Start by marking “Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran” as Want to Read:

Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran (Cat Who... SSC2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  972 ratings  ·  58 reviews
"Good news for fans of the best-selling Cat who... mysteries--fictional columnist James Qwilleran has finally finished his book showcasing the colorful stories related to him by residents of Moose County, that famous region four hundred miles north of everywhere." --from Description
Published (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Short & Tall Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short & Tall Tales

Knit Spirit
Ce recueil de « légendes » est prétendument écrit par le héros des livres « Le chat qui… ». On y retrouve de nombreuses histoires déjà connues des ouvrages précédents. C’est mignon mais ça casse pas 3 pattes à un canard et ça a, à mon goût, un peu trop un air de déjà lu.
En bref : ça ne vaut pas les « Le chat qui… ».
Throughout the "Cat Who" series, Jim Qwilleran is writing a book of tales about Moose County citizens. This book is a collection of those, many of which I recalled from past books. It's delightful how Braun has studied the mining era, the bootlegging era etc. to add life and humor to these tales.
Diana
This book is a compilation of stories told by the population of Moose County from the Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun. If you're a fan of the Cat Who books I suggest reading this, you might be lost if you haven't read the mystery series before.
Amy
This is a collection of short stories that are a sort of companion piece for the Cat Who series. The cats do not appear in the book, but their owner, Qwill, does. The stories are like a compilation of Qwill's news columns for the Moose County Something. They are quick and easy to read, most are 2-3 pages long. If you enjoy the qwirky cast of characters in the Cat Who series, you will probably enjoy this book.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only fans of the author
I was really disappointed by this latest entry into "The Cat Who" series. I've been getting a little tired of the series anyway, but I thought this might really be something different, something fun. It wasn't nearly as good as I had expected. These tales are slight at best, and mere sketches at worst. I was hoping for something meaty with some depth. Even she wanted to write some short stories, did they have to be this short? I don't really understand the whole point of this book. I think the i ...more
Dee-Ann
This was a short book, the copy I had was only about 120 pages, of short stories, anecdotes of people and sometimes cats who lived in Moose County, which is apparently 400 miles north of everywhere, somewhere in the US near the Canadian border. The tales are of people in the late 1800s early 1900s, who lived in this region which was a mining, bootlegging and rural region.

I enjoyed the book, it was fast, quirky and there were some surprises along the way. Some of the tales were a bit spooky, eg d
Vanessa
Love most of Lilian Jackson Braun writing. This book is short stories (obviously) and most of them were just plain dumb...unfinished feeling...no plot. I'm not much of a fan of short stories so maybe its just me....but I say don't read.
Donna Rowe
I find Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum fascinating, their neighbors not so much. I enjoyed the series more in its original setting in the city. Those who love Pickaxe, however, will enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I was bored.
Rrshively
I read this for title with antonyms in my 50 Book Challenge. The stories didn't seem to amount to much. It was okay, though. I read it while my shampooed carpet dried, a very short read.
Debra
I enjoyed reading this book, although it was not as exciting as the mysteries by Ms. Braun. Here she takes on Quill's persona and presents a series of short stories as he would have written them.
Massanutten Regional Library
Violet, Grottoes patron, June 2015, 5 stars:

Have read and enjoyed all of her books. "The Cat Who" series are fun with Koko and Yum Yum.
Melissa
Really hard to rate. Short stories compiled by Qwill. Some cute, some boring. Not really worth reading but quick.
Diana Petty-stone
Interesting Moose County stories from James Mackintosh Qwilleran of the Cat Who series.
Cathy
reread on 12-11-14
Heather
It was a really enjoyable read, especially after having read the series and seeing Qwill collecting stories from all the characters. Besides the one I mentioned previously, I also really liked "Phineas Ford's Fabulous Collection" - it had me laughing out loud!

All of the stories were quick and easy to read. It was just the sort of book to read between one task and the next. I had time to finish a story and tuck the bookmark inside while still doing all the things I need to do in my busy life.
Virginia Kahn
May 13, 2015 Virginia Kahn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: short story and fiction lovers
Recommended to Virginia by: Second Hand Store
this was a good book i was not disappointed i have read all but 3 of Lilian Jackson Braun's books it was a short read -- looking for a break from your normal routine, or going through a book hang over wondering where do i go next while you search for the next big novel on your list this may be the one you need - i had the pleasure of meeting her years ago in a borders book store one evening as she did a book chat - picked up her book then never looked back easy reads enjoyable
Beth Albany
fun quick read
Grete
Disappointingly brief, and several stories disappointingly inconsequential. Much of the material was drawn from the Cat Who novels, and somehow the history seems less rich and interesting away from the context of the books. The historical and the modern-day need to coexist and complement on another since Braun's vision is not as comprehensive and thorough as would sustain the history on its own.
David
For fans of Lilian Jackson Braun, this book is a fun read. There are many mentions of stories that Qwill has collected, and wants to put into a book. Well, this is that book. You get insight into the characters, a bit of history, and the body count is very much lower than the normal Cat Who story. If you want to just step back and learn more about Qwill and the community, this is it.
Eyehavenofilter
I loved this, so many little tales that are referred to in the books are explained here. Every story has an intro "by" Jim Q. "The owner" of the 2 famous kitties, and how he came by the story. From bootleggers, swampy trompings, and ghostly cats scratching at your door when bad things are about to happen to who dunnits, this is a cute tour through Pickax, north of everywhere.
Marcia
These short stories are a collection of family & community legends of Moose County. Sometimes, a person whose name is the same as one of the characters in one of Braun's novels appears. Mostly, these seem to be stories passed down. Each is short and uncomplicated and supports general ideas and impressions of the mythical Moose County.
Julie
What a creative thing to do! Lillian Jackson Braun uses her character, James Mackintosh Qwilleran, to write historical events and stories from the area that her stories are found, in hopes to fill in any missing pieces from the long stretch of time her stories cover. What a great book and it was, as always, well written.
Keith Weller
This may not be what we have come to expect from Lillian Jackson Braun, but its a fun book to read all the same. it took me less than five hours. I thought it was fun though to get more of a history on a town that doesn't really exist, its these subtleties that make this a good series.
Paula Dembeck
Fictional columnist James Quilleran puts together stories related to him by the residents of Moose County. We are told how he collected the stories, and each one is prefaced by a small note detailing the teller and their circumstances.
A very short, quick read. A disappointment.
Joyce
This is a series of two to five page stories about the residents or former residents of Moose County and it surrounds, if you have read any of the Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who..... Books then the reader may find this series of tidbits interesting.
Nicole Long
If you are a fan of the Cat Who books, this was a fun and quick read! It is a collection of the stories Qwill gathers in each of the novels for the book he is writing. I recalled several of the stories and was pleasantly surprised by others.
Laura Verret
This is an accumulation of very brief accounts of legends and tales from the Moose County area. They were a little quirky and a little funny, but nothing very spectacular. My favorite? Probably 'The Pork-and-Beans Incident at Boggy Bottom'.
Donna
This is a collection of the tales that emerge through the series. For that reason I've given it 3 stars. I've already read each of them while reading the series. For a quick read of them, though, this is a concise collection.
Rick Ludwig
As a big fan of the Cat Who mysteries, I couldn't miss this opportunity to see the tales Qwill had collected over his time in Moose County. A very pleasant read. Short and sweet.
Elizabeth Meadows
Fun stories for fans of The Cat Who Series. Written like they are from Qwillerans newspaper columns and results of his interviews with various Moose County characters.
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)