Start by marking “Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels” as Want to Read:
Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels

Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels (Thunderbolts #12)

The Thunderbolts' wild ride continues as Thunderbolts Mountain is being used as temporary incarceration for captured superhuman combatants. With so many super-powered people in one place, how can things possibly go wrong? Plus: Songbird. Moonstone. The two longest-serving members of the Thunderbolts, but that's practically all they have in common. Songbird has vowed not to ...more
Published November 26th 2008 by Marvel Comics (first published August 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderbolts, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderbolts, Vol. 2

Gavin
Jun 09, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Quite a year long run on this for Ellis.
Bullseye in locked in syndrome, 4 telepaths get sent to Thunderbolt Mt., fuck with everyone, they all go nuts and nearly kill each other.
Meanwhile, Doc Samson helps Robbie "Speedball/Pennance" Baldwin to realize he's still OK, saving him from mental breakdown and showing him how his powers have grown.

Plus Doc pounds on Moonstone, the best psychiatrist psmackdown ever.

Venom takes over Garrigan, and the only thing that saves the Thunderbolts from collap
Arno Callens
The Thunderbolts series is all about reforming villains into heroes. Warren Ellis' run is all about them never getting that chance. Whether it's society judging them, or the titular telepaths manipulating them; any push forward on the path to righteousness is followed by two pushes back. I don't really buy that Radioactive Man would actually want to give people cancer, but it isn't too big a stretch of the imagination to think that he could.

The exception to this is Penance, who takes a first ste
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Thunderbolts story ever. Ellis and Deodato spent their first arc establishing the new team, taking a new direction for the team concept. Now the various villains have returned to their mountain headquarters to regroup after a difficult mission, and they have no idea that a quartet of psychics is secretly turning the place into a deathtrap. The story builds at a near-perfect pace, with events taking a creepier and creepier tone until the finale is a full-on terrifying gory nai ...more
Matej Kondas
Mar 15, 2015 Matej Kondas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warren Ellis udělal z Thunderbolts senzaci. Udělal z nich tým marvelu, který pod vedením Normana Osborna chytá neregistrované superhrdiny proto aby ochránil americký lid, který se těžko vyrovnává se zmizením idolů typu Captaina Ameriky a dalších během Občanské války. Sekundárním cílem je získat Osbornovi politické body.

Kdo četl první díl "Faith in Monsters" ví, že Osbornův tým rozhodně není nějakým uskupením pravověrných skautů. Ale smečka nespolupracujících šílenců a deviantů, kteří v poli moc
Holden Attradies
Mar 07, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it it was amazing
First off the art work was stellar. The coloring worked perfect with the artist, the detail in the faces really standing out. I especially appreciated this because to often the art in superhero comics is purely defined by rippling muscles and T&A. I always appreciate art in this medium that draws more attention to the character aspect of the characters. And as others have said Mike Deodato's art work, which is very dark and shadowy works very well in this story and adds a lot to the feeling ...more
guanaeps
Feb 01, 2017 guanaeps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Warren Ellis was the first writer in comics to ever shock me. I had no idea comics could be so insane. Granted, at this point most of my exposure to comicdom was Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, so I was young. Ellis and Mike Deodato Jr. showed me what comics were capable of, and I was awed.

In the previous arc, Ellis brought the team to a boiling point; disaster was in the air, it just needed a little push. And when Thunderbolts mountain has to be used as an auxiliary prison, things go off the rails
Eric Mikols
Oct 25, 2011 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: villains
I started reading Thunderbolts years ago and kept on with the series until my end days with college. This is the story I never finished and I'm glad I have the chance to catch up. While this series loses the charm of the original villains trying to be heroes premise that it started on, this take, a government task force for collecting unregistered superheroes, is fun in and of itself.
I loved that the psychics who have been taken into custody cause the Thunderbolts to fall apart so easily. Watch
Jonathan Forisha
Oct 04, 2010 Jonathan Forisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, though I'd have to say probably less as good as Volume 1, and that's due primarily to the fact that it's not on as large a scale.

To me, superhero comic book concepts such as this are really interesting when the writer magnifies the issue and applies it to the modern world at large. With a writer as capable as Warren Ellis, he can definitely accomplish such an otherworldly application, and managed to pull it off pretty well in Volume 1.

