Start by marking “The Eagle Has Flown” as Want to Read:
The Eagle Has Flown

The Eagle Has Flown (Liam Devlin #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,172 ratings  ·  50 reviews
While increasingly isolated and insane Hitler pursues his hopeless war, betrayal and treachery reach the highest levels of the Third Reich. German intelligence knows that paratroop officer Steiner survived "Operation Eagle," the bungled assassination attempt on Winston Churchill, and is now a POW somewhere in London.
336 pages
Published 1991

To ask other readers questions about The Eagle Has Flown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eagle Has Flown

Ed
#4 in the Liam Devlin series. This novel is a sequel to The Eagle Has Landed (1975), a 1943 plot by Heinrich Himmler to kidnap (or kill) Winston Churchill. The plot was foiled and Irish gunman Liam Devlin was wounded and escaped, eventually to Lisbon, while 13 of 14 German Paratroopers were killed. The German leader, Col. Steiner, was secretly held in the Tower of London. In the sequel, set in 1975, author Higgins is shown documents showing the further actions of Devlin and Steiner in 12/43-1/44 ...more
Jim
A sequel to "The Eagle Has Landed". Spoiler alert: don't read this review if you haven't read "The Eagle Has Landed". Col. Kurt Steiner was wounded but survived and is imprisoned in the Tower of London. Liam Devlin also survived and escaped. Heinrich Himmler and the SS again hire Devlin to hatch an escape plot to free Col. Steiner. British intelligence are trying to use Col. Steiner as bait to catch Devlin and his co-conspirators in England.

Meanwhile, Himmler and his rival, Admiral Canaris (the
Ginny
I enjoy novels about WWII and this is a good one. Jack Higgins' writing is quick and carries you along with the story.
Huw Rhys
A good, engaging, easy to read but slightly predictable war based thriller starring Liam Devlin, the character immortalised by Donald Sutherland's portrayal in "TheEagle Has Landed".

This time, the Eagle gets involved in another similar sort of tale. If there is any interest in this tale, it's mainly because it manages to portray a vaguely sympathetic portrayal of Adolf Hitler, which certainly has you asking yourself a few questions. But the questions don't tend to be too searching, much like thi
Ajitabh Pandey

Another excellent 2nd world war story by Jack Higgins. This is in continuation of the first book in Liam Devlin Series - The Eagle Has Landed. This book is written in the same style as the previous one. Jack Higgins is the one who is being told the story by Liam Devlin. In this book, Liam Devlin is sent by Himmler to London in order to rescue Col Steiner from the British intelligence agency. And this book interestingly turns o
Vikram
Jack Higgins is famous for his War Thrillers, most of which feature Irish desperadoes (this one has Liam Devlin), who always seems to be able to out-guess and outwit the opposition.

Higgins uses many historical characters, but woven seamlessly into fictional plots - this one is a Sequel to his famous book - 'The Eagle has Landed', which was made into a Movie.

This one continues with the same enthralling style - you are literally transported into the heart of Nazi Germany, coming face-to-face wit
Cal
Bob
In this Sequel to "The Eagle Has Landed" Liam Devlin is hired by Himmler to recover the captured Colonel Steiner from British captivity. Devlin devises a scheme to accomplish the mission but is hampered by acrimony in the German command, plots against Hitler and uncooperative weather. Another good read from Mr. Higgins.
Fredrick Danysh
IRA activists and German agent Liam Devlin returns to England to rescue the survivor of a failed attempt to kidnap or kill Churchill under orders of Himmler. He calls on old friends to avoid a double agent and runs afoul of black-marketeers. A nice sequel to The Eagle Has Landed.
James Murphy
An enjoyable sequel to "The Eagle Has Landed." It was good to be reacquainted with Liam Devlin and fun to keep turning the pages, just to see how Mr. Devlin would tackle the mission given to him. A good read for the weekend.
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Questo libro è il seguito della "Notte dell'aquila", una grande avventura, che è un romanzo di spionaggio ambientato nella seconda guerra mondiale e vede come figure centrali gli inglesi contro i nazisti.

