Start by marking “The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles” as Want to Read:
The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,774 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Here is the national bestseller that Newsday called “the most authoritative and candid look yet at the personal lives…of the oft-scrutinized group.” In The Love You Make, Peter Brown, a close friend of and business manager for the band—and the best man at John and Yoko’s wedding—presents a complete look at the dramatic offstage odyssey of the four lads from Liverpool who e ...more
Published November 5th 2002 by NAL Trade (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Love You Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love You Make

No One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugermanThe Dirt by Tommy LeeThe Heroin Diaries by Nikki SixxScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisThe Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson
Best Books on Rock and Roll
64th out of 439 books — 769 voters
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnNo One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugermanHigh Fidelity by Nick HornbyThe Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LerouxLove is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield
Best Music Books
37th out of 214 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillian
The Beatles are my favorite band and I went through a period of obsession with them during my high school years, which had tapered off for a while although I'll always love them. This was the perfect book to return to at age 25 when I hadn't read or thought much about them in several years. What I loved immediately about this book was it's honesty and portrayal of The Beatles as real, flawed people. All too often I had seen them caricatured as the cutesy, loveable mop tops, so it was refreshing ...more
bluejeanamy
I read this in 7th grade and still remember bizarre and inappropriate details I probably didn't need to know in the first place.
Paul
I just remember hating this one - Peter Brown seemed to remember all the bad times and the miserable anecdotes.
Georgette
Still the best Beatles book I've ever read(and I have read many!)
Sammi
I don't read biography often, because while I learn so much about people I admire, I already know the ending. And of course, this book not only ends with one of the most influential bands in the world breaking up after a slow and painful decline, but also the murder of John Lennon. But while I knew the ending ahead of time, there was no way I thought I would have the reaction I did. Because despite all of John's ups and downs before his assassination, he died as a house-husband and a doting fath ...more
Mitch
I see I am not alone among Goodreads reviewers in saying that I read this book for one of my first more "serious" book reports in school (probably 8th grade), which was more our less when it came out. Peter Brown was a personal assistant to the Beatles and can probably rightly claim to be one of the individuals closest to them during the group's life. However, coming to that relationship from the professional as opposed to the personal side (as opposed to Neil Aspinall), he appeared to have less ...more
Internotional Times
I've just started reading my 1986 paperback of this for the third time (very long between reads must say) and it's just as engaging as it was first time, particularly since a lot of what was said, on its publication, by critics in and outside The Beatles' circle, to be unproven and false, has since been corroborated by subsequent memoirs from other insiders like Patti Boyd. What Brown did here in one fell swoop, though, was to permanently oust himself from The Beatles inner circle by revealing h ...more
Mark
With the new upheaval of Beatle love lately (Beatles Rock Band, remastered songs, etc.) I realized that I didn't know that much about the actual history of, probably, the most famous band...ever. The gf, who is obsessed with them, said this was her favorite bio of them, so I checked it out. In the end, I did learn alot about the men behind the mania, but it did leave me sometimes wanting more.

The biography follows the fab 4, as well as those close to them (Cynthia Lennon, Brian Epstein, etc) thr
J
I read this 1983 Beatle bio many years ago and decided to give it another read. I don't remember what I thought at the time but, this time around, I thought, "Oh, the misery."

According to Peter Brown, being a Beatle was a nightmare. This is likely due in no small part to the fact that Brown and Gaines managed to include every negative aspect of every member in this cast of characters. Brian hates his homosexuality, Paul is greedy, George is a lothario, Ringo is a third rate Beatle, John is an as
Jason A.
I read this over 20 years ago and it still sticks with me. For a largely first-person account, it's tremendously well-researched, provides intimate behind-the-scenes access to their lives (and finances) and it introduces new characters to Beatles lore (Magic Alex, Mal Evans, etc.).

However, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, mostly because Brown seems to have an axe to grind with Paul McCartney, most notably when he subtly suggests that Paul was responsible for Stu Sutcliffe's death (at least tha
Fireant
When I started high school, I had already been enraptured by the Beatles for 10-11 years. From the age of 5, they had been my favorite band, and when I was 5 I literally thought they were magic, as in Wizards.

When I began high school, I found a rag-eared copy of this paperback in the school library. It seriously changed my life, and the way I thought about the world, and specifically pop culture.

This book was a "warts-and-all.. and in fact we mainly wanna show the warts!" explosion. Beyond behin
Matthew Fitch
I just re-read this and if you only read one book on the Fab 4 this is the one. Brown being an executive for NEMS and then Apple offers an insiders look at their career....Simply brilliant
Catherine Spinella
It was written in a very graphic perspective of the Beatles' career. I felt bad for Cynthia and what she went through. Over all a very interesting tell all biography.
Gillian
Loved this book, great inside look into the life of the Beatles- from John Lennon's birth to his death. I may read it again soon!
Peter
This is pretty juicy stuff.

The Beatles story is a fascinating one and this is very much an insider's book.

I can't imagine any of the living Beatles would want to talk to this man again. He pretty viscious about them, but loves all the various Beatle wives and girlfriends, apart from Yoko.

