with the Hawkbrothers always makes me happy. When I think of the Hawkbrothers, I wish I could be there. The world Ms. Lackey creates is so rich and full of things I dream of. I recommend this book to someone who wants to escape the concrete world.
Goodreads Librari...: Owlknight - series title misspelled 3 26 Oct 19, 2011 01:55PM
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)

“If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
(a Shin'a'in saying)”
278 likes
“I have no place in my life for someone who is sure he can do everything.” 25 likes