Start by marking “Hornblower During the Crisis” as Want to Read:
Hornblower During the Crisis

Hornblower During the Crisis (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #4)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,785 ratings  ·  114 reviews

Although unfinished at the time of C. S. Forester's death, Hornblower During the Crisis delivers a full measure of action at sea-the hallmark of this incomparably exciting series of historical adventures. On the threshold of securing his first post as captain, Hornblower finds himself forced by the exigencies of war to fight alongside a man whom he has unintentionally help

Published January 1st 1967 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Hornblower During the Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hornblower During the Crisis

Mr. Matt
My three star rating comes with an enormous asterisk. The author passed away without being able to finish the work. The book - what there is of it - is awesome.

Hornblower leaves the Hotspur. He is promoted to Post-Captain. On the way back to England, he leads a desperate attack on a French frigate. Although the attempt to take the ship fails, some confidential correspondence from the New French Emperor falls into his hands. A couple of weeks later, Hornblower is in Whitehall, meeting with the S
TK421
This 4 star rating comes with a caveat: The novel was left unfinished. What was written is marvelous. Ernest Hemingway loved C. S. Forester's writings, and I cannot disagree with Papa.
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in November 1998.

This posthumously published collection of Hornblower stories includes the last story Forester wrote, which is an incomplete first draft, and the last Hornblower story in their internal chronology. The incomplete story, which fills the bulk of the book and gives it its title, is Forester filling in a gap in Hornblower's past. A newly appointed captain, he captures a ship and takes possession of secret papers from Napoleon, bearing his new seal
Earl Grey Tea
It was a bit sad to get to the end of this book so quickly. As I was approaching the last pages of the book, I thought that C.S. Forester was setting the story up for book number five. Instead, it turns out that he died before he completed writing this book. At the end of my copy, a brief summary based on Forester’s notes was given to describe the remainder of the story.

Even though this is only book number four in the chronological order of the Hornblower series, it was the last book written. Fo
Larry
When Forester wrote this acclaimed series, he included prequels and short stories. I choose to read them in chronological order, starting in Hornblower’s youth. Sadly, during the writing of this book, the author died, the book unfinished. The reader was only left with his notes that indicate the ending. Still, the series is wonderful, so you take what you can get…

In this book, Hornblower has now had 10 years of experience but not yet a Post Captain i.e. a ‘real’ Captain. (It sounds like the Roya
Robert
It is hard to imagine that these books were not written in order because the books flow together quiet well when reading them in chronological order. This book is numbered four in the chronology, but the last to be attempted. Even though the book is incomplete, we do get to see read a complete arch and teased with another. This book also contains two short stories, one told about a young Horatio the other an old one. I could not bring myself to read the last short story. I will wait until I have ...more
Jim Puskas
This is probably the least known part of Forester's Hornblower saga, having been written almost as an afterthought to fill in the gap between "Hotspur" and "Atropos". Forester didn't live long enough to finish it, so it's quite brief, with only the author's notes indicating how he planned it to end.
Also a bit out of character, with Hornblower indulging in espionage for the only time in his career.
I would recommend this one only for the Hornblower enthusiast like myself; certainly not up to the c
Phil
Wish Forester would have had time to finish this novel as it would have been another entertaining read. I've just read the whole series in chronological order finishing with this one so it was kind of weird to start reading about his early days again.

The two short stories were a nice way to cap things off. The last story takes us forward to 1848 when Hornblower is 72! There's nothing quite like reading about a character as a young energetic lieutenant in his early late teens/early 20's followed
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Hornblower was the inspiration for Star Trek's Captain James Kirk, as well as Cornwell's Sharpe. Hornblower is more cerebral and socially awkward than Kirk (or O'Brien's Aubrey), more educated and refined than Sharpe. In his own right, Hornblower is certainly an engaging and complex character and the series is an interesting study in leadership, and a fascinating portrait of life at sea in the age of sail.