Volume 2, however, takes place almost entirely inside
Lissa
Jul 31, 2016 Lissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, read-in-2011
Although I don't think this trade was as good as the one that preceded it (Faith in Monsters), this is still a good read. Before Ellis took over the reigns, I didn't know a thing about the Thunderbolts and didn't care to learn anything about them. Ellis has taken this team of misfits and crafted them into some seriously good stuff. The team's dynamics are fun to watch (as they pretty much implode upon themselves in this trade), and you can see how the Dark Reign event is evolving into existence ...more
Brad
Oct 14, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
This latest group of villains parading as heroes decide to fight themselves instead of justifying their government sponsorship and personal mountain in Colorado. Warren Ellis finally makes Penance an interesting character, and his version of Norman Osbourne, a quiet, angry Machiavelli who somehow has support in Washington, seems to be the new Marvel standard.
Deodato's extra-shadowy art is actually useful here-it makes Thunderbolts mountain plenty claustrophobic.
Silas
Aug 27, 2014 Silas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe I have previously read this arc, but it was a pretty good one. The Thunderbolts are subverted by a crew of telepaths, and end up going a bit nuts and fighting each other, while Penance gets some therapy with Doc Samson. It's pretty interesting, and a bit better in context than it was without, but still doesn't make me enjoy this incarnation of the Thunderbolts as much as I did the original.
AGraphicMaduck
loved it...don't know how Ellis does it but the art matches his writing/tone, etc. perfectly...captures the madness of this team...really good, it's stuck with me, the portrayal of the green goblin is nightmarish...perfectly done book in my opinion doesn't get much better than this...I read volume 2 first and will need to check out volume 1...
Fizzgig76
Reprints Thunderbolts #116-121. The Thunderbolts are infiltrated by their prisoners, and the prisoners work to find the Thunderbolts' weaknesses. This graphic novel ends Ellis' run on the Thunderbolts. It is relatively short, and the story is simple but strong. I'm a fan of Doc Samson, and it is always interesting when his character is brought in to analyze a team.
Jedhua
Sep 30, 2016 Jedhua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Info: This collection contains Thunderbolts issues #116-121.

{2.5/5 stars} (Rounded Up)

description
Christopher
Dec 02, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do to spice up the Marvel world? You turn it upside down and have all the bad guys act like the good guys. What author better to do this than Warren Ellis. He adds a entertaining, yet sick and twisted storyline to the whole super hero registration act. I think this second volume in the series was better than the first. Great entertainment. I am still an Ellis fan. Cheers.
Patrick
Jul 13, 2015 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Second volume and I'm just not feeling it. Bad people doing bad things and getting away with it. Everyone is manipulating someone and there really isn't much of a redemption line. I was hoping for a redemption line.

Ok, maybe Songbird counts, but that isn't enough to make up for the rest.

I'm not interested enough to continue this run.
Michal Vámoš
Jun 28, 2016 Michal Vámoš rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellisovi tohle sedlo. Výborně to navazuje na jedničku a líbí se mi ta psychologie týmu - tohle se nedá považovat za normální tým. Polovina týmu jsou psychopati, kteří jdou těm druhým po krku. Bylo to skvělé.
A Green oblin rules.
"I was wondering if you could direct me to the arm-eating retard and the sword-waving aristo."
Angela
Jul 28, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
The Thunderbolts continue amongst bad and good press. Norman is losing it a bit, and Venom is goinga bit wild. The team is starting to disintergrate even more. A good character based read, and I really liked the inclusion of Doc Samson.
Jakub Rabyniuk
Jun 14, 2009 Jakub Rabyniuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The worst work in the world?
Security in Thunderbolts Mountain.
Thunderbolts of Warren Ellis is one of the best superhero (supervillain) comics in recent years. Too bad that was created just twelve parts.
Wherein Norman Osbourne unfavorably compares his staff to Hitler's. Normally, I'd call Godwin Law violation on Ellis and chuck it, but it was funny. I found a lot of the T&A off-putting, but there was some good super villain on super villain violence, so that was cool.
Mathew Carruthers
Sep 11, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only recently taken an interest in this title - quite good. Psychotic super-villains deputized as super law enforcement agents - what could go wrong? Warren Ellis continues to be a top notch writer.
Clay
Jan 01, 2011 Clay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same as volume 1. The only problem I have with this book is the art. I love Deodato's art but not in this book. It's dark and hides more than it helps the story.
Sonic
May 13, 2014 Sonic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome fun, of the depraved variety. There should be more stories like this where the focus is on the "villains".
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero, comic
Don't quite get the love for this series. It's good and all, but far from canon Warren Ellis.
Jamil
Dec 11, 2008 Jamil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
if Bendis could write crazy Norman Osborn like Ellis, maybe "Dark Reign" would be worth following...
Andrew Obrigewitsch
I liked the vol 1 much better, but this is still a good story. It's just not amazing like the first part was.
Adam Šilhan
Nov 01, 2016 Adam Šilhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
U Marvelu se mi z nějakého důvodu stává často, že po výborně našláplém a netradičním úvodu série přijde tuctové a nezajímavé dokončení. Druhý díl Thunderbolts je v tomto celkem extrémní příklad.
Matthew
Jun 11, 2009 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Ellis is fun when he can play with sociopathic characters. There's nothing I love more than antagonistic protagonists.
Mikeyb4
Jul 27, 2013 Mikeyb4 rated it it was amazing
I love the Thunderbolts... always have. The intrigue and manipulations, redemption and failing, and the whole anti-hero thing has always been vastly appealing.
Shannon Appelcline
More great art and characters, but this story ends up being too decompressed.
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven
  • Annihilation, Book Three
  • Agents of Atlas
  • PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin
  • Absolute Promethea, Book Two
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Thunderbolts (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Thunderbolts Classic, Volume 1