Devo dire subito che il prequel è sicuramente migliore di questo sequel scritto dopo molti anni e di certo non è il migliore di Higgins, che è specialista nello scrivere spy-stories ambientate nei periodi di guerra.

In questo secondo romanzo manca la fantasia del primo e risulta molto meno coinvo
Sandro
Higgins osaa kirjoittaa jännittävää ja todentuntuista sotaseikailua. Vaikka kirjan kirjoittamisesta on jo aikaa, ei tule "vanhanaikaista" vaikutelmaa. Ihmiskuvaus on tarkkanäköistä ja juoni tiivistunnelmainen.
Jan Johnson
Again not my typical kind of book but I liked this one also. Same deal: characters were not black and white but struggled to do the closest thing to "right" in a horrible situation.
Dave Bowmore
An interesting if predictable tale of daring anti-hero's. To me Steiner is a more interesting character than Devlin, and a pity not to see more of him in the story.
Tim Heath
Not as good as the first book but still a brilliant follow on.
Ron
A bonnie good tale............
Stanley
Predictable but very fast and enjoyable!
Yvonne
No suprises, no twists, and the outcome very predictable. I expected more of the sequel to The Eagle has Landed, and certainly more depth. Helped me go to sleep at night, though.
Pooriya
بد نبود ولی کلیات و جزئیات ماجرا همونی بود که تو فرود عقاب روایت شده بود با ظاهری جدید. دزدیدن چرچیل به ترور هیتلر تغییر شکل داده بود. رفتن به انگلیس همون بود با دو هدف متفاوت. درگیری دولین با خلافکارا عینا تکرار شده بود و حتی بازم خلافکارا دوتا برادر بودن و یه نوچه داشتن و... خلاصه که چیز جدیدی برای گفتن نداشت فقط چون زیاد مثل اون قبلی الکی کشش نداده بود به اینم سه دادم. اگه اون کش و واکشش کمتر بود 4 بهش میدادم و به این سه. ...more
Steve
I am torn by this book. It wasn't terrible, but also wasn't brilliant. The plot was fast enough, with enough action to keep my interest, and with enough twists to keep me guessing. What stopped this book from being four stars was the writing of some of the characters at the climax of the book -- seemed stilted, and not like they have been portrayed in other media and documentaries.
Pete
One of the first books on tape I ever "read" and I have been going strong for 15+ years. Higgins is a very good author, who in his earlier works was imaginative and engaging. I have tried to read his more recent books, but the seem a bit contrived and do not capture the magic of The Eagle has Flown. A good book well worth the time.
Lu
I really liked it, though I have to admit it was probably because I am quite fond of the characters. It was nice to see Devlin and Steiner together again, even if the plot is not as brilliant and original as in The Eagle has landed. Still, a pleasant reading and not too disappointing.
J.P.
This is one of those the author should have quit while he was ahead books. I really liked The Eagle Has Landed but this was too easy to figure out with a minimum of action. If the parts where people are smoking or drinking were omitted the book would be 50 pages shorter
JDK1962
Rehash. Minor entertainment, but we learn very little that's new about any character. Higgins shamelessly repeats the scene in a garage in which Devlin is picking something up and must outwit the nasty brothers he's buying from (the Garveys in TEHL, the Carvers in TEHF). Yawn.
Arjün Kaül
VEry good story. Enjoyable book.
Lets hope he puts out a third as well.
We could use more Steiner as well. This book has more of Devlin, which isnt a bad thing. Devlin's like a Irish Jmes Bond.
Brendan
I loved the Eagle has Landed. a great adventure. This book is a sequel, written in 1991. It is a tired, piece of hack work. I had to stop reading it. my time is too valuable
Adam
Trash of the fairly entertaining variety
Marty
I enjoyed this more than I expected. There is near continuous action and very little exploration of the characters motives that is always so boring.
Abhishek Prakash
a deserving end to the prequel "the eagle has landed" this book brings bak the mischievious liam devlin bak and that too with a bang and panache...
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Most Secret
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • River of Death
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Brandenburg
  • 27
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • XPD
  • The Revolt Of Gunner Asch
  • Paris-Underground
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Liam Devlin (4 books)
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Touch the Devil
  • Confessional
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)