Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)

Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Petite, indomitable North Carolinian Abigail Timberlake rose gloriously up from the ashes of divorce--parlaying her savvy about exquisite old things into a thriving antiques enterprise: the Den of Antiquity. Now she's a force to be reckoned with in Charlotte's close-knit world of mavens, eccentrics and cuttthroat dealers. But a superb, gilt-edged 18th-century French armoir...more
Published December 1st 1996 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Gilt By Association, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilt By Association

Bea
Abigail Timberlake lives in Charlotte, NC. She owns an antique furniture store and has just received four pieces of Louis XV furniture that she won at auction. Imagine her dismay to find a dead body in the armoire! Since the local cops shut her store as the sight of a crime during the Christmas season, she feels she has to help solve the crime or her store will be closed a long time. And, so begins the efforts of this Southern amateur sleuth to find out who killed Arnold Ramsey.

The writer, Tama...more
Donna
Book 2 in the Den of Antiquity series. Overall, I found it to be an entertaining story although the ending felt a little abrupt. Compared to the1st book in this series, Abby is less sarcastic, there is more humour, and the story is more focused on the mystery rather than providing background information on Abby's family and colleagues. There is the requisite number of dead bodies and quirky characters to keep the plot moving along, some information about antiques, and references to southern hosp...more
Mary Schildman
Extra twists

"Larceny and Old Lace" was a bit better, but still love all the characters. I think the ending left a few unanswered questions but might find them in the next book. Still a good story.
VJ
Snicker, snicker. This author seems to not think highly of Ohio either. I know most Southern born and bred people resent the Yankees to this day. As a Michigander, I just find it hilarious that most of the obnoxious Yanks described in Southern set novels are either from New York, New Jersey, or Ohio.

Later on, a Michigan man is cheating on his wife. Not exactly morally upright, but not necessarily rude.

Finished the book. There were several laugh worthy and witty lines in the book. I enjoyed this...more
Cindy
Bodies in a closet, crazy friends and customers and a southern belle in need of a sedative. Yep! This series has it all! Can't wait to read the nest in line.
stitchnsnitch
I found this book at the library and thought I'd give it a try. There were some weird editing mistakes and profanity (including the "f-word") peppered the dialogue throughout the whole book.

Another Goodreads member reviewed this story and they explained it as being like cotton candy (with lots of fluff and very little substance). I think that's a very accurate description, and perhaps I'd say that it's cotton candy from a very second-rate fair.
Terri
Another re-read. This one did not get any better with a 2nd read. Written in the 1st person, Abagail Timberlake just is too cute. At least she thinks she is. It would be a better read if the cute/sarcastic/funny remarks were toned down a bit. Instead of liking the woman, I found myself thinking she was just egotistical and while she's almost likeable, she just doesn't make it.
Catrina
Overall, this was a good book. There were times I couldn't put it down, but also times I wanted to skip a few pages. It kept me guessing and had enough twists to keep it interesting. I plan to read some of the other books in this series, because I really enjoyed the writing style, and the plot was very original.
Sandra Strange
sometimes I like Tamar Myers, but sometimes I don't. This one's a don't. It just didn't seem very well written, with stereotypical and predictable characters, dialogue and action. Abigail Timberlake's Den of Antiquity should be interesting because antiques can be, but not this one. a potboiler?
Marie
This was better than the first in the series, particularly as regards the editing (which matters a lot to me). I will read the third and see if it improves enough to make the entire series worthwhile.
AlienDog
Not as good as some of her other books, but interesting anyhow. The ending was pretty lame.
Elise
A fun read, but a book of no substance of any kind whatsoever. Kind of reminds me of cotten candy.
Vera
I like this series, but the later ones are better in my opinion. I enjoyed this though.
Linda
Good entry in the series. At times a few too many characters to keep track of.
Nicole
Funny but not as good as the first one - will continue the series though
Laurel
Jun 03, 2009 Laurel added it
smart writer, smart reader, tongue-in-cheek humor, lots of punning
Teri
Teri is currently reading it
Nita
Nita is currently reading it
Jeri
Jeri added it
Martina Kopel
Martina Kopel marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kat Robinson
Kat Robinson marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Missy
Missy added it
Aug 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Yvonna
Yvonna marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #15)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • The Alpine Menace
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)
  • Design for Murder (Death on Demand, #2)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Smarty Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • Chow Down (Melanie Travis, #13)
  • The Body in the Gallery (Faith Fairchild, #17)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar...more
More about Tamar Myers...
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3) The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)