Start by marking “Romeo and Juliet--Together (and Alive!) at Last” as Want to Read:
Romeo and Juliet--Together (and Alive!) at Last

Romeo and Juliet--Together (and Alive!) at Last

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  492 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Pete Saltz, the pudgy poet from S.O.R. Losers, has fallen hard for Anabell Stackpoole, and she likes him, too. But both are much too shy to do anything about it.

It's Pete's friend Ed Sitrow to the rescue, as he and other eighth-graders at South Orange River School cook up a scheme to give the budding romance a boost. The school production of Romeo and Juliet stars the bash
Published September 1st 1988 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1987)

Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareJuliet by Anne FortierWest Side Story by Irving ShulmanJuliet Immortal by Stacey JayThe Juliet Club by Suzanne Harper
With Love, Romeo & Juliet
7th out of 48 books — 51 voters
Holes by Louis SacharThe Giver by Lois LowryConductoid by M.B. LehaneThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. Hilton
Books for twelve-year-old children
108th out of 712 books — 819 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 01, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first thought when I came across an Avi book as a kid was—“Superheroes write books?” Hehe…I had a thing for masked crusaders (still do). Something about the single name screamed SUPER and in many ways Avi is a superhero. He captivates readers left and right with humor, hijinks, mystery, chills, intelligence, and fun. The man can do it all!

Sooooo when I spotted this gem at a book sale over the weekend, I scooped it up, ran home, and read it cover to cover in one giggle-fest sitting. :)

This tal
Waffle...♥
Mar 30, 2008 Waffle...♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, eighth-grade
LoL It was pretty okay.. I kinda got bored at some parts but this book is pretty much about a wrecked up Romeo and Juliet stage play :D Probally all the worst things that could happen during a play.. lol.. I loved the ending though! <33 :P

Ragan
Dec 20, 2008 Ragan rated it really liked it
Very cute and laugh out loud funny book. I read this to my husband out loud and we both enjoyed it. A bunch of kids put on the play Romeo and Juliet to try to maneuver their two friends into kissing each other.
Amanda Holmes
Dec 06, 2012 Amanda Holmes rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, drama
I am reading the book Romeo and Juliet Together (and alive) at Last. I think that it is a really good book so far. It is about two people, one of them is Peter Saltz. Perter is in love with a girl named Anabell Stackpoole and is sad to admit it to her because she doesn't ever notice him. Then Peter's friend Ed hosts a play to get Saltz and Stackpoole together, it is the play Romeo and Juliet and of course they have to kiss. Then Ed get's a lot of his friends together and tell them who to vote fo ...more
Pandora
May 14, 2013 Pandora rated it liked it
A sequel to S.O.R losers in which Peter Saltz has fallen in love with Anabell. The problem is the two are so shy they will not even look at each other much less talk to each other. Ed Sitrow comes up with the solution of having the two star in production of Romeo and Juliet. Trouble ensures because they have only two weeks to put on the production and their Tybalt is not acting the enemy of Romeo he is the enemy of Peter.

It was fairly funny but, I have read funnier books. Some of the humor seems
Books Kids Like
Oct 09, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Ed Sitrow's best friend, Pete Saltz, loves Anabell Stackpoole. Unfortunately, Pete and Anabell’s shyness keeps them apart. So, Ed teams up with classmate Lucy Neblett who also wants to help the ill-fated romance. While studying "Romeo and Juliet" in literature class, Ed and Lucy decide that the eighth-grade should put on the play with Pete cast as Romeo and Anabell as Juliet. Then, the two star-crossed lovers would not only have to look at each other and talk, they would have to kiss! With the p ...more
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
When Pete tells his best friend Ed that he (Pete) is in love with the mousy Annabell Stackpoole, but neither of them can even look at each other, much less talk, Ed decides to do something about it. The 8th grade is reading Romeo and Juliet, so Ed decides that he and his classmates should stage an abbreviated version of the play, casting Pete as Romeo and Annabell as Juliet, so they'll have to kiss. What could possibly go wrong?

Since our school staged this last fall and I have all those visuals
readereden
Jan 27, 2015 readereden rated it liked it
Shelves: novels, quick-reads
This book didn't seem to be typical Avi (maybe because it was published almost three decades ago). While funny, it lacked the complex and interesting plot his books usually have. Avi does have a lighthearted side, but it seemed as though he tried too hard to have a comical character. However, overall, it is not a bad book, and is a good choice for anyone looking for a quick read.
April Suter
A cute middle-school story of a buddy helping his best pal by creating a Romeo and Juliet play within two weeks organizing it so that the best pal and the girl he is in love with are the main characters. Read for the giggles, because what can go wrong will probably go wrong :-)

123 pages
Molly
Mar 29, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing
I read this book so many times when I was in elementary school. And, as I'm currently in a production of Romeo & Juliet, I thought it was time to revisit it.

