Start by marking “The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2

The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Starman II Omnibus #2)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,263 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The classic super-hero series STARMAN, starring a Gen-X super-hero, is re-presented in high quality format.

The super-heroic legacy of Starman is renewed in these stories, in which Jack Knight - antiques collector and dealer - inherits the name and powers of his father's old Starman identity from his older brother, who has been assassinated.

In this volume, Jack's disturbin
Published March 3rd 2009 by DC Comics (first published January 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2

Dan Schwent
As I've said before, the best comics have an underlying theme. Starman has always been about family, with Jack trying to fill the shoes of both his father and dead brother

This, the second Omnibus, contains Starman 17-29, Showcase '95 12, Showcase '96 4-5, and Starman Annual one. It also contains two of my favorite stories in the whole series, namely the intro of Bobo Benetti, a super-powered bankrobber from the 40's who inadvertantly becomes a hero, and the one where Jack teams with Wesley Dodds
Randy Lander
After re-reading this recently, I think that this book, only about twenty issues into the series' run, might represent the pinnacle of Starman. Which is not to say that the rest of the run is bad (although I am in the camp that views Tony Harris as the definitive Starman artist, even if he wasn't the artist for the majority of the series' run), but just that I don't know if it ever got as good as the stories in this issue.

The "Sand and Stars" arc which showed us the modern day Wesley Dodds and D
William Thomas
After the strongest first year of any comic book I've ever read, Starman volume 2 flounders a bit by interrupting the continuity with a few too many interludes. Although the separate single issues that act as these interludes are themselves extremely strong, they felt completely unnecessary and made me anxious to get back to the Starman story that had been built up in the previous volume.

If that's really my only complaint, I have no complaint. This book loses none of its heart or indie feel. It
Sesana
There are two major themes in Starman, as I see it: family and nostalgia. And it's used very well in this large collection, in the story with the Wesley Dodds version of Sandman, in the Christmas story that avoids cheese, even in the Shade stories. Shade threatens in every panel to go completely over the top, and he hasn't quite gotten there yet. I've seen this referred to as some of the best of Starman, and I can certainly see that.
Kirsten
I have basically one and only one beef with this book, which is that it doesn't say "Omnibus Volume 2" on the cover, just on the inside page, so I thought I was getting volume 1. Whoops. Oh well. Otherwise, this comic is awesome, and I don't think it gets as many mad props as it deserves. If you love superheroes who are also human (but not totally screwed up in a psychotic kind of way), this might be right up your alley. (Although my favorite character is Shade, who is basically a sociopath, but ...more
The_Mad_Swede
This beautiful second of six hardcover volumes of James Robinson's much talked about comic Starman (the second volume of that title) from the mid-90s collects #17–29 and Annual #1 as well as Showcase '95 #12 and Showcase '96 #4–5. Once again primarily pencilled by Tony Harris, but with a lot of additional pencillers contributing, the volume certainly delivers fully on the promise of the first one.

It opens up with "Incident in an Old Haunt" from Showcase '95 #12, a brief the Shade story, which he
Lissibith
Let's start this off with a tl;dr - I don't think this collection is as good as the first collection, but I still think it's a fantastic collection, stories full of heart and reality and a consideration of what the best (and worst) in a human can be. The art continues to be vibrant and pretty awesome, with a fantastic style that really sets it apart from anything else on my shelf.

Okay, that out of the way... (view spoiler)
Aaron
I'm starting to have a better understanding of what everyone likes so much about this series. The first volume I found incredibly tedious, loaded with lengthy dialogue boxes and fairly boring, surface-level character work, but this one (eventually) kicks it up and moves out of that swamp.

I think part of the allure here is that Jack Knight is basically a comic book nerd. He never says as much, but he's obsessed with "collectibles," has a deep love of heroes of the past, and dresses eccentrically.
Shannon Appelcline
Incident in an Old Haunt (Showcase ‘95 #12). A super-short Shade piece, but it’s nice both to remind us of his core nature and to contrast it with a super-demon [8/10].

Encounters (17). There’s a lot to like in this Day in the Life issue, but I think it’s the final couple of pages and Shade’s attitude therein that really make it shine [8/10].