In the course of reading several books in the series Hornblower begins to feel real in a w
Reni
So. That's it. The last one. I'm finished.

Did Crisis feel a bit less polished than the other books or even the short stories included in this volume? Yes, certainly. A bit (esp the part in which he presents his plan to the Secretary to the Navy board). But that doesn't detract from the fact that the fragment we got was still exceptionally good. Had the book been finished it might have become one of my favourite Hornblower stories. Forester does a grat job showing how disconnected Hornblower fee
Will Todd
This review is for the complete 11-book series of THE HORNBLOWER SAGA by C.S. Forester, which I just finished reading last night.

[Note: Individual books have individual star ratings (mostly 5-star, a few 4-star), but the descriptive review will be the same for each, and encompass the entire series, as follows.]

Actually, I just finished reading the complete series for the second time, the first being as a teenager some 30 years ago.

It's remarkable to me that I have only just this moment realized
Andrew Chmyr
Fine story but I have been spoiled by reading Patrick O'Brian first. Only three stars as the author passed away before the book was finished. There is only a small set of notes that give a reasonable synopsis of what the ending would have been had Forester live to finish it. The inclusion of two small short stories added a bit to this volume but made me wonder if there were more of them out there.
Peter
An excellent novel-that-could-be. As an unfinished work, this novel nonetheless convinces for the chapters that are finished, almost to the point where it is my favourite Hornblower offering so far. This may be because the action moves away from the sea for a bit, offering a break from repetitive stories at sea, and maybe Hornblower seems a little less grim in this story, displays more initiative. In any case, a short but surprisingly enjoyable read!
Shari
The book Forester left unfinished at his death in 1966, we have the first 117 pages of what promised to be another to be another rollicking story of adventure ending with the Battle of Trafalgar. The author's notes for the unfinished part of the tale are included.

We also have two short stories, the first being "Hornblower's Temptation." This took place on the Renown, early in Horatio's duty on the vessel, during the court-martial and execution of an Irish rebel who had deserted and gone over to
Sverre
This slim book, touted as the eleventh of the vast Hornblower library of naval heroics, is hardly worth its purchase price. But it should be read by completists. It contains the short uncompleted novel Forester was writing just prior to his death, ‘Hornblower and the Crisis,’ as well as two short stories ‘Hornblower and the Widow McCool’ and ‘Last Encounter.’ At its abrupt ending, Forester’s notes about the outcome of the plot have been added. Had the story been competed it would have been worth ...more
Dyana
C.S. Forester died while writing this book so only a fragment of his story is here. (Remember, Forester didn't write this series in sequence.) At the end the editors have included his notes regarding the story's conclusion. To make it into a book they have included two short stories - one about Hornblower in his youth and one during his old age. Anyway, this partial novel is about Hornblower fighting along side a man he has unintentionally helped to court-martial and the aftermath of the battle ...more
Jeff Turner
More of what I expected of Forester. I want to read something besides Hornblower to find out if all of his protagonists are cut from the same cloth. The story is good and the characters are limited, but whether the latter is from a lack of imagination or an intentional attempt to depict the time (or the time as he thought it to have been) I do not know.
David Ward
Hornblower During the Crisis (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #4) by C.S. Forester (Back Bay Books 1967) (Fiction). Hornblower is almost ready to be promoted to captain when he learns that he must fight alongside a man he helped court-martial. Hornblower also tries his hand for the first time at espionage. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
KJ, Madame Librarian
This was on its way to being my favorite of the novels. Hornblower's painful self-awareness is used to good effect. It's always a double-tragedy when an author dies in the middle of a series, and a certain kind of torture for the reader to get a glimpse of the book that could have been.

AND we never find out what Meadows did to sink Hotspur. Son of a bitch.
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young people looking for adventure
This is the last, and uncomplete, Hornblower book written by C.S. Forester although fourth in chronological order.

