Blank-133x176
The Shadow of His Wings

Bruce Ferguson

The Shadow of His Wings (Six Kingdoms #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Shadow of His Wings is the story of Lukan Barra and his quest. Set near the end of the first millenium in the kingdom of Myrcia, in a world with the traditional medieval fantasy ambience. Bruce Fergusson has taken the materials of conventional heroic fantasy and renewed them, in an original novel of broad scope and meticulous detail.

The book opens with the estrangement
Published February 1st 1987 by Arbor House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of His Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow of His Wings

Kate
Jan 25, 2010 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a really great story. I classified it as both sci-fi and fantasy, because although it has a fantasy setting, aspects of it seemed sci-fi-ish to me, along the lines of the Pern books. It's a pity that this author hasn't been more prolific, because this was just a wonderful world, I would love to read more stories from this place.

This has one of the better climactic moments that I've read in a while -- if you can find this book to read, definitely give it a try.
K. Axel
Oct 26, 2008 K. Axel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans
Shelves: fantasy, full-reviews
This story is the first of two set in Bruce Fergusson's setting - The Six Kingdoms. While this is the first book, I actually read The Mace of Souls (Book Two) first, but in truth, this doesn't really matter, since they are only connected through the setting, not through characters or story.

The Shadow of His Wings has a first person narrative, as we hear the story from the lips of Lukan Barra, a simple man fom a small mountain village called Deepwell. His parents died a long time ago, but his bro...more
Linda Hilton
I originally received this book as a review copy for Rave Reviews magazine, the long-defunct stepsister of Romantic Times. I loved this book then, and every time I've reread it over the years, it just gets better. Great writing, fabulous characters, adventures and twists and battles and dangers galore.

Good fantasy is hard to find. Splendid fantasy is a treasure. This is splendid.
Kathleen Sheldon
"A great introduction to the World if the Six Kingdoms.

An imaginative world filled with bloodspore-consorts,the dragon-like erseiyrs, and the gross spider-like stalkers. A glossary at the beginning might have been nice. It was fun figuring out what the neck kind of being.he was talking about. A very good writer. I look forward to more of his work.

Margareth8537
A very dark world in which to live, with some similarities, but also grim races battling one another, misshapen creatures crawling and flying and the rivalry of two brothers
Isreal
Mey...what a book...

Raskol
Raskol marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Courtney Alston
Courtney Alston marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Zannachan
Zannachan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Fred Tyre
Fred Tyre marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Adblenturer
Adblenturer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Kathryn Baron
Kathryn Baron marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Lorri-lynne
Lorri-lynne marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Niffer
Niffer marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Nyree Blackhall
Nyree Blackhall marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Ryan Hurst
Ryan Hurst marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Fat Bastard's Guide To The 10 Commandments Of Losing Weight- Thou shalt obey my commands... (The Fat Bastard's Guide To...) Haim Steinbach Daniel Laskarin : Agnostic Objects (Things Persist) Pastfuturetense Every Day Is Sunday