Start by marking “The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House” as Want to Read:
The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House

The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  558 ratings  ·  79 reviews
What kind of evil lives at the Union Screaming House?

In this true and terrifying firsthand account, Steven LaChance reveals how he and his three children were driven from their Union, Missouri, home by demonic attackers. LaChance chronicles how the house's relentless supernatural predators infest those around them. He consults paranormal investigators, psychics, and priest
Published September 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Uninvited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uninvited

Mary
Do not be concerned if you're reading this book alone on a dark, stormy night: you'll only be facing mundane details and useless anecdotes with just a few "spooky" moments spaced across them. You may have to end up sleeping with the light on, however, but only because this book will put you to sleep.
Lanie Sanders
two stars because the first time I read this I was so freaked out that I didn't want to go outside even though I had to bring my dog inside. the my danged mother turned the porch light off on me trying to explain that the dark is nothing to be afraid of.

fuck that. I am not - repeat, NOT - afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of what can be hiding in the dark. totally different. like people aren't afraid of heights. they're scared of falling.

Anyway, yeah the first go round was scary. I was so young and
Cari
I really enjoyed this book, despite it giving me the major creeps. I've had some paranormal experiences myself and when reading about what Steven's family went through, it was easy to imagine myself in their place. It was cool reading a first hand account of something that happened locally that I'd been hearing tales of for quite some time. In the book, Steve and Helen also visit the Lemp mansion in St. Louis, a place I've always found fascinating. It also made me wonder if perhaps I had met Hel ...more
Angie
The story itself was interesting, as I love a good haunt. However, the writing was awful. At the end of each chapter, the author would say something along the lines - "I didn't know what I was in for next," or "the nightmare was just beginning," or "I had to hurry and save her or I was going to lose her." It was redundantly redundant! And at one point, when the woman is overcome by the house and goes to try and kill her husband, then calls to tell the author all about it... his response - "sit t ...more
Victoria
This book’s frightening cover drove me to pick it up, and I quickly recognized this story from one featured on the Discovery Channel’s A Haunting program. While this wasn’t the most frightening story featured on that show (that dubious honor goes to the episode with that little boy and his imaginary “friend” named Man), it was a memorable one, so I decided to get the “behind-the-scenes” scoop by reading LaChance’s memoir. Told from his perspective (but with the help of an English teacher), this ...more
Tanya
I have read a number of books on hauntings and found them interesting, but none has creeped me out like this one. Everyone has different beliefs when it comes to the supernatural, but if you believe evil exists then you probably also believe that it can manifest itself in some form or another. This house, if all is true, has some powerful demons in it. I am afraid that I would have left that house MUCH earlier than any of the occupants did. The argument for not leaving is "I can't afford to," bu ...more
Diedre Poellnitz
This dives into a story which from outside is so unbelievable as you read each page. To face something that you can't see is so unsettling to even comprehend but it happens everyday to many...it just makes you think that it is not only the physical dangers you have to worry about but what is hidden in the shadows....this story takes you to a place where you will feel unnerved but a story I think is important everyone to be aware of the unclean invading the good souls in this world.
Kevin
This was a pretty scary book. It had me looking over my shoulder every once in a while. I got the book from the library and my wife borrowed it the first day. She read the first 70 pages in one sitting. I came in to our bedroom and she gave me this look, like a “your nuts” look. She said “That is one of the scariest things I have ever read. You sure you wanna read it?” It is coming up on Halloween, of course ;-)

The book deals with a rental property in Union Missouri that is haunted. Many people
Amber
Loved it! I will be reading more from this author very soon. I couldn't put it down.
Lady Book Voodoo & Hoodoo Review
Lady Zombie Journal Review

Steven Lachance was this nice guy who ran in to a crap load of some case of what I like to call crap luck (This is putting it mildly).Here this poor guy thought he was coming home to his bestfriend/wife and 3 kids.Home to his happy and content life. Only to find her ,his wife packed and ready to leave. When she told him ,I'm sorry Steven .Its not you ,its me. I told you that I didnt want to be a mother. Here this heartless woman leaves this man heart broken,to raise t
Heidi Floryance
I was just cruising through Barnes and Noble and happened upon a Halloween inspired table. Remembering the book Amityville Horror and how it was kinda fun to be spooked, I thought I would try another book. I grabbed this book and was anxious to start it.

I found it very interesting with plenty of 'spook factor' and made me ponder the existence of 'evil' and life after death.

The only thing that was annoying was in the writing style where there were plenty of leading thoughts (i.e. what happened
Brandon
This book isn't really about a haunted house. It's really about what an amazing guy, hero, martyr, LaChance is. It starts off kind of creepy and then LaChance moves out of the house. The rest of the book is actually about incidents that happen to a woman who moves into the house. As LaChance will tell you, those events were EXTREMELY HARD on him, Steven LaChance. At one point, he describes some absolutely crazy ghost photos that were supposedly taken at the house, but they aren't shown in the bo ...more
Sheila
This was a fast read with a pretty high creep factor. The beginning and middle are fantastic, and are very well written. The ending seemed like it was a bit labored, but nonetheless, The Uninvited is an interesting case and an enjoyable book.

