Start by marking “The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work” as Want to Read:
The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work

The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work

""Purpose"" and ""calling"" seem at first to be grand words, applicable to only a gifted few. But career coach Richard Leider argues that everyone possesses a true calling, as well as the unique talents needed to support it. Filled with useful tools for self-assessment, The Power of Purpose helps readers uncover their own talents and aspirations, and shows how to incorpora ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published May 12th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Purpose

Jan 23, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Leider has spent much of his professional life interviewing older adults over the age of 65 and asking them about their lives. Most people, the author noted, expressed that a feeling of purpose was vitally important to them. The subjects also expressed that they would have been clearer about purpose earlier in their life if they could live it over again.

On the surface, this makes perfect sense. We all want to live for something and for our lives to have meaning. Right? But if so, then wh
Michael James
Apr 04, 2014 Michael James rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to have met Mr. Leider as he led our work team through a powerful discussion on leadership. His assessment was equally as profound. Later I realized that he was a master of disguise as he was able to introduce very spiritual and meaning of life concepts into business curriculum.

His book was fundemental to my personal growth journey!
Jeff Lampson
Richard is a friend of the Hudson Institute and has evolved this inspiring material since 1985 and has provided strong examples based on many interviews.Many helpful lists and assessments to deepen meaning in your life and work. I find that I am drawn back to this book each year over the past five years around the Holidays.Enjoy it!
Aug 30, 2012 Sieran rated it liked it
This book reinforces my conviction that finding and sticking to your Passion and Purpose, is of paramount importance to our lives! It certainly makes us feel much happier and fulfilled.

The greatest message of "Power of Purpose" for me is that to do something meaningful, aim to help other people instead of always thinking about yourself. And help people not because of a moral duty or obligation, but because this makes you happy and gives you a purpose in life---it's the joy of giving to others an
Purpose. Responsibility. Calling.
These are words that have always been a bundle of weight on my back,which I have never cared to think about because when I do, I am clueless. So I took this book with hopes that there might be something relevant to discovering my purpose. I was wronged. I could give a better lecture on Purpose than this book. I am tired of reading about the ultimate purpose being compassion and love. It can be your purpose while you are aged but in this material world, its simpl
Angela Dahlberg
I wish I could say I finished the book knowing what my life's purpose is, but it was still a good read to get me thinking about it.
Jul 31, 2016 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has definitely changed my view of life. First chapter is quite difficult for me to comprehend, it's very philosophical I'd say. But after all it was totally worth reading. After reading this book I realized that sometimes, for some of us, purpose is something that we have to decide ourselves, We do not wait, we do not keep looking for it. It is our life. We run things, keep going, and take control. Be useful to others and live passionately. For years I wondered what I'm doing here. Wha ...more
Yusuf Refay
الكتاب ينقصه تكوين الأهداف والرد على التساؤلات
Irene Kolman
Mar 18, 2015 Irene Kolman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring, can't put it down
Dec 26, 2014 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, gild, spiritual
A found a few nice insights sprinkled in here, but at the end of the day, the subtitle writes a check that the text doesn't cash: "Find meaning, live longer, better"? That's kind of over promising.

And too often the examples of people finding meaning are quitting there jobs to run charity races for cancer or something. That's nice, but I was hoping for something a little more practical.
Jan 02, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read
In my search for meaning in my life, I picked up this book. Purposeful living is my desire, and serving is my mission. Time to get reading so I can fine tune my purpose and blossom to be all the God would have me be.
Aug 28, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Four friends are in the process of following the study guide for this book. We've just finished Session III and are ready to prepare for Session IV. Valuable insight is produced working together.
Chris Bolding
Oct 20, 2015 Chris Bolding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More reflection than prescription but a worthwhile read.
Mar 23, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard is simply a living legend !
Oct 06, 2011 Bert rated it it was amazing
Reread Oct. 5, 2011
Michelle A
Michelle A marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Parya marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Matin MB
Matin MB rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Nohelani rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Henry rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
David Anuyah
David Anuyah marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Colleen is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2016
Bellavida rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Maitha.O marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
  • اضغط الزر و انطلق
  • Miss Pell Never Misspells: More Cool Ways to Remember Stuff
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • 30 طريقة لتوليد الأفكار الإبداعية
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • الساحر المجنون
  • Instant Rapport
  • Promissory Payback (Jane Perry)
  • The Life Giver: "...But I Come that You Might Have Life and Have it in Abundance." John 10:10
  • Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis: A Scientific Analysis
  • The Sun Kings: The Unexpected Tragedy of Richard Carrington and the Tale of How Modern Astronomy Began
  • عظماء ومشاهير معاقون غيروا مجرى التاريخ  كل ذى عاهة جبار)
  • Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success
  • Helplessness: On Depression, Development, and Death
  • Monday Morning Mentoring: Ten Lessons to Guide You Up the Ladder
  • The Man Who Tapped the Secrets of the Universe
  • Memoirs, Vol 2: Years of Trial and Hope (Leaders of Our Times)
  • Zen Miracles: Finding Peace in an Insane World
Richard’s ten books, including three best sellers, have sold over one million copies and have been translated into 20 languages. Repacking Your Bags and The Power of Purpose are considered classics in the personal development field. Richard’s “inventures” in writing books have taken him to events with readers in all 50 states, every Canadian province, and 15 countries.

As co-author of Life Reimagin
More about Richard J. Leider...

“A life purpose is what I’m meant to do and be while I’m here on the earth.” 1 likes
“People with a sense of purpose have learned to let life question them and have moved the focus of their attention and concern away from themselves to others. Purpose, then, is not a job or a role or a goal. It is the belief that our lives, our part in the whole of things, truly matters. Having a profound sense of who we are, where we came from, and where we’re going, we choose to believe that mattering matters. It is thus a mindset—a choice. It is first and foremost the choice to choose ”life” despite the circumstances we find ourselves in. It is the choice to bring who we are—our gifts and energies—to whatever we are doing. Purpose is a cradle-to-grave, 24/7, moment-to-moment choice in our daily lives.” 1 likes