Start by marking “Belle And Sebastian” as Want to Read:
Belle And Sebastian

Belle And Sebastian

In the eight years since their first release, Belle and Sebastian have grown from a secretive cult concern into one of the most beloved and revered pop’n’roll bands in the world. Intelligent and sensitive, witty and original, beautiful and bold, their music inspires the kind of devotion not seen since the The Smiths. Their continuing desire to push the boundaries of their ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2008 by Helter Skelter Publishing (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Belle And Sebastian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belle And Sebastian

El
Glasgow writer Paul Whitelaw offers the first Belle & Sebastian biography with his 2005 book. As a first band biography it is complete in discussing the band - both as individual band members as well as the band as a whole. Whitelaw interviewed most of the members of B&S and had access to some of Stuart Murdoch's correspondence. The problem with a lot of music biographies is that they are generally written by some of the biggest fans. On one hand this allows them access to a lot of the i ...more
Rosie Ellen
Well… It kinda sucked. I was really into it at the start but the more I ‘learnt’ (it’s all pretty biased accounts of what happened so how much truth there is in it, I’m not 100%) about them, the more it kind of made me think, these guys are dicks. And I love Belle & Sebastian! I don’t want to hate them or think they’re stuck up, mean bastards. So yeah, this book really wasn’t what I was hoping it would be. Isobel comes off super badly in it, he writes her like she’s this absolute bratty chil ...more
James
Jan 24, 2009 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Belle and Sebastian more before I knew anything about them.
Christopher
Paul Whitelaw's BELLE AND SEBASTIAN: Just a Modern Rock Story is a biography of the Scottish pop band who have eluded major commercial success, but built a rock-solid cult following since 1996. The book was published in 2005, not long after the release of their album DEAR CATASTROPHE WAITRESS. Whitelaw interviewed almost every members of the band past and former, and dedicates much space to the polemics that saw the departure of early members Stuart David and Isobel Campbell.

I expected this book
Mark Leta
It was a bit of a slog to get through, which surprised me being a bigger B & S fan. Some interesting bits about the nature of Stuart and Bel's relationship but hearing the full story here was in total somewhat boring. The band origin stuff to is intriguing but nothing that hasn't been covered in liner notes and an adoring music press a hundred times.

While the author offered some critique of their music and efforts, most of what we get comes off as fan-boy fawning. Back stories of songs and
Rachel Ann Brickner
Jun 24, 2008 Rachel Ann Brickner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: earnest b&s fans
Shelves: music
I'm an ardent B&S fan and to be honest, I was a little disappointed with this book. I was grateful for the information Whitelaw gave, but his tone felt facetious to me and I was annoyed by how much he focused on the relationship between Stuart and Isobel. I definitely think it's a worthwhile read if you're a fan of the band, but I wouldn't read it based on literary merit. Maybe I'm being too critical considering I read it a few years ago. I guess I'll just have to read it again to see if my ...more
Nathan
Feb 22, 2009 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Camera Obscura fans
Shelves: music
At first, I found it difficult to get into this book, as it spent a great deal introducing the characters. I already knew the characters, but I just wanted to get into the story of it all. Once that took off, I was stuck, and I didn't want to put the entire thing down. It's like a bedroom story, to be shared only by those who spent their days wondering about in the world of Belle and Sebastian. It was a great visit.
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
At the moment, the best Belle and Sebastian memoir out there.
Jeff Raymond
A surprisingly interesting rock bioabout one of the admittedly wimpiest bands I love. Sometimes these sort of things are...not good, but this one was fun and interesting. It was good!
Davidhfinkel
Aug 17, 2007 Davidhfinkel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: b&s fans
Shelves: davesdigsyo
very cool band biography. both member sections and release sections. essential for any b&s fan.
Meagan
Dec 22, 2008 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent enough biography of my favorite band.
Michelle
May 15, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: musicians
Fan writer. I only liked it when the writer wrote a little romantically about the brief relationship between Isobell and Stuart.
Anna
May 30, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, music
awful. favorite band, but this book was awful.
Rory
Sep 11, 2007 Rory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs-and-bios
i read this book for one reason: to gather more proof that the belle and sebastian's lead singer is, indeed, straight and will, therefore, one day probably want to make out with me.
Steven Coambs
Sep 21, 2009 Steven Coambs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Belle and Sebastian make me feel young and innocent. This book is written to evoke the same feeling. If you are a fan I would suggest their DVD "Fans Only"
Brian
Oct 05, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great band, crap book.
Ryan
Jul 28, 2013 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Love this band, but this was a terrible attempt at a proper biography.
Jared Hennessy
Jared Hennessy rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Sunil Patel
Sunil Patel rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2007
Angelina
Angelina rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2007
Lorenzo
Lorenzo rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2014
Emma Hall
Emma Hall rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2010
mikael
mikael rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Glenn Maloney
Glenn Maloney rated it really liked it
May 26, 2017
Sweaty
Sweaty rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2009
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014