Start by marking “Potato Joe” as Want to Read:
Potato Joe

Potato Joe

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This fresh adaptation of the classic "One Potato, Two Potato" nursery rhyme is a counting adventure and rollicking good time rolled into one. Spunky leader Potato Joe and his nine spuds pals count up to ten and back down again, all while playing games and meeting up with other garden friends.

With its playful tone and hilariously expressive potatoes, Potato Joe is a spud-ta
Published June 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Potato Joe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potato Joe

Penny McGill
Potatoes do not get enough attention in the world. Why is this? I am out to change this - one child at a time - by reading this book @ storytime this week. No. Just because I loved this book, not to rid the world of injustice against potatoes. Keith Baker has created some sweet little potatoes here though (get it, sweet potatoes!?) and it rhymes so cleverly. The illustrations have lovely movement to them and you know that each time you turn a page the potatoes on the previous page are simply who ...more
David
Potato Joe by Keith Baker, a fresh adaptation of the classic nursery rhyme, is a fun rhyming and counting adventure featuring 10 potatoes and other garden friends.

Baker's detailed illustrations were done in Adobe Photoshop. Readers can look for animals including ant, spider, crow, beetle, caterpilar, ladybugs, moth, bee, and snail. I love the picture of Watermelon Moe! The potatoes, of different sizes and shapes, seem endowed with personality. My favorite images are tic-tac-toe, crow, rodeo, do
Amy Musser
Based on the classic, One Potato, Two Potato nursery rhyme, the potatoes in this book count themselves out from one to ten and then back down again. The potatoes are just so excited to be out of the ground! In bouncing rhyming text the spuds “ro-de-O!” and “do-si-do” with their friends, Tomato Flo and Watermelon Moe. All too soon it’s time to roll back into the garden and underground where potatoes grow.

All the rhyming text in this energetic book is spoken by the potatoes, either solo or in a ro
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The potatoes are out of the ground and ready to roll! They are jumping and counting together with their friends in the garden.

I enjoy this simple title about potatoes. They count and roll and rhyme together. They counting up to ten and count down to one. The illustrations are big and bright. The text is big and bold as well. An excellent title and a great read for beginning readers.

Theme: dirt
Additional themes: gardens, potatoes, counting

Reviewed from a library copy.
Taylor Hanberg
POTATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Amar Pai
Eh. I didn't like it. It's know meant for little kids, but my kid didn't like it either. FOUR THUMBS DOWN
Camille
There's something about potatoes that really gets me!
I find Potato Joe so simple and entertaining. You don't have to be a great storytime expert to get kids excited while reading this book. I think Ben Stein could even pull it off. The rhymes are incredibly playful and since there are kinds of different elements thrown in, each page turn is exciting. HIghly recommend it for reading with babies since the pictures are clear and brightly colored. But I think the fun continues all the way up to the
Michael
Freaking hilarious!I loved this one.
Kerri Harshaw
The text in this book rhymes everything with the word "potato". This is a cute book to read to younger students when introducing them to rhyming words and also counting. One by one the potatoes count up as they roll around in the garden, and then count themselves back down in the end as they go back to their growing hole. A cute, short story for students to enjoy!
Janet
Okay, so it is a new adaption, but still I want a little sense about potatoes and the old One Potato, Two rhyme. Also I love potatoes and know lots about potatoes and have handled lots of potatoes in my life time. But all of a sudden there is snow on the potatoes. Just did not ring true to me even in a nonsense way.
Kate
There's nothing really wrong with this book...but it didn't really work for me. It's cute and the pictures are kind of cool. But the flow didn't work for me. I'd rather see something more repetitive or more plot based but this one seemed to inhabit a boring middle-ground.
Codie Gates
Potato Joe is quite a nice book. You can learn to count, rhyme, and learn where potatoes grow. The pictures are fun and cute too.

Potato Joe can be used to show students how potatoes grow. We could actually grow some potatoes to really help students grasp it.
Megan Rowland
This book will make the kids smile. If you want to integrate counting and rhyming this is a good book. Potato Joe tells how potatos grow, so you could intergrate social studies with this book, too. The children will love counting outloud as a group along with the book.
Raven Grider
Rhyming, rhyming, rhyming! This book would definitely be used for rhyming in my classroom. I would use it in a kindergarten, or pre-kindergarten setting. This book could also be incorporated into basic adding/math lessons at the early elementary level.
Marcie
Picked this up because I usually love Keith Baker. I can see preschool and Kindergarten teachers using this as a model for kids writing and illustrating counting books with other vegetables. Author lives in Seattle Washington.
Jennifer Burns
This is a very cute rendition of One Potato, Two Potato. . . It's has a lot of rhythms and is a great way to practice counting. Potato Joe is very colorful. Great for toddlers. Plus, I'm a sucker for kid's garden books.
Beth Chandler
Fun and original rhyming book that uses the old "one potato, two potato."

Illustrations are charming and use appropriately earthy colors.

Great for toddler storytimes and possibly preschool as well.
Molly
I liked the rythm of this book and LOVED the illustrations. This is totally a Aunt Molly book and I can't wait an opportunity to read this book with my niece and nephews. Ages 2+
Lesley
This book was a 2.5 for me, so I rounded up to a 3. Seems like a good read-aloud for toddlers learning to count, plus a little lesson on how potatoes grow underground.
Shelley
This is a good book for counting. Also you could use this book as a hook and then the students could come up with math problems based on the book and solve them.
Cheryl
Apr 14, 2009 Cheryl added it
I loved this book.I really like watermelon Joe and the ants on the page are good to find it reminds me of richard scarrys gold bug.
Marie
This book didn't have much of a story to tell but there was a lot of rhyme and word play that makes it fun to read with a toddler.
I LOVED this simple simple book, and so did the kids at toddler storytime. It is an awesome read aloud, and has large simple pictures.
Gabrielle
This is a fun book based on the "one potato, two potato" rhyme. Children ages 3 and up with find it funny. Watch out for Water Melon Moe.
Jeness
LOVE this book!!! Awesome illustrations with a cute and witty rhyme. Borrowed it from the library, can't wait to own it :)
Megan
Cute counting book. And Andrew can now differentiate between "tomato" and "potato," which has always been a challenge for him.
Tamsyn
Different style of pictures, rhyming text that has unexpected twists -- an off-the-beaten track, whimisical counting book.
Amelia
Cute spin on "One potato, two potato" rhyme. Illustrations are adorable. My 2-year-old is now obsessed with a potato.
Susan
Have always liked that one potato, two potato rhyme and glad to see someone thought of a fun thing to do with it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pouch!
  • Carrot Soup
  • Farmyard Beat
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
More about Keith Baker...
No Two Alike Big Fat Hen 1-2-3 Peas Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors Hickory Dickory Dock