Start by marking “Potato Joe” as Want to Read:
Potato Joe

Potato Joe

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This fresh adaptation of the classic "One Potato, Two Potato" nursery rhyme is a counting adventure and rollicking good time rolled into one. Spunky leader Potato Joe and his nine spuds pals count up to ten and back down again, all while playing games and meeting up with other garden friends.

With its playful tone and hilariously expressive potatoes, Potato Joe is a spud-ta
Published June 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Potato Joe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potato Joe

Penny McGill
Oct 19, 2014 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
Potatoes do not get enough attention in the world. Why is this? I am out to change this - one child at a time - by reading this book @ storytime this week. No. Just because I loved this book, not to rid the world of injustice against potatoes. Keith Baker has created some sweet little potatoes here though (get it, sweet potatoes!?) and it rhymes so cleverly. The illustrations have lovely movement to them and you know that each time you turn a page the potatoes on the previous page are simply who ...more
David
Mar 03, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Potato Joe by Keith Baker, a fresh adaptation of the classic nursery rhyme, is a fun rhyming and counting adventure featuring 10 potatoes and other garden friends.

Baker's detailed illustrations were done in Adobe Photoshop. Readers can look for animals including ant, spider, crow, beetle, caterpilar, ladybugs, moth, bee, and snail. I love the picture of Watermelon Moe! The potatoes, of different sizes and shapes, seem endowed with personality. My favorite images are tic-tac-toe, crow, rodeo, do
Amy Forrester
Dec 24, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Based on the classic, One Potato, Two Potato nursery rhyme, the potatoes in this book count themselves out from one to ten and then back down again. The potatoes are just so excited to be out of the ground! In bouncing rhyming text the spuds “ro-de-O!” and “do-si-do” with their friends, Tomato Flo and Watermelon Moe. All too soon it’s time to roll back into the garden and underground where potatoes grow.

All the rhyming text in this energetic book is spoken by the potatoes, either solo or in a ro
Falan Miller
"Potato Joe", is a silly book that talks about counting a potatoes. This book is just random and has a very catchy rhyme scheme to it. It makes you want to read it with a beat.

I liked this book, it was a fun read and the potatoes are cute! I don't have much to say about this book, because it really does not have a plot line and is random.

I think this book would be good for a young group of kids who are learning how to count. They would have fun interacting with the counting scheme.
SecretlyanAlien
POTATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Julie
Mar 19, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book was a surprising hit during preschool storytime this morning. The kids thought the Watermelon Moe page was especially hilarious.

Potatoes are funny, who knew?
Deb Carter
Apr 24, 2015 Deb Carter rated it really liked it
cute book about counting and early childhood. Perhaps around St. Patrick's Day and a study of potatoes.
Amar Pai
Aug 24, 2014 Amar Pai rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
Eh. I didn't like it. It's know meant for little kids, but my kid didn't like it either. FOUR THUMBS DOWN
Rachael
Feb 23, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
"Meh" is my opinion. Its a counting book, but there are better ones. Little Man loved it, though.
Andy
Mar 09, 2016 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mg, numbers
Storytime kids LOVE Potato Joe! And I do too!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The potatoes are out of the ground and ready to roll! They are jumping and counting together with their friends in the garden.

I enjoy this simple title about potatoes. They count and roll and rhyme together. They counting up to ten and count down to one. The illustrations are big and bright. The text is big and bold as well. An excellent title and a great read for beginning readers.

2014 storytime Theme: dirt
2016 storytime theme: farm / potatoes
Additional themes: gardens, potatoes, counting

Review
Camille
There's something about potatoes that really gets me!
I find Potato Joe so simple and entertaining. You don't have to be a great storytime expert to get kids excited while reading this book. I think Ben Stein could even pull it off. The rhymes are incredibly playful and since there are kinds of different elements thrown in, each page turn is exciting. HIghly recommend it for reading with babies since the pictures are clear and brightly colored. But I think the fun continues all the way up to the
Michael
Jan 21, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Freaking hilarious!I loved this one.
Kerri Harshaw
The text in this book rhymes everything with the word "potato". This is a cute book to read to younger students when introducing them to rhyming words and also counting. One by one the potatoes count up as they roll around in the garden, and then count themselves back down in the end as they go back to their growing hole. A cute, short story for students to enjoy!
Janet
Mar 19, 2013 Janet rated it did not like it
Okay, so it is a new adaption, but still I want a little sense about potatoes and the old One Potato, Two rhyme. Also I love potatoes and know lots about potatoes and have handled lots of potatoes in my life time. But all of a sudden there is snow on the potatoes. Just did not ring true to me even in a nonsense way.
Kate
Mar 28, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
There's nothing really wrong with this book...but it didn't really work for me. It's cute and the pictures are kind of cool. But the flow didn't work for me. I'd rather see something more repetitive or more plot based but this one seemed to inhabit a boring middle-ground.
Codie Gates
Dec 29, 2012 Codie Gates rated it it was amazing
Potato Joe is quite a nice book. You can learn to count, rhyme, and learn where potatoes grow. The pictures are fun and cute too.

Potato Joe can be used to show students how potatoes grow. We could actually grow some potatoes to really help students grasp it.
Megan Rowland
Apr 04, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, rhyming
This book will make the kids smile. If you want to integrate counting and rhyming this is a good book. Potato Joe tells how potatos grow, so you could intergrate social studies with this book, too. The children will love counting outloud as a group along with the book.
Raven Grider
Apr 11, 2011 Raven Grider rated it really liked it
Rhyming, rhyming, rhyming! This book would definitely be used for rhyming in my classroom. I would use it in a kindergarten, or pre-kindergarten setting. This book could also be incorporated into basic adding/math lessons at the early elementary level.
Marcie
Jul 07, 2010 Marcie rated it liked it
Picked this up because I usually love Keith Baker. I can see preschool and Kindergarten teachers using this as a model for kids writing and illustrating counting books with other vegetables. Author lives in Seattle Washington.
Intentional Jen
Aug 18, 2008 Intentional Jen rated it really liked it
This is a very cute rendition of One Potato, Two Potato. . . It's has a lot of rhythms and is a great way to practice counting. Potato Joe is very colorful. Great for toddlers. Plus, I'm a sucker for kid's garden books.
Beth
Jul 14, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Fun and original rhyming book that uses the old "one potato, two potato."

Illustrations are charming and use appropriately earthy colors.

Great for toddler storytimes and possibly preschool as well.
Molly
Jan 11, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I liked the rythm of this book and LOVED the illustrations. This is totally a Aunt Molly book and I can't wait an opportunity to read this book with my niece and nephews. Ages 2+
Lesley Looper
Aug 10, 2013 Lesley Looper rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2013
This book was a 2.5 for me, so I rounded up to a 3. Seems like a good read-aloud for toddlers learning to count, plus a little lesson on how potatoes grow underground.
Shelley
Apr 04, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, counting
This is a good book for counting. Also you could use this book as a hook and then the students could come up with math problems based on the book and solve them.
Cheryl
Apr 14, 2009 Cheryl added it
I loved this book.I really like watermelon Joe and the ants on the page are good to find it reminds me of richard scarrys gold bug.
Marie
Aug 22, 2015 Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-stories
This book didn't have much of a story to tell but there was a lot of rhyme and word play that makes it fun to read with a toddler.
I LOVED this simple simple book, and so did the kids at toddler storytime. It is an awesome read aloud, and has large simple pictures.
Gabrielle
Aug 31, 2010 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book based on the "one potato, two potato" rhyme. Children ages 3 and up with find it funny. Watch out for Water Melon Moe.
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • On the Farm
  • Night Light
More about Keith Baker...