Start by marking “Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran” as Want to Read:

Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran (The Cat Who... SSC2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
"Good news for fans of the best-selling Cat who... mysteries--fictional columnist James Qwilleran has finally finished his book showcasing the colorful stories related to him by residents of Moose County, that famous region four hundred miles north of everywhere." --from Description
Published (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Short & Tall Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short & Tall Tales

Jessica
May 21, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Short, entertaining read of folk stories in Qwill's hometown.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2016 Rachel rated it it was ok
A collection of very short stories supposedly told by the citizens of Moose County to James Qwilleran. The stories didn't hang together at all, were all over the place and a lot of them didn't seem to have any point. Most of these stories are reprinted from various Cat Who books. To me these stories represent what has gone wrong with the series, too many boring stories and no mystery. There was only one story I really liked but with the stories being about 3 pages long it was a short read.
itchy
Jun 13, 2016 itchy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
scamadiddles did the trick for me
Knit Spirit
Ce recueil de « légendes » est prétendument écrit par le héros des livres « Le chat qui… ». On y retrouve de nombreuses histoires déjà connues des ouvrages précédents. C’est mignon mais ça casse pas 3 pattes à un canard et ça a, à mon goût, un peu trop un air de déjà lu.
En bref : ça ne vaut pas les « Le chat qui… ».
Jul 06, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Throughout the "Cat Who" series, Jim Qwilleran is writing a book of tales about Moose County citizens. This book is a collection of those, many of which I recalled from past books. It's delightful how Braun has studied the mining era, the bootlegging era etc. to add life and humor to these tales.
Diana
Jul 01, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
This book is a compilation of stories told by the population of Moose County from the Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun. If you're a fan of the Cat Who books I suggest reading this, you might be lost if you haven't read the mystery series before.
Paula Ratcliffe
I recently picked up a copy of this book and found it to be just what I expected, although I have found others anticipated a mystery book it's anything but mystery it's chock full of little stories people have told James Qwilleran when they ran in to him in Moose County. I found them delightful and love how people came up to him on the street or at his residence with another story from long ago. I think people need to remember that James always said one day he'd write a book about all these litt ...more
Tania
Jun 30, 2016 Tania rated it it was ok
I'm obviously at a disadvantage, not having read the mystery series this book was based off of. I didn't realize that until I was done with the book and looking for a reason why I was confused. Even knowing that the stories are a part of the series, I felt the stories were disjointed and incomplete. Most of them felt as if important parts were left out that if included would have not only been a more complete story but a more entertaining one as well.
Amy "the book-bat"
This is a collection of short stories that are a sort of companion piece for the Cat Who series. The cats do not appear in the book, but their owner, Qwill, does. The stories are like a compilation of Qwill's news columns for the Moose County Something. They are quick and easy to read, most are 2-3 pages long. If you enjoy the qwirky cast of characters in the Cat Who series, you will probably enjoy this book.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: only fans of the author
I was really disappointed by this latest entry into "The Cat Who" series. I've been getting a little tired of the series anyway, but I thought this might really be something different, something fun. It wasn't nearly as good as I had expected. These tales are slight at best, and mere sketches at worst. I was hoping for something meaty with some depth. Even she wanted to write some short stories, did they have to be this short? I don't really understand the whole point of this book. I think the i ...more
Dee-Ann
Mar 09, 2011 Dee-Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, memoir
This was a short book, the copy I had was only about 120 pages, of short stories, anecdotes of people and sometimes cats who lived in Moose County, which is apparently 400 miles north of everywhere, somewhere in the US near the Canadian border. The tales are of people in the late 1800s early 1900s, who lived in this region which was a mining, bootlegging and rural region.

