Start by marking “The Run (Will Lee, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Run (Will Lee, #5)

The Run (Will Lee #5)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,121 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
A respected senator from Georgia, Will Lee has aspirations of more.But a cruel stroke of fate thrusts him onto the national stage well before he expects, and long before he's ready, for a national campaign.

The road to the White House, however, will be more treacherous -- and deadly -- than Will and his intelligent, strikingly beautiful wife, Kate, an associate director in
Published March 6th 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 1995)

Jared
Jul 14, 2015 Jared rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This terrible book full of cliches and stereotypes has an utter lack of character development and descriptive scene setting. It offers nothing to reader except a story telling that consists of "and then this happened and then this". With it's easy vocabulary, non-immersive, non-thought provoking story it belongs on the New York Times best seller list.
Mike French
Nov 14, 2012 Mike French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another page turner in the Will Lee series!
Greer Andjanetta
Jun 01, 2017 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it
One of SW's earlier books in the Will Lee series, it is the usual interesting story with likeable familiar characters (for readers of the series) and a plot that keeps the reader reading and ends too soon, leaving the reader wanting more.
Virna
Jun 20, 2017 Virna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this one. The story is too boring.
Deborah
Mar 01, 2017 Deborah rated it liked it
The lengthy campaign was boring. There was very little to hold the reader's interest.
Harvey J Putterbaugh
Dewey-Truman Redux

Back room, bed room shenanigans, candidate in harm's way, and a mercurial electorate... more of the usual political riff-raff (Clinton as a womanizer with p*ss poor taste) except with some ethics presented in this fictional rendition... perhaps for comic relief.

For Stone Barrington fans, additional characters are added to the spectacular one heretofore to mesh the nexus together although that protagonist does not appear yet. More added next...?

Enjoy...

Dale
Jun 30, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A political thriller for people who do not really follow politics

Read by Ken Howard
6 hours

Ken Howard (most famous for his TV show The White Shadow ) narrates this 6 hour abridgment of The Run , a below par political thriller.

Filled with undeveloped story threads that promise something interesting but rarely delivers (the VP has Alzheimer, militias are out to assassinate the candidate, the candidate's wife is a bigwig in the CIA, there's dirt on the candidate - all for naught) The Run is a grea
Frank Smith
May 07, 2015 Frank Smith rated it really liked it
Another great novel in the Stuart Woods world and one that keeps you interested throughout, is never too predictable, brings back a lot of characters from the last Will Lee novel [Grass Roots], but doesn't do so at the expense of story or new twists and really makes great use of all.
If there were any complaints I had to make about this book, the only real complaint I can manage, is that because I really am interested in the Stuart Woods world books [various series overlap each other, with chara
Andrea
Nov 25, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently become a fan of Stuart Woods and have read a number of his books. The Run is Lee #5, and covers a period of at least 8-10 since the last Lee book Grass Roots, publ in 1989.
Will Lee is running for the Democratic
Party to become POTUS. He and Kate were married 2 weeks after being elected Senator in Grass Roots. Many characters from that book make a repeat appearance including Charlene Joiner, who is now a Hollywood star.
One problem with reading Woods' novels is that if you skip arou
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Will Lee's harrowing path to the Presidency. Will Lee begins his long trek to the Presidency fighting SC Sen Wallace, George Kiel and Zeke Tennant. Freddie is determined to control everything politically, while Zeke stakes out Will for assassination. Will's few foibles come back to visit him in the form of Charlene Joiner, who wants to keep her old boyfriend from being fried in Georgia's electric chair. The collapse and death of the sitting President and encroaching senility of the VP make for a ...more
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it did not like it
Senator Will Lee is propelled into running for the Presidency of the United States. This is a kind of interesting look into a credible, if light-weight, story of our political system. There is a threat from white supremacy militia thrown in for good measure. It's not a heavy read but it worked to the end. The most interesting part of the book is a rather lengthy Author's Note at the end. For 2 and a half pages, Woods outlines that he will not answer postal mail but will answer email if it deals ...more
George
Oct 05, 2016 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Great story, even for a non political scientist. Easy to read and kept my attention with multiple plot lines. Exciting constitutional thriller with a sickly POTUS and fore knowledge by some but not all. The plotlet with the Hollywood starlet was a little annoying; she couldn't get our hero to do a non political act and finally slept with the Georgia Governor to make it happen...that was too Stone Barrington and not up to Will Lee standards. Additionally, there are some other small errors of rese ...more
May Wong
May 05, 2014 May Wong rated it liked it
This was a fast read. Too fast for the characters to be fully formed - but this is a thriller.

The main character, Will Lee, is an honest (rare) Senator running for office. His wife Kate is "strikingly" beautiful (so cliché) and brilliant - although her job, (which could have been very relevant,) seemed to have been added as an afterthought. Her level of participation in his campaign was also unrealistic. But, they had a happy marriage - how unusual!

The twist in the story of the villain was too
Philip Cook
May 01, 2011 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have waited so long to give one of the Stuart Woods series's other than the Stone Barrington series a try if I would have known they were this good. Since I have already read almost all of the Stone Barrington series I felt aquainted with many of the characters that came up throughout the book. Then when they mentioned the small town of Delano I realized that these characters had all popped up in other Woods novels. I really like how Wood's is able to create an entire fictional realit ...more
Brian Rueger
May 13, 2015 Brian Rueger rated it really liked it
I would think that a seasoned writer like Woods would get some authorities to read his manuscript before publishing; after all, this is not Hollywood! I don't mind it with an author creates an object in his/her fiction - like Dale Brown's super-B-52. However, when they talk about real life entities, they should get it right.

