Start by marking “The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)

The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)

Two dead girls in the river

Two tiny statues of the Virgin Mary concealed in their clothing

One CSI on the hunt for their killer

CSI Darby McCormick is assigned to the case and uncovers a piece of
Published July 1st 2008 by Penguin Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Friend

Karen
Jul 02, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books, crime

THE SECRET FRIEND is a contemporary American crime fiction thriller. A serial killer with their own desperate and cruel background. A religious element. A corrupt ex-FBI agent. A bad cop. And a CSI - Darby McCormick - as the central protagonist. Darby is pulled into the case of Emma Hale and finds herself up against a lot of things. There's the lack of evidence or an explanation for why somebody would have snatched Emma, kept her alive for months, and then killed her. There's Emma's powerful and
Ângela Costa
Sep 10, 2013 Ângela Costa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"O Amigo Secreto" foi mais um livro, que enquanto não acabei, não houve descanso!!! Dei muitas vezes comigo ansiosamente a contar os minutos que faltavam para poder novamente prosseguir a sua leitura. Simplesmente fantástico, adorei e recomendo aos fãs do policial/thriller.
Valerie Penny
May 03, 2014 Valerie Penny rated it liked it
Christopher Cole "Chris" Mooney is an American journalist, author and academic who focuses on science in politics. He was born on September 20, 1977 in Mesa, Arizona, USA. He graduated in English from Yale in 1999 and since 2010 has been a member of the board of the American Geophysical Union.

I cannot remember how I came across this book, but I am glad I did. It is a different kind of crime fiction to that which I normally read. The Secret Friend is a contemporary American crime fiction thriller
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Kisah Darby McCormick berlanjut, setelah kasus the treveler (Buku Pertama: The Missing, Darby McCormick #1), kini Darby dihadapkan dalam kasus baru, setelah menghilang kurang lebih 8 bulan Emma Hale yang merupakan anak dari konglomerat Boston, Jonathan Hale, ditemukan telah menjadi mayat, jasadnya mengambang terbungkus plastik dengan luka tembakan dibelakang kepalanya.

Tetapi Emma bukanlah korban satu-satunya, Judith Chen ditemukan juga dalam kondisi yang sama persis dengan Emma dan masing-masin
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Jul 18, 2011 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
Back to reading Chris Mooney, the second of his series, the first one "The Missing" was very enjoyable, so now I have a new series, C.S.I. (C.S.U.) Darby McCormick. Two students (female) have been abducted, one kept for 6 months, then shot and dumped in the river and Darby is called in to a new specialised unit C.S.U. and asked to lead the investigation by the under-pressure Commissioner. Another student is soon abducted and the race is on to find her before the killer strikes again. There's a r ...more
Heidi
Mar 28, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amy Houpt, Lisa Helmick
Recommended to Heidi by: Russ Ilg
I don't give out the 5 stars lightly. I loved this book. I read it in 2 days and could have read it straight through if had been allowed!

I enjoyed the plot, technical aspects and the characters as well! I will be looking for more of Chris Mooney's books for sure!
Sara
Oct 08, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thriller
wow, another amazing book from Chris Mooney, he has a fantastic way of grabbing your attention from the first page, I can't wait to read more of his books :)
Lee
Jun 28, 2015 Lee rated it it was amazing
Just love this author, another great book that totally kept me engrossed the whole way through. Will definitely be reading his remaining books.
Zorana
Sep 19, 2016 Zorana rated it really liked it
Steta sto je u Hr.preveden samo jedan nastavak i to 2.po redu iz serijala o Darby McCormic.
Sheila
Feb 02, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a serial kidnapper/killer on the loose in Boston and Darby is on the case. Lots of characters in this one including a rogue cop and a former FBI profiler.
Simbahenom
Apr 15, 2012 Simbahenom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obral
reviewnya ngikut di sini aja ya michiyo fujiwara
Charlene Quinn
Jan 06, 2017 Charlene Quinn rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Chris Mooney. Had me hooked from start to finish
Shaun
Jan 14, 2015 Shaun rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2015
It's only been a little over a day since I finished the first book in the Darby McCormick series, The Missing, but I enjoyed it so much that here I am writing my review for the second book in the series, after one sleepless night and a day of me walking round like a zombie until I could come home and continue reading. I can definitely see this becoming a favourite series of mine if further books in the series improve on what came before, the potential is evident when reading, I just feel certain ...more
Lainy

