Start by marking “Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans” as Want to Read:
Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans

Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,418 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In this collection of "lost" stories, L.M. Montgomery presents charming and poignant tales of orphans and children brought up by unloving families but who eventually find warmth and caring in homes of their own. An enchanting collection of 19 stories never before published in the U.S.
Published April 24th 1993 by Starfire (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Akin to Anne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akin to Anne

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryEmily's Quest by L.M. MontgomeryEmily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
Anne and Friends
28th out of 113 books — 47 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Books About Orphans
30th out of 66 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Although I have never enjoyed all of the short tales featured in Akin to Anne equally, I do always love, love, love rereading this collection of sweet and tenderly touching, sometimes perhaps even verging on the maudlin short stories (and often engage in a reread when I am feeling down and need comforting and cheer). While I personally simply adore this book, I can and do understand and appreciate why some readers, and even L.M. Montgomery fans, consider especially this very collection of tales ...more
Rachel Brand
When reading this collection of stories it is important to remember that they were never intended to be read together. They were all written for publication in magazines and newspapers, often months or years apart. Although I enjoyed reading 'Akin to Anne', I have to admit that perhaps grouping them together by theme might not have been the best idea. Reading the same plot over and over again can be tiresome, so I'm quite glad that I read a different story or two each day for a fortnight. There ...more
Elinor  Loredan
Nov 15, 2011 Elinor Loredan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery, 2011
I love this collection! Even though each story's theme is basically the same: virtue rewarded and orphans meeting long-lost relatives or relative's friends by chance and being recognized by them as resembling family members.

But I don't find the stories repetitive. Each one has a unique set of characters, whose thoughts and dialogues are very enjoyable and even inspiring. There isn't one story I dislike, though some are more forgettable than others.

My favorites are...

Charlotte's Quest

Krissy Aleman
3.5 stars, really. This isn't a bad book by any means. It's a perfect read for a time in my life when everything is too hectic for a full novel. The stories are short and sweet and lovely. I didn't adore it but it's a good book.
Jul 17, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love all LM.Montgomery's collections of short stories, and am happy to add this to my collection. I will be reading this again.
Linda Cee
Oct 14, 2011 Linda Cee rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of short stories, these are more rereadable then the Green gables books and every single one makes me laugh and cry!
Shawn Ruth
Jun 17, 2015 Shawn Ruth rated it liked it
Darling short stories all centered around lost souls young and old who find love and family.
May 01, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
formulaic but enjoyable, if you like predictable, heartwarming LMM stories (clearly, i do).
Aug 17, 2016 Lauri rated it liked it
Read it. Know they were all orphans, but I don't remember anything else.
Jul 23, 2016 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this delightful collection of short stories, you'll certainly find some treasures. This was my first time to read some of L.M. Montgomery's short stories, and I truly enjoyed them.

The particular selection in "Akin to Anne" is put together by Rea Wilmshurst. She located many of Montgomery's short tales that regard other orphans (just like our dear Anne Shirley), from newspaper and magazine publications. All were originally published between 1900 and 1933.

All the tales included in "Akin to Ann
Mar 20, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'd actually give this closer to 3.75 stars. Mostly because I read this as an adult and I think if I'd read it as a child (as is intended) I would have found the stories more charming and less repetitive.

Akin to Anne is a collection of tales about orphans that were published in various magazines and journals and collected in this book after L.M. Montgomery's death. Although they lack the wit and originality of Montgomery's full-length novels when read together, there are several gems within this
Mar 01, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of stories about orphans living through tragedy and eventually finding good homes and someone that loves them. Well written with captivating characters. There’s no way you can’t feel the desperation and longing of each character; you really see the world through their eyes and are transported to their reality.

I found this a difficult read because it is so emotionally taxing. Orphans are a weak spot of mine and I hate to hear of children being unjustly mistreated. Therefore
Charlotte’s Quest: story about a little girl sent to live with her relations after her Father decides he wants to spend a couple of year’s mountain climbing. Charlotte is not happy in this house because it is so alive; loud, active and crowded. By no means a bad house, just too much for Charlotte, who likes quiet and solitude. Charlotte takes a day to go find a Mom for herself.

Marcella’s Reward: Marcella is such a sweet older sister who is very concerned about her younger sister’s illness. In a

Beautiful short stories written by the exceptional good author L. M. Montgomery. The places she describes are beautiful and yet so familiar. All her characters, except for one, are kindred spirits. They are all nice, lonely fellows with honest, big hearts, who go thru hard times in their lives until they find happiness. Just like our dear Anne had. On the negative side, all these stories follow the same pattern: poor orphan who makes some mischief, until he/she has feelings of remorse, comes
Elizabeth S
Oct 14, 2008 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: n-misc-fiction
As with most short story collections, some are much better than others. And as with many other short story collections, some stories would be better in isolation so you don't notice how a number of plot elements are almost the same as another story.

