Start by marking “Flower Garden” as Want to Read:
Flower Garden

Flower Garden

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Follow the progress of a little girl and her father as they purchase "a garden," and board the bus to carry it home. The pansies, tulips, daffodils, geraniums, and daisies are lovingly planted in a window box, and the candles on the cake are lighted--just as Mom walks in the door to find her daughter, her husband, and her birthday surprise.
Published March 6th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Flower Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flower Garden

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertGrandpa Green by Lane Smith
Picture Books About Gardens
10th out of 172 books — 80 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
107th out of 241 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Shanna Gonzalez
A very simple, beautifully illustrated story, told in gentle rhyme, of a young girl and her father embarking on a journey by bus to the grocery store to buy a window flower box. The purpose of the expedition is revealed when Mother walks in the door, carrying schoolbooks, to find the flowers, birthday cake and chocolate ice cream. The book ends with an image of the family cozily looking out the window over the flowers, which present a small oasis of beauty in a gray urban world.

This is a lovely
Bryonna Potter
This book is rhyme filled and wonderful illustrations that look so realistic. This book can introduce so much new vocabulary for children such as the different types of flowers. It also gives children the steps to making a small garden with flowers from the store. I love that this book shows a little girl spending time with her Dad because most of the time it's a little girl with her mother. At the end you find out that they were creating this flower garden for her Mom's birthday. This is a wond ...more
June
Sep 22, 2014 June rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents to read with young children
I use this every year in my story time. A wonderful story of a girl and her father making a flower box for their apartment window. I use it for garden or Mothers story times. 2000

I used this for a PJ story time tonight & a mother asked to check it out. 5/22/12

Used this for a gardening story time since I didn't use it for Mother's Day (the fire fighters came for a story time) and I have it in big book format and 2 day cares showed for the preschool story time.
Emily Farnschlader
This story is about an African American girl who went to a store with her father to pick up plants. They ride home on a bus and go up to their third floor apartment. They planted the new flower plants into a window box. Then her mom walks in carrying books, it was her birthday and the garden box was a gift for her.
This story brings up some things that many kids, depending where they are from, may not understand. They may have never ridden on a city bus or been in an appartment. It appeared th
Romanus Elangwe
The book teaches that flowers can be bought in stores and taken home; flowers can be carried on our laps, they can be used to decorate our stairs, buses and homes. It teaches the stages of planting and growing flowers indicating that flowers are of different colors. Flowers can be presented to love ones and can be used to celebrate birth days. Flowers are also visited by bees and bugs.

It is a good book for science. The stages of growing a flower garden--get the trowel, spread papers thick, pott
Julia
A good read for flower-lovers or mother's day. Beautifully drawn and simple language to describe buying and planting a window garden box for the child's mother.
Heather
Cute, sweet, rhyming book - perfect for emerging readers with some challenging vocabulary!
elissa
Gorgeous storytime book. I'd probably give it 4 1/2 stars if I could, so I'm rounding up.
Polly
Very sweet, another "awwww" book for the adults at your story time.
Michelle
Bunting’s soft lines, warm tones and realistic oil on paper portraiture delight the eye in this gentle, rhyming story of a young girl who brings the joy of gardening to a small inner-city apartment. The excitement quietly builds as we accompany a young African American girl and her father to the store and home again by bus, carrying the ingredients for a special birthday surprise for her mother. The large-print text is minimal, introducing some nice new vocabulary for identifying different types ...more
Tanya Bornstein
This book will make your child excited for family time! It is such a great and colorful book children will love. The children may not plant the seeds and watch the flowers sprout but they takeover the responsibility of taking great care of them so they continue to grown big and strong.

L.E: Set out flowers in your dramatic play section and the children can pick out the ones they want to plant in their very own garden box. Then they can plant the flowers outside in the garden section of the cente
Frances
1.This books is illustrated with lots of vibrant colors.
2.This book provides a lots of new vocabulary regarding gardening that will be great for all children.
3.The story line is beliveable for many students who mak not live in single family home, but all students will be able to relate. This story carries a lot of meaning.

learning Activity

The activity that I would create using this book should take place during the spring/summer. After reading this story the class will be given the opportunity
Joy Colclasure
This book has simple, rhyme filled text and nice illustrations that look so realistic. This book can introduce so much new vocabulary for children such as the diffrent types of flowers. This book also shows children the steps to making a small garden with flowers from the store. I like that this book shows a little girl spending time with her Dad. At the end you find out that they were creating this flower garden for Mom's birthday. This is a great book to read during spring.

