Start by marking “From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming” as Want to Read:
From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

Barry Black credits his strong spiritual beginnings to his mother's prayer at her baptism when she asked God to bless the child within her. Using vignettes and illustrations from family, education, religion, the military, and politics, Black presents a determined and unyielding faith in his Creator. His confidence in God's control of his life led not only to amazing achiev ...more
Published August 20th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about From the Hood to the Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Hood to the Hill

Karen
Nov 15, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
I just got this from the library so when I finish The Friday Night Knitting Club, this is next!

Adrian
Jun 19, 2016 Adrian rated it it was amazing
The life and advice of Barry C Black the current 62nd chaplain of the U.S. Senate (2016). The book is a mixture of autobiography and lessons on spirituality, growth, and perseverance. Barry Black grew up in a crime-ridden neighborhood in Baltimore, but after some guidance by his Mother and mentors along the way he went off to college and later joined the navy. He spoke about his struggles in the navy as one of the few African Americans chaplains.

Overall, I enjoyed each chapter as they were succ
Mary
Feb 25, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
This is not so much an autobiography as it is sermonettes on the subject Lessons I Have Learned. It's good, though, because of the content. Rev. Barry Black has led a very intentional, Bible-based, God-centered life. He shares what he learned as a kid in a tough neighborhood of Baltimore, through his education in ministry at small colleges, mission work in Peru, to his career in the Navy (2 star Admiral) and on to his current job as Chaplain to the US Senate. There isn't much about the things t ...more
Vannessa Anderson
Apr 09, 2013 Vannessa Anderson rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, barry-c-black
The three boys—likely candidates for incarceration or early death. The five girls—likely candidates for unwed pregnancies and welfare. And with a sigh, she closes the folder and puts it away. This is what the social worker, Miss Jenkins, wrote on the “Predictor” sheet.

What prompted me to buy the book were its title and its price, $1.00. Since I purchase many of my non-fiction books from thrift shops or second hand books stores, I don’t always read the dust jacket but, had I read the dust jacket
David
Apr 20, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I don't read that many biographies, and even fewer autobiographies.

I heard about this book when Chaplain Barry Black was interviewed on the radio. I went out and purchased the book the same day. It is a very good read. It explains how Chaplain Black went from the streets of Baltimore, to become a Two-Star Admiral in the Navy Chaplain Corps.

Along the way he explained how his faith has supported him through his career, and how he helped other people.
Stanley Turner
Nov 06, 2013 Stanley Turner rated it liked it
Several reviewers thought Black was holding something back, and I tend to agree with them. I kept wanting more information on his life in some areas and it was lacking. Not the best autobiography I have read, but by far not the worst either...
John
Oct 24, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those with ministerial desires (all believers!)
What an amazing testimony! This book is also packed with scripture based helps, suggestions, and tips for not just getting through life, but for excelling in whatever plan God has set out for you. Just wish I had the memory of Chaplain Black to remember it all!
Judy Cox
Nov 20, 2008 Judy Cox rated it did not like it
Totally uninspiring. The only thing remarkable about this book is the relationship the author feels he has with God. He makes no decision without praying about it and feels that God is leading him in every little detail and aspect of his life - down to whether or not he should shave his head!
Lowell AfdahlRice
Feb 17, 2010 Lowell AfdahlRice rated it really liked it
I think I liked this better than Cornel West's memoir in that it's more interesting and readable; although, it gets a little preachy at times. But after all, the guy is a minister.
Divamommy
I did not finish this book; therefore, no rating will be issued. I found it more academic than autobiographical.
Tony
Oct 11, 2007 Tony rated it it was ok
Black is a very good speaker but not such a good writer. i felt he was holding back a little to much.
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Carrie Johnson
Carrie Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Art
Art rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Marjorie Pendleton
Marjorie Pendleton rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Amy Woolridge-harris
Amy Woolridge-harris rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Sue Mason
Sue Mason rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Janice Almond
Janice Almond rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Chris Youngblood
Chris Youngblood rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2010
Alicemassimi
Alicemassimi rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Rebecca Durichek
Rebecca Durichek rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Melvin Wilson
Melvin Wilson rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Naya Wilson
Naya Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Ken Gordon
Ken Gordon rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Brandy Smith
Brandy Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Barry C. Black was born in Baltimore, MD on November 1, 1948. After serving as a chaplain of the US navy for over 27 years, he was elected to the position of 62nd Chaplain of the US Senate on June 27, 2003. He is the first African-American and the first Seventh-day Adventist to hold this office.
He has written two books: his autobiography From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming , and
More about Barry C. Black...