Start by marking “They Do It With Mirrors” as Want to Read:
They Do It With Mirrors

They Do It With Mirrors (Miss Marple #6)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,661 Ratings  ·  533 Reviews
A man is shot at in a juvenile reform home – but someone else dies…

Miss Marple senses danger when she visits a friend living in a Victorian mansion which doubles as a rehabilitation centre for delinquents. Her fears are confirmed when a youth fires a revolver at the administrator, Lewis Serrocold. Neither is injured. But a mysterious visitor, Mr Gilbrandsen, is less fortun
Mass Market Paperback, 188 pages
Published 1975 by Fontana (first published 1952)

Lotte
Nov 18, 2015 Lotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* 3.5/5 stars! (I listened to this on audiobook.)
Carol.
Mar 28, 2015 Carol. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Miss Marple, Christie completionists
Shelves: mystery, female-lead
Sure, they do it with mirrors. Apparently in 1952, they could even do it by telephone. By which I refer to phoning it in, because this isn’t Christie at her best. It isn’t even Marple at her best. Still, They Do It with Mirrors is a diverting read, a quick Christie satisfier.

We begin with Miss Marple enjoying a few moments with a dear friend from boarding school days. Ruth now lives in America, but her sister lives in England, and after visiting her, Ruth has a suspicion something isn’t right–so
Marija Simić
May 11, 2016 Marija Simić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I spoiled this book by watching serie Miss Marple, so I already knew the murder, and basically almost the entire story (but there were some differences in book, that were changed in serie, small ones), and the entire magic was gone!
But, anyway, I loved that character Edgar Lawson, because he was supposed to be a schizophrenic. However, my absolute favourite was Walter Hudd! This somewhat comes from the magnificent character in the serie (played by Elliot Cowan - note the coffee sc
Fatima kiyan
Feb 06, 2016 Fatima kiyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
دومین کتابی بود که از آگاتا کریستی میخوندم و حتی از "جسدی در کتابخانه" هم پیچیده تر بود و اینبار احساس میکردم که تعداد کاراکتر هاش بیشتر از کتاب قبلی هست و یکم گیج میشدم ولی این پیچیدگی اش و اینکه تا لحظات آخر نمیتونستم حدس بزنم مغز متفکر قتل های داستان کیه هم برای خودش واقعا هیجان انگیز بود و میشه گفت شیفته ی این سبک از کتاب ها شدم و دوست دارم کتاب های دیگه ی این نویسنده رو هم بخونم ...
Ana Vicente
I generally love Agatha Christie, and I tend to read her books in one sitting, but that didn't happen with this one.

It's a Marple novel, and I generally do prefer other detectives (it just frustrates me that part of the solution is based on those comparisons with someone on St. Mary Mead), but I don't think that's enough to explain why this book failed to captivate me the way others have.

I think part of it was that I just didn't care about the characters all that much. I especially didn't care a
Ririn
How ironic. When I have finally settled with myself that it's quite a useless thing to secondguess Agatha Christie's mysteries, it does come as a big surprised that I did guess it right this time. Even though so many smokescreens were thrown in the way, I just can't shake off my suspicion of the suspect.

Does this means that I am getting better at reading the clues? ;-)
Christine Talat
أول رواية أقراها لآجاثا كريستى
النهاية خيبت آمالى كانت سريعة وغير مفهومة الدوافع
Jesus Ismael
I've recently finished this Marple story and I certainly have mixed feelings.
While what I would call the "first part", that is, until the main murder is committed, is long and tedious, the second one moves on faster and the end is really fast paced. I found this aspect reflected in the chapters; being long the first ones and becoming shorter approaching the end. In this sense, I believe that this tale could be told in a fewer pages or even maybe a short story.
On the other hand, there are some as
Miquel Reina
Nov 17, 2015 Miquel Reina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery, crime, thriller
As I said in my review for "Death in the Nile", Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors. They do it with mirrors is a dance of intrigue and mystery that will confuse you with hints, warps and tricks to an ending that the British writer always, always will get you surprised.

Spanish version:
Como ya dije en la mi review para "Asesinato en el Nilo", Agatha Christie es una de mis escritoras favoritas. El truco de los espejos es un baile de intriga y misterio que como su excelente título descri
sarafem
Classic Agatha Christie, a good mindless read that you can easily guess the ending to because you know that Christie picks the only ending that makes no sense, and tries to make it sound like it's utterly obvious. This is what I love about the woman. I like to pretend that the Miss Marple series is actually the memoir of a schizophrenic old maid living in an insane asylum; this is the only way any of it ever makes sense. Did I just piss off every Agatha Christie fan? Oh well...
Bruce
May 11, 2016 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find have more to say about a comparison of They Do It with Mirrors with Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice than a consideration of these works separately. Maybe also because I read one after the other at a time when I really needed them. In both, the stories lead inexorably to the total, delicious defeat of a dirty dog of a villain by a sublimely efficacious hero. Miss Marple quietly breaking through the confusion of a baffling puzzle to let everyone know what's what, and James Bond, depressed ...more
F.R.
Feb 12, 2016 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How does one explain Christie?

