Start by marking “The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles” as Want to Read:
The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,027 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Here is the national bestseller that Newsday called “the most authoritative and candid look yet at the personal lives…of the oft-scrutinized group.” In The Love You Make, Peter Brown, a close friend of and business manager for the band—and the best man at John and Yoko’s wedding—presents a complete look at the dramatic offstage odyssey of the four lads from Liverpool who e ...more
Published November 5th 2002 by NAL (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Love You Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love You Make

No One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugermanThe Dirt by Tommy LeeThe Heroin Diaries by Nikki SixxScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisThe Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson
Best Books on Rock and Roll
70th out of 495 books — 879 voters
High Fidelity by Nick HornbyBurning Down Rome by Melodie RamonePast Deadline by John ZelaznyNo One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugermanNick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
Best Music Books
38th out of 227 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

It focused too intensely on John (and it's was so NEGATIVE. The whole book. Like Jesus, I'm sure their whole lives weren't completely MISERABLE as the book paints them) for five stars, who seems to magically have a plethora of redeeming qualities despite how awful he had a tendency to be, while the authors painted the other three in a oddly negative light? It was frustrating!

But otherwise it was engaging and I couldn't put it down.
The Beatles are my favorite band and I went through a period of obsession with them during my high school years, which had tapered off for a while although I'll always love them. This was the perfect book to return to at age 25 when I hadn't read or thought much about them in several years. What I loved immediately about this book was it's honesty and portrayal of The Beatles as real, flawed people. All too often I had seen them caricatured as the cutesy, loveable mop tops, so it was refreshing ...more
I read this in 7th grade and still remember bizarre and inappropriate details I probably didn't need to know in the first place.
Paul Bryant
I just remember hating this one - Peter Brown seemed to remember all the bad times and the miserable anecdotes.
Still the best Beatles book I've ever read(and I have read many!)
Kathy Spada
I loved this book! Actually, I read it aloud to my husband each evening and we enjoyed it very much. This is a book on everything you didn't know about the Beatles and everything perhaps you are really not sure you want to know about the Beatles. Peter Brown was an insider into the Beatles' beginnings, a manager at Apple and follows them through the dissolution of the group.
The book begins with their early lives in Liverpool, their Hamburg gigs and their entry into the London pop world. Brown re
I don't read biography often, because while I learn so much about people I admire, I already know the ending. And of course, this book not only ends with one of the most influential bands in the world breaking up after a slow and painful decline, but also the murder of John Lennon. But while I knew the ending ahead of time, there was no way I thought I would have the reaction I did. Because despite all of John's ups and downs before his assassination, he died as a house-husband and a doting fath ...more
I see I am not alone among Goodreads reviewers in saying that I read this book for one of my first more "serious" book reports in school (probably 8th grade), which was more our less when it came out. Peter Brown was a personal assistant to the Beatles and can probably rightly claim to be one of the individuals closest to them during the group's life. However, coming to that relationship from the professional as opposed to the personal side (as opposed to Neil Aspinall), he appeared to have less ...more
Michael K
I've just started reading my 1986 paperback of this for the third time (very long between reads must say) and it's just as engaging as it was first time, particularly since a lot of what was said, on its publication, by critics in and outside The Beatles' circle, to be unproven and false, has since been corroborated by subsequent memoirs from other insiders like Patti Boyd. What Brown did here in one fell swoop, though, was to permanently oust himself from The Beatles inner circle by revealing h ...more
With the new upheaval of Beatle love lately (Beatles Rock Band, remastered songs, etc.) I realized that I didn't know that much about the actual history of, probably, the most famous band...ever. The gf, who is obsessed with them, said this was her favorite bio of them, so I checked it out. In the end, I did learn alot about the men behind the mania, but it did leave me sometimes wanting more.

The biography follows the fab 4, as well as those close to them (Cynthia Lennon, Brian Epstein, etc) thr
East Bay J
I read this 1983 Beatle bio many years ago and decided to give it another read. I don't remember what I thought at the time but, this time around, I thought, "Oh, the misery."

According to Peter Brown, being a Beatle was a nightmare. This is likely due in no small part to the fact that Brown and Gaines managed to include every negative aspect of every member in this cast of characters. Brian hates his homosexuality, Paul is greedy, George is a lothario, Ringo is a third rate Beatle, John is an as
Jason A.
I read this over 20 years ago and it still sticks with me. For a largely first-person account, it's tremendously well-researched, provides intimate behind-the-scenes access to their lives (and finances) and it introduces new characters to Beatles lore (Magic Alex, Mal Evans, etc.).

However, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, mostly because Brown seems to have an axe to grind with Paul McCartney, most notably when he subtly suggests that Paul was responsible for Stu Sutcliffe's death (at least tha
Cindy Wyatt
I wanted to read a book about the Beatles and found this one in a used book store. I doubt it is the definitive Beatles biography (anybody know what is?) but I enjoyed it. I learned many things about them that I did not know. Like in several books I have read this year, it is clear that money and fame don't correlate with happiness.

