The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)

The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Book by Klein, Norman M.
Published June 17th 1997 by Verso (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The History of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Forgetting

Mike
An ambitious and utterly powerful, staggering, work of urban history and the history of planning, concerned with how LA has time after time reinvented itself, often to the chagrin of long-time residents. There is, in essence, the author argues no historical Los Angeles but only the present-tense. The author, a professor of history and long-time resident of LA himself, picks up where Mike Davis left off with his seminal City of Quartz, refining the working theory of how Los Angeles began building...more
Ian
"So do not get confused by the glitz. Outwardly, scripted places like Victoria Gardens, or Citywalk, or the Grove may look anti-urban; artificial [...] They seem to epitomize neoliberalism, where every public act is privatized [...] But actually this is meta-urbanism: a metropolitanized suburb (a way to grow public money) [...] The message is paradoxical. These scripted illusions are monuments to the independence of cities, but also to private wealth taking over [...] [C]ities must turn in to de...more
Malcolm
LA is one of those cities we all like to think we know, after all we see it in our mass and popular cultural texts, hear it in the news, read it all over - its sheer ubiquity makes it a know. Norman Klein challenges that notion to argue that our knowledge of LA is a kbowledge based on forgetting, that is popular and mass cultural texts make LA an unknown and continually invwented and reconstrcuted before our very eyes. Contrarian and as such quite brilliantly insightful.
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2012 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It is always dangerous to post an academic book as it is easy for them to go unfinished. That said, so far this book is incredible! I am absolutely loving it and it is speaking to the intersection of a whole lot of stuff I am currently fascinated by. Note: Goodreads has just made me aware there is an updated version. That is not the one I'm reading but now I hope to rectify that situation :(
Raina
delightful account of the history (or erasure of) of LA. loved the chapter about LA in the cinematic imagination (like Blade runner etc). for urbanists or anything interesting in cities of the future.
Maxwell Harwitt
"Why do research when I can just write a whole book of history and earn a teaching position from conjectures based on the little I currently know about the subject?"
KetchupKat
I read this for a class, so it was inevitably tedious at times. It didn't help that there were typos...
Katy
wonderful book. a must read for anyone who is interested in los angeles history and cultural theory.
Amanda Hoskinson
Amanda Hoskinson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Godiva Reisenbichler
Godiva Reisenbichler marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Gusti Fink
Gusti Fink marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Luis Gomez
Luis Gomez marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Braden Goyette
Braden Goyette marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Saxon
Saxon marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Mariya
Mariya marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Madeleine Rrose
Madeleine Rrose is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Aya Nassar
Aya Nassar marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Kimthao
Kimthao is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Vatican to Vegas: A History of Special Effects Seven Minutes: The Life and Death of the American Animated Cartoon Helter Skelter: L.A. Art in the 1990s Twentieth Century Art Theory: Urbanism, Politics, And Mass Culture Norman Klein: Bleeding Through--Layers of Los Angeles, 1920-1986 (Book & DVD-ROM)