Start by marking “Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels” as Want to Read:
Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels

Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels (Thunderbolts #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Thunderbolts' wild ride continues as Thunderbolts Mountain is being used as temporary incarceration for captured superhuman combatants. With so many super-powered people in one place, how can things possibly go wrong? Plus: Songbird. Moonstone. The two longest-serving members of the Thunderbolts, but that's practically all they have in common. Songbird has vowed not to ...more
Published November 26th 2008 by Marvel Comics (first published August 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderbolts, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderbolts, Vol. 2

Holden Attradies
First off the art work was stellar. The coloring worked perfect with the artist, the detail in the faces really standing out. I especially appreciated this because to often the art in superhero comics is purely defined by rippling muscles and T&A. I always appreciate art in this medium that draws more attention to the character aspect of the characters. And as others have said Mike Deodato's art work, which is very dark and shadowy works very well in this story and adds a lot to the feeling ...more
Kurt
This is my favorite Thunderbolts story ever. Ellis and Deodato spent their first arc establishing the new team, taking a new direction for the team concept. Now the various villains have returned to their mountain headquarters to regroup after a difficult mission, and they have no idea that a quartet of psychics is secretly turning the place into a deathtrap. The story builds at a near-perfect pace, with events taking a creepier and creepier tone until the finale is a full-on terrifying gory nai ...more
Eric
I started reading Thunderbolts years ago and kept on with the series until my end days with college. This is the story I never finished and I'm glad I have the chance to catch up. While this series loses the charm of the original villains trying to be heroes premise that it started on, this take, a government task force for collecting unregistered superheroes, is fun in and of itself.
I loved that the psychics who have been taken into custody cause the Thunderbolts to fall apart so easily. Watch
Silas
I believe I have previously read this arc, but it was a pretty good one. The Thunderbolts are subverted by a crew of telepaths, and end up going a bit nuts and fighting each other, while Penance gets some therapy with Doc Samson. It's pretty interesting, and a bit better in context than it was without, but still doesn't make me enjoy this incarnation of the Thunderbolts as much as I did the original.
Mathew Carruthers
I've only recently taken an interest in this title - quite good. Psychotic super-villains deputized as super law enforcement agents - what could go wrong? Warren Ellis continues to be a top notch writer.
Jon Forisha
Good, though I'd have to say probably less as good as Volume 1, and that's due primarily to the fact that it's not on as large a scale.

To me, superhero comic book concepts such as this are really interesting when the writer magnifies the issue and applies it to the modern world at large. With a writer as capable as Warren Ellis, he can definitely accomplish such an otherworldly application, and managed to pull it off pretty well in Volume 1.

Volume 2, however, takes place almost entirely inside
Sonic
This was awesome fun, of the depraved variety. There should be more stories like this where the focus is on the "villains".
Brad
This latest group of villains parading as heroes decide to fight themselves instead of justifying their government sponsorship and personal mountain in Colorado. Warren Ellis finally makes Penance an interesting character, and his version of Norman Osbourne, a quiet, angry Machiavelli who somehow has support in Washington, seems to be the new Marvel standard.
Deodato's extra-shadowy art is actually useful here-it makes Thunderbolts mountain plenty claustrophobic.
Christopher
What do you do to spice up the Marvel world? You turn it upside down and have all the bad guys act like the good guys. What author better to do this than Warren Ellis. He adds a entertaining, yet sick and twisted storyline to the whole super hero registration act. I think this second volume in the series was better than the first. Great entertainment. I am still an Ellis fan. Cheers.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Thunderbolts #116-121. The Thunderbolts are infiltrated by their prisoners, and the prisoners work to find the Thunderbolts' weaknesses. This graphic novel ends Ellis' run on the Thunderbolts. It is relatively short, and the story is simple but strong. I'm a fan of Doc Samson, and it is always interesting when his character is brought in to analyze a team.
AGraphicMaduck
loved it...don't know how Ellis does it but the art matches his writing/tone, etc. perfectly...captures the madness of this team...really good, it's stuck with me, the portrayal of the green goblin is nightmarish...perfectly done book in my opinion doesn't get much better than this...I read volume 2 first and will need to check out volume 1...
Angela
The Thunderbolts continue amongst bad and good press. Norman is losing it a bit, and Venom is goinga bit wild. The team is starting to disintergrate even more. A good character based read, and I really liked the inclusion of Doc Samson.
Jakub Rabyniuki
The worst work in the world?
Security in Thunderbolts Mountain.
Thunderbolts of Warren Ellis is one of the best superhero (supervillain) comics in recent years. Too bad that was created just twelve parts.
Clay
Same as volume 1. The only problem I have with this book is the art. I love Deodato's art but not in this book. It's dark and hides more than it helps the story.
John Ekleberry
This was so good... Ellis & Deodato do fantastic work here. I love Norman Osborn. Now I'm going to have to re-read the excellent Dark Avengers that this lead to...
Mikeyb4
I love the Thunderbolts... always have. The intrigue and manipulations, redemption and failing, and the whole anti-hero thing has always been vastly appealing.
George
A great read.

My prediction: when Secret Invasion ends The Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) will be the next president of the United States.
Matthew
Ellis is fun when he can play with sociopathic characters. There's nothing I love more than antagonistic protagonists.
Sean
Best part about this collection is the dialogue of the non-super-powered thunderbolt security forces.
Jamil
if Bendis could write crazy Norman Osborn like Ellis, maybe "Dark Reign" would be worth following...
Ed
Don't quite get the love for this series. It's good and all, but far from canon Warren Ellis.
Shannon Appelcline
More great art and characters, but this story ends up being too decompressed.
Daken Howlett
Daken Howlett marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jae Hong
Jae Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 2: The Death of Captain America
  • Dark Avengers, Vol. 1: Assemble
  • Astonishing X-Men - Volume 2
  • Secret Avengers by Rick Remender - Volume 1 (The Descendants)
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 3: World's Most Wanted, Book 2
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 3
  • Dark Reign: Deadpool/Thunderbolts
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)