Extension activity:
Shaquita
This is a story about a little girl and her father who are going to the market to get a present for her mother's birthday; they get her a window flower garden. Although majority of the colors used in the illustrations are neutral colors, the illustrations are still eye-catching. The illustrations are so realistic that when you look at the expressions on the people's faces you can almost feel the excitement and happiness they are feeling. This book can be used to build characteristics (such as ca ...more
Linda
Flower Garden by Eve Bunting was one of the sweetest feel-good stories I have ever read. I read it in big book format and believe me, the illustrations originating in oil on paper are as pure and beautiful as the story. We are immediately taken in as the young girl and her father prepare a birthday surprize for the young girl's mother. The story is written in rhyme and flows like a peaceful river. From the moment the couple purchases the flowers at the Green Grocers to the moment the window box ...more
Miriam Axel-lute
Apr 02, 2008 Miriam Axel-lute rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone reading to kids, children's librarians
This is one of the perhaps few books that is a favorite of both me and my approaching-two year old. It's a sweet story of a girl and her day planting a flower box for her mother's birthday. Nadia loves the last page, when the family looks out the window at the skyline together ("cee-tee"!).

That would really be enough on its own, but it's just a refreshing change to have the background be urban (they carry the groceries home on the bus and live in a walk-up apartment), the girl be home with her d
Lv2readB
Bunting, E. (1994). Flower garden.

Summary:
Told from the perspective of a very young child, this rhyming story follows an African-American girl as she purchases flowers, carries them home, and prepares to give the flower garden surprise to her mother.

Reviews/Awards:
Booklist 2/15/1994

Curriculum Connection:
1st grade writing prompt: what is the best surprise you’ve eve
Yohan Choi
* This book is with wonderful and like realistic illustrations. I liked to see the different kinds of flowers with a great birthday story.

* As I am a teacher, can teach to children by preparing some flower seeds, soil and cup to make them to have experience some how do flowers are blooming. (We can see the procession of flowers each day.)

* This book gives a strong emotion to children to read.

Holly N.
Flower Garden by Eve Bunting is a heartwarming story that shows the joys of showing someone you care about them. The social-emotional theme depicts a loving family with simple, rhyming verses. There are various flower names that can be used added to young children's vocabulary. The illustrations are also beautifully depicted with rich and bold colors.
Chantana
The illustrations and colors of this book is illuminating to any younger steers eyes. I do feel it lacks a great deal of content due to the vague overall meaning of the book. I get the girl bought some colorful pretty flowers planted them outside the window and ultimately they were a birthday surprise for her mom, but it is just not interesting.
Mike Romesburg
"Final Project" - Author Study: Eve Bunting

What a powerful piece of MCL with a beautiful and surprise ending as well. This is an excellent book that children of all ages and backgrounds can relate to. Whether it be a garden, sports ball, decoration, etc. every person and each family has something that is of great significance to them. This story allows the child who is reading to insert his own personal "garden" and view the story from his personal perspective. This is exactly why in my opinion
Olesya Johnson
This children’s book is written in a simplistic step-by-step way. It takes the reader through the steps to make a window box garden in a city apartment. The pictures show a father and daughter doing this project together for the mother’s birthday. The beautiful pictures really help tell the story.

Ayana
The story itself is really good how a little girl and her dad travel on bus the bus to get a special surprise for her mother. The illustration and detailed description of the flowers are really good and colorful. This book can go into so many areas including cultural diversity.
Mary Ann
Children love gardening, whether it’s digging outside in a large garden or planting a seed in a small pot. This book celebrates the joy a young child in the city has in creating a window box full of beautiful flowers for her mother’s birthday. Starting with a trip to the nursery, readers follow a young African-American girl and her father home to her apartment. “Garden in a cardboard box/Walking to the bus/Garden sitting on our laps/People smile at us!'' The brief rhyming text is lovely to read ...more
Kate
This was a big hit with the toddlers - I think they liked the realistic illustration style. The rhymes were easy to read, and there were plenty of ways to incorporate other storytime activities into the book (counting, naming colors, etc.). I liked that this was one of the only picture books I could find that was about an urban gardening experience.
Fidelis
I read this story for the first time in my 1st grade class. This is a great book for children who have just got the hanging of reading. This book tells the story of a girl who plants a garden and surprises her mother for her birthday.
Justyna Johns
How to creat flower garden in the city? Introducing spring flowers and the way to grow them in the city. Also great for social-emotional, girl shopping with her father to get a gift for her mother. Incredible illustrations.
Claire Rozint
This book was realistic and poetic. Each page only had a few words on it so it was simple to read. The book tells a story of a young girl and her father getting everything ready for her mother's birthday.
Ruby
Apr 24, 2012 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
What a great book to talk about nature and gardening. The sentences are a bit long but children of about age 4 might be able to pay attention to a book like this. This book can teach about how something so simple like a flower garden can be a beautiful git for someone. It is also a great opportunity to talk seasons and when it is best to plant seeds for fruits, vegetables and flowers. Children can take responsibility when they know that they have to tend to the seeds that they plant.

Activity ext
Violet Lewis
The illustrations in this book are extremely colorful and vivid. This book can also be used to teach many concepts including learning about colors and seasons. Its a great book about family as well. I love the fact that the little girl in the story spends time with her father doing something special for her mother.

Learning activity:
I will bring flower seeds of various colors, small plastic cups, and soil for children to plant their own flowers in. We will make our own flower garden. When will d
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • My Garden
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Leaves
  • Mud
  • Pete's a Pizza
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Scary, Scary Halloween