The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)

The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Book by Mooney, Chris
Published July 1st 2008 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Ângela Costa
"O Amigo Secreto" foi mais um livro, que enquanto não acabei, não houve descanso!!! Dei muitas vezes comigo ansiosamente a contar os minutos que faltavam para poder novamente prosseguir a sua leitura. Simplesmente fantástico, adorei e recomendo aos fãs do policial/thriller.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Kisah Darby McCormick berlanjut, setelah kasus the treveler (Buku Pertama: The Missing, Darby McCormick #1), kini Darby dihadapkan dalam kasus baru, setelah menghilang kurang lebih 8 bulan Emma Hale yang merupakan anak dari konglomerat Boston, Jonathan Hale, ditemukan telah menjadi mayat, jasadnya mengambang terbungkus plastik dengan luka tembakan dibelakang kepalanya.

Tetapi Emma bukanlah korban satu-satunya, Judith Chen ditemukan juga dalam kondisi yang sama persis dengan Emma dan masing-masin...more
Karen

THE SECRET FRIEND is a contemporary American crime fiction thriller. A serial killer with their own desperate and cruel background. A religious element. A corrupt ex-FBI agent. A bad cop. And a CSI - Darby McCormick - as the central protagonist. Darby is pulled into the case of Emma Hale and finds herself up against a lot of things. There's the lack of evidence or an explanation for why somebody would have snatched Emma, kept her alive for months, and then killed her. There's Emma's powerful and...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Back to reading Chris Mooney, the second of his series, the first one "The Missing" was very enjoyable, so now I have a new series, C.S.I. (C.S.U.) Darby McCormick. Two students (female) have been abducted, one kept for 6 months, then shot and dumped in the river and Darby is called in to a new specialised unit C.S.U. and asked to lead the investigation by the under-pressure Commissioner. Another student is soon abducted and the race is on to find her before the killer strikes again. There's a r...more
Heidi
Mar 28, 2009 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Amy Houpt, Lisa Helmick
Recommended to Heidi by: Russ Ilg
I don't give out the 5 stars lightly. I loved this book. I read it in 2 days and could have read it straight through if had been allowed!

I enjoyed the plot, technical aspects and the characters as well! I will be looking for more of Chris Mooney's books for sure!
Simbahenom
reviewnya ngikut di sini aja ya michiyo fujiwara
A. Moses Levitt
Ini salah satu buku bagus yang diberi Obral sampe harganya tinggal Rp 15.000. Sungguh beruntung mendapatkan buku2 dengan genre kriminal-ritual-agamis seperti ini dengan harga murah.

Seperti kebanyakan novel tulisan orang Amerika-Eropa dengan genre ini, maka biasanya kisahnya seputar tindak kriminal pembunuhan. Adapun pembunuhan itu mempunyai visi dan misi, semacam maksud yang hendak dicapai, semacam ritual untuk memperkenalkan sesuatu.

Yang menarik--dan sering klise--adalah korbannya cenderung g...more
Kevin Cross
Was considering giving this a 5 star review as it really was a page turner. Much better than the first in the Darby McCormick series, this one (number 2 in the series) again follows our main protagonist's search for a serial killer. The plot itself I found much tighter than the first book in this series, and Mooney's writing skills and dialogue seem to have improved considerably since book 1 also.

A great read. Now on to number 3 - The Dead Room.
Cat Freckleton
This is the second Chris Mooney book I have read and after The Missing which I enjoyed I had high hopes for this and wasn't disappointed. Darby is back, this time after a religious nut with mother issues who is kidnapping young college women. He's looking for love but when they don't play ball (wonder why that is!!!) they get bumped off Dirty Harry style!! The addition of Malcolm Fletcher actually made this book for me!! Now this is a man I wouldn't like to piss off! Ex-FBI profiler turned The E...more
Jane Francisca
Before this novel, there is The Missing by Chris Mooney too, and I should read it first. But no worry I will find it later.

