Start by marking “But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  943 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This ground-breaking collection provides hours of enjoyment for the general reader and a wealth of materials needed to develop course units on black women; political theory, literary essays on major writers, guidelines for consciousness-raising about racism, and surveys of black women's contributions to the blues. "Important and innovative."--Feminist Bookstore News
Published January 1st 1993 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about But Some Of Us Are Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But Some Of Us Are Brave

Sister Outsider by Audre LordeSister Citizen by Melissa V. Harris-PerryBlack Feminist Thought by Patricia Hill CollinsAin't I a Woman by Bell HooksFeminist Theory by Bell Hooks
Black Feminist/Womanist Studies
24th out of 91 books — 40 voters
Zami by Audre LordeAin't I a Woman by Bell HooksHome Girls by Barbara     SmithThe Womanist Reader by Layli PhillipsBut Some Of Us Are Brave by Gloria T. Hull
Black feminism
5th out of 40 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Tressie Mcphd
I have a complicated history with feminism that is probably not unique for a post-civil rights/black power movement black woman. But, all issues with the word feminism aside, I recognized myself too much in these essays to deny that whether I like it or not, I am constantly inhabiting multiple worlds. If the black man's plight is double-consciousness the black woman's must be a quad-consciousness. Michele Wallace's essay could well be my life save the 15 pounds she actually lost. She ends her es ...more
Craig Cunningham
This book exemplifies the early specifc work done in the area of African American feminism. I loved the book, and have often had the opportunity to read it over and over again. Also, looking at this text as a required reading in my African American History Class. Superb!!!
Andrew
Aug 11, 2013 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book actually was first published in 1982, so that's thirty one years ago. However, this book still has a lot of value and relevance right now. The Title of the book has actually changed but I wish they didn't do that. Basically this book is about black women and it exposes the racism in the feminist movement and the sexism in the black civil rights movement. This book is about the struggle black women endure in a racist and sexist society. The chapters break down all the stereotypes about ...more
Massielita
So many of the points of view expressed in the essays in this book are still applicable and accurate today. Specifically that feminism needs to be intersectional.
Carmen Slaughter
I've had this book for years but ever so often I revisit it. I'm always inspired and amazed when I do. Essential reading for men and women of all backgrounds.
Andi
Amazing. These women wrote stuff that is still so relevant today, brilliantly tackling the intersection of racism and sexism and the unique experiences black women live in our society. There are a lot of different essays with very strong voices analyzing every angle. Must read. Absolutely phenomenal.
Beth
An interesting portrait of the moment when black women's studies was beginning to come into its own...a great book for understanding the historiography of the field in the mid-1980s.
Camilla Lyons
Even thought, I just started to read it. I find the book very in depth with our issues of yesterday and today. I think this book should be on every black woman and men shelves.
Cata
Stellar commentary. Insightful for the time when it was originally published and still very a relevant reaction to mainstream middle class straight white feminism.
Meg
A lot of it is bibliographies and syllabi, advice for classwork and so on. Awesome for that purpose but not a text for a casual reader. I will definitely be using the bibliographies to find more books.
Cara Byrne
An incredibly important collection framing Black women's studies and noting the many unrecognized contributions of Black women in America during the last four hundred years.
Jacqueline Roebuck
an excellent reflection of the gaps that occurred in the feminist movement between european american women and women of color
Ghadah Al_bariqi
Black woman searching for her identity and proving her autonomy.
Tinika
Tinika marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Preda Logan
Preda Logan marked it as to-read
Synthia Green
Synthia Green marked it as to-read
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Charla
Charla marked it as to-read
Jay Moore
Jay Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Paula Castro Borsani
Paula Castro Borsani marked it as to-read
Valerie Vaughn-Martin
Valerie Vaughn-Martin marked it as to-read
Cheech&Chong
Cheech&Chong marked it as to-read
Gianna Mosser
Gianna Mosser marked it as to-read
Corinneguest
Corinneguest marked it as to-read
Maryam Khawaja
Maryam Khawaja marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Brianna Barnes
Brianna Barnes marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color
  • Woman, Native, Other: Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color
  • Some of Us Did Not Die: New and Selected Essays
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Alchemy of Race and Rights
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
Color, Sex, and Poetry: Three Women Writers of the Harlem Renaissance Healing Heart: Poems, 1973-1988 Give Us Each Day But Some of Us Are Brave: Black Women's Studies