Start by marking “The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)

The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities #2)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  31 reviews
What if you were given a map to a magic that could change the worst moment of your life...for a price?

From two all-stars of dark fantasy, Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon, coauthors of Mind the Gap, comes this terrifying new thriller of magic and dangerous passions, where an ordinary man searches the magical landscape of an extraordinary city for the chance of a lifetime.
Published January 27th 2009 by Spectra (first published December 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Map of Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map of Moments

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
459th out of 578 books — 2,386 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Okay. Here's the deal: You get to go back in time to fix the worst, awfulest thing you've ever experienced. You have to go through some rancid goo to get there, and it will stick to you. But you get to change something that's shredding your insides every day of your life.

Do you do it? Who could resist, right?

After reading this book, I'd say you'd hesitate a good long while before answering. Change comes only at a price. Prices have a way of changing, even though you think you know what they are.
Charlie
The Map of Moments is a beautifully rendered journey through the city of New Orleans. The storytelling captures the mystery of the city, as well as provides a unique historical perspective. The main character returns to New Orleans to attend a funeral post-Katrina. The aftermath of the 'bitch,' as Katrina is called, is chilling but the spirit is enduring. The reader must trust in the magic of the city in order to believe the adventure that occurs to the main character. Through a series of moment ...more
Fran
I have not read books by this author before, but the title caught my eye, along with a magical/mysterious take on New Orleans post Katrina. Compelling, but I found the writing to be less than stellar.
Janice Bonczek
A very cool sequel to Mind the Gap, also by Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon. Although these two books are both part of the "Hidden Cities" series, they share neither characters or location. It seems that each book in this series is to be set in a different city, and each story will be about the hidden "heart", or "spirit" of the city. Quite an interesting premise.

While the first book dealt with an actual hidden city beneath London, in old abandoned tube tunnels and bomb shelters; the "hidden
Caressa
I found this book on the New Fiction shelf at the library, and was really excited! I've read the first novel of the Hidden Cities, and rather enjoyed it. I'm in love with New Orleans, so to have a novel set this beautiful and enigmatic city just flipped my flapjacks.

The descriptions are both beautiful and horrifying, portraying the post-Katrina devastation. I was liking the protagonist, and getting pulled into the mystery and magic of NOLA.

