Start by marking “The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)

The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman #9)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"DEAR KINKY: I HAVE NOW READ ALL YOUR BOOKS. MORE PLEASE. I REALLY NEED THE LAUGHS."
--Bill Clinton

A beautiful woman, a missing husband, and a private eye with eyes for his comely client. It's the classic hardboiled-mystery setup. But in the grip of Kinky Friedman, expect one of the wildest, wackiest, and weirdest rides of your life!

"A novel to be read for the sheer joy of...more
Published August 26th 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published August 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover

Coyle
I'm a newcomer to mystery in general (other than a brief fling through the Sherlock Holmes stories in high school), so I'm never really sure how to judge a mystery. My fallback is: did it entertain me? This is a broad enough category (I think) that it leaves lots of wiggle room for the author in terms of balance between plot, narrative, character development, and, well, everything else and lots more wiggle room for me as a reader.

So that being said, I think this book is a solid 3.5 stars. Fried...more
Charles Kerns
If you like infantile, vulgar, cheap-shot, left-wing, sniggering, woman-objectifying, whitetrashculture, adolescent, near-the-edge-gay glomping, 60s radical leftover, scatological, cigar chomping, male-man humor from sexagenarian Texan, Jewish country singer (Did I leave anything out? Oh he worked for Willie Nelson running for governor, and tried it himself too), this book is for you. You get references to schoolboy celebs from the 50s: Big John and Sparky(radio), Captain Midnight(B&W TV); a...more
Monica
There wasn't much challange in this book but overall it was fun to read. Kinky's wit was my main motivation to keep reading. I did find a lot of his comments amusing.
Ellie
This and Elvis are my 2 favorites. If you love Kinky, you'll love these. If you don't...well, you're probably not reading this.
bigmuzz
another great detective romp by the kinkster... (i gotta get me a bull-horn to drink out of) haha
Susan
Not as good as his last one (Armadillo...) but even a bad Kinky is still ok with me…
Roxana
Light, humorous, fun read. Looking forward to reading more of his books!
Filthy
I love Kinky Friedman! This one is a funny off center mystery!
enjoyed it!
Judi
Kinky Friedman, the protagonist (not the author) is an ex-country western singer turned private eye. As in all hard-boiled detective novels, a beautiful woman seeks his services. She wants him to find her missing husband. Meanwhile, Kinky's best friend, journalist Mike McCarthy, sees green men, receives calls from an improbable 107 year old mobster, has problems with his electrical appliances and finally, has visits from what appear to be Men In Black. The story is zany and the one-liners are ex...more
Tara
While reading a book about the state (and the blame) of our country's finances, I wanted a break... I wanted to read something painless and light-hearted. So, I picked up another $0.94 Snowbound deal that's been hanging out on my bookshelf and read it in two days. It has the typical plot twists one would expect from a mystery novel. But, if you are at all familiar with the author (musician/politician), you will have already guessed that there is a lot about this novel that is very atypical. Kink...more
Frederick
Jan 15, 2008 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Humor
I'm giving the Kinky Friedman books which I'm selecting five stars each, because their titles are so funny.
I'll go so far as to explain this particular title. J. Edgar Hoover, of course, was head of the FBI from its inception until his death in 1972 or so. He was ubiquitous. Every American recognized him. He had a sullen face and disturbing hair with no part, combed back with greasy kid stuff over a dome which held the secrets of the good and the bad alike. T. S. Eliot wrote a poem, famous in th...more
Ms_prue
My first Kinky Friedman book, and I was expecting it to be even weirder than it was, but it still didn't disappoint.
Mike
Diverting. Not ashamed of repeating jokes & sayings.
UK paperback edition published in 1997 by clays lts, st ive plc, faber & faber

notes
2..phone answer..start talkin'
House of Pain
31..Dickens: a fellow passenger to the grave
36..w c fields loved the rain...anecdote, hopefully not apochryphal, when he was dying, his mistress often went outside, and unbeknownst to fields, and sprayed the roof of the house
41..we're men of the world. we live. we love. we will, on occasion, take a drink.
121..Wi...more
Nathan
Oct 06, 2007 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Liberal fans of Texas politics.
Shelves: fiction
Only Kinky Friedman could write a book featuring F.B.I. agents dressed as aliens. Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover is the classic American detective novel stood flat on its head. There's a reason Joseph Heller, author of Catch-22 (quite possibly the funniest and most profound work of Western Literature), praises Friedman. Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover reads like a slightly quirkier Raymond Chandler story, and it is hard to put down and harder still to not enjoy.

NC
Steve Sarrica
Kinky Friedman's "The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover" is a pretty-much-by-the-numbers hard-boiled detective yarn that sets itself apart with searing wit and laugh-out-loud humor. The story is a bit thin and the resolution is perfunctory, but the journey is the reward. I think there is more Kinky Friedman in my future.
Katie
Apr 20, 2007 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kinksters ;-)
not my favourite kinky friedman novel, and it kind of took a while to get into, but if you're a friend of the kinkster, it's worth the read. if you're new to kinky, though, i'd try one of his other novels. God Bless John Wayne definitely #1 and also Elvis, Jesus and Coca-Cola, if you're up for it.
ElizaBeth
While I did like this book, I couldn't help but compare him to Tom Robbins, and Robbins is infinitely my preferred author (similar to my comparison between Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez, in which Allende seems to copy his style but doesn't hold a candle to his quality).
Jean
Jul 19, 2011 Jean added it
It was a silly book. I tried to loan it to other people and my friends politely returned it after either 1 paragraph or 1 page. Guess Kinky is an acquired taste.
I would read another one but it will be a while.
Mark
The "Kinkster" is on a missing husband case and as in the others the characxterization and plor rake a backseat to Friedman's "stream of consciousness" humor and other assorted puns....but, fun!!!
Heather
Oct 11, 2008 Heather marked it as on-hold
I'm reading a Hebrew translation, and so far I do NOT recommend this translation. It's very un-idiomatic. I have to keep translating it back to English in my head for it to make sense.
Slarson6
Another mystery unfolds on Vandam st for the Kinkster.

I liked this one very much. It really didn't end the way I imagined, and for that was plesantly surprised!
Lee
I love Kinky but he was too cute in this one. Too much wise cracking on every page. An easy read and pleasant.
Susie
Kind of an odd book. Unfortunately, the plot wasn't nearly as clever as many of the quirky little witicisms in it.
Maura
Funny, irreverent, fast-paced. An interesting diversion.
sean
Heard good things about this guy. Was not impressed.
Clif Smith
I always have fun with Kinky things.
Carol
  • Terminal (Burke, #17)
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Wilderness
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • Hard Revolution
  • The Case Of The Spurious Spinster
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie...more
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned