Start by marking “From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming” as Want to Read:
From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

Barry Black credits his strong spiritual beginnings to his mother's prayer at her baptism when she asked God to bless the child within her. Using vignettes and illustrations from family, education, religion, the military, and politics, Black presents a determined and unyielding faith in his Creator. His confidence in God's control of his life led not only to amazing achiev ...more
Published August 20th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about From the Hood to the Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Hood to the Hill

Adrian
Jun 19, 2016 Adrian rated it it was amazing
The life and advice of Barry C Black the current 62nd chaplain of the U.S. Senate (2016). The book is a mixture of autobiography and lessons on spirituality, growth, and perseverance. Barry Black grew up in a crime-ridden neighborhood in Baltimore, but after some guidance by his Mother and mentors along the way he went off to college and later joined the navy. He spoke about his struggles in the navy as one of the few African Americans chaplains.

Overall, I enjoyed each chapter as they were succ
Karen
Nov 15, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
I just got this from the library so when I finish The Friday Night Knitting Club, this is next!

Mary
Feb 25, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
This is not so much an autobiography as it is sermonettes on the subject Lessons I Have Learned. It's good, though, because of the content. Rev. Barry Black has led a very intentional, Bible-based, God-centered life. He shares what he learned as a kid in a tough neighborhood of Baltimore, through his education in ministry at small colleges, mission work in Peru, to his career in the Navy (2 star Admiral) and on to his current job as Chaplain to the US Senate. There isn't much about the things t ...more
Vannessa Anderson
Apr 09, 2013 Vannessa Anderson rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, barry-c-black
The three boys—likely candidates for incarceration or early death. The five girls—likely candidates for unwed pregnancies and welfare. And with a sigh, she closes the folder and puts it away. This is what the social worker, Miss Jenkins, wrote on the “Predictor” sheet.

What prompted me to buy the book were its title and its price, $1.00. Since I purchase many of my non-fiction books from thrift shops or second hand books stores, I don’t always read the dust jacket but, had I read the dust jacket
Jon Robinson
Feb 03, 2015 Jon Robinson rated it liked it
Inspiring story of Overcoming.
Carolyn
Aug 26, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A very intriguing book by the 62nd CChaplin of the United States Senate.
David
Apr 20, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I don't read that many biographies, and even fewer autobiographies.

I heard about this book when Chaplain Barry Black was interviewed on the radio. I went out and purchased the book the same day. It is a very good read. It explains how Chaplain Black went from the streets of Baltimore, to become a Two-Star Admiral in the Navy Chaplain Corps.

Along the way he explained how his faith has supported him through his career, and how he helped other people.
Judy Cox
Nov 20, 2008 Judy Cox rated it did not like it
Totally uninspiring. The only thing remarkable about this book is the relationship the author feels he has with God. He makes no decision without praying about it and feels that God is leading him in every little detail and aspect of his life - down to whether or not he should shave his head!
Divamommy
I did not finish this book; therefore, no rating will be issued. I found it more academic than autobiographical.
John
Oct 24, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those with ministerial desires (all believers!)
What an amazing testimony! This book is also packed with scripture based helps, suggestions, and tips for not just getting through life, but for excelling in whatever plan God has set out for you. Just wish I had the memory of Chaplain Black to remember it all!
Mmeersma
Jan 11, 2014 Mmeersma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
Great book. Really makes you think
Stanley Turner
Nov 06, 2013 Stanley Turner rated it liked it
Several reviewers thought Black was holding something back, and I tend to agree with them. I kept wanting more information on his life in some areas and it was lacking. Not the best autobiography I have read, but by far not the worst either...
Lowell AfdahlRice
Feb 17, 2010 Lowell AfdahlRice rated it really liked it
I think I liked this better than Cornel West's memoir in that it's more interesting and readable; although, it gets a little preachy at times. But after all, the guy is a minister.
Tony
Oct 11, 2007 Tony rated it it was ok
Black is a very good speaker but not such a good writer. i felt he was holding back a little to much.
Brian Nyamwange
Brian Nyamwange marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Andrea Drysdale
Andrea Drysdale marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Murphy
Murphy added it
Jun 02, 2016
Phil Kline
Phil Kline marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
katherine mccray
katherine mccray rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Gerald Padmore
Gerald Padmore rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Latasha Turner
Latasha Turner marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Barry C. Black was born in Baltimore, MD on November 1, 1948. After serving as a chaplain of the US navy for over 27 years, he was elected to the position of 62nd Chaplain of the US Senate on June 27, 2003. He is the first African-American and the first Seventh-day Adventist to hold this office.
He has written two books: his autobiography From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming , and
More about Barry C. Black...