Start by marking “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!” as Want to Read:
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,574 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Food Network star Guy Fieri takes you on a tour of America's most colorful diners, drive-ins, and dives in this tie-in to his enormously popular television show, complete with recipes, photos, and memorabilia.

Packed with Guy's iconic personality, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives follows his hot-rod trips around the country, mapping out the best places most of us have never hea
Published October 28th 2008 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
84th out of 972 books — 959 voters
Everyday Italian by Giada De LaurentiisMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildGiada's Kitchen by Giada De LaurentiisGordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course by Gordon Ramsay30-Minute Meals 2 by Rachael Ray
Cookbooks as seen on Television
14th out of 63 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Art
Jan 07, 2014 Art rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, food
I love this TV show. I think the book is not as good in covering the different eateries, but then again I don't know how you can translate that from the TV show into book form and keep the magic and energy. I did enjoy the writing and little side notes. The best part of this book is us looking forward to trying to cook some of these recipes. I think we have several weeks of new dinners to try out from this book.
Robert
May 19, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: foodies
Like most food journey books this one contains recipes from the sites visited. And most of these are fairly easy to follow with mostly easily obtainable ingredients. I like the Food Network show by this name, not so much Guy Fieri himself. I just enjoy seeing all of the great colorful roadside stops and the great food being prepared at this little spots in the road. That is not in this book at all. Imagine the show with all of the color and pizazz sucked out of it. With black and white photos, n ...more
Melissa
Sep 28, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: food, cookbook
I love the FoodNetwork show that this cookbook is based off of. Seriously, I practically worship it and Guy Fieri and make it a point to go to all the places I can that have been featured on the show. Which means, that when this book came out, it of course had to go on my shelf. But now, I've owned it a few years, and have still rarely selected it as a go-to cookbook. But I'm still obsessed with the show.

For those not familiar with Guy Fieri or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, it's a show where chef
Misfit
Oct 22, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it
Recommended to Misfit by: received through Amazon Vine
And one book I will take on my next road trip - although why CaveMan Chicken is not in here......

Guy Fieri from the Food Channel takes the reader on a tour of his favorite Diners Drive-Ins and Dives around the country. The book is broken up into regional sections - Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, South, Midwest and West & Southwest. Each place gets a two page bit with pictures describing the restaurant, its history, owners and their specialty to fame. There's also a box on a sidebar called "Trac
Michael
May 17, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives
By Guy Fieri with Ann Volkwein
Review by Michael Wallace

“Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” is a book written by Guy Fieri, cuisine genius. He also has a hit TV s how with him as the host. Guy travels all around the country in search of the best and most unique restaurants, hence the name. This book contains a collection of Guy’s reviews of the restaurants and recipes from these culinary adventures around the country.