Times past: First Joust (18). This is interesting mostly for showing how Ted interacted with Opal City in his time. We didn’t *really* need a full issue to s
Fizzgig76
Reprints Starman #17-29, Annual #1, Showcase '95 #12, and Showcase '96 #4-5. Starman teams with Wesley Dodd and fights a demonic poster for the souls it has collected. The neat thing about Starman is that it feels very weighty. The character has a long history, and Robinson often dipped into the history to make the stories interesting. The cross generational story about his father's encounter with the Sandman and his encounter with an older Wesley Dodd was especially interesting at the time it w ...more
Johann_tor
Most of the issues collected here are an improvement on those of the previous volume, the writer obviously feeling more confident and less inclined to slather on the verbiage. It helps that the promise of pulp revivalism is somewhat fulfilled and a stricter adherence to the pulp tropes shifts the focus on action rather than dialogue. However the later issues descend to the level of the first volume, where the writer tried hard to prove as "interesting" as Gaiman and Morrison, but failed to find ...more
Matt Sadorf
Robinson and the artists that illustrate his scripts further the mythology of Starman, and I fall further in love with it all. This volume was the first with material that I had never seen before, and it was a joy to read and experience.

I truly love Opal City and watching how things unfold within it's limits, but of course, we can't forget neighboring Turk County. The areas where the adventures take place have stories of their own, and Robinson masterfully shares those with us as we make our wa
Ian Levenstein
FINALLY finished this. Now I can move forward to the next volumes.
Mark
The nice hardback edition with the slick paper is good - but I'm still only so-so on the storyline. There are some great moments (the Christmas story with Pete the Santa) and some interesting plot twists (the poster, the Sandman storyline, the letter from Mist 2.0) but on the whole I'm not in love with the characters.

I'm contrasting this with the way I felt about the extended cast of Alan Moore's run on the Swamp Thing or the Legion of Super Heroes (like Levitz, prefer Giffen). Here, I'm just w
John
Mar 27, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
It's clear to see why people were talking about this in the 90's. It touches on some of the introspective themes and styles that made the likes of Gaiman and Moore stand out, but feels a little more self-effacing, a little more closely grounded to classic superhero fun. I enjoyed it enough that I will be diving directly into volume 3, and ordered volume 4 immediately so that I wouldn't have to wait when 3 was done.
Matt
This one's got some of my least favorite stories (First Joust and Superfreaks & Backstabbers), but it's also got three of my absolute favorites (the Talking with David issue, Sand & Stars, and The Return of Bobo). Excellent stuff, and absolutely worth reading.
Ned Leffingwell
The writing in this series is really good, and the mix of artists is enjoyable. I enjoyed the theme of old mixed with the new, of the past working with the modern. There are some great appearances by Dr. Fate, the Shade, and the Golden Age Sandman.
Matt
I can't say enough how much I love these omnibus editions. The structure appears to have been well-planned, framing two larger stories within great done-in-ones to make for a satisfying singular reading experience within the larger narrative. Great stuff.
Steve
not only is Starman one of my most favorite comic series ever, but smack dab in the middle of this volume is one of my most favorite storylines ever featuring two of my most favorite superheroes ever, Wesley Dodds Sandman and Jack Knight Starman.
Pturingan
Ok. I get it now. I understand now why this series was many people's favorite comic in the 1990s.

The Sandman team-up storyline was the best part of this volume. Made me want to resume collecting the Sandman Mystery Theater volumes.
Antoinette Palmieri
I liked the 1st one better, it had a better flowing story line.
This one just had too many things going on here and there and I was loosing interest in some of the characters.
Ryan Haupt
Dense, nuanced, varied and gorgeous. I read it in trades but these Omnibus editions have been a beautiful blessing. The extras alone are arguably worth buying it again.
Shan
Eeek! I'm going to need more Starman after this is done, but I don't think there are any more omnibi...

I just really wanted to say "omnibi."
Neal
Still don't feel this is entirely living up to its reputation, but I enjoyed this volume much more than the first one.
Tim
Jun 24, 2009 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This volume has almost too much reverence for old DC characters. The issues with the Sandman were mind-numbingly boring.
Declan
I just adore these books. As well written and as human a superhero story as I've ever read.
Sam Cavanagh
Jul 31, 2009 Sam Cavanagh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The Wicked Inclination is the best comic book I have ever read
Zachary Stewart
Very good, but not quite as good as the first one.
Jackie
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • Echo: The Complete Edition
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 21: Demon Lair II
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...
Batman: Face the Face The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America) Starman, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father