Start by marking “Houses and Homes” as Want to Read:
Houses and Homes

Houses and Homes

The world is full of houses. Big houses and little houses. Houses that stay in one place and houses that move from place to place. Some houses are made of wood or stone; others are made from mud or straw. But all of them are made for families to live in.
Published March 29th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Houses and Homes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houses and Homes

June
Nov 10, 2015 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: multicultural and houses or home requests
Recommended to June by: program reference book
Tried a new homes - houses theme from a reference book. Went over okay, but not sure if I'll repeat next year.
Jonathan
This beautiful picture book is part of a series by Ann Morris that shows how people from many cultures experience the same human needs (others include Loving; Hats, Hats, Hats; Bread, Bread, Bread, and On the Go). While it is a little outadated in terms of how people are dressed in some cultures, for many of the examples, it probably has remained unchanged.
The compelling feature of this book is the setting which changes with each photograph. Along with each picture is a generalization that could
Kelsi
Feb 28, 2014 Kelsi rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
Overall I thought that this was a very creative picture book. I think from the cover I was not expecting what ended up being in the story but I was surprised in a good way! I think that this is a great book for young students to read because the pictures tell so much with such few words. The pictures are all very clear and high quality and give a glimpse into what it is like to live in different houses around the world. I enjoyed this book because I think that often students do not have the ...more
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 Lamar Sanders rated it liked it

Plot: Houses and Homes is a tribute to the diversity of houses and human ingenuity around the world. It compares and contrasts various living structures across the globe and provides lovely photographs of each. The book exposes the reader to the way other cultures live, while getting them to appreicate and give thought to their own homes.
Main Ideas:Geography, Diversity, Living structures, Culture
I would recommend this book for a social studies of goegraphy unit. The book does a good job of "tour
Becky B
A survey of houses from all over the world, the different styles they can take, places they can be, and materials they are made from.

The words in this are very simple, but it does a great job of exploring the diversity of structures that can be called home through the few words and fantastic photographs. The only thing that dates this a little are the clothing styles of some of the Western people, but overall, the variety of structures hasn't changed so this is still a great resource. The back o
Dianne J.
Jul 17, 2011 Dianne J. rated it really liked it
Age of readership: Ages 4-8

Genre: Picture Book with Text and Braille Pages

Diversity: Sighted and Unsighted children/Houses around the world

Illustrations: Color photos

My response to the book: Houses from around the world made of a variation of materials, houseboats, tents, and homes made by women. There are also a couple of grand homes: Buckingham Palace and The White House. This is the first book I have found that has both text and Braille pages.

Curricular/Programming connections: This book can
James Vickery
Sep 17, 2012 James Vickery rated it liked it
Shelves: ell-tesler
Simply put, this book is a book about many people's enviroments around the world. This book discusses the different living conditions, foods and clothing that other cultures have. This book can help students relate to other cultures and come up with differences as well as similarities of different cultures. Mainly this book can help students understand that their own culture is not the only one that should be considered.
Carlee
Apr 01, 2013 Carlee rated it it was ok
Tessa Herrmann
Mar 04, 2014 Tessa Herrmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
I really loved this book partly because of the pictures were so cool to see different houses around the world. It was really interesting to see! The writing was simple and to the point so you could really emphasize looking at the cool pictures!I think kids would really like this because it gives them an idea of how other kids around the world live.
Jessica Benson
Cassidy
Feb 04, 2015 Cassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
A great look at the different homes around the globe. The photos were stunning and the writing was simple and easy to understand. Kids would find it enjoyable and learn more about different cultures.
Spencer
Feb 10, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: febraury
I liked how it included photos of homes from around the world. It gives an idea of all the diversity that there is but at the same time everyone has a home. The short dialog helped the reader focus on the photos. But at the same time the dialog had a good rhythm.
Linda Costello
Mar 02, 2010 Linda Costello rated it liked it
The best part about this book is the wonderful photographs of different homes from around the world. There is not a lot of text in this book. There is an index indicating where the pictures were taken and a corresponding map.
Apr 13, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a very simple story about all the different types of houses that people live in around the world. Suitable for very young children, though older ones might also enjoy the illustrations
Amanda Funnell
I loved the pictures and parallels this book makes. It would be a beautiful introduction to a compare and contrast paper.
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
This is a great book to show students homes from around the world. It shows students that not everyone lives the same way they do.
Roger
Oct 30, 2016 Roger rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
One of my favorite children's picture books is "Come Over to My House." This is like a real-life version with photos instead of drawings. Love it
Claudia
Aug 05, 2009 Claudia rated it liked it
We have so much, what more can I say. This book helped (and will help) us to understand how fortunate we are to live in the kind of home we live in.

Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Kailey Woodruff
Kailey Woodruff rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Rebecca Scala
Rebecca Scala rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Emily Platt
Emily Platt rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Sydnee Killpack
Sydnee Killpack rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Rebecca McGoldrick
Rebecca McGoldrick rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Perri Irwin
Perri Irwin rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Lierin Patterson
Lierin Patterson rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Lenni
Lenni rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Noelle
Noelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2009