On a side note, this book could have used a proofreader. It had many obvious spelling and grammatical errors.
When I started high school, I had already been enraptured by the Beatles for 10-11 years. From the age of 5, they had been my favorite band, and when I was 5 I literally thought they were magic, as in Wizards.

When I began high school, I found a rag-eared copy of this paperback in the school library. It seriously changed my life, and the way I thought about the world, and specifically pop culture.

This book was a "warts-and-all.. and in fact we mainly wanna show the warts!" explosion. Beyond behin
Kristen Dyer
I liked what I found to be real, balanced portraits of the musical genius. The inclusion of supporting characters was nice, too, though could've been even more fully explored in some cases.
What I really yearned for was more about the inspirations behind particular songs, like Brown does for "She Said" and "Sexy Sadie." I am too young to have experienced Beatlemania first-hand, so these accounts of the true stories behind the crazy rumors was interesting. Probably I should read a song-book instea
One of the first tell-alls. each one of these bios you read on this group has new twists throughout it's telling. Some blatantly opposite to another book. A good read...and it's the Beatles.
Matthew Fitch
I just re-read this and if you only read one book on the Fab 4 this is the one. Brown being an executive for NEMS and then Apple offers an insiders look at their career....Simply brilliant
Catherine Spinella
It was written in a very graphic perspective of the Beatles' career. I felt bad for Cynthia and what she went through. Over all a very interesting tell all biography.
I read this when it first came out.
The best Beatles book I have read, compelling, hard to put down reading of a much retold story.
Loved this book, great inside look into the life of the Beatles- from John Lennon's birth to his death. I may read it again soon!
Alle Shane
Here's how I feel about the controversial facts - if this isn't the truth about the Beatles then it should be.
На моменти прекалено много съдебни дела и обяснения за акции, задължения, пари...
Силна история за приятелството, за любовта и за гениалността. За Бийтълс като бизнес. Но и като обсесия. За идентичността на индивида като част от колектива и обратното... Липсват й снимки, много снимки. Чете се най-добре под звуците на песните им.
Nicky Vukadinova
This is pretty juicy stuff.

The Beatles story is a fascinating one and this is very much an insider's book.

I can't imagine any of the living Beatles would want to talk to this man again. He pretty viscious about them, but loves all the various Beatle wives and girlfriends, apart from Yoko.

If someone asked me which book about the Beatles to read first. I'd recommend this one, though he is sometimes overly negative and bitchy. They were very young men in an extraordinary situation and they did very
Lovely Rita
An interesting book, though much of what's in it isn't so revolutionary any more. It was still the first book to spill the beans on a lot of the less complimentary stories about the Beatles.

It's a little amusing just by it's dated-ness (it came out in '81), since according to the book Pattie Boyd and Eric Clapton are still just as in love as ever.

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Worth a read for a Beatles fan. There is some info that's not in other sources, but a lot of it is.

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Highly recommend this for any Beatles fan or uninformed initiate to the band. Worthwhile insights from Peter Brown, someone who was close to the band for many years, primarily John Lennon. This book helped me fill in many of my informational gaps and gave me a greater appreciation for John Lennon's struggles. It also let me know about many of the other characters behind the scenes, like Magic Alex, and how they affected the course of the band. And a very quick read, to boot.
keith koenigsberg
A good history of the Beatles, but bloody depressing. The lovable moptops were nasty to everyone, including each other, got a dozen girls pregnant, took a lot of drugs, sued everyone and each other, and were generally not "nice". Especially John. Shattered a lot of my preconceptions about the whole "all you need is love" ethos.

There's a lot more here about their business and legal interests than you might want to read, and a lot less about their music.
Tal vez su retrato de The Beatles no sea del todo exacto y se exceda en su contenido farandulero, pero esta biografía a cargo de Peter Brown (que pertenecía al círculo íntimo de la banda en sus últimos años) y Steven Gaines despertó mi interés por ellos de una forma desmesurada y contribuyó a que pasara a ser de una adolescente aburrida a una adolescente aburrida amante de la música de los años sesenta.
At one point this was one of the definitive Beatles biographies. It's good reading for fans and others, Brown had an inside view of things and used his knowledge for this book. Lots of reading into John Lennon's mind here, as Brown writes that he was always looking for "the next big thing". There are probably more authoritative, better researched Beatles bios out there, but this one's pretty good.
Brown's "Love You Make" 1 15 Jan 28, 2008 08:58PM
  • The Beatles
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Postcards from the Boys
  • The Longest Cocktail Party
  • A Twist Of Lennon
More about Peter Brown...

“Brewing is mentioned rarely in accounts of the Industrial Revolution. Temperance pressures meant it was impolitic for brewers to boast of their achievements and innovations, and few accurate records exist of exactly how it performed in the 19th Century compared to those glamorous, sexy industries like coal mining and steel making.” 2 likes