Start by marking “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!” as Want to Read:
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,085 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Food Network star Guy Fieri takes you on a tour of America's most colorful diners, drive-ins, and dives in this tie-in to his enormously popular television show, complete with recipes, photos, and memorabilia.

Packed with Guy's iconic personality, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives follows his hot-rod trips around the country, mapping out the best places most of us have never hea
Published October 28th 2008 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
90th out of 850 books — 891 voters
Everyday Italian by Giada De LaurentiisMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildGiada's Kitchen by Giada De LaurentiisGordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course by Gordon Ramsay30-Minute Meals 2 by Rachael Ray
Cookbooks as seen on Television
26th out of 61 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Art
Jan 07, 2014 Art rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food, travel
I love this TV show. I think the book is not as good in covering the different eateries, but then again I don't know how you can translate that from the TV show into book form and keep the magic and energy. I did enjoy the writing and little side notes. The best part of this book is us looking forward to trying to cook some of these recipes. I think we have several weeks of new dinners to try out from this book.
Melissa
I love the FoodNetwork show that this cookbook is based off of. Seriously, I practically worship it and Guy Fieri and make it a point to go to all the places I can that have been featured on the show. Which means, that when this book came out, it of course had to go on my shelf. But now, I've owned it a few years, and have still rarely selected it as a go-to cookbook. But I'm still obsessed with the show.

For those not familiar with Guy Fieri or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, it's a show where chef
Misfit
Oct 22, 2008 Misfit rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Misfit by: received through Amazon Vine
And one book I will take on my next road trip - although why CaveMan Chicken is not in here......

Guy Fieri from the Food Channel takes the reader on a tour of his favorite Diners Drive-Ins and Dives around the country. The book is broken up into regional sections - Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, South, Midwest and West & Southwest. Each place gets a two page bit with pictures describing the restaurant, its history, owners and their specialty to fame. There's also a box on a sidebar called "Trac
Michael
Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives
By Guy Fieri with Ann Volkwein
Review by Michael Wallace

“Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” is a book written by Guy Fieri, cuisine genius. He also has a hit TV s how with him as the host. Guy travels all around the country in search of the best and most unique restaurants, hence the name. This book contains a collection of Guy’s reviews of the restaurants and recipes from these culinary adventures around the country.

If you have ever seen the TV show “Diners, Drive-ins, and Div
Angel
Dec 31, 2011 Angel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore fans of DDD & other Food Network fans
This is an ok book to browse. Especially neat to find those places in your state. If you are a fan of the show, you will probably like this book very much. I am not a fan of the show. I like the idea of the show-- finding those unique eateries that are a piece of Americana and give you great memories of a road trip or a good meal or both. However, I can't really stand Guy Fieri. I did watch the show in the early seasons, but as his schtick seemed to just get worse, I got tired of it and stopped ...more
Julie
My husband and I purchased this book mostly as a way to check-off the list of dives in the back of the book. Each time we eat at one we check the box and write the date next to it! Makes for a fun foodie-bucket list of sorts. I haven't tried to use it for the actual recipes, and I agree with others that it would be nice if the pages included color photos, but it serves its purpose.
Darcie
While I typically enjoy DDD and don't mind Fieri, his gimmicky vocabulary finally got to me about halfway through. If it weren't for the fact I borrowed the book, I would've thrown it if I had to read the word "Flavortown" one more time...