Blurb from Goodreads

Two dead girls in the river

Two tiny statues of the Virgin Mary concealed in their clothing

One CSI on the hunt for their killer

CSI Darby McCormick is assigned to the case and uncovers a piece of overlooked evidence from the Hale investigation w
A. Moses Levitt
Ini salah satu buku bagus yang diberi Obral sampe harganya tinggal Rp 15.000. Sungguh beruntung mendapatkan buku2 dengan genre kriminal-ritual-agamis seperti ini dengan harga murah.

Seperti kebanyakan novel tulisan orang Amerika-Eropa dengan genre ini, maka biasanya kisahnya seputar tindak kriminal pembunuhan. Adapun pembunuhan itu mempunyai visi dan misi, semacam maksud yang hendak dicapai, semacam ritual untuk memperkenalkan sesuatu.

Yang menarik--dan sering klise--adalah korbannya cenderung g
Moons leestips
Jul 20, 2015 Moons leestips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelezen
Van zijn vorige thriller Denk aan Sarah ben ik groot fan, nu maar hopen dat dit verhaal me net zo pakt. En ja dat doet het, een verhaal met een forensisch gedeelte erin heerlijk ik houd er van, al die details. Je wordt niet heel lang in spanning gehouden wie de dader kan zijn want ook hij komt aan het woord. Dat vind ik jammer, in mijn hoofd gaan er altijd hele theorieën over wie de dader kan zijn. Maar hier niet. En toch is het niet vervelend, want je gaat mee in de dader zijn hoofd en het hoe ...more
Olga HL
Nov 22, 2016 Olga HL rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I like thrillers. But there are not so many that can really impress. I enjoyed a lot reading Chris Mooney's book. Solid thriller. Great plot. It was a real page-turner. The story held my attention till the last page. And the end was amazing. Definitely a good read!

So, we have two dead young women with tiny statues of the Virgin Mary concealed in their clothing, one missing, a "religious" maniac and a talented team of investigators, as well as a legendary former FBI agent for many years wanted by
aisha hashmi
Jun 09, 2016 aisha hashmi rated it it was amazing
This was my first Darby book. It was give to me by a friend to read at the gym, I had no idea it would be so good! I wet and got the first in the series after a few chapters so I could read them in order, and am I glad that I did! But about THIS book. Darby is the one that you hope will be there to stand for you if you are ever murdered, I even will liken her with Eve Dallas without the smat mouth and take no B.. from anyone attitude, and from me, that is a HUGE compliment!!!!
If you read my revi
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 24, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"Two dead girls in the river. Two tiny statues of the Virgin Mary concealed in their clothing. One CSI on the hunt for their killer. When Judith Chen is found floating in Boston's Harbour, links are made with the murder of Emma Hale, a student who vanished without trace, only for her body to wash up months later. CSI Darby McCormick is assigned to the case and uncovers a piece of overlooked evidence from the Hale investigation - which brings her into contact with Malcolm Fletcher, a forme
Cat Freckleton
Apr 09, 2013 Cat Freckleton rated it it was amazing
This is the second Chris Mooney book I have read and after The Missing which I enjoyed I had high hopes for this and wasn't disappointed. Darby is back, this time after a religious nut with mother issues who is kidnapping young college women. He's looking for love but when they don't play ball (wonder why that is!!!) they get bumped off Dirty Harry style!! The addition of Malcolm Fletcher actually made this book for me!! Now this is a man I wouldn't like to piss off! Ex-FBI profiler turned The E ...more
Jane Francisca
Before this novel, there is The Missing by Chris Mooney too, and I should read it first. But no worry I will find it later.

I like thriller and mystery, when I'm read it, I'm thinking too like the main character (Darby), guessing who and where and how this novel end it. This novel I like it but not to surprise me (that's why my other friend suggest me read The Missing first, so I can get 'the' feeling).

I like the last page which describe Darby's thought about the cruelty that done by Walter and w
Lauren
The Secret Friend
4 Stars

An entertaining follow up to The Missing but not as thrilling or suspenseful.

There are numerous sub-plots that ultimately merge into a cohesive whole but the pacing is slow. The serial killer story is well-developed and the forensic details are interesting as is the introduction of a vigilante FBI agent. Nevertheless, it lacks that elusive something that makes it unputdownable.

Darby is an intelligent and resourceful heroine and the secondary cast are diverse and compell
Natalie
Jul 10, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
This book was very hard to find, as it wasn't published in the United States (there wasn't an available copy at a library anywhere in Wisconsin when I was trying to find it). It took about 3 weeks to get via interlibrary loan. But I liked the first one, so it was worth the wait. I liked this book more than the first one in the series. I especially like how the books are never boring -- there is always a new twist or something I'm looking forward to in the book. However, I think the book could ha ...more
Kat
Nov 04, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, it was a 3.5 stars book, but I had to round it up rather than down. I wish I had read 'The Missing' first because Darby did not come across as a strong enough character to carry a novel, but she may have in the preceding novel where renegade FBI agent, Fletcher, did not have her on a lead. Still, 'The Secret Friend' kept me engaged, and I read until I fell asleep last night and picked it up and finished it this morning.
Kevin Cross
Feb 27, 2014 Kevin Cross rated it really liked it
Was considering giving this a 5 star review as it really was a page turner. Much better than the first in the Darby McCormick series, this one (number 2 in the series) again follows our main protagonist's search for a serial killer. The plot itself I found much tighter than the first book in this series, and Mooney's writing skills and dialogue seem to have improved considerably since book 1 also.

A great read. Now on to number 3 - The Dead Room.
Dibi
Mar 14, 2016 Dibi rated it liked it
The secret friend no será el libro de tu vida, ni el libro que te cambie por completo, pero si te mantendrá entretenida por un par de horas. Me gusta como Chris Mooney maneja los alternativos puntos de vista y a pesar de que conoces la mente del asesino desde el comienzo, esto no lo hace ni aburrido o monótono. Pero se que es solo por la escritura de este hombre.
Darby McCormick es la clase de protagonista que me encanta leer, y si puedo devorarme toda esta saga, estaré encantada con ello.
Godzilla
Nov 10, 2008 Godzilla rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, 2008
Good on technical stuff, but thin on plot.

The characters aren't particularly strong or believable. But if you suspend your disbelief the book rockets along at a good pace. Fairly gory, and it felt overdone in places.

I can't say I'd be rushing to pick up another novel by this author, but as it was given to me by a friend, I don't want to be too critical either.
Keri
May 13, 2010 Keri rated it really liked it
Very good book. Very intense. Darby McCormick is called to a special CSI task force to try and solve a couple of murders of young women. Darby is suddenly thrust into a place where she is not quite sure whom her enemies or friends really are except for her crush buddy Coop. Chris Mooney is a very talented writer and I think is under-appreciated.
Mary Johnson
Oct 12, 2016 Mary Johnson rated it liked it
The Secret Friend by Chris Mooney
A complex story with stories within stories, I sometimes lost sight of the main thread. As a result, I did not enjoy this book as much as the first.

I will continue with the series, hoping that the original promise can be fulfilled.
Khaled
Jul 24, 2016 Khaled rated it it was ok
I've either read too many good thrillers or got old but the secret friend didn't do it for me.

I liked the suspense and the plot at the the beginning but as I kept reading it just started to get incoherent and disconnected for me.
  • Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Fear Itself
  • De ti herskere
  • Der Federmann
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Blood Ties
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)
  • Signature Kill (Frank Behr #4)
  • The Cleaner (Cleaner, #1)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Trap for Cinderella
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome #2)
  • The Clue in the Antique Trunk (Nancy Drew, #105)
  • Visibility
Chris Mooney is the critically acclaimed author of Deviant Ways, World Without End, and Remembering Sarah, which was nominated for the Barry Award and the Edgar Award for Best Novel. He lives in Boston with his wife and son.

Series:
* Darby McCormick
More about Chris Mooney...

Darby McCormick (7 books)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
  • Fear the Dark (Darby McCormick, #5)
  • Every Three Hours (Darby McCormick, #6)
  • Every Pretty Thing (Darby McCormick, #7)