I like thriller and mystery, when I'm read it, I'm thinking too like the main character (Darby), guessing who and where and how this novel end it. This novel I like it but not to surprise me (that's why my other friend suggest me read The Missing first, so I can get 'the' feeling).

I like the last page which describe Darby's thought about the cruelty that done by Walter and w...more
Lauren
The Secret Friend
4 Stars

An entertaining follow up to The Missing but not as thrilling or suspenseful.

There are numerous sub-plots that ultimately merge into a cohesive whole but the pacing is slow. The serial killer story is well-developed and the forensic details are interesting as is the introduction of a vigilante FBI agent. Nevertheless, it lacks that elusive something that makes it unputdownable.

Darby is an intelligent and resourceful heroine and the secondary cast are diverse and compell...more
Michelle Lisle
Excellent book, really gripping and I couldn't put it down!
Jasmin
Der Schreibstil ist zwar flüssig, doch die Geschichte recht langweilig.
Kat
Really, it was a 3.5 stars book, but I had to round it up rather than down. I wish I had read 'The Missing' first because Darby did not come across as a strong enough character to carry a novel, but she may have in the preceding novel where renegade FBI agent, Fletcher, did not have her on a lead. Still, 'The Secret Friend' kept me engaged, and I read until I fell asleep last night and picked it up and finished it this morning.
Kelly Thompson
Not impressed at all. In fact I got kind of bored reading this. Time for a different author I think.
Godzilla
Good on technical stuff, but thin on plot.

The characters aren't particularly strong or believable. But if you suspend your disbelief the book rockets along at a good pace. Fairly gory, and it felt overdone in places.

I can't say I'd be rushing to pick up another novel by this author, but as it was given to me by a friend, I don't want to be too critical either.
Keri
Very good book. Very intense. Darby McCormick is called to a special CSI task force to try and solve a couple of murders of young women. Darby is suddenly thrust into a place where she is not quite sure whom her enemies or friends really are except for her crush buddy Coop. Chris Mooney is a very talented writer and I think is under-appreciated.
Kerry
Was surprisingly disappointed by this! I love Mooney's novels, and this one started out as exciting and gripping as all the rest, but completely trailed off at the end, with the concluding pages being a complete anticlimax.

Very very disappointed, the weakest of the Darby McCormick novels.
Rebecca
I didn't enjoy this book as much as Chris Mooney's other books, I thought the introduction of Malcolm Fletcher was interesting but I thought the plotline of the missing girls was average, though I liked that the killer had an interesting backstory.
Fatma Alhilal

The writing was beautiful, reading the many angles of diff characters was very interesting. The suspense, buildup were just right. The last few pages made me clench the book in anticipation.
Pauline
Released this was the second in a series but decided to read it. Enjoyed it. Liked the main female character and can see her developing well. Will try now for the first in the series and any others.
Shiela
Not as strong as the first in the series but a thrilling read nevertheless. Will definitely try and get my hands on the rest of the series.
Anthony
Was so wrapped up in this one! Was better and more intense then the first. It got right to the action and didn't let up. Definitely a good read!
Jilleesa
Good book! Had a hard time putting it down. I love how Darby isn't a whiny, whimpy woman.
Melissa
this book was great highly recommend this book for fans of Chris mooney
Belinda jones
i really enjoyed this..kept me interested and guessing right until the end.
One of my favourite books, I've even read it three times. !
Bonita
Bonita marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
  • The Girls He Adored
  • Blood Ties
  • Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • The 50/50 Killer
  • The Cleaner: A Thriller
  • Crosscut
  • Darkhouse
  • Der Augenjäger
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter Series #1)
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • The Death List
  • Plea of Insanity
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
Chris Mooney is the critically acclaimed author of Deviant Ways, World Without End, and Remembering Sarah, which was nominated for the Barry Award and the Edgar Award for Best Novel. He lives in Boston with his wife and son.

Series:
* Darby McCormick
More about Chris Mooney...
The Missing (Darby McCormick #1) The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3) The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4) Deviant Ways The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)