I have two issues: the author is a little preachy with the 'you have to have specifically Christian faith to get through a supernatural situation' and he is totally shocked that his wife leaves him when she didn't want kids and he did. They had three, and s
Jamie Parkest
This is a pretty good book as far as "true haunting" books go. Steven LaChance does a good job of making you feel just as frustrated and scared for his children as he was. This is the story of a single dad who found a great deal on a house that seemed to be perfect for him and his kids...but from the beginning something isn't right. the landlord won't even meet him at the house after dark. LaChance finally has to take matters into his own hands after the paranormal activity escalates and the hou ...more
James
I've read a few books on this subject now. Many have a tremendous amount of typos, terrible grammar, and argue in favor of highly improbable events using insane logic.

They were all better than this book, because at least those authors were true believers. From the first page this book reeks of hyperbole and outright fabrication. Every person is a saint or a sinner, a paper-thin characterization of a real person. Either they are the author's salvation or damnation, he sees everyone (usually) as
Julie
A quick, easy, terrifying read. Obviously his first effort based on the writing, but a worthwhile read. Could have used another heavy edit, the pacing was a bit off and there were more than a few jarring moments. I personally would have taken a more psychological and scientific route in the wrap up, but that's my opinion, not a true critique. This fits the genre well, is really a nice read overall and I look forward to the next offering, hopefully one with a stronger edit and more practiced styl ...more
Reese
Read in one sitting. Far from masterfully written, but a good creepy tale nonetheless. Mr. LaChance claims it to be a true firsthand account of his time in a house haunted by demons in a small Missouri town, and while I found its authenticity somewhat questionable and its Catholic leaning somewhat annoying, these are two pretty unavoidable themes in a book of this nature and one cannot really fault him for it. Note: this book is entirely unrelated to the forthcoming film of the same name.
Kelly
This is a fascinating and often painful story that is told with sincerity. The writing style gets a bit annoying at times (e.g., he describes at least 3 people as "walking to the beat of their own drum" and uses cheap page-turner tactics), so you kind of have to imagine it as someone telling you a verbal story rather than interpreting it as a written gem. Nonetheless, I read it all in two sittings since it was extremely compelling to me as a fan of "true haunting" stories.
Tasha Luke
I got two messages from this book...one being the author describes how his life had hit rock bottom. He described how he used the most painful point of his life to change things for the better. He now enjoys a very successful career in television, an author, public speaker, and advocate for those with extreme paranormal problems. Being many of his experiences convey supernatural and diabolical connotations makes this story very interesting and entertaining to me. His private and family life stor ...more
BookActivist
Well, let me just say this book utterly scared the CRAP out of me! The things that happened in this book was just almost too much for me to comprehend. I wanted to pretend as though they could not and did not exist. I can't even begin to imagine how those who actually experienced these events felt, but me I was running in terror from the book all the while not being able to put it down. The writing was smooth making the book an easy read.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
Ever know your in the house alone and feel like someone is watching you? Ever see something out of the corner of your eye, and when you look nothing is there? You look for rational explanations to these things, but for some it becomes clear that this is not something that can be easily explained away; which is exaclty what happened to Steven LaChance when he moved his family into what he thought was the right house for the right price.
Melanie
I dont generally get "freaked out" by very much, I love everything paranormal and it takes quite a bit to get me feeling a bit uneasy... well this book did it for me, I read it on my Kobo with the lights out.... well that lasted about 5 minutes before I had to turn the lights on.

This story is well written, Steven really gets into your mind and gets it racing.

I would recommend this to anyone who'd like a good "creepy" read!
Shawna
I knew from the cover that this book would scare the bejeezes out of me, and yet I just couldn't seem to help myself! I took the darn thing home and read it alone at night....what was I thinking?!? The end envokes freaky scenes from "The Exorcist" with a little old church-going woman possessed and screaming every horrible profanity you can imagine. It still gives me chills!
Lyndsay
Not bad! I thought it was a little jumpy...some chapters only a page and a half! Good true haunted house story. A man and his two children rent a beautiful old home, where they are essentially ran out of the house by ghosts/demons/what-not. Then in turn he goes back to try and help a new renter & her family when he hears of her having the same problem.
Theresa
I read somewhere that this is the kind of book you read with your coffee at breakfast because it's so terrifying.

After reading it, I can tell you that is the case. I can't vouch for whether or not this story is actually true, but I can tell you I couldn't put it down and it scared the bejesus outta me!

Steve Parcell
Jesus these people living in haunted houses are brave and this guy had two little kids with him and nobody but his parents to help and then tried to help the next tenant. Truly terrifying and Mr LaChance you are far braver than I. A riveting read and done in less than 3 days.
Tracy
GOOD book! True story and not too far from my hometown! He's a great guy who has told his story in this book. His is just wrote another book called "Crazy" which I can't wait for it to get done at the publishers! He helps alot of people out with the unexplained!
Angie Rhodes
I bought this for my kindle,and being poorly in bed,devoured it. It was interesting,captivating,and scary! Steve laChance tells his story,of the house,he and his three children live in,,If this was made into a film,I would watch it,with the lights on!
theghostwriter
very well-written account of one man's haunted home that spanned both his family's stay there as well as another. this was also featured on discovery channel's "a haunting" series.
Jessica.kelly Kelly
I loved this book with a passion how it talks about how he had all the problems with his family. Also how he helps the woman helen get through what ever was in the house.
  • The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • The Myrtles Plantation: The True Story of America's Most Haunted House
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting