Start by marking “The Run (Will Lee, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Run (Will Lee, #5)

The Run (Will Lee #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,701 ratings  ·  72 reviews
A respected senator from Georgia, Will Lee has aspirations of more.But a cruel stroke of fate thrusts him onto the national stage well before he expects, and long before he's ready, for a national campaign.

The road to the White House, however, will be more treacherous -- and deadly -- than Will and his intelligent, strikingly beautiful wife, Kate, an associate director in
Published March 6th 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Run

Frank Smith
Another great novel in the Stuart Woods world and one that keeps you interested throughout, is never too predictable, brings back a lot of characters from the last Will Lee novel [Grass Roots], but doesn't do so at the expense of story or new twists and really makes great use of all.
If there were any complaints I had to make about this book, the only real complaint I can manage, is that because I really am interested in the Stuart Woods world books [various series overlap each other, with chara
May Wong
This was a fast read. Too fast for the characters to be fully formed - but this is a thriller.

The main character, Will Lee, is an honest (rare) Senator running for office. His wife Kate is "strikingly" beautiful (so cliché) and brilliant - although her job, (which could have been very relevant,) seemed to have been added as an afterthought. Her level of participation in his campaign was also unrealistic. But, they had a happy marriage - how unusual!

The twist in the story of the villain was too
Mike French
Another page turner in the Will Lee series!
A political thriller for people who do not really follow politics

Read by Ken Howard
6 hours

Ken Howard (most famous for his TV show The White Shadow ) narrates this 6 hour abridgment of The Run , a below par political thriller.

Filled with undeveloped story threads that promise something interesting but rarely delivers (the VP has Alzheimer, militias are out to assassinate the candidate, the candidate's wife is a bigwig in the CIA, there's dirt on the candidate - all for naught) The Run is a grea
Brian Rueger
I would think that a seasoned writer like Woods would get some authorities to read his manuscript before publishing; after all, this is not Hollywood! I don't mind it with an author creates an object in his/her fiction - like Dale Brown's super-B-52. However, when they talk about real life entities, they should get it right.

There is no such rank in the US Army as "Senior Master Sargent." The "Senior Master Sargent" rank is of the US Air Force. The equivalent rank in the US Army is a "Master Sarg
Jared Whitefield
This terrible book full of cliches and stereotypes has an utter lack of character development and descriptive scene setting. It offers nothing to reader except a story telling that consists of "and then this happened and then this". With it's easy vocabulary, non-immersive, non-thought provoking story it belongs on the New York Times best seller list.
Will Lee's harrowing path to the Presidency. Will Lee begins his long trek to the Presidency fighting SC Sen Wallace, George Kiel and Zeke Tennant. Freddie is determined to control everything politically, while Zeke stakes out Will for assassination. Will's few foibles come back to visit him in the form of Charlene Joiner, who wants to keep her old boyfriend from being fried in Georgia's electric chair. The collapse and death of the sitting President and encroaching senility of the VP make for a ...more
Will Henry Lee IV is running for President and someone is out to stop him. Lots of narrative but I still enjoyed the story. Brought in several characters that we met in the Stone Barrington series.
Senator Will Lee is propelled into running for the Presidency of the United States. This is a kind of interesting look into a credible, if light-weight, story of our political system. There is a threat from white supremacy militia thrown in for good measure. It's not a heavy read but it worked to the end. The most interesting part of the book is a rather lengthy Author's Note at the end. For 2 and a half pages, Woods outlines that he will not answer postal mail but will answer email if it deals ...more
I enjoyed this book. I haven't read any previous books in the series, but the author didn't require previous character knowledge. This book reads quickly and really kept my attention. Not a serious read but not fluff by any means.
1st of his books I've read.. Not bad.. Politics at it's best lol.....That wheeling and dealing goes on at all levels of govt. elected and appointed....
I try to rate/evaluate books honestly. Stars must be earned, not given out like Halloween candy. This read is worthy of a good, solid 4 star rating.
Mary Lou
Fast paced. Plot twists not predictable. not offensive.
Philip Cook
I wouldn't have waited so long to give one of the Stuart Woods series's other than the Stone Barrington series a try if I would have known they were this good. Since I have already read almost all of the Stone Barrington series I felt aquainted with many of the characters that came up throughout the book. Then when they mentioned the small town of Delano I realized that these characters had all popped up in other Woods novels. I really like how Wood's is able to create an entire fictional realit ...more
Irl Newham
Liked the politicking in this one.
Mike Calhoon
Will Lee#5: For President
Will Lee is a U.S. Senator who decides to run for President on short notice. His decision is rushed when the current President falls into a coma, and the VP is showing signs of Alzheimers. Then a militia group sends in a lone assassin to kill Will if he gets his party's nomination.

This could have been a suspenseful book, even a thriller, but it wasn't. If you like the TV show "24" or political fiction, you might like this.
This is the first Stuart Woods book I have read. From what I have seen on Goodreads, the main character is a recurring figure and is the featured character in one of Woods' series. I did not know this until midway through the book. I enjoyed the story line - and the pace of it - and think the story stands well on its own. That said, I do want to go back and read the books on the series leading up to this one.
Will Lee is a senator from Georgia when he learns a secret that could change history. Then the President of the United States falls ill and everything changes. It is election year and the whole race is thrown into turmoil when the Vice-President (and acting President) announces that he will not be running. The rest of the story is about the campaign and crazies that literally come out of the woods.
Susan Adkins
This book is about the election of Will Lee as President of the United States. As usual, there are problems from the very beginning. The President is in a coma, the Vice-President has the onset of Altzheimers, and Will's past may be coming back to haunt him. If the information put forth about running for political office is accurate, then I now understand more about the inside of the political arena.
I was not aware that this book is part of a series, focused on the Will Lee character; doubt that I'll go out of my way to get the other books. In "The Run", the storyline plodded along through the first half of the book. When the characters and plot were finally developed, the action picked up and the book was much more enjoyable and entertaining - but not all that excitiing.
Jan 23, 2014 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jim by: Previous novels
Good novel.
Ralph McEwen
The novel starts pretty slowly but it is necessary for the rest of the story. After page 110 it really picks up and is an engaging read to the finish. I really like the protagonist and his wife. The way the other politicians in the story never seem evil just very bent to their own ends. This book will now be released at
Jennifer Has IC
Good book. Keeps u hooked in until the end. I like the fact that the main character is named Will Lee for obvious reasons but Stuart Woods has the uncanny ability to pull u into his world. Will Lee's world is one of intrigue and normal folk. A great read to take ur mind off ur own troubles for a bit.
Kim Sasso
awful. awful. awful. I want to love Stuart Woods 'cause he's from Georgia...maybe its the narrator? I will try a different book and not do audio next time. Cause this is already awful. awful. awful. DNF
Harry Lane
I seldom read a book for a second time, but found this one to be nearly as good on the second read as it was the first. Of course, I was able to remember the general plot outline, and many of the scenes and still I thoroughly enjoyed Woods' storytelling. His Will Lee series is the best he's done.
An interesting story of a Senator's run for the Presidency of the United State. The many pitfalls and people who will do most anything to have their way. But he still manages to have a decent campaign even though others would like him to fall on his face, or at least under their influence.
re-listended to book on tape 1-22-2015
still 5 stars

10-1-2013 bookon tape

thoughtI read it but I thoroughly enjoyed this political - presidential bid fiction.
much better than reality.
although, the bad guys are pretty smarmy and corrupt in the book - does lend itself to realism.
Robyn Cleaves
I recommend this series. I enjoyed this book.

Other authors that I like:
James Patterson: Women's Murder Club.
Janet Evanovich
J.A. Knrath: Jack Daniels Series
Lisa Lutz: Spellmans Series.
Stuart Woods: Stone Barrington Series
  • The Red Fox
  • The Final Cut (Francis Urquhart #3)
  • Rising Phoenix (Mark Beamon, #1)
  • Works of William Shakespeare
  • Bodies Electric
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Vicious Circle
  • Wild Justice
  • Watch Me
  • Sweepers
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • Day of the Dead (Walker Family, #3)
  • The Goddaughter (Gina Gallo, #1)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Will Lee (7 books)
  • Chiefs (Will Lee, #1)
  • Run Before the Wind (Will Lee, #2)
  • Deep Lie (Will Lee, #3)
  • Grass Roots (Will Lee, #4)
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Mounting Fears (Will Lee, #7)
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)