My favorite story was the first one, about a little girl whose mother is dead, so she decides to go to the village witch to ask for a new mother. Cute, clever, and fun. Many of the stories show virtue being well rewarded, which I think we need more ex
Delicious Strawberry
Nov 12, 2012 Delicious Strawberry rated it liked it
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
If you're a LM Montgomery enthusiast, then you will want to check this book out. If you've never read LM Montgomery, then avoid this book. Some of the stories are just not that good, and many have cheesy/happy endings. Some of the endings are so convenient and happy that you kind of want to gag. The collection is nothing special on its own, really. It's kinda like a collection of 'scribbles' from the mind of an author who came up with many good stories (Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, T ...more
Akin to Anne is a collection of early published stories by the creator of Anne of Green Gables.
The stories in Akin Anne are unmistakably early work. Each one follows the same formulaic plot: Poor Orphan is plucky, yet miserable in a house with no love. Orphan does a good deed. Orphan is reunited with a long-lost family member.
The selections are charming in their own way, but are not nearly as sophisticated as her later short stories collected in Chronicles of Avonlea, and Further Chronicles of
Aug 30, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok
Found a box of my old books in the garage. So I am currently re-reading the books I loved when I was a child. Maybe it's an effort to reclaim my youth or maybe it's just an effort to remember the girl I once was so I can better relate to my own children. However, I'm not sure what I really loved about this book...possibly the happy endings. It is nauseatingly cheesy! I know the short stories compiled here were originally published in a number of different magazines, but publishing them all toget ...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
“After all, it was nice to be loved than to be rich and admired and famous.”

I, alas, did not rate each story on its own. Each of these story had Montgomery's flowery writing style which I just adore. The main characters always quirky and adorable. I don't really care that Montgomery sometimes seems like she's recycling some character traits because the writing is beautiful. The stories were short and sweet. This book was a nice quick read.
Jul 11, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I was sick to death of the same stories again and again, but the last story in this book brought tears to my eyes.

After reading further, I discovered that these shorts were published years apart in various different publications, and honestly, I could have handled them much better in that form. But gathered together like this, it makes it difficult to stomach the sameness.

That being said, that very last story saved the book for me.
Jun 16, 2010 Nancy rated it it was ok
I know the short stories compiled here were originally published in a number of different magazines, but reading them all at once made the stories seem recycled. Orphan has a lonely and hard life and by some amazing coincidence bumps into the only blood relative they have in the entire world (long lost, naturally). I loved the Anne of Green Gables series, but found the stories here seemed to be the same story over and over with just the names changed.
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
Yep, still on a L.M. Montgomery kick. This is a collection of her short stories, or boilerplates. The stories, of course, all had more than happy endings and fantastic resolutions. But I enjoyed it as some light reading anyway. It was nice to read something other than her novels (which I enjoy as well).
Apr 04, 2014 Kristyn rated it it was amazing
I originally purchased this book in Prince Edward Island while on vacation in 1990 (age 9!) and immediately lost myself in these short stories of kismet and happenstance! A personal favorite is 'a shirtwaist for Penelope' , but, it is extremely hard to pick one! Get this book to sate your inner awkward preteen angst ("nobody loves me" days) or get it for an 8-14 year old bookworm!
Nov 05, 2008 happyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy L.M. Montgomery and this collection of short stories were great.

That being said, because the stories were brought together based on theme I found that a lot of the stories ended up being very similar and formulaic. .

.. but these were stories that Montgomery published in different magazines/publications and a girl had to make a living!
T. Finley
When taken individually, all of the stories in this book have their own charm. My favorite of the group was Charlotte's Quest. However as a collection, the stories get rather repetitive.
Did I like it? Some of it.
Would I reread it? Maybe individual stories, not all in one sitting.
Would I recommend it? Not sure.
Some of these stories are as touching as if each one had been lengthened into separate novels, and even more effective, in my humble opinion, to get across in fewer words a potent and touching story. Amongst my favourites of Montgomery's writings! I am glad I read this book. . . It reminds me of the beloved Anne. . . I was deeply touched by this book and very much inspired as well!
Great little collection of stories set (where else) on P.E.I. with happy endings of orphans finding family (long lost or new). However, for me, it was just a little too much at once. Reading one of the short stories maybe every other week would have been much more enjoyabe. They just weren't meant to be read all at once.
Feb 03, 2013 C.G.Koens rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-book-list
Akin to Anne is filled with many of the same stories that can be found in Montgomery's collection of short stories from various years (which can be downloaded for free from Amazon). There are, however, a few stories I hadn't read before in this book, and it's a lovely addition to any bookshelf.
Jun 13, 2015 Crys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, light read. Lots of short stories. I found I had to keep starting other books as I read this one because all the stories were pretty much the same... Orphaned child, meets a long-lost relative or a benefactor through a twist of fate or accident.
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • Kate's Choice
  • Hidden Rainbow
  • Booky: A trilogy
  • The Belonging Place
  • Mandie and the Singing Chalet (Mandie, 17)
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • L.M. Montgomery
  • How I Spent My Summer Holidays
  • A Walk Out of the World
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

“After all, it was nice to be loved than to be rich and admired and famous.” 8 likes
“Next to a mother she wanted a quiet place where she could be alone when she wanted to be; to listen to the wind telling her strange tales, or hold the big spotted shell that murmured of the sea to her ear, or talk to the roses in the garden.” 7 likes