There is the truly unexciting prose style, the dreadful exposition-heavy dialogue, the characters that strive even for two-dimensions, and plots which – to quote Raymond Chandler – “only a halfwit could guess” the solution.

And yet when I pick up a copy I don’t end up slamming it into a wall in frustration at its various shortcomings.

I guess that the prose style is just competent enough, and the array of characters (chinless wonders all) archetypal enough for the rea
☯Emily
Miss Marple goes to visit a very old friend and finds herself in the middle of a murder. I was pretty sure who committed the murder and how, but I could not determine the reason for it. As usual, it is a convoluted plot with strong characters and a slight love story with a happy ending (two main characters leave dreary England and move to America!

Sophie Hannah
A very entertaining Miss Marple novel, though not one of the best, perhaps. I did guess the culprit fairly early on. Having said that, the motive is very unusual and excellent - a double layered motive, like in After the Funeral.
Sara Mansi
Jan 26, 2014 Sara Mansi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عندما تنظرين إلى جانب واحد فقط من أمر ما، فإنك لا ترين إلا ذلك الجانب وحده، ولكن الأمور كلها تأخذ مكانها الصحيح تماماً إن استطعت فقط أن تقرري ما هو الواقع وما هو الوهم.
- الآنسة ماربل

"الوهم هو في أعين الجمهور"
تمتمت الآنسة ماربل بشكل مبهم: كالسحرة! أعتقد أن العبارة العامية التي يطلقونها على أعمالهم هي: إنهم يفعلون ذلك باستخدام المرايا... إنه نوع من "خداع المرايا"!

رواية ممتعة ومليئة بالتشويق "خُرااافية".. أريد قراءة المزيد لأجاثا كريستي!
Walaa
رائعة بحق !
مثيرة جدا، حقا انه خداع مرايا، في البداية شككت بشخصية واحدة ،
وبقيت حتى منتصف الاحداث وانا ازيح اي احتمال اخر، ربطت المال بها
فهذا هو الدافع في الغالب ، ولقد كان صحيحا
وقبل النهاية شككت بخمسة اشخاص، استثنيت منهم اثنين، وابقيت على ثلاثة ، من بينهم الابنة ، وفي النهاية
كان القاتل واحد من الاحتمالات، ولكن الاسباب والغموض شتتني قليلا ، مع ان المسرحية في البداية كانت مكتملة، لكن الدافع كان ناقصا
رائعة جدا
Amritha
Mar 10, 2015 Amritha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gryffindor-mmp
I enjoyed Miss Marple in this one. The premise is nothing new, the usual Christie setting, a family where a murder happens and one among the family has done it. Christie manages to keep the suspense going. This is not the best Christie I've read but still, it was an entertaining read.
Nada
Mar 08, 2010 Nada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book at my local library I thought that it would be another mystery with Poirot, but it turned out to be Miss Marple.

I enjoyed the book, it has everything that you need in the murder mystery, crazy and weird family members, money, tension and dislike among the family members. It was a fast paced and very quick read to the end. It keeps you guessing and wondering who the murderer is.

I think that I changed my mind at least five times as to who the murderer was, and at the e
Laurel Young
(vague spoilers hinted) I read They Do It With Mirrors under its alternate title, Murder with Mirrors, and I do think the publisher's fetish for making all Agatha Christie's books have "death" or "murder" in the titles does this novel a disservice. "They do it with mirrors" is the expression from the theatre that Miss Marple evokes several times to mean that a conjuring trick has been done to fool the audience (in this case the witnesses). Murder with Mirrors ruins the allusion (not the illusion ...more
Cata
Apr 11, 2013 Cata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca, 2013
1,5 estrelas

Depois de uma abstinência de quase três meses, por fim voltei a pegar em Agatha Christie com Jogo de Espelhos

Neste livro, Miss Marple continua a ser a mesma idosa adorável e extremamente astuta de sempre... Mas confesso que o livro não me conquistou. Imaginem a seguinte cena: está alguém no deserto a se arrastar pela areia fraco e a morrer de sede, quando de repente encontra um belo óasis. Ao vê-lo, faz um último esforço para chegar à água, mas quando está quase a alcançá-la morre. É
Ahmad Sharabiani
They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6), original publication year 1952
Characters: Miss Jane Marple, Lewis Serrocold, Carrie Louise.
Abstract: Miss Jane Marple helps pal Carrie Louise, invited by worried Sister Ruth to Stonygates, where arrested boys rehabilitate. Foundation trustee Christian is shot dead in the guest room while paranoid Edgar shoots at Carrie's husband nearby. After more deaths, Jane sees illusions. They Do It with Mirrors original Murder with Mirrors.

