Start by marking “Stardust: The Visual Companion” as Want to Read:
Stardust: The Visual Companion

Stardust: The Visual Companion

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Victorian England, a young man, Tristan Throne, tried to win the heart of Victoria, the beautiful but cold object of his desire, by going on a quest to retrieve a star that has fallen beyond the ancient wall bordering his village. His quest take him to a mysterious and forbidden land, and when he encounters the star he discovers it has transformed into a striking, sprit ...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Stardust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stardust

Parka
If you haven't watched the movie, watch it. It's a very good movie, comically fun and charming.

This book is like the audio commentary that goes with the DVD, except it packs more interesting details. The advantage of a book in this case is, it enjoyed at a more leisurely pace.

Although Amazon stated that this book is hard covered, the copy I have in my hands is actually soft covered. Not much difference really, since it doesn't take away anything.

This is a "Making of" book. The process of creatin
Mark Redman
Stardust is a fairy tale for adults which I first read way back in 1998. I wondered if it still had any appeal. Would I still like it? Does it still retain its charm? The answer is yes.

Stardust starts with Dunstan Thorn – every nine years the Faerie market takes place on the perimeter of Wall, the town which is named after the wall which surrounds it. Dunstan rents out his cottage to a stranger in exchange he will receive his ‘Heart’s Desire’ like in all good fairy stories, plus rent for the co
Echo
I didn't think this was necessarily a bad book, but I do agree that it's not as good as the movie. If I'd read it before watching the movie, I might have given it 5 stars. The book has most of the points that the movie did, except there are major changes to each point that just made the whole thing more exciting in the movie. There wasn't really a climax in the book, or at least not one that I could feel in my bones. Probably the most important difference was that, in the book, there's no time l ...more
Camille
Neil gaiman is one of my favorite authors. He has a creative way of twisting his stories into something previously unimagined. Stardust is a perfect example. He takes what should be a standard fairy tale and twists it into an amazing adventure. Seven brothers who must win the throne by being the last man standing, a fallen star who turns out to be a sarcastic girl, an enslaved princess and a boy who sets out on his quest with one goal in mind and returns home a year later on a compleatly differe ...more
Rusty
This is the romantic story of Tristran who travels in the land of faerie to find a star that fell when he knelt to propose to the beautiful Victoria who says she will accept him when he brings her the star. His adventures are many but the dauntless young man survives all and finds the star linking her to him with a silver chain. Yvaine hates Tristran and he plans to take her home to Victoria but when he saves her life from the witch queen she is bound to him forever. The two travel to the wall w ...more
Hannah Roberts
Love learning about the behind the scenes efforts of films but this book made me love the film more than I already do :) would now love to read the original book!
Sean
Sep 06, 2007 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the movie "Stardust"
Full of beautiful stills, both from the film and from the backlot, as well as art from the original graphic novel, conversations with director Matthew Vaughn, author Neil Gaiman, artist Charles Vess, actors Charlie Cox and Claire Danes, and fascinating bits of trivia about the filming process, this book is a great read for anyone who enjoyed the movie. Be careful, though; the entire story is eventually spoiled, so watch the movie and read the novel first.
Sophie
A great companion to the movie Stardust. I loved the movie, but didn't like the original book as much. For me this bridged the gap a bit, explaining why certain things had been changed, and also a lot of commentary from Neil Gaiman about his original version. Also a lot of other neat information about the making of the film, casting, locations, costumes, etc. etc. All in all pretty neat, and a pretty quick read considering the size.
Trina
I saw the movie and loved it so I thought I would like the book just as much. This book is nothing like the movie. Not that being different is a bad thing. It shocked me so much that I had a hard time getting into at first. Also there are a few sex moments and some language. I am used to the oh so happy ending of the movie that I was let down. Maybe I would like it more if I had not see the movie first.
Diana
It could maybe be 5 stars but I can't finish reading the book because pages 85- something or other are in there twice and the pages that should be in that spot are missing... grrr! Update: I got a new book and finished it, I really liked it but I'm still giving it 4 stars. There are some things I liked better in the movie and some things I liked better in the book
Cynthia
I just finish to read this book but after i watch the movie is like the fairytale for a adult with a beautiful and imagination, but to bad the ending i rather to choose the movie more clear but if you like Neil Gaiman you should read it (but in my opinion after u read it please watch the movie ^^)
Pam
This book talks about the making of the movie "Stardust". It was a pretty good book. I wished they would have told more of how things were done rather than just explain the plot. But they did have good bits from different people they interviewed. So overall it was worth reading.
Veronica
Dec 25, 2008 Veronica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
Quite a long book and with quite small font, but one of my favorite books. I saw the movie before I read the book and the book was very different to the movie. I actually liked the book better than the movie, but I recommend the movie as well as the book.
Kai
An adult version of Fairy Tale. When I read this I find very doubtful Tristan's courtship to Victoria, whom I find unworthy for her. But I really love the relationship between Tristan and Yvaine including the part where she insults him in their meeting.
Samantha97 Stowell
Love, Love, Loved the movie so I thought I'd pick up the book. Two sexual encounters I did not appreciate. This was not the case of the book being better than the movie. I will stick with the movie and bypass the book.
Pauline de Silva
A very imaginative love story.. another Gaiman's finest book ever publish :) and the movie itself, though some scenes were changed and deleted, I can say that the twist and turns of events still leaped my heart out :)
meredith
yay neil gaiman!
i only wish i'd read it first before seeing the film version. the film was good but not true to the book in the ending, and i hate the hollywood-ized bastardization of good text.

fun read though!
Yi-Ann
Stupid.Cheesy.should've stopped reading by the 40th page. Fairytalelike(good, but in this case, in an exaggerated way.) All characters have very intensified personalities. Better as a movie, probably.
Fumphwoog, Lady of all Sorrows
Wasn't as good as I thought. :( a very rare occasion when I prefer the movie over the book : / but it was still entertaining enough. I would suggest just sticking to the movie though ;)
Bridgett
Lots of fascinating information about the costumes and landscapes, as well as the intent behind the characters! The pictures were really nice too.
Saman
Jul 22, 2009 Saman added it

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید

Tarryn
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. I never connected at all. The movie, however, was wonderful. I'll stick to that.
Leah
Aug 20, 2007 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the book or loved the movie
Excellent book for those who loved the movie!! It has great full color pictures as well as the screenplay in the back.
Dian Pina
i loved the movie but i loved the book way way more if your a fantacy lover you should read it
David
Not as good as the film but worth reading. I liked the humour that was added to the film
Elize Amornette
I enjoyed reading this book ... it was so easy to get lost in the story.
Queenie Cocjin
Tritran Thron is in search of a star for her heart's desire.

It is love. :)
Clare
Original. Costume. Sketches. All I needed to know.
Roxxie
such a great fantasy novel.
Kristin
A nice story. Quick read.
  • MirrorMask: The Illustrated Film Script
  • The Alchemy of Mirrormask
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • The Sandman Papers: An Exploration of the Sandman Mythology
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Hugo Movie Companion: A Behind the Scenes Look at How a Beloved Book Became a Major Motion Picture
  • The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure
  • Trolls
  • The Art of Toy Story 3
  • The Emperor of Absurdia
  • The Wildlife of Star Wars
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox: The Making of the Motion Picture
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Art of The Avengers
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones...
Shadows over Innsmouth Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1) H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror The Art of Coraline