Start by marking “Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)

Owlknight (Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,367 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Brand new from Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon, "an unbeatable team in fantastic magic and adventure" (Kliatt)--the third and final book in the Darian's Tale trilogy, a powerful saga charged with war and magic, life and love.

Two years after his parents' disappearance, Darian has sought refuge and training from the mysterious Hawk-brothers. Now he has opened his heart to a
Published October 1st 1999 by DAW Hardcover (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Owlknight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owlknight

X
May 20, 2009 X rated it liked it
Probably 2 1/2 stars, really. It wasn't a bad book, but I've read better of Lackey's. The pacing seemed very wrong - the first 2/3 of the book are describing the social/political structure of Valdemar and the characters' relational problems. The "main" plot is finally introduced about 100 pages before the end, and then hurriedly dealt with. The result is a slow first part of the book, a very gripping last few chapters, and an epilogue that would have been better expanded. Not a bad book, but no ...more
Jess Hale
Apr 13, 2016 Jess Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
H
Mar 15, 2015 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book always kind of felt like the oh-this-is-supposed-to-be-a-trilogy-quick-what-should-it-be-about book rather than a solid connection to/continuation of the other two. The plot doesn't happen until the last third/fourth of the book, and while it's interesting seeing everything Darian and Keisha have accomplished over the last two or three years, it's not quite enough to make up a book. There's no real closure with the one bit of action we see (view spoiler) ...more
Matt H.
Sep 30, 2014 Matt H. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever asked the question, “Why can’t we all just get along?”, then this trilogy is for you, especially books 2 and 3. As the final installment of a fantasy trilogy, this book lacks deception, politics, curses, inherent evil, plotting, twists, turmoil, and/or conflict. We read characters getting along with other characters and having happy celebrations and feasts. Everything is cozy comfortable in the quiet of their Vale, and even when they trek off on a journey, their campsites are us ...more
Lexen
Jun 19, 2015 Lexen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, I'm writing this review as a review of all three of the books in this trilogy. I'm giving all of them the full five stars simply because I love anything to do with the hawkbrothers. Their culture and traditions are fascinating and strange. Lackey's ability at communicating such things in this trilogy leave a bit to be desired, but oh well.

The last book in the trilogy is by far the best, and one particular loose end is tied up perfectly, perhaps a bit unrealistically. But still, this one is
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Aug 31, 2015 The Bookwyrm's Hoard rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, re-read
The third and final book in the Owl Mage trilogy takes us into uncharted territory – literally – as Darian, Keisha, and several of their friends head into the lands north of Valdemar to search for Darian’s parents. First, though, there are a number of tests and ceremonies for Darian to undergo.

Gone are the pacing problems of Owlsight. Even before the search party leaves, there is plenty going on, from Darian’s Mastery trial to the arrival of a permanently-assigned Herald and the festivities surr
Jo Oehrlein
The Northern Clans now have a village near Errold's Grove and k'Valdemar and there's a healer's Sanctuary to treat people with the Wasting Sickness.

The first half of the book is setting the stage for the future -- a herald mage will be stationed here and his intern herald will be Shandi, Keisha's sister.

Keisha and Darian are unsettled in their relationship. Darian passes his Masters exam (why did Elspeth go from nothing to Adept in a few months, but it takes Darian 2 years to become a Master?).
Mike
Jun 15, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I love Mercedes Lackey. I love Valdemar. I love the heralds. I'd sell my mother to *be* a Tayledras. So you would probably be right not to consider me impartial. I've read and reread them all so many times over the years that I could probably start quoting from them. The Owl Mage trilogy is no exception.

I should start by saying that books 1 and 2 in this trilogy are five star books in my opinion. I enjoyed Darian and Keisha's separate stories, I loved the magery lessons, I was so ple
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is the concluding book in the Owl Mage series, that began with Owlflight and continues in Owlsight, so you should read those first. I'm a fan of Lackey's Valdemar books, and for a fan this is well worth the read.

What's best about it, I think, is the world-building. In this story we get to see more beyond the Heralds and horse-shaped Companions of the first Valdemar books, and it's fun to see the fleshing out of the Hawkbrothers, the gryphons, the dyheli; Lackey's good at giving a sense of
Jen A.
Jan 16, 2011 Jen A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, re-read
Kathy Davie
Apr 25, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
First read Sept 10, 2009.

Twenty-fifth in the primary Valdemar fantasy series, 1380-ish AF within the Valdemaran timeline, and third in Darian's Tale as well as third in The Owl Mage Trilogy, both are subseries within Valdemar.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Valdemar books on my website.

My Take
Owlknight is mostly a peek in at the people of Errold's Grove and the k'Valdemar Vale granting us the opportunity to see how well everyone is settling in and working together.
Bibliotropic
Jul 22, 2016 Bibliotropic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valdemar, fantasy
Annikka
Sep 16, 2010 Annikka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chuck
Mar 16, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 26 in the quest to read 100 books . . .

The last book in Darien's Tale . . . (repackaged under that title after the fact . . . also known as the 'Owl Trilogy.'