The recipes weren't that interesting and, in many cases, were for things he wasn't even raving about in the text. They might mean more to me if I had actually eaten at any of these places, but unfortunately I have not. What this book is good at it is giving the
Angie
I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and thought I would check out this book to see if it had some of the recipes I have heard on the show. The book takes us throughout the country to place Fieri has visited on the show. The intros to each location are typical Guy Fieri and really remind me of the show. He does give us a lot of background and reminds us about what makes the place special. I really enjoyed the pictures and the guy asides. I didn't try any of the recipes and some of them are definit ...more
Maria
I really wanted to like this, I do enjoy the tv show but it doesn't translate well into book version. The best thing about this book are the recipes but these are too few and far between (he chooses one from each diner).
BJ
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is the companion book to Guy Fieri's show of the same name on the Food Network. It's one of my favorite shows on the Food Network and he is one of my favorite chefs. The book however, while containing intersting information about the different establishments is a little disappointing with the recipes. Most of the recipes given by the diner chefs have "secret ingredients" that are not given. So even if you make them at home, they won't taste the same as what you have e ...more
Mary
I love Guy Fieri, and love his "Triple D" show. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I love the 50's look and feel, and the cute little stories were ok. The recipes just didn't do it for me.
Sylvia
Some interesting stories, but not really a "go-to" cookbook.
Lisa
I love finding off the wall dives when travelling. Guy Fieri shared recipes from some of the diners he's stopped in throughout the U.S. I can't wait to try the recipes for Captain Crunch French Toast, Chunky Monkey Pancakes, and Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese. My main complaint with this cookbook is it showed pictures of food, which made my mouth water, but didn't have recipes; and it didn't include pictures of the food it had recipes for.
Ann Marie
I am not a huge fan of DDD, as a matter of fact I think it is on entirely to frequently! But I do enjoy catching it occassionly. I can only take Guy's over the top personality in small doses. That being said I did think this book was pretty good. I enjoyed reading about these small, independently owned establishments. And the recipes that were included were pretty interesting. I have by no means made them all but I did like reading them.
James
Enjoyed the book, but don't take this as an endorsement of the author.
Sally
Woo Hoo! My copy is signed by the man himself. My friends and I are playing Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives BINGO, and we've been to many places out here in SoCal. Kalua Pork Egg Rolls at the North End Kaffe, the Mess at Schooner or Later, and absolutely EVERYTHING at the At Last Cafe! We never would have found those places if not for Triple D. This book has some great recipes, and I can't wait to pick up the next volume.
Bert Edens
This was just a fun read. As a big fan of the show, I was hoping for more signature recipes, but I also understand a business being reluctant to give up that information. Still, it was great to read some of the history behind the eateries, learn some of their secrets, and have a few laughs along the way. Would have liked to see more pictures of restaurants and staff and less of Guy, but hey, it's his show :)
Joanne
I have watched Guy Fieri on TV and have enjoyed his show. I wanted something that wasn't deep reading and thought this would fit the bill. It did. I just didn't find it very interesting and, since I don't cook and there are many recipes in this book, I really was rather bored. So, if you are interested in recipes from some interesting diners, look at this book. You might like it.
Dani
Feb 17, 2010 Dani added it
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show.
Reading this book is almost like watching the TV show. I could hear Fieri's voice as I read the descriptions of each establishment. My only disappointment is that I thought the recipes would be mostly sandwiches, since that is what I see on the show. Instead, it has recipes for a lot of non-sandwich dishes. Still, this is a fun cookbook to flip through if you are a Guy Fieri fan.
Amy
Just a book to peruse, unless it hits a "Dive" from somewhere you've lived or visited, then you might read the blurb. I found just one recipe I wanted to try, and I'd give it 5 stars. The Blue Ribbon Cinnamon Rolls - I have never had a dough turn out so good (sorry Pioneer Woman), and using my own frosting recipe, the family absolutely loved these "Cinnabon" sized treats.
Linda C
This is the companion book to the first season of the show on the Food Network. Guy doesn’t go to every state but he covers quite a few (29). I’ve referred to this when we’ve traveled and actually ate at the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH; it was good. Not many have been on our travel route, but there are some that sound like they would be worth the side trip.
Steve
This is more of a reference book and recipe book, not one that you'd actually "read". I went to four restuarants in the book so far (3 in Arizona, 1 in New Jersey), and they were all decent, but not as good as the restaurants in the far superior "Road Food" book (also listed in my books). I'll try and update my review as I sample more places..

Colleen Martin
Seemed kind of sacrilegous that a person as colorful as Guy Fieri should be relegated to such a drab book. Where were the bright photos and illustrations?? That said, the recipes contained therein are top-notch. I only had time to sample a few, but they tasted as good as they looked on the show. And the Cap'n Crunch French Toast is a must-try...delicious!
Alexis
This cook book was ok. Not really inspiring, but a bit unique. I, personally, am not into all of that meat and grease, but this book might just tickle your fancy if you are catering a Super Bowl Party or like to roast anything that is dead over a fire pit and slather it with sauce. Perfect coffee table book for a man cave.
Amy
Very interesting! Guy Fieri travels to various restaurants across the United States on his way to "Flavortown". During his visits, we learn about the history of the restaurant and obtain a recipe or two from there.

The only thing that would have made this book better was if he had chosen a place or two in Ohio!
Steven Peterson
Do you ever watch Guy's Food Network show, "Diners, Drive-Ins , and Dives"? And like it? If so, this book is for you.

He describes some of the places that he has reviewed; for each, he also shows an illustrative recipe. Yummie!

I do enjoy this show. If you do, you will like this book.
Angela
Another one of my guilty pleasures, cooking shows and cookbooks. I'm not too worried about making any of these recipes because they all usually use some type of an industrial deep fryer! I'm glad that I don't have one, they scare me. These type of cookbooks are fun to read and look through.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I first became aware of this as a Goodreads giveaway, and ended up snagging it from the library. Few of the recipes are vegetarian. And the ones that are are dessert, breakfast, or mac and cheese. (Not counting condiments.) The non-veg ones didn't seem that exciting to me, for the most part.
Amanda Leigh
I like Triple D, I like Guy Fieri, but 200+ pages "guyisms" and the use of the phrase "Flavortown" on every other page started to grate on my nerves midway through. It was nice to have the some recipes for the featured restaurants and to revisit and learn more about the restaurants.
Travis
Fun overview of a lot of the eateries from the TV show.
Guy's sense of humor can wear thin and each entry is the same format, so it's better it read in small chunks.

and each entry includes a recipe, so if you can't travel to the place you can at least try to make a dish.
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Paula Deen & Friends: Paula Deen & Friends
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
  • Mexican Everyday
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
Guy Fieri is an American restaurateur, author, television personality, and game show host. He co-owns five restaurants in California and is widely known for his television series on the Food Network.

By mid-2010, the Food Network had made Fieri the "face of the network." In 2010, the New York Times reported that Fieri brought an "element of rowdy, mass-market culture to American food television," a
More about Guy Fieri...
More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints Guy Fieri Food: Cookin' It, Livin' It, Lovin' It Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: The Funky Finds in Flavortown: America's Classic Joints and Killer Comfort Food Guy Fieri: On Fire Guy on Fire: 130 Recipes for Adventures in Outdoor Cooking