Start by marking “But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  816 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This ground-breaking collection provides hours of enjoyment for the general reader and a wealth of materials needed to develop course units on black women; political theory, literary essays on major writers, guidelines for consciousness-raising about racism, and surveys of black women's contributions to the blues. "Important and innovative."--Feminist Bookstore News
Published January 1st 1993 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about But Some Of Us Are Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But Some Of Us Are Brave

Sister Outsider by Audre LordeBlack Feminist Thought by Patricia Hill CollinsSister Citizen by Melissa V. Harris-PerryAin’t I a Woman by Bell HooksFeminist Theory by Bell Hooks
Black Feminist/Womanist Studies
24th out of 90 books — 37 voters
Zami by Audre LordeAin’t I a Woman by Bell HooksHome Girls by Barbara     SmithThe Womanist Reader by Layli PhillipsBut Some Of Us Are Brave by Gloria T. Hull
Black feminism
5th out of 29 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Tressie Mcphd
I have a complicated history with feminism that is probably not unique for a post-civil rights/black power movement black woman. But, all issues with the word feminism aside, I recognized myself too much in these essays to deny that whether I like it or not, I am constantly inhabiting multiple worlds. If the black man's plight is double-consciousness the black woman's must be a quad-consciousness. Michele Wallace's essay could well be my life save the 15 pounds she actually lost. She ends her es ...more
Craig Cunningham
This book exemplifies the early specifc work done in the area of African American feminism. I loved the book, and have often had the opportunity to read it over and over again. Also, looking at this text as a required reading in my African American History Class. Superb!!!
Andrew
Aug 11, 2013 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book actually was first published in 1982, so that's thirty one years ago. However, this book still has a lot of value and relevance right now. The Title of the book has actually changed but I wish they didn't do that. Basically this book is about black women and it exposes the racism in the feminist movement and the sexism in the black civil rights movement. This book is about the struggle black women endure in a racist and sexist society. The chapters break down all the stereotypes about ...more
Massielita
So many of the points of view expressed in the essays in this book are still applicable and accurate today. Specifically that feminism needs to be intersectional.
Carmen Slaughter
I've had this book for years but ever so often I revisit it. I'm always inspired and amazed when I do. Essential reading for men and women of all backgrounds.
Andi
Amazing. These women wrote stuff that is still so relevant today, brilliantly tackling the intersection of racism and sexism and the unique experiences black women live in our society. There are a lot of different essays with very strong voices analyzing every angle. Must read. Absolutely phenomenal.
Beth
An interesting portrait of the moment when black women's studies was beginning to come into its own...a great book for understanding the historiography of the field in the mid-1980s.
Camilla Lyons
Even thought, I just started to read it. I find the book very in depth with our issues of yesterday and today. I think this book should be on every black woman and men shelves.
Meg
A lot of it is bibliographies and syllabi, advice for classwork and so on. Awesome for that purpose but not a text for a casual reader. I will definitely be using the bibliographies to find more books.
Cara Byrne
An incredibly important collection framing Black women's studies and noting the many unrecognized contributions of Black women in America during the last four hundred years.
Jacqueline Roebuck
an excellent reflection of the gaps that occurred in the feminist movement between european american women and women of color
Ghadah Al_bariqi
Black woman searching for her identity and proving her autonomy.
Superior Jackson
Superior Jackson marked it as to-read
Valborg Guttorp
Valborg Guttorp marked it as to-read
Kelsi Hasden
Kelsi Hasden marked it as to-read
Gari Watkins
Gari Watkins marked it as to-read
Mumei
Mumei marked it as to-read
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
NileReader
NileReader marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Alliah G
Alliah G marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-AmericanFeminist Thought
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color
  • Woman, Native, Other: Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism
  • This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • Alchemy of Race and Rights
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Some of Us Did Not Die: New and Selected Essays
Color, Sex, and Poetry: Three Women Writers of the Harlem Renaissance Healing Heart: Poems, 1973-1988 Give Us Each Day