The last, and possibly the best, book in the trilogy. The most interesting character from the second book, Keisha, is back as a competent young adult in the process of becoming a full fledged healer. Darien is now "all grown up" and ready to assume his responsibilities bot as a the leader of the Hawkbrother encampment in Valdemar an
Victoria
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series provides one of the cornerstones of my reading history. After discovering her when quite young, I still follow new additions to the series - nearly twenty years later! I read and re-read these books over and over again throughout my youth, but I haven't re-read this series in its entirety in a long time - and never as an adult. There are some new books added to the series since the last time I read them, so this re-reading project is pretty exciting for me since ...more
Mary
Mar 13, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I mentioned in my last review that if I hadn't checked out this book at the same time I picked up the 2nd, I probably would have passed on it altogether. And honestly I almost wish I had. I wasn't that happy with the previous one, but most of all it is this 3rd book that really disappointed me.

There didn't seem to be any focus to this book at all. I mean, what was the story really about? The beginning of the book seemed to meander through different characters without direction. I guess Darian d
Nisie draws
Apr 14, 2016 Nisie draws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual of this series it was full of magic and adventure, Darian and Keisha figured out how to balance their magical careers and their relationship, and it was SO REFRESHING to see a strong woman refuse to give up doing the things she cares about to stay with the man she likes.
As always there was a happy ending and I appreciate that these books can have grim things happen, but they never outweigh the good.
Leah
Aug 30, 2014 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still want to live in the utopia of a Vale. As I remembered from high school, I loved the descriptions, didn't give half a hoot (ha! Owl pun!) about the plot or characters.
I did notice amazingly healthy relationships (especially the intimate/romantic ones) this time through the trilogy. The Tayledras certainly seem to be an enlightened people! I particularly liked the wedding ceremony in the second book.
Wench
This very nearly gets to "I actively resent having read this" territory. The pacing is terrible, the conflict is boring, the characterization is all over the place, the geography makes no goddamn sense THAT IS NOT HOW DIRECTIONS WORK, it feels like there were giant chunks of missing pages... basically Lackey & Dixon needed a third book for a contract and phoned this one in so hard, they recycled an action sequence or three from earlier books. Don't start reading Valdemar books with this tril ...more
Christine
Jan 16, 2016 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main thing i have to say for the Owl books is that the illustrations absolutely ruined them for me, and almost ruined Valdemar. They are not very well done, and run totally contradictory to how all the characters have been described and portrayed in the series to this point. When you make the Hawkbrothers look no better than garden gnomes... Haven, we have a problem.
Meuryc
excellent book.

I have read this trilogy more times than I can remember. It is my favorite in the Valdemar world. One of my favorite things is that each book is excellent on its own and book two doesn't just feel like filler to set up book three. I would drill love a short story after this book to fill in the what happened next.
Chris Noel
Jul 14, 2016 Chris Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book of a trilogy about Darian, adopted by Hawkbrothers. He becomes a Master Mage, his Healer love, Keisha, also becomes a Master Healer. It is a bit predictable, but still a good story. Orphan boy finds his parents, defeats an evil magician, wins the day with human and nonhuman friends, and wins the heart of his lady-love.
Trixie
Sep 12, 2014 Trixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, away from Valdemar into places unknown. Darian and Keisha try to find Darian's parents in the distant...distance (I don't have the book with me, okay?) and learn what it means to truly be a couple for the long run. I have fewer fuzzies over this but i still enjoy it that I re-read most everything.
♥Xeni♥
This one was definitely the strangest of all the Darien books. I read it a few years after I had read the first two of this series set in Valdemar so I wasn't at all prepared for the quest-away-from-home. The other two deal closely with Errod's Grove, but this book see's Darien going out to find his parents.

I've never been very interested in the northern barbarians to begin with. The most interesting thing around there was that Darkness character that Vanyel had to fight about 1000 years before
Annette McIntyre
Mar 21, 2016 Annette McIntyre rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, valdemar
Now an adult and a Master Mage, Darian discovers artifacts that indicate his parents aren't dead as everyone had assumed. Now he is obsessed with finding them.

A good closing chapter to Darian's Tale.
Alayne
Jan 28, 2016 Alayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final in the Owl Mage Trilogy, this is a satisfying conclusion to a good story. Very entertaining, some humour and a lot of change and growth in the characters. Extremely enjoyable.
Robert Sorensen
Jul 26, 2015 Robert Sorensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owlknight (The Owl Mage Trilogy Book 3)

I may be easy to please but really liked all three of the books. They were entertaining and yet kept wanting to come back to it.
Quinn
Jul 24, 2016 Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 12, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Eh. This book was sort of muddled and overlong, and I think the entire "knight" subplot was created just so the title could rhyme with the others. (There is no indication in any other book that "knight" is an actual title used in Valdemar.) The actual adventure isn't bad, although the ending is a little too pat, but the fact that it didn't actually start until halfway through the book tried my patience.

Not the worst of the Valdemar books, and the Owl stuff isn't the worst trilogy, but it's reall
Jessica Cale
Aug 26, 2015 Jessica Cale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darren hears tales that his family might be in the far north. As a young adult, he and Keira journey to find his long lost family. Very emotional.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #99 - Owlknight 1 2 Jun 17, 2015 02:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #85 - Owlknight 1 1 Jun 04, 2014 12:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Owlknight - series title misspelled 3 26 Oct 19, 2011 01:55PM
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Long Hot Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)

“If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
(a Shin'a'in saying)”
333 likes
“I have no place in my life for someone who is sure he can do everything.” 25 likes