Start by marking “The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)” as Want to Read:
The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)

The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Book by Klein, Norman M.
Published June 17th 1997 by Verso (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The History of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Forgetting

Mike
An ambitious and utterly powerful, staggering, work of urban history and the history of planning, concerned with how LA has time after time reinvented itself, often to the chagrin of long-time residents. There is, in essence, the author argues no historical Los Angeles but only the present-tense. The author, a professor of history and long-time resident of LA himself, picks up where Mike Davis left off with his seminal City of Quartz, refining the working theory of how Los Angeles began building ...more
Ian
"So do not get confused by the glitz. Outwardly, scripted places like Victoria Gardens, or Citywalk, or the Grove may look anti-urban; artificial [...] They seem to epitomize neoliberalism, where every public act is privatized [...] But actually this is meta-urbanism: a metropolitanized suburb (a way to grow public money) [...] The message is paradoxical. These scripted illusions are monuments to the independence of cities, but also to private wealth taking over [...] [C]ities must turn in to de ...more
Malcolm
LA is one of those cities we all like to think we know, after all we see it in our mass and popular cultural texts, hear it in the news, read it all over - its sheer ubiquity makes it a know. Norman Klein challenges that notion to argue that our knowledge of LA is a kbowledge based on forgetting, that is popular and mass cultural texts make LA an unknown and continually invwented and reconstrcuted before our very eyes. Contrarian and as such quite brilliantly insightful.
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2012 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It is always dangerous to post an academic book as it is easy for them to go unfinished. That said, so far this book is incredible! I am absolutely loving it and it is speaking to the intersection of a whole lot of stuff I am currently fascinated by. Note: Goodreads has just made me aware there is an updated version. That is not the one I'm reading but now I hope to rectify that situation :(
Raina
delightful account of the history (or erasure of) of LA. loved the chapter about LA in the cinematic imagination (like Blade runner etc). for urbanists or anything interesting in cities of the future.
Maxwell Harwitt
"Why do research when I can just write a whole book of history and earn a teaching position from conjectures based on the little I currently know about the subject?"
KetchupKat
I read this for a class, so it was inevitably tedious at times. It didn't help that there were typos...
Katy
wonderful book. a must read for anyone who is interested in los angeles history and cultural theory.
Ema
Ema marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Laura Herrera
Laura Herrera marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Rosana Obregón
Rosana Obregón marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Mary Strebinger
Mary Strebinger is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sharon
Sharon added it
Dec 05, 2014
Lura
Lura marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Lindy
Lindy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Augusto
Augusto marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Eric Brightwell
Eric Brightwell marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Colin Marshall
Colin Marshall marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Amanda Hoskinson
Amanda Hoskinson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Godiva Reisenbichler
Godiva Reisenbichler marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies
  • Southern California: An Island on the Land
  • Ecology of Fear: Los Angeles and the Imagination of Disaster
  • Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • The Power of Place: Urban Landscapes as Public History
  • 'There Ain't no Black in the Union Jack': The Cultural Politics of Race and Nation
  • Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life
  • Terryworld (Taschen 25th Anniversary)
  • Content
  • The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo
  • Toward the African Revolution
  • The Truly Disadvantaged: The Inner City, the Underclass, and Public Policy
  • Seven American Deaths and Disasters
  • Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo
  • Writing Los Angeles: A Literary Anthology
  • Marxism and the Philosophy of Language
The Vatican to Vegas: A History of Special Effects Seven Minutes: The Life and Death of the American Animated Cartoon Helter Skelter: L.A. Art in the 1990s Twentieth Century Art Theory: Urbanism, Politics, And Mass Culture Norman Klein: Bleeding Through--Layers of Los Angeles, 1920-1986 (Book & DVD-ROM)