عنوان یک: «قتل در آینه»،
Swissmiss
Aug 16, 2009 Swissmiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple and yet intensely complex story. The trick and genius is in giving us all the clues right from the beginning, but not revealing their meaning until the end. If you can guess the solution before the last chapter, you should be writing these yourself. No Deux Ex Machina is necessary, no previously-unseen twin brother, no obscure knowledge about poisons that only a true expert would know. Although there are a dizzying array of suspects, each one has their own story and their own thread to ...more
Nicolás Leyton
Que decepción de libro, en serio. Esperaba tanto de esta historia por el titulo pero debo decir que no cumplió ninguna de mis expectativas y eso es demasiado triste teniendo en cuenta el estilo que maneja Agatha y lo aficionado que soy a sus novelas.

Admito que la parte de la verdad y en la que descubren al asesino me tomó totalmente por sorpresa pero es algo a lo que ya estoy acostumbrado con Agatha, siempre el menos sospechoso es el culpable. Así mismo, las razones que tuvo el culpable para ase
meem 1993
Oct 17, 2015 meem 1993 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كالعادة اجاثا رائعة أحب حكاياتها كثيرا صحيح أنني لا أفضل بطولة ماربل، لكن هذه الرواية سريعه جميلة ليست من أروع ما كتبته اجاثا لكنها ممتعة ويمكن وصفها كجريمة بسيطة أبسط مما تبدو عليه في الواقع وأعتبر أن اجاثا قد تركت لنا تلميحا أو اثنين هذه المرة لكنها انتهجت التضليل المحبب والممتع فقدمت لنا مفاجأة ساحقة في النهاية عن شخصية أخرى غير القاتل والضحية.

التعليق في الأسفل لمن أنهى الرواية فقد لأن فيها إفشاء لنهايتها :

تمسكت بفكرة تورط السيد لويس و لكنني ضللت بفكرة تورط جينا في بعض الصفحات غير أن الكيفية
Lora
Jul 11, 2014 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable murder mystery where Miss Marple works her way through the usual evidence, deceit, reasoning, feelings, and so on. Many of the other characters are working their way through it as well, and it becomes a bit of a race to see who exactly figures it all out. I love this character of Christie's most of all. Miss Marple is steady, humorous, and not given to relativism, only compassion. You might say that I enjoy her company.
Kate
My review of this book is in the form of a poem.

Dame Agatha
So imaginative
And yet
You use the N word
And talk about "queers,"
Which disappoints me, although I know
You wrote in an earlier time.

Furthermore
The denouement of
"They Do It with Mirrors"
Was, shall we say,
Implausible.

This is
Not one of your best, Ags.
Kitten the Claire
Feb 12, 2014 Kitten the Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first taste of Agatha Christie in book form (as I've seen a few of the shows based on her books).

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, to the extent I read it in one day, which I haven't done in a very long time.

Her writing style is charming but simple. Makes for a very enjoyable read.
Vanessa Pätzold
Feb 21, 2016 Vanessa Pätzold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Were all mad, dear lady [...] Thats the secret of existence. Were all a little mad."
I definitely enjoyed reading this novel. Some might say it isnt exactly the best of dear Agatha Christies works or not of Miss Marples cases either. Well, it might not be on her top three list, but its still worth reading.
Starting with Miss Marple talking to an old friend who is worried about her sister, this novel turns into an investigative story when Miss Marple follows Ruths worries and visits Carrie Louise.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Agatha Christie tale featuring June Whitfield as Miss Marpl.
Paula
Apr 23, 2015 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a Miss Marple case and so far I have to say I like Poirot much better. This definitely isn't one of Christie's best works - it was pretty obvious from the very beginning who the murderer was and all the characters seemed like a bunch of rather dull half-wits, especially in comparison with other Christie books that I've read recently where the characters and their backstories fascinated me more than the actual question of whodunit? However, I'm still looking forward ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Correct info 2 13 Mar 11, 2016 11:14PM
Agatha Christie L...: April 2015 - They Do It with Mirrors 20 59 Oct 01, 2015 12:47PM
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • The Benevent Treasure (Miss Silver, #26)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

“People who can be very good can be very bad too.” 30 likes