Like Hornblower and the Hotspur this book and two short stories is an attempt to fill in the gaps in the saga timeline. It is interesting for fans of the series but probably the least well written.

Hornblower becomes involved in a plan to draw out the French and Spanish navies for a decisive battle (Trafalgar as it turns out). Forester's death in 1966 leaves Hornblower just at the poi
Vickey Foggin
This is not much of a book. Forester died while writing it so it is unfinished and unedited. The premise of Hornblower training to be a spy and setting off on a secret mission does sound cool (and SO late 60's) but it's very short and ends before that story begins. I am surprised it was published at all.
Mark Wilson
An exciting if frustrating entry to the series. Chronologically the fourth volume, it was left unfinished when the author died. With notes to show where it would have gone, the part that remains is typical and terrific Hornblower. Well recommended!
Curtiss
I recorded all of C.S. Forester's Hornblower books in 50-55 minute episodes for Golden Hours, my local radio service for blind and reading-impaired listeners. Too bad I didn't make CD copies for myself, since the radio station broadcast the tape versions and then erased them too reuse.

I guess I'll have to re-record them for Golden Hours and this time keep a copy.

I have read and re-read the entire Hornblower series over a dozens times each, three times aloud: once from the upper bunk to my brothe
Bethany Canaan
As Hornblower during the Crisis is an unfinished work because of C. S. Forester's death in 1966. It makes it a bit hard to read as it leads to the start of an exciting mission for Horatio, and then cuts off before the mission begins. The events leading up to that point are worth reading for just for them, but it is a bit of a letdown when you reach the end, though understandably so.
The two short stories tacked on the end feel disjointed, though I did enjoy Hornblower's Temptation, and the bit o
michael suwczinsky
Nice build-up in typically CSF form

finished the Hornblower books months ago and had forgotten this unfinished work . well worth the read. seems to be stepping into Aubrey/Maturin territory as it ends
Landon
Awesome!

Although the book was not finished, which I was dissapointed about, it was still and awesome book. I recomend it highly.
Lindsey
May 12, 2010 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: TNG Fans
Recommended to Lindsey by: Mimi
I heard that Mr. Horatio Hornblower was the basis for the character of Captain Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek's TNG, and so, nerd that I am, I simply had to read the Hornblower books. I am not disappointed in them. I find the character of Mr. Hornblower captivating and I look forward to reading more of the books. I am trying to read them in chronological order of Mr. Hornblower's life and career, but they were written in a very different order. This particular book begins fairly early in Mr. Hornb ...more
Shady Lubbad
Amazing, i really love these books, i can't stop reading... i am totally addicted to these books..
David
My only complaint with this book is that it is unfinished. But I guess death can do that.
Nicola
Such a shame that Forester never got to finish this book as it was gripping from the very start. I read what there was in the space of an afternoon and really wished it could have been longer.

The short story 'Hornblower and the Widow McCool' was okay, not anything particularly extraordinary, although it's good to now know what the affair with the Irishman was (referred to in a book chronologically later in the series).

The short story 'The Last Encounter' rounds off the stories of Hornblower, is
  • The Thirteen-Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin #13)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • Sharpe's Havoc (Sharpe, #7)
  • The Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower: A Biography of C. S. Forester's Famous Naval Hero
Cecil Scott Forester was the pen name of Cecil Louis Troughton Smith, an English novelist who rose to fame with tales of adventure and military crusades. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, about naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen (1935; filmed in 1951 by John Huston). His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded t ...more
More about C.S. Forester...

Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1)
  • Lieutenant Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #2)
  • Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #3)
  • Hornblower and the Atropos (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #5)
  • Beat to Quarters (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #6)
  • Ship of the Line (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #7)
  • Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #8)
  • Commodore Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #9)
  • Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #10)
  • Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #11)
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1) Lieutenant Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #2) Beat to Quarters (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #6) Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #3) The African Queen