Then the authors started dropping the F-bomb. Like film
Lissa Notreallywolf
The Map of Moments is a history professors rite of passage in a post Katrina new Orleans. I have no idea how accurately it depicts moments in New Orleans macabre history, or if these are simply dark fantasy creations of the author. But it is an interesting journey through his grief and disorientation, both for the city and his lost love.
Michelle
This is an interesting book set in post-Katrina (two months) New Orleans. Max left New Orleans months earlier after his girlfriend Gabrielle broke his heart. Now he finds out that she's been killed in the hurricane and he returns for her funeral. He's approached by a man who makes the intriguing proposal that Max visit various Moments in New Orleans' history in preparation for stepping back in time to rescue Gabrielle. If he hadn't been so drunk, Max would probably have just walked away but when ...more
Clarice
This was a fast and easy read. It's about on par with the rest of Christopher Golden's novels. Not my favorite of his, but still pretty good. I believe this is in the same vein as Mind the Gap, however this story is a little bit more... mystical? Something. No repeat characters, some pretty good conflict... but I do feel like this one was a bit more flat somehow. The reasons behind the main characters actions just fell flat a bit, and I did not feel the full emotional impact that I think was bei ...more
Jennifer Niskanen
Great suspense and characterization. Interesting concepts and atmosphere. I liked the ending, not because it was what I wanted or expected but I understand it and it was well constructed.
Sylvia Marquez
First 100 pages had me doubting my choice. Very slow start, but I had been reading action packed stories prior to picking this up so I expected more. Glad I did not put it down. Took place in post Katrina New Orleans. An insight on how the city was ravaged by mother nature. The story was a puzzle of moments that held magic, voodoo and the paranormal. Right up my alley. Toward the end, the pieces of the puzzle started to make sense; an aha moment if you will. A quick fun read.
Kate
The first Hidden Cities book had a YA vibe to it but this is definitely more adult-oriented. The basic idea is the same: an innocent person gets involved in something quasi-magical they don't understand and are pursued by a Menacing Gang throughout most of the book while interesting details from the city's past are revealed. The authors do a nice job portraying the dislocation of New Orleans after Katrina, and though it's slow to get going the story is entertaining overall.
I liked this book because it was sort of a historical mystical tour of New Orleans, and also gave a first-hand account of what post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans was like with detailed imagery. However, the characters were a little one dimensional, especially Gabrielle, and the choices the main character makes are just stupid. But I suppose without his stupid choices there wouldn't really be a novel.
Brenda
This book was not something I would normally read, I was in the mood for something different. The story is set in New Orleans, post Hurricane Katrina. Max is to follow a map to change the past. I found I could only read this book a little at a time because the "darkness" spooked me. I am glad I can say I read this book, but I don't think I will actively seek out these authors again.
Craig
A very well done tale of magic set throughout the history of New Orleans, beginning and ending in the post-Katrina era. The plotting is much tighter than in the previous Hidden Cities book (Mind the Gap), and the characters are well-done and convincing, if not always likeable. It's a thought-provoking and occasionally surprising enjoyable read.
Carol
Man visits post-Katrina New Orleans and through a conjurer who gives him a magic map, visits past historical moments of the Big Easy. His motive is to change the events that led to the death of his girlfriend. Very action packed and requires a suspension of disbelief. Would be a great movie.
Sasha
This is a decent, compelling read. Not stunning, but enjoyable in an escapist sort of way. A guilty-feeling professor follows a magical map through moments of New Orlean's history to save his ex-lover from death in Hurricane Katrina.
Tasula
A fascinating setting- New Orleans shortly after Katrina. A professor returns for the funeral of a woman who betrayed him in love, and gets embroiled in a battle of magicians- evil vs "not so evil".
Beverly
Kori
The plot line was a bit thin, however it was interesting to read about historical New Orleans as well as a couple of months post Katrina New Orleans.
I love fictional ways to read about history.
Suburbangardener
I liked the concept of this book, a person traveling around post-Katrina New Orleans, experiencing first hand important moments from the city's history, but it was too gruesome for my taste.
Lisa
This book was delightfully creepy! Set in post Katrina New Orleans it is a mix of history, supernatural and horror....I finished it in one sitting, had to see where it was going!
Jocelyn
The protagonist running around trying to find points on the map made for a storyline that dragged on a little, but I liked the setting of post Katrina New Orleans.
Steven Koch
This book is set in New Orleans and is really great. It gives you a new perspective on Katrina and the damage to lives and property that it caused.
Sue Jellum
Really liked it, disappointed there were no connections with the first in the series. Will read more.
Marianne Beebe
Really neat premise but I wish it had been written by someone else...like Anne Rice maybe.
Alesia
Bittersweet post Katrina tale with a walk on the darker side of magic.
Dale
Solid second offering in this series. Very fast paced and interesting.
Amy
Yeah, somewhere between a two and a one...
Jane Vincent
A beautiful homage to the city of New Orleans.
Deedee
Magical New Orleans post-Katrina
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)
  • God Save the Queen
  • Bloody Awful (Brytewood, #2)
  • Geeks vs. Zombies
  • Evil Ways (Quincey Morris, #2)
  • Crush. Candy. Corpse.
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Bird
  • Cajun Spirit (Jolie Blonde, #3)
  • The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (Johnny Dixon, #11)
  • Benighted
  • Tooth & Nail (Benny Imura, #3.5)
  • The Autumn Castle
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
  • Blood Retribution (Lee Nez, #2)
  • Will O' the Wisp
  • Devil's Trill
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

Hidden Cities (4 books)
  • Mind the Gap (Hidden Cities, #1)
  • The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities, #3)
  • The Shadow Men (Hidden Cities, #4)
The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Hellboy: Odd Jobs Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Hellboy: Odder Jobs Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)