Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans

Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,235 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In this collection of "lost" stories, L.M. Montgomery presents charming and poignant tales of orphans and children brought up by unloving families but who eventually find warmth and caring in homes of their own. An enchanting collection of 19 stories never before published in the U.S.
Published April 24th 1993 by Starfire (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Akin to Anne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akin to Anne

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryEmily's Quest by L.M. MontgomeryAnne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery
Anne and Friends
29th out of 48 books — 30 voters
The Orphan Factory by James MorcanThe Ninth Orphan by James MorcanAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Orphan Uprising by James MorcanThe Orphan Trilogy by James Morcan
Best Books About Orphans
24th out of 58 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Brand
When reading this collection of stories it is important to remember that they were never intended to be read together. They were all written for publication in magazines and newspapers, often months or years apart. Although I enjoyed reading 'Akin to Anne', I have to admit that perhaps grouping them together by theme might not have been the best idea. Reading the same plot over and over again can be tiresome, so I'm quite glad that I read a different story or two each day for a fortnight. There...more
Elinor  Loredan
I love this collection! Even though each story's theme is basically the same: virtue rewarded and orphans meeting long-lost relatives or relative's friends by chance and being recognized by them as resembling family members.

But I don't find the stories repetitive. Each one has a unique set of characters, whose thoughts and dialogues are very enjoyable and even inspiring. There isn't one story I dislike, though some are more forgettable than others.

My favorites are...

Charlotte's Quest

Marcella's...more
Tarissa
In this delightful collection of short stories, you'll certainly find some treasures. This was my first time to read some of L.M. Montgomery's short stories, and I truly enjoyed them.

The particular selection in "Akin to Anne" is put together by Rea Wilmshurst. She located many of Montgomery's short tales that regard other orphans (just like our dear Anne Shirley), from newspaper and magazine publications. All were originally published between 1900 and 1933.

All the tales included in "Akin to Ann...more
Mar 20, 2014 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I'd actually give this closer to 3.75 stars. Mostly because I read this as an adult and I think if I'd read it as a child (as is intended) I would have found the stories more charming and less repetitive.

Akin to Anne is a collection of tales about orphans that were published in various magazines and journals and collected in this book after L.M. Montgomery's death. Although they lack the wit and originality of Montgomery's full-length novels when read together, there are several gems within this...more
Dana
A wonderful collection of stories about orphans living through tragedy and eventually finding good homes and someone that loves them. Well written with captivating characters. There’s no way you can’t feel the desperation and longing of each character; you really see the world through their eyes and are transported to their reality.

I found this a difficult read because it is so emotionally taxing. Orphans are a weak spot of mine and I hate to hear of children being unjustly mistreated. Therefore...more
Sabrina
Charlotte’s Quest: story about a little girl sent to live with her relations after her Father decides he wants to spend a couple of year’s mountain climbing. Charlotte is not happy in this house because it is so alive; loud, active and crowded. By no means a bad house, just too much for Charlotte, who likes quiet and solitude. Charlotte takes a day to go find a Mom for herself.

Marcella’s Reward: Marcella is such a sweet older sister who is very concerned about her younger sister’s illness. In a...more
Elizabeth S
As with most short story collections, some are much better than others. And as with many other short story collections, some stories would be better in isolation so you don't notice how a number of plot elements are almost the same as another story.

