Start by marking “Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran” as Want to Read:

Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran (Cat Who... SSC2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  833 ratings  ·  47 reviews
As the devoted readers of the series know, Qwill has been working on this book since The Cat Who Tailed a Thief. Now the tales are finally all compiled-legends such as "The Secret of the Blacksmith's Wife" and "The Trevelyan Curse."

In Short and Tall Tales, Lilian Jackson Braun introduces James Mackintosh Qwilleran and tells how he collected the tales. Qwill provides a pr...more
Published (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Short & Tall Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short & Tall Tales

Throughout the "Cat Who" series, Jim Qwilleran is writing a book of tales about Moose County citizens. This book is a collection of those, many of which I recalled from past books. It's delightful how Braun has studied the mining era, the bootlegging era etc. to add life and humor to these tales.
Amy
This is a collection of short stories that are a sort of companion piece for the Cat Who series. The cats do not appear in the book, but their owner, Qwill, does. The stories are like a compilation of Qwill's news columns for the Moose County Something. They are quick and easy to read, most are 2-3 pages long. If you enjoy the qwirky cast of characters in the Cat Who series, you will probably enjoy this book.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only fans of the author
I was really disappointed by this latest entry into "The Cat Who" series. I've been getting a little tired of the series anyway, but I thought this might really be something different, something fun. It wasn't nearly as good as I had expected. These tales are slight at best, and mere sketches at worst. I was hoping for something meaty with some depth. Even she wanted to write some short stories, did they have to be this short? I don't really understand the whole point of this book. I think the i...more
Dee-Ann
This was a short book, the copy I had was only about 120 pages, of short stories, anecdotes of people and sometimes cats who lived in Moose County, which is apparently 400 miles north of everywhere, somewhere in the US near the Canadian border. The tales are of people in the late 1800s early 1900s, who lived in this region which was a mining, bootlegging and rural region.

I enjoyed the book, it was fast, quirky and there were some surprises along the way. Some of the tales were a bit spooky, eg d...more
Donna Rowe
I find Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum fascinating, their neighbors not so much. I enjoyed the series more in its original setting in the city. Those who love Pickaxe, however, will enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I was bored.
Debra
I enjoyed reading this book, although it was not as exciting as the mysteries by Ms. Braun. Here she takes on Quill's persona and presents a series of short stories as he would have written them.
Melissa
Really hard to rate. Short stories compiled by Qwill. Some cute, some boring. Not really worth reading but quick.
Heather
It was a really enjoyable read, especially after having read the series and seeing Qwill collecting stories from all the characters. Besides the one I mentioned previously, I also really liked "Phineas Ford's Fabulous Collection" - it had me laughing out loud!

All of the stories were quick and easy to read. It was just the sort of book to read between one task and the next. I had time to finish a story and tuck the bookmark inside while still doing all the things I need to do in my busy life.
Beth Albany
fun quick read
Grete
Disappointingly brief, and several stories disappointingly inconsequential. Much of the material was drawn from the Cat Who novels, and somehow the history seems less rich and interesting away from the context of the books. The historical and the modern-day need to coexist and complement on another since Braun's vision is not as comprehensive and thorough as would sustain the history on its own.
David
For fans of Lilian Jackson Braun, this book is a fun read. There are many mentions of stories that Qwill has collected, and wants to put into a book. Well, this is that book. You get insight into the characters, a bit of history, and the body count is very much lower than the normal Cat Who story. If you want to just step back and learn more about Qwill and the community, this is it.
Eyehavenofilter
I loved this, so many little tales that are referred to in the books are explained here. Every story has an intro "by" Jim Q. "The owner" of the 2 famous kitties, and how he came by the story. From bootleggers, swampy trompings, and ghostly cats scratching at your door when bad things are about to happen to who dunnits, this is a cute tour through Pickax, north of everywhere.
Marcia
These short stories are a collection of family & community legends of Moose County. Sometimes, a person whose name is the same as one of the characters in one of Braun's novels appears. Mostly, these seem to be stories passed down. Each is short and uncomplicated and supports general ideas and impressions of the mythical Moose County.
Julie
What a creative thing to do! Lillian Jackson Braun uses her character, James Mackintosh Qwilleran, to write historical events and stories from the area that her stories are found, in hopes to fill in any missing pieces from the long stretch of time her stories cover. What a great book and it was, as always, well written.
Keith Weller
This may not be what we have come to expect from Lillian Jackson Braun, but its a fun book to read all the same. it took me less than five hours. I thought it was fun though to get more of a history on a town that doesn't really exist, its these subtleties that make this a good series.
Paula Dembeck
Fictional columnist James Quilleran puts together stories related to him by the residents of Moose County. We are told how he collected the stories, and each one is prefaced by a small note detailing the teller and their circumstances.
A very short, quick read. A disappointment.
Diana
This book is a compilation of stories told by the population of Moose County from the Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun. If you're a fan of the Cat Who books I suggest reading this, you might be lost if you haven't read the mystery series before.
This is an accumulation of very brief accounts of legends and tales from the Moose County area. They were a little quirky and a little funny, but nothing very spectacular. My favorite? Probably 'The Pork-and-Beans Incident at Boggy Bottom'.
Donna
This is a collection of the tales that emerge through the series. For that reason I've given it 3 stars. I've already read each of them while reading the series. For a quick read of them, though, this is a concise collection.
Rick Ludwig
As a big fan of the Cat Who mysteries, I couldn't miss this opportunity to see the tales Qwill had collected over his time in Moose County. A very pleasant read. Short and sweet.
Susan
I got this because I thought it would be a good change of pace from such long stories. They were short alright. 3 cassettes and 25 stories. Pointless, but it passed the time.
Rachel (Sfogs)
The stories were sooo cute! I really liked the one about Punkin the cat!
Thanks to imawinn2 and bookcrossing, for sending me the book as part of Secret Santa 09
Tiffeny
I'm enjoyed most of the books I've read by Lilian Jackson Braun, but this one? Not so much. Thankfully it as a quick read, so I didnt' waste much time on it.
Cathi95
(Short stories 2002) I like her cat books better. Short and stilted stories about mythical Moose County and its history.
Lisa
It was good, but I prefer the series overall. I probably will not keep this one and don't see myself re-reading it.
Deborah
This book is a compilation of all the short and tall tales Qwill has recorded from citizen around Moose County.
Debra
The long-awaited and much-anticipated book that the hero of the "Cat Who" books has been working on for years.
Suzanne Bordwell
Oct 19, 2008 Suzanne Bordwell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like the CAT WHO series
I love all of the CAT WHO books and this is a fast read. Each short story is a page or three long.
Delene
Short stories of the Moose County Legends. They were a fun and easy read. Not one of the best writings.
Jan
This was short, light and humorous. Short tales from the "Cat who..." mysteries by Lilian Jackson Braun.
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy #11)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #18)
  • A Conventional Corpse (Claire Malloy, #13)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)