Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free

Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This is a biography of Paul by one of the foremost Pauline scholars of our time. While Bruces primary concern is to portray the life of the apostle Paul, he also examines the main themes of Pauls thought, set in their historical background and illustrated from his letters.
Published January 1st 2000 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published December 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul

Scott Ray
This is a wonderful in-debth look at the Apostle Paul. It goes through his theology and his life folding them together in to a very well rounded look at him. Using his life as the framework...you bring in the letters at the times he would have written them. Then goes deep into the subjects that he writes about in each of the letters.

Also a very convicting book in that we see what someone who is completely sold out is willing to endure and do for the sake of the Gospel.
Preston
I enjoyed reading this one. Bruce covers the life of Paul from a historical viewpoint as can be determined from the pages of the Bible. Interspersed throughout the book are reviews of the letters attributed to Paul. He not only sets forth his own views but presents other arguments by scholars who do not share his opinions. Very good introduction to the life and works of Paul.
David
A classic for any Pastor reading or studying Pauline Epistles. I read it in1985, and have gone back to it time and time again in my continuing studies of the PaulineEpistles
Al
Still the best single volume book on the apostle Paul in the English language.
Karen
In this classic 1977 work, F. F. Bruce, a professor at the University of Manchester in England, conducts a magisterial tour through the life of the Apostle Paul. Bruce helpfully sets the stage for the reader by describing the political and social milieux of the Roman Empire of the first century CE, with specific attention to the Greek-speaking lands of the Hellenistic world, where Paul himself lived. Bruce then walks through Paul's life as recorded in the book of Acts. He offers detailed explora...more
Sherrie
So...when you write a book, particularly a historical book, it is very important to make it clear whether this is a book for laymen or a book for serious students of the subject. This book does not do that AT ALL. It goes back and forth between explaining the simplest of concepts in details and leaving very complex ideas open ended. There are several places where the author mentions Latin or Greek words without giving any sort of definition for them which makes the context of the sentence incomp...more
Ben
F. F. Bruce is an amazing author. He blends theology, history, culture, and so many other aspects in such a way that one can easily begin to see the story behind the story of the Apostle Paul. His writing style is easy to follow, his language and logic are straightforward, and his research is excellent.

If you are interested in learning more about Scripture, the spread of the early church and Christianity, grab your Bible, this book, and a map, and get ready to have your understanding of Acts an...more
Frank
A traditional, conservative overview of the life and letters of the Apostle Paul. Bruce was a great scholar and this book, characterized by what you might call sanctified precision, contains a good number of deep, helpful observations.

One downside: Many of the chapters in this book were originally published as articles in journals and magazines. It reads much like the conglomaration that it is.

This is the textbook for "Life of Paul," a course I teach at Amarillo College in Amarillo, Texas.
Brent McCulley
F.F. Bruce's magnum opus, Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free is the most in depth and scholastic historiographical and biographical account of St. Paul. Running in a chronological order, Bruce covers Pauline theology, to his historical missionary work. He covers his background to his philosophical thought process. This book as opened my eyes on some very interesting issues, and has blessed me in numerous ways. A must read.

Brent McCulley (11/26/13)
Brett
This engaging book has helped me to think about the life of Paul in a way that illuminate the stories behind his apostolic works.

When reading the New Testament works of Paul I often think of them in relation to how they apply to me and to the Church. However, this book has helped me see more clearly how they applied to the original audience and what necessitated their writing.
Eric
Phenomenal look at the life and thought of the apostle Paul. Any student of Paul would do well to read this book. Bruce's scholarship and engaging style are unmatched as he examines all the issues and data regarding Paul, reconstructing the apostle's life in an easy-to-follow way as well as reconstructing the thought of the mighty evangelist to the Gentiles
Kari
Kind of overwhelming in terms of information presented. It represents the culmination of his life's work and research. Either take the time to appreciate it or read it fast and just get the big stuff. Either way it is a great reference for Pauline theology.
Austin Mcgrath
All I can say about this book is it is a must read. This is a great chronological biography on the Apostle Paul, ranging from his travels, letters, martyrdom, before his conversion. This book has it all, and did a great job on putting it together.
Ken Garrett
A classic, must-read work on the life of Paul, with more-than-adequate treatment of the particular historical-geographical-cultural circumstances of the cities and regions associated with Paul in the NT. Useful reference tool.
Erik Ronningen
Interesting, not often I think about Paul in such a scholarly manner. Gives one a great appreciation for his unrelenting care and concern for those he led.
Don
A great reference by one of the greatest Biblical scholars of recent history. I have always enjoyed FF Bruce's insightful writings.
Hlu
I really like this book. Great insight on Paul's life, his letters and the relationship between the gentile church and the Jewish church.
Katie Freeman
Lots of great information...however, lots of information. Definitely for someone who is really interested in this type of read.
Thomas Kinsfather
Bruce discusses Paul's life, theology, culture, and writings in great length. Technical and scholarly.
Chris Ong
very thorough and informative book. can't put it down ... there's so much background on Paul and his books.
Brian Chilton
Great book. Somewhat wordy in parts. Excellent resource for those studying the life of Paul.
Jim
Outstanding account of the life and background of Saul of Tarsus... Paul the Apostle!
Tracy
Aug 12, 2012 Tracy added it
Shelves: apostle-paul
Wonderful! F.F. Bruce is one of my favorite authors and scholars.
Sam Harless
This guy is so dense, I feel so dumb after reading a bit of it.
Edem Morny
Very balanced look at Paul from a historical point of view.
Jimmy
An excellent study of Paul and his writings.
Blake Reas
Classic book on the Apostle Paul.
Jeff Boettcher
Great book on the theology of Paul.
Josh Shelton
This book was outstanding!
Evan Knies
Bruce is gold!
  • A Theology of the New Testament
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • Greek New Testament
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
  • What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity?
  • Commentary on Romans
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
Frederick Fyvie Bruce FBA (12 October 1910 – 11 September 1990) was a Biblical scholar who supported the historical reliability of the New Testament. His first book, New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? (1943), was voted by the American evangelical periodical Christianity Today in 2006 as one of the top 50 books "which had shaped evangelicals".
More about F.F. Bruce...
The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? Canon of Scripture New Testament History The Book of the Acts, Revised The Epistle to the Hebrews

“What this letter does is bring us into an atmosphere in which the institution could only wilt and die. The Letter to Philemon” 0 likes