If you have ever seen the TV show “Diners, Drive-ins, and Div
Angel
Dec 31, 2011 Angel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hardcore fans of DDD & other Food Network fans
This is an ok book to browse. Especially neat to find those places in your state. If you are a fan of the show, you will probably like this book very much. I am not a fan of the show. I like the idea of the show-- finding those unique eateries that are a piece of Americana and give you great memories of a road trip or a good meal or both. However, I can't really stand Guy Fieri. I did watch the show in the early seasons, but as his schtick seemed to just get worse, I got tired of it and stopped ...more
Julie
Aug 07, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, bucket-list
My husband and I purchased this book mostly as a way to check-off the list of dives in the back of the book. Each time we eat at one we check the box and write the date next to it! Makes for a fun foodie-bucket list of sorts. I haven't tried to use it for the actual recipes, and I agree with others that it would be nice if the pages included color photos, but it serves its purpose.
Angie
Jun 29, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and thought I would check out this book to see if it had some of the recipes I have heard on the show. The book takes us throughout the country to place Fieri has visited on the show. The intros to each location are typical Guy Fieri and really remind me of the show. He does give us a lot of background and reminds us about what makes the place special. I really enjoyed the pictures and the guy asides. I didn't try any of the recipes and some of them are definit ...more
Monique
Sep 24, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
What is it not to like about Guy Fieri? I love his show (Diner, Drive-ins & Dives) as he showcases the mom and pop diners across America. The storybook fashion and presentation of recipes is unique but the recipes are not so unusual. There are over 60 recipes from nearly 60 eateries all arranged according to region. The reader can use the book as a road map for good eats by using the “Track It Down” listing which provides the address, phone number and website. There are tidbits of history, p ...more
Maria
Jan 24, 2015 Maria rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this, I do enjoy the tv show but it doesn't translate well into book version. The best thing about this book are the recipes but these are too few and far between (he chooses one from each diner).
BJ
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is the companion book to Guy Fieri's show of the same name on the Food Network. It's one of my favorite shows on the Food Network and he is one of my favorite chefs. The book however, while containing intersting information about the different establishments is a little disappointing with the recipes. Most of the recipes given by the diner chefs have "secret ingredients" that are not given. So even if you make them at home, they won't taste the same as what you have e ...more
Pat Murphy
Aug 08, 2015 Pat Murphy rated it really liked it
If you like the tv show Diners, Drive-inns, and Dives, which I do, you will like this. Guy Fieri visits small eateries throughout the states and tells about them in his wonderful style.
Mary
Jan 29, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
I love Guy Fieri, and love his "Triple D" show. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I love the 50's look and feel, and the cute little stories were ok. The recipes just didn't do it for me.
Sylvia
Mar 19, 2015 Sylvia rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Some interesting stories, but not really a "go-to" cookbook.
Lisa
I love finding off the wall dives when travelling. Guy Fieri shared recipes from some of the diners he's stopped in throughout the U.S. I can't wait to try the recipes for Captain Crunch French Toast, Chunky Monkey Pancakes, and Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese. My main complaint with this cookbook is it showed pictures of food, which made my mouth water, but didn't have recipes; and it didn't include pictures of the food it had recipes for.
Ann Marie
I am not a huge fan of DDD, as a matter of fact I think it is on entirely to frequently! But I do enjoy catching it occassionly. I can only take Guy's over the top personality in small doses. That being said I did think this book was pretty good. I enjoyed reading about these small, independently owned establishments. And the recipes that were included were pretty interesting. I have by no means made them all but I did like reading them.
James Emerson
Feb 04, 2014 James Emerson rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book, but don't take this as an endorsement of the author.
Sally
Apr 04, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it
Woo Hoo! My copy is signed by the man himself. My friends and I are playing Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives BINGO, and we've been to many places out here in SoCal. Kalua Pork Egg Rolls at the North End Kaffe, the Mess at Schooner or Later, and absolutely EVERYTHING at the At Last Cafe! We never would have found those places if not for Triple D. This book has some great recipes, and I can't wait to pick up the next volume.
Bert Edens
Sep 15, 2010 Bert Edens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This was just a fun read. As a big fan of the show, I was hoping for more signature recipes, but I also understand a business being reluctant to give up that information. Still, it was great to read some of the history behind the eateries, learn some of their secrets, and have a few laughs along the way. Would have liked to see more pictures of restaurants and staff and less of Guy, but hey, it's his show :)
Joanne
Jun 04, 2011 Joanne rated it it was ok
I have watched Guy Fieri on TV and have enjoyed his show. I wanted something that wasn't deep reading and thought this would fit the bill. It did. I just didn't find it very interesting and, since I don't cook and there are many recipes in this book, I really was rather bored. So, if you are interested in recipes from some interesting diners, look at this book. You might like it.
Dani
Feb 17, 2010 Dani added it
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show.
Reading this book is almost like watching the TV show. I could hear Fieri's voice as I read the descriptions of each establishment. My only disappointment is that I thought the recipes would be mostly sandwiches, since that is what I see on the show. Instead, it has recipes for a lot of non-sandwich dishes. Still, this is a fun cookbook to flip through if you are a Guy Fieri fan.
Shawna Mason
Dec 10, 2015 Shawna Mason rated it liked it
This book not only contained some delicious recipes, but the stories of their origins; the unique places they are made. Food is often synonymous with place for me, and this book captures that feeling. There are other books in this series and I scoured them for Kansas City, MO restaurants for our upcoming vacations and came up with a couple of great places to check out.
Amy
Feb 06, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Just a book to peruse, unless it hits a "Dive" from somewhere you've lived or visited, then you might read the blurb. I found just one recipe I wanted to try, and I'd give it 5 stars. The Blue Ribbon Cinnamon Rolls - I have never had a dough turn out so good (sorry Pioneer Woman), and using my own frosting recipe, the family absolutely loved these "Cinnabon" sized treats.
Linda C
Jul 22, 2012 Linda C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This is the companion book to the first season of the show on the Food Network. Guy doesn’t go to every state but he covers quite a few (29). I’ve referred to this when we’ve traveled and actually ate at the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH; it was good. Not many have been on our travel route, but there are some that sound like they would be worth the side trip.
Steve
May 02, 2009 Steve rated it liked it
This is more of a reference book and recipe book, not one that you'd actually "read". I went to four restuarants in the book so far (3 in Arizona, 1 in New Jersey), and they were all decent, but not as good as the restaurants in the far superior "Road Food" book (also listed in my books). I'll try and update my review as I sample more places..

Colleen Martin
Mar 26, 2009 Colleen Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Seemed kind of sacrilegous that a person as colorful as Guy Fieri should be relegated to such a drab book. Where were the bright photos and illustrations?? That said, the recipes contained therein are top-notch. I only had time to sample a few, but they tasted as good as they looked on the show. And the Cap'n Crunch French Toast is a must-try...delicious!
Alexis
Jan 19, 2012 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: culinary
This cook book was ok. Not really inspiring, but a bit unique. I, personally, am not into all of that meat and grease, but this book might just tickle your fancy if you are catering a Super Bowl Party or like to roast anything that is dead over a fire pit and slather it with sauce. Perfect coffee table book for a man cave.
Amy
Apr 13, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
Very interesting! Guy Fieri travels to various restaurants across the United States on his way to "Flavortown". During his visits, we learn about the history of the restaurant and obtain a recipe or two from there.

The only thing that would have made this book better was if he had chosen a place or two in Ohio!
Steven Peterson
Nov 29, 2008 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing
Do you ever watch Guy's Food Network show, "Diners, Drive-Ins , and Dives"? And like it? If so, this book is for you.

He describes some of the places that he has reviewed; for each, he also shows an illustrative recipe. Yummie!

I do enjoy this show. If you do, you will like this book.
Angela
Apr 13, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Another one of my guilty pleasures, cooking shows and cookbooks. I'm not too worried about making any of these recipes because they all usually use some type of an industrial deep fryer! I'm glad that I don't have one, they scare me. These type of cookbooks are fun to read and look through.
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Paula Deen & Friends: Paula Deen & Friends
  • Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
Guy Fieri is an American restaurateur, author, television personality, and game show host. He co-owns five restaurants in California and is widely known for his television series on the Food Network.

By mid-2010, the Food Network had made Fieri the "face of the network." In 2010, the New York Times reported that Fieri brought an "element of rowdy, mass-market culture to American food television," a
More about Guy Fieri...