I enjoyed the book, it was fast, quirky and there were some surprises along the way. Some of the tales were a bit spooky, eg d
Vanessa
Nov 03, 2014 Vanessa rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Love most of Lilian Jackson Braun writing. This book is short stories (obviously) and most of them were just plain dumb...unfinished feeling...no plot. I'm not much of a fan of short stories so maybe its just me....but I say don't read.
Donna Rowe
May 31, 2014 Donna Rowe rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I find Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum fascinating, their neighbors not so much. I enjoyed the series more in its original setting in the city. Those who love Pickaxe, however, will enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I was bored.
Rrshively
Aug 08, 2015 Rrshively rated it it was ok
I read this for title with antonyms in my 50 Book Challenge. The stories didn't seem to amount to much. It was okay, though. I read it while my shampooed carpet dried, a very short read.
Debra
Feb 05, 2014 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, although it was not as exciting as the mysteries by Ms. Braun. Here she takes on Quill's persona and presents a series of short stories as he would have written them.
Misti Pittman
Sep 01, 2016 Misti Pittman rated it liked it
Cute book. Short stories. Kept my interest. It was something light-hearted to read, considering I've been reading more heavy fiction.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Susan Pope
Feb 26, 2016 Susan Pope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A very quick read. Delightful old timer's stories of what made Moose County what it is today. These stories can also be found incorporated in the Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun.
Lee
Sadly, this small book is just a repeat of a number of local Pickaxe City stories that have all been told in various books in The Cat Who series. Very boring.
Massanutten Regional Library
Violet, Grottoes patron, June 2015, 5 stars:

Have read and enjoyed all of her books. "The Cat Who" series are fun with Koko and Yum Yum.
Janet
Apr 19, 2016 Janet rated it liked it
Vignets that might have made it into one of the cat books. Amusing to be reacquainted with all the characters.
Melissa
Sep 17, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Really hard to rate. Short stories compiled by Qwill. Some cute, some boring. Not really worth reading but quick.
Teddy
Jul 06, 2016 Teddy rated it liked it
Some were a bit too short. Seemed like they were lacking a bit. Over all very enjoyable and quick.
Diana Petty-stone
Jul 24, 2015 Diana Petty-stone rated it liked it
Interesting Moose County stories from James Mackintosh Qwilleran of the Cat Who series.
Cathy
Dec 11, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
reread on 12-11-14
Heather
Nov 10, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really enjoyable read, especially after having read the series and seeing Qwill collecting stories from all the characters. Besides the one I mentioned previously, I also really liked "Phineas Ford's Fabulous Collection" - it had me laughing out loud!

All of the stories were quick and easy to read. It was just the sort of book to read between one task and the next. I had time to finish a story and tuck the bookmark inside while still doing all the things I need to do in my busy life.
Virginia Kahn
May 13, 2015 Virginia Kahn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: short story and fiction lovers
Recommended to Virginia by: Second Hand Store
this was a good book i was not disappointed i have read all but 3 of Lilian Jackson Braun's books it was a short read -- looking for a break from your normal routine, or going through a book hang over wondering where do i go next while you search for the next big novel on your list this may be the one you need - i had the pleasure of meeting her years ago in a borders book store one evening as she did a book chat - picked up her book then never looked back easy reads enjoyable
Beth Albany
Feb 06, 2014 Beth Albany rated it it was amazing
fun quick read
Rena Glubay
Oct 11, 2015 Rena Glubay rated it liked it
It was ok but I didn't enjoy it as much as the The Cat Who... books that I am working my way through.
Grete
Jul 27, 2011 Grete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointingly brief, and several stories disappointingly inconsequential. Much of the material was drawn from the Cat Who novels, and somehow the history seems less rich and interesting away from the context of the books. The historical and the modern-day need to coexist and complement on another since Braun's vision is not as comprehensive and thorough as would sustain the history on its own.
David
For fans of Lilian Jackson Braun, this book is a fun read. There are many mentions of stories that Qwill has collected, and wants to put into a book. Well, this is that book. You get insight into the characters, a bit of history, and the body count is very much lower than the normal Cat Who story. If you want to just step back and learn more about Qwill and the community, this is it.
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Purrfect Murder (Mrs. Murphy, #16)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)