My favorite story was the first one, about a little girl whose mother is dead, so she decides to go to the village witch to ask for a new mother. Cute, clever, and fun. Many of the stories show virtue being well rewarded, which I think we need more ex...more
Kristyn
I originally purchased this book in Prince Edward Island while on vacation in 1990 (age 9!) and immediately lost myself in these short stories of kismet and happenstance! A personal favorite is 'a shirtwaist for Penelope' , but, it is extremely hard to pick one! Get this book to sate your inner awkward preteen angst ("nobody loves me" days) or get it for an 8-14 year old bookworm!
Delicious Strawberry
If you're a LM Montgomery enthusiast, then you will want to check this book out. If you've never read LM Montgomery, then avoid this book. Some of the stories are just not that good, and many have cheesy/happy endings. Some of the endings are so convenient and happy that you kind of want to gag. The collection is nothing special on its own, really. It's kinda like a collection of 'scribbles' from the mind of an author who came up with many good stories (Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, T...more
Caroline
Akin to Anne is a collection of early published stories by the creator of Anne of Green Gables.
The stories in Akin Anne are unmistakably early work. Each one follows the same formulaic plot: Poor Orphan is plucky, yet miserable in a house with no love. Orphan does a good deed. Orphan is reunited with a long-lost family member.
The selections are charming in their own way, but are not nearly as sophisticated as her later short stories collected in Chronicles of Avonlea, and Further Chronicles of...more
Becky
Found a box of my old books in the garage. So I am currently re-reading the books I loved when I was a child. Maybe it's an effort to reclaim my youth or maybe it's just an effort to remember the girl I once was so I can better relate to my own children. However, I'm not sure what I really loved about this book...possibly the happy endings. It is nauseatingly cheesy! I know the short stories compiled here were originally published in a number of different magazines, but publishing them all toget...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
Nancy
I know the short stories compiled here were originally published in a number of different magazines, but reading them all at once made the stories seem recycled. Orphan has a lonely and hard life and by some amazing coincidence bumps into the only blood relative they have in the entire world (long lost, naturally). I loved the Anne of Green Gables series, but found the stories here seemed to be the same story over and over with just the names changed.
Elizabeth
I was sick to death of the same stories again and again, but the last story in this book brought tears to my eyes.

After reading further, I discovered that these shorts were published years apart in various different publications, and honestly, I could have handled them much better in that form. But gathered together like this, it makes it difficult to stomach the sameness.

That being said, that very last story saved the book for me.
Trudy Pomerantz
Gentle read that is great to fall to sleep by.
happyd
I really enjoy L.M. Montgomery and this collection of short stories were great.

That being said, because the stories were brought together based on theme I found that a lot of the stories ended up being very similar and formulaic. .

.. but these were stories that Montgomery published in different magazines/publications and a girl had to make a living!
Allison
Great little collection of stories set (where else) on P.E.I. with happy endings of orphans finding family (long lost or new). However, for me, it was just a little too much at once. Reading one of the short stories maybe every other week would have been much more enjoyabe. They just weren't meant to be read all at once.
Carrie
Akin to Anne is filled with many of the same stories that can be found in Montgomery's collection of short stories from various years (which can be downloaded for free from Amazon). There are, however, a few stories I hadn't read before in this book, and it's a lovely addition to any bookshelf.
Miko O.
I read this in high school at the Piqua Library, and I hadn't seen a copy anywhere since. I finally ordered it from a used book site. The "Oh, you're the daughter of my half-sibling I lost touch with!" formula gets a little old, but I love the story "Charlotte's Ladies."
Sheri-lee
I would have liked it better if every short story was not solved by discovering a long lost half-brother or half-sister. Each story on it's own is a nice little story you'd like to read to your children, but 19 in a row is, shall we say, predictable. Ahem.
Linda
If I remember right, the heroines had a bit of sameness to them, but the nature descriptions and variety of personalities were still a draw. Was glad to read it, and then pass it on.
MMG
If you like the plot of a lonely orphan finding a warm/happy home and love at the end then you'll never tire of Lucy Maud's many books with the exact same plot.
I loved these stories as a child--even more than the other books by this author. I think if I went back and read it now that I would probably cringe at the cheesiness.
Ariana
Basic plot line of every story in this book: Sad orphan finds a connection that they didn't know about until now and lives happily ever after.
Linda Cee
My favorite book of short stories, these are more rereadable then the Green gables books and every single one makes me laugh and cry!
Eileen
Usually I don't care for short stories. These all had a somewhat similar theme, that it got to be a bit much by the end.
Same review for all of these books - I loved LM Montgomery's short story collections as a young girl. I read several of them :)
Heather
I love all LM.Montgomery's collections of short stories, and am happy to add this to my collection. I will be reading this again.
Katherine P
A collection of sweet old fashioned stories involving people finding long lost families or at least a place to belong.
Jillian
You read one story, you've read them all...and yet I read all of them and thought they were kinda sweet
  • The Journey Begins (Road to Avonlea, #1)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Kate's Choice
  • Heidi's Children
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • Mandie and the Singing Chalet (Mandie, 17)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911...more
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)

“After all, it was nice to be loved than to be rich and admired and famous.” 6 likes
“Next to a mother she wanted a quiet place where she could be alone when she wanted to be; to listen to the wind telling her strange tales, or hold the big spotted shell that murmured of the sea to her ear, or talk to the roses in the garden.” 5 likes