If someone asked me which book about the Beatles to read first. I'd recommend this one, though he is sometimes overly negative and bitchy. They were very young men in an extraordinary situation and they did very
Lovely Rita
An interesting book, though much of what's in it isn't so revolutionary any more. It was still the first book to spill the beans on a lot of the less complimentary stories about the Beatles.

It's a little amusing just by it's dated-ness (it came out in '81), since according to the book Pattie Boyd and Eric Clapton are still just as in love as ever.

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Worth a read for a Beatles fan. There is some info that's not in other sources, but a lot of it is.
Maggie

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Albert
Highly recommend this for any Beatles fan or uninformed initiate to the band. Worthwhile insights from Peter Brown, someone who was close to the band for many years, primarily John Lennon. This book helped me fill in many of my informational gaps and gave me a greater appreciation for John Lennon's struggles. It also let me know about many of the other characters behind the scenes, like Magic Alex, and how they affected the course of the band. And a very quick read, to boot.
keith koenigsberg
A good history of the Beatles, but bloody depressing. The lovable moptops were nasty to everyone, including each other, got a dozen girls pregnant, took a lot of drugs, sued everyone and each other, and were generally not "nice". Especially John. Shattered a lot of my preconceptions about the whole "all you need is love" ethos.

There's a lot more here about their business and legal interests than you might want to read, and a lot less about their music.
Melisa
Tal vez su retrato de The Beatles no sea del todo exacto y se exceda en su contenido farandulero, pero esta biografía a cargo de Peter Brown (que pertenecía al círculo íntimo de la banda en sus últimos años) y Steven Gaines despertó mi interés por ellos de una forma desmesurada y contribuyó a que pasara a ser de una adolescente aburrida a una adolescente aburrida amante de la música de los años sesenta.
RJ
At one point this was one of the definitive Beatles biographies. It's good reading for fans and others, Brown had an inside view of things and used his knowledge for this book. Lots of reading into John Lennon's mind here, as Brown writes that he was always looking for "the next big thing". There are probably more authoritative, better researched Beatles bios out there, but this one's pretty good.
Annie
I learned things about British tax law and Yoko Ono that I never would have learned anywhere else! I like that the author focused on interpersonal relationships as opposed to songwriting processes or dramatic recaps of recording sessions or concerts. I hate that kind of music writing. I don't need my music described to me, thank you, it works better to put the song on and listen to it that way.
Kento Okumura
by Peter Brown
Time: 80minutes
7-word story,of,Beatles,member,even,now,legend
Discussion Question
1. Do you know who got married to John Lennon?
Yes, I do. She is Japanese woman. Yoko Ono
2.Do you know when John Lennon was killed?
It was December 8, 1980.

If you read this book, you notice that Beatles is legend
of rock band in many countries.
I like Beatles' song very much.
Kara
Beatles lore is my fave. I read this book curled up in the backseat of a little car on a road trip down the East Coast while the boys sat in front and talked. It was magical, a chance to be more involved with one of the great influences of my life. I learned Beatles dirt from this book that I can surprise even very music-obsessed friends with. My favorite Beatles book.
Keith Brooks
Never tired of reading about them or the times.
Victoria Cowden-moyneur
If you really liked the Beatles, and even if you didn't, this novel is excellent in how it lays out the back stage story. I was surprised by some of it, and although I thought I knew a lot about the Beatles as a group, I now understand them individually. It's a super read and I recommend it very highly. It is well written and deserves the rating I gave it!
Suzy
Apr 12, 2008 Suzy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatles fans or those just interested in a good story
This is the best Beatles book that I have ever read(although I am partial to "I, Me, Mine" by Harrison). I read it a few years ago and I just took another look at it this past week. It was as good, if not better, the second time around. I would really recommend it to anyone. I have loaned it to many people and it has never disappointed.
Anna
Read it in the car on the way to church camp when I was 13. (Now that I think about it, why was I going to church camp when I wasn't even going to church at that time?) I vaguely remember my cabin leader giving me a wary look when she saw me reading it. It was engrossing and enjoyable even at that age.
Nina
A fun read from a Beatles insider. Not a lot of new info if you are a Beatles fan, but the writing is conversational and it is interesting to read many of the details from a slightly different point of view. The book is told, for the most part, in chronological order from the very beginning.
Mark
Jul 14, 2007 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Love the Beatles?
Shelves: non-fiction, music
This is one of the best Beatle books I've ever read. It's controversial, though. People don't like to think about John and Brian together. Did it happen? Who knows? The only two people who know for sure are dead.
Anyway, give it a shot. It's really good.
Brown's "Love You Make" 1 14 Jan 28, 2008 08:58PM
  • The Beatles
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles
  • Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation
  • Many Years from Now
  • Beatles Forever
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • Lennon
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America
  • The Longest Cocktail Party
  • A Twist Of Lennon
More about Peter Brown...
West of Last Chance A Bright Soothing Noise Dirty Enlightenment Understanding and Applying Medical Anthropology El mundo de la Antigüedad tardía

“Brewing is mentioned rarely in accounts of the Industrial Revolution. Temperance pressures meant it was impolitic for brewers to boast of their achievements and innovations, and few accurate records exist of exactly how it performed in the 19th Century compared to those glamorous, sexy industries like coal mining and steel making.” 2 likes