There is no such rank in the US Army as "Senior Master Sargent." The "Senior Master Sargent" rank is of the US Air Force. The equivalent rank in the US Army is a "Master Sarg
Diane
Feb 07, 2008 Diane rated it liked it
Will Lee is a U.S. Senator who decides to run for President on short notice. His decision is rushed when the current President falls into a coma, and the VP is showing signs of Alzheimers. Then a militia group sends in a lone assassin to kill Will if he gets his party's nomination.

This could have been a suspenseful book, even a thriller, but it wasn't. If you like the TV show "24" or political fiction, you might like this.
Arlene
Will Lee is a senator from Georgia when he learns a secret that could change history. Then the President of the United States falls ill and everything changes. It is election year and the whole race is thrown into turmoil when the Vice-President (and acting President) announces that he will not be running. The rest of the story is about the campaign and crazies that literally come out of the woods.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best of Woods’s books I’ve read so far, centers on an extremely likable candidate for President who is the target of both routine political attacks, and more ominous -- and potentially deadly -- threats from militaristic terrorist groups. Along with the story, an interesting (and probably all-too-accurate) portrayal of the influence peddling that’s part of the modern political campaign. Very well done!
Susan Adkins
Jun 09, 2012 Susan Adkins rated it it was amazing
This book is about the election of Will Lee as President of the United States. As usual, there are problems from the very beginning. The President is in a coma, the Vice-President has the onset of Altzheimers, and Will's past may be coming back to haunt him. If the information put forth about running for political office is accurate, then I now understand more about the inside of the political arena.
Helenk
Feb 06, 2017 Helenk rated it really liked it
This book was particularly interesting since we've just finished a contentious election. It's amazing that there were similarities in the fictional election of the early 21st century and the election of 2016.
K1d2
Dec 09, 2012 K1d2 rated it really liked it
This is the first Stuart Woods book I have read. From what I have seen on Goodreads, the main character is a recurring figure and is the featured character in one of Woods' series. I did not know this until midway through the book. I enjoyed the story line - and the pace of it - and think the story stands well on its own. That said, I do want to go back and read the books on the series leading up to this one.
Ed
Feb 24, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#5 in the Will Lee series. Only 2 more entries in the Will Lee series before it is subsumed into the Stone Barrington universe.

Will Lee series - After the President dies in office and the vice-President declines to run for re-election, GA Senator Will Lee throws his hat in the ring. His campaign trail is dogged by a right wing militia assassin.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, stuart-woods
PB-B @ 2000, 5/22/13. The President suffers a massive stroke, the VP has the beginnings of dementia and will not run for the Presidency in the upcoming election. He at first wants Senator Will Lee to be his acting VP, but then decides it would be better for the Nation if Lee ran for the Presidency himself. But someone doesn't want Lee to become President, and is trying to kill him. Very good.
Rita
Aug 12, 2012 Rita rated it it was ok
I was not aware that this book is part of a series, focused on the Will Lee character; doubt that I'll go out of my way to get the other books. In "The Run", the storyline plodded along through the first half of the book. When the characters and plot were finally developed, the action picked up and the book was much more enjoyable and entertaining - but not all that excitiing.
Ralph McEwen
Apr 10, 2010 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it
The novel starts pretty slowly but it is necessary for the rest of the story. After page 110 it really picks up and is an engaging read to the finish. I really like the protagonist and his wife. The way the other politicians in the story never seem evil just very bent to their own ends. This book will now be released at Bookcrossing.com.
Steve
Oct 12, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
feb 2017 boson tape. Still a favorite!!!!!

Jan 2015 re-listended to book on tape 1-22-2015 still 5 stars

10-1-2013 bookon tape thoughtI read it but I thoroughly enjoyed this political - presidential bid fiction. much better than reality. although, the bad guys are pretty smarmy and corrupt in the book - does lend itself to realism.
Sue Vanwassenhove
Apr 03, 2016 Sue Vanwassenhove rated it really liked it
Another quick and easy read to catch up on the Will Lee series of Stuart Woods. Well written and a bit more suspenseful with surprise twists. I liked it. And I think this may be the latest in that series, but perhaps not. Since I'm getting these from the library I'm not entirely sure of that I'm reading these in sequence!
Jennifer Has IC
May 26, 2015 Jennifer Has IC rated it really liked it
Good book. Keeps u hooked in until the end. I like the fact that the main character is named Will Lee for obvious reasons but Stuart Woods has the uncanny ability to pull u into his world. Will Lee's world is one of intrigue and normal folk. A great read to take ur mind off ur own troubles for a bit.
Amos
of Lawrence Library S&A currently have this in my Ford CD player. Interesting story of complexities of D.C. Politics
as of 10/22/09 I barely remember having heard it. So it obviously was not that memorial.
Robyn Cleaves
I recommend this series. I enjoyed this book.

Other authors that I like:
James Patterson: Women's Murder Club.
Janet Evanovich
J.A. Knrath: Jack Daniels Series
Lisa Lutz: Spellmans Series.
Stuart Woods: Stone Barrington Series
  • The Red Fox
  • Rising Phoenix (Mark Beamon, #1)
  • The Final Cut (Francis Urquhart #3)
  • Bodies Electric
  • Vicious Circle
  • City of Ice
  • Deadfall (The McAllister Files)
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries
  • The Goddaughter (Gina Gallo, #1)
  • Wild Justice
  • Mirage
  • Back to Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #4-6)
  • Watch Me
  • Sweepers
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • Capitol Betrayal (Ben Kincaid, #18)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Will Lee (7 books)
  • Chiefs (Will Lee, #1)
  • Run Before the Wind (Will Lee, #2)
  • Deep Lie (Will Lee, #3)
  • Grass Roots (Will Lee, #4)
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Mounting Fears (Will Lee, #7)