Start by marking “Confessions of Dan Yack” as Want to Read:
Confessions of Dan Yack

Confessions of Dan Yack (Dan Yack #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Continuing the adventures of the eccentric English millionaire Dan Yack, this novelcenters on tells the story ofthe protagonist'stender love for the young Mireille, whom he meets in a crowded tabac in a Paris gone mad on Armistice night, 1918. This love transforms Dan Yack's life—he abandons his women andgives up his fast cars and debauchery to marry this convent-educated ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Peter Owen Publishers (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of Dan Yack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of Dan Yack

Chuck LoPresti
Not a five because it does not have the impact, expanse or feral will of Dan Yack - but it is a delightful little read packed with verbal picnics and seedy wisdom. Cendrars never seemed to care about who he might have offended and I respect that. If you are offended by whaling, whoring and boozing - best to seek your pleasure elsewhere - but if you can enjoy great writing regardless of great morality - you will find something to appreciate here. Flowing with vitality - Cendrars should be more wi ...more
First published in 1929, this is a ‘sequel’ to Cendrars’ earlier delirious masterpiece, *Dan Yack*, which recounted the bizarre adventures of an eccentric millionaire and the three bohemians he takes with him on an overwintering expedition to a remote island off the coast of Antarctica. The *Confessions* is looser in structure and wider ranging in subject matter. It can, in fact, be read without any knowledge of the prior volume. It consists of nine ‘cylinders’ (Cendrars recited the book into a ...more
Jeff Bursey
For a joint review of Gold, Dan Yack and Confessions of Dan Yack, go here:
There is so much jammed into this little 120 page book. Layered and ambiguous and carved in an unforgettable voice, even in translation, though Cendrars would be incredible in French:
"The crater-riddled field started to whirl round madly and it seemed to me that a flashing sword, flinging off roaring sparks, fell from the heavens to smite and massacre everything on the surface of the earth, like a gramophone needle scratching, scoring, digging furrows in an old, already worn record, on a fully-w
I didn't think I'd end up dropping this book onto the ignominious shelf; but I can't bring myself to pick it up again. More than anything, I object to the stupid, badly written female character who reads like a doe-eyed, imbecile impossibility.

Even against the backdrop of heady, post-war brothel-bestrewn Paris, Cendrars does not entice. There is some weird, acquisitive, distant and uncomprehending lolita thing going on in this book; but without any psychological depth.

"What glorious days, so h
Aaron Kent
Cendrars has the ability to be intimate and moving in 120 pages to the extent that it kinda shames most writers that try to build that kind of spirit of life and loss up in much longer and tedious novels. This ones a gem.
Nose in a book (Kate)
I picked this up for about 50p in a bargain bin and I'm so glad I did! It's a brilliant modernist novel, clever and sad and entertaining in equal measure.
Bryan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Ted added it
Jul 28, 2015
latentbuds marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Ezequiel Soules
Ezequiel Soules marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
qtasha marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Bruce marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Zack Hamingson
Zack Hamingson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jur marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Beatrice Labissiere
Beatrice Labissiere marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
TheReaper marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Peretdesnos marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Luiz marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Frédéric Louis Sauser, better known as Blaise Cendrars, was a Swiss novelist and poet naturalized French in 1916. He was a writer of considerable influence in the modernist movement.
More about Blaise Cendrars...

Dan Yack (2 books)