Start by marking “Uncommon Community: One Congregation's Work with Prisoners” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Community: One Congregation's Work with Prisoners

Uncommon Community: One Congregation's Work with Prisoners

In 2003 members of the Henry David Thoreau Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fort Bend County, Texas, began a letter writing program with prison inmates. Soon aferward they launched a creative writing workshop and then a program that allowed prisoners to serve as writing mentors to college students. Speer describes how these programs started and evolved, sharing ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Skinner House Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Community

K.
Jun 27, 2008 K. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world
Shelves: non-fiction, prison
I'm hardly a disinterested observer. I worked on all these projects, and John dedicated the book to me. Even if this weren't true, I would still love it. The voices of the prisoners are the best part.
Cindy
Dec 08, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
This book only made me more motivated to continue working in prison ministry. I draw strength and conviction from the ministries that others are doing in prisons, especially within the UU church.
Alicia
Jun 06, 2011 Alicia rated it it was amazing
A great testimony of humanity and a how to guide.
Rev. Sharon Wylie
Rev. Sharon Wylie rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Paul
Nov 29, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
A practical and theological guide to creating a congregational ministry to prisoners.
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014