It totally holds up. Cute, funny, and just all around good.
Julie
Aug 02, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
We laughed ourselves sick. This book is a juvenile fiction book about some 8th graders who are trying to be matchmakers for their very shy friends. The scheme is to set the two up as Romeo and Juliet in a shortened version of Shakespeare's famous play. The kids do the play entirely on their own--absolutely no adult supervision, and write, rehearse and produce their play in 2 weeks. If you are familiar with the actual dialogue of the original Romeo and Juliet, you will laugh yourself silly. I wil ...more
Samantha
Apr 01, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
Very cute, with lots of chaos and humor. A good intro for middle schoolers into the world of Shakespeare.
Yahir
Sep 30, 2015 Yahir rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the book
Lisa the Librarian
Jan 15, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ?
A follow up to S.O.R. Losers. I liked this slightly better because the children are working on their own project with their own ideas. It might help that this is about a play and I am way more of a drama person than a sports person.

I liked the inventiveness of the students and the persistence that the "show must go on" despite the disasters they experience. Bravo!

Not Avi's best work but cute.

My one complaint is that while the writing level is about 4th grade the subject matter touches on middle
jacky
Mar 30, 2007 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
I read this in early middle school. Unlike all the other young adult books that were recommended for me or classics assigned to me, this book was easy and light. It didn't contain any heavy topics like drug abuse or kidnapping. It was just a fun little romance story. I really enjoyed that wasn't teaching me about some big issue, that it was short and easy to read, and that it was about shy people, because I was shy, but interested in romance.
Palorca
The reason why i like this book is because it is about love and because romeo the main character dies with Juliet just because he says he couldn't live without the love of his life and so he preferred to die with her. One thing i don't like about this book is that their love was to obsessive and i think it is too much. Also some of the characters in this book prohibit Juliet to be romeo.
Apr 27, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I have a signed copy of this young adult novel, and I thank Avi every day for writing this tale of junior high love acted out on the stage. It created a drive in me to learn more about theatre, and formed the impressions that allowed me to believe anything is possible through this particular art form. Thanks, Avi, you don't know it, but you gifted me my career.
Carol Hardesty
Mar 26, 2012 Carol Hardesty rated it liked it
This was a pretty cute book. It kinda reminded me of the "Hey Arnold!" episode where Helga and Arnold play the lead roles in their school's production of "Romeo & Juliet" (anyone else?). The part I remember most was the kiss scene when the balcony falls apart and 'Juliet' falls on top of 'Romeo'. And all 'Romeo' can say is, "That was some kiss!" =D
Amanda Fashbaugh
Jan 07, 2008 Amanda Fashbaugh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a giggle
Theater and young love from an eighth grade boy's POV? Sign me up! Written at a level that any adult can finish it in less than an hour, this book is worth a read for the program of the play alone. It helps if you know Romeo and Juliet a little, because some of the mistakes are funniest when compared with the solemnity of the source material.
N W James
Oct 28, 2013 N W James rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2013
Pete likes Anabell. Pete's friend, Ed, decides to make their relationship happen, so he conjures a plan to put-on a production of Romeo and Juliet casting Pete and Anabell in the title roles and his other friends in the rest of the production. The humor relies pretty heavily on knowing the major scenes of the play, but it's enjoyable if you do.
Phil
Jul 10, 2015 Phil rated it it was ok
Story was a bit weak and predictable, with the laughs not quite hitting the mark in my opinion. It was amusing, but just. It touches on the character's crushes on each other very gently, which would make it a decent read for a younger audience. All in all I feel there are better books to read out there, including many of Avi's.
Katherine
Mar 05, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it
So funny! I would consider having students read this (or at last parts of it) after studying the play "Romeo and Juliet." Often times, the actors in the play fumble up the original lines. Its both entertaining and also educational as kids could maybe try to catch as many lines as they could.
Logan
May 30, 2011 Logan rated it it was amazing
I actually really liked this book. It was laugh out loud funny! If you want a quick read with a light hearted storyline chose this. It is about a group of 8th graders who find out two of their friends like each other but won't admit it. They put on a play so they will kiss.
Stephanie Tom
Jan 21, 2015 Stephanie Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-favorites
Hilarious through and through. I could not stop laughing the entire time I was reading this! And when I'll have to read it in 9th grade, I'll probably be laughing in my head then, remembering this book.
Jenna
This is definitely a younger reading level but I think younger kids wouldn't understand it, so it is about 11 - 12 age group. I liked how it was so funny and how Romeo's friend was totally clueless
Ang
Jan 21, 2010 Ang rated it liked it
This book was hilarious! If you like "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" you'll crack up with this one. Definitely a book to read to junior high kids or anyone who had a crush in junior high. Funny.
Sleepymei
Nov 21, 2011 Sleepymei rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from the library when my English wasn't that good. I found it very simple yet funny and interesting! I wondered why school books couldn't be as good as this
Wanda
Aug 18, 2011 Wanda rated it liked it
A book about kids putting on a school play so that two classmates will "go steady." Not a bad book. Kids might enjoy this one if they are putting on a school play.
Maggie V
Feb 24, 2011 Maggie V rated it it was ok
A very quick read. I didn't get involved with the characters as much because it was so short and quickly paced. But still a fun book.
CLM
Oct 15, 2008 CLM rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about Avi, due to a careless error in Beyond the Western Sea, but this is a cute story for 4th or 5th graders.
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
  • Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, #1)
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Dreamsleeves
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • Wishing for Tomorrow: The Sequel to A Little Princess
  • Parasite Pig (Interstellar Pig #2)
  • Η μωβ ομπρέλα
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...