Start by marking “The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles” as Want to Read:
The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  2,306 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Here is the national bestseller that Newsday called “the most authoritative and candid look yet at the personal lives…of the oft-scrutinized group.” In The Love You Make, Peter Brown, a close friend of and business manager for the band—and the best man at John and Yoko’s wedding—presents a complete look at the dramatic offstage odyssey of the four lads from Liverpool who e ...more
Published November 5th 2002 by NAL (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Love You Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love You Make

East Bay J
May 20, 2013 East Bay J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-bios
I read this 1983 Beatle bio many years ago and decided to give it another read. I don't remember what I thought at the time but, this time around, I thought, "Oh, the misery."

According to Peter Brown, being a Beatle was a nightmare. This is likely due in no small part to the fact that Brown and Gaines managed to include every negative aspect of every member in this cast of characters. Brian hates his homosexuality, Paul is greedy, George is a lothario, Ringo is a third rate Beatle, John is an as
Paul Bryant
Dec 01, 2007 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it
Shelves: beatles
I just remember hating this one - Peter Brown seemed to remember all the bad times and the miserable anecdotes.
Peacegal
Nov 21, 2016 Peacegal rated it it was ok
2.5 stars -- On the book jacket of the edition I am reading, Paul looks ready to punch the photographer, George looks disgusted, Ringo seems despondent and John looks as if he’s plotting something evil. This will give you a clue of what’s inside THE LOVE YOU MAKE, one of the most controversial Beatles biographies.

While some have painted it as a shag-a-minute scandal sheet, it isn’t really. That said, the writer peppers the pages with exasperating phrases such as “revealed here for the first tim
Katherine Basto
Feb 15, 2015 Katherine Basto rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Actually, I read it aloud to my husband each evening and we enjoyed it very much. This is a book on everything you didn't know about the Beatles and everything perhaps you are really not sure you want to know about the Beatles. Peter Brown was an insider into the Beatles' beginnings, a manager at Apple and follows them through the dissolution of the group.
The book begins with their early lives in Liverpool, their Hamburg gigs and their entry into the London pop world. Brown re
keith koenigsberg
May 28, 2008 keith koenigsberg rated it it was ok
A good history of the Beatles, but bloody depressing. The lovable moptops were nasty to everyone, including each other, got a dozen girls pregnant, took a lot of drugs, sued everyone and each other, and were generally not "nice". Especially John. Shattered a lot of my preconceptions about the whole "all you need is love" ethos.

There's a lot more here about their business and legal interests than you might want to read, and a lot less about their music.
Jillian
Oct 30, 2014 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, nonfiction
The Beatles are my favorite band and I went through a period of obsession with them during my high school years, which had tapered off for a while although I'll always love them. This was the perfect book to return to at age 25 when I hadn't read or thought much about them in several years. What I loved immediately about this book was it's honesty and portrayal of The Beatles as real, flawed people. All too often I had seen them caricatured as the cutesy, loveable mop tops, so it was refreshing ...more
Julie_ian_curtis
Apart from a day in the life this is one of the greatest Beatles books ever written nd fuck you if you don't agree
David
May 23, 2016 David rated it liked it
At the time this was originally published back in 1983 I seem to remember that this insider's perspective on the Beatles was regarded as revelatory. Reading it now though, much of the material seems to have become common currency, and I found the account as a whole mean-spirited and somewhat grubby. Most damagingly Peter Brown pretty much ignores the music - if you take out what actually made the Beatles great then i guess what you end up with is rather more earth-bound, but inherently less inte ...more
Jason A.
Apr 22, 2011 Jason A. rated it really liked it
I read this over 20 years ago and it still sticks with me. For a largely first-person account, it's tremendously well-researched, provides intimate behind-the-scenes access to their lives (and finances) and it introduces new characters to Beatles lore (Magic Alex, Mal Evans, etc.).

However, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, mostly because Brown seems to have an axe to grind with Paul McCartney, most notably when he subtly suggests that Paul was responsible for Stu Sutcliffe's death (at least tha
bluejeanamy
Jan 08, 2011 bluejeanamy rated it really liked it
I read this in 7th grade and still remember bizarre and inappropriate details I probably didn't need to know in the first place.
Georgette
Aug 15, 2011 Georgette rated it it was amazing
Still the best Beatles book I've ever read(and I have read many!)
Michael K
Jun 13, 2012 Michael K rated it it was amazing
I've just started reading my 1986 paperback of this for the third time (very long between reads must say) and it's just as engaging as it was first time, particularly since a lot of what was said, on its publication, by critics in and outside The Beatles' circle, to be unproven and false, has since been corroborated by subsequent memoirs from other insiders like Patti Boyd. What Brown did here in one fell swoop, though, was to permanently oust himself from The Beatles inner circle by revealing h ...more
Mark
Sep 22, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
With the new upheaval of Beatle love lately (Beatles Rock Band, remastered songs, etc.) I realized that I didn't know that much about the actual history of, probably, the most famous band...ever. The gf, who is obsessed with them, said this was her favorite bio of them, so I checked it out. In the end, I did learn alot about the men behind the mania, but it did leave me sometimes wanting more.

The biography follows the fab 4, as well as those close to them (Cynthia Lennon, Brian Epstein, etc) thr
Sammi
Jan 08, 2012 Sammi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't read biography often, because while I learn so much about people I admire, I already know the ending. And of course, this book not only ends with one of the most influential bands in the world breaking up after a slow and painful decline, but also the murder of John Lennon. But while I knew the ending ahead of time, there was no way I thought I would have the reaction I did. Because despite all of John's ups and downs before his assassination, he died as a house-husband and a doting fath ...more
Mitch
Oct 02, 2011 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, non-fiction
I see I am not alone among Goodreads reviewers in saying that I read this book for one of my first more "serious" book reports in school (probably 8th grade), which was more our less when it came out. Peter Brown was a personal assistant to the Beatles and can probably rightly claim to be one of the individuals closest to them during the group's life. However, coming to that relationship from the professional as opposed to the personal side (as opposed to Neil Aspinall), he appeared to have less ...more
Kristen Dyer
I liked what I found to be real, balanced portraits of the musical genius. The inclusion of supporting characters was nice, too, though could've been even more fully explored in some cases.
What I really yearned for was more about the inspirations behind particular songs, like Brown does for "She Said" and "Sexy Sadie." I am too young to have experienced Beatlemania first-hand, so these accounts of the true stories behind the crazy rumors was interesting. Probably I should read a song-book instea
Fireant
Feb 23, 2012 Fireant rated it really liked it
When I started high school, I had already been enraptured by the Beatles for 10-11 years. From the age of 5, they had been my favorite band, and when I was 5 I literally thought they were magic, as in Wizards.

When I began high school, I found a rag-eared copy of this paperback in the school library. It seriously changed my life, and the way I thought about the world, and specifically pop culture.

This book was a "warts-and-all.. and in fact we mainly wanna show the warts!" explosion. Beyond behin
Lovely Rita
Sep 28, 2009 Lovely Rita rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction, beatles
An interesting book, though much of what's in it isn't so revolutionary any more. It was still the first book to spill the beans on a lot of the less complimentary stories about the Beatles.

It's a little amusing just by it's dated-ness (it came out in '81), since according to the book Pattie Boyd and Eric Clapton are still just as in love as ever.

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Worth a read for a Beatles fan. There is some info that's not in other sources, but a lot of it is.
Peter
Sep 24, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
This is pretty juicy stuff.

The Beatles story is a fascinating one and this is very much an insider's book.

I can't imagine any of the living Beatles would want to talk to this man again. He pretty viscious about them, but loves all the various Beatle wives and girlfriends, apart from Yoko.

If someone asked me which book about the Beatles to read first. I'd recommend this one, though he is sometimes overly negative and bitchy. They were very young men in an extraordinary situation and they did very
Mark
Jun 10, 2016 Mark rated it did not like it
Complete and utter CRAP. Just look at the pic of the author on the back (original) cover......and this will be no surprise. Fantastical garbage, written as if the author was somehow a little (retarded and very dishonest) bird, sitting nearby EVERYONE, at EVERY moment mentioned in this book. And somehow able to hear and memorize everything. It also speaks lies about Paul. If you are a true Beatle fan......stay far away from this bound joke of daft drivel, it will anger you (if you have any good s ...more
Albert
Sep 15, 2009 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this for any Beatles fan or uninformed initiate to the band. Worthwhile insights from Peter Brown, someone who was close to the band for many years, primarily John Lennon. This book helped me fill in many of my informational gaps and gave me a greater appreciation for John Lennon's struggles. It also let me know about many of the other characters behind the scenes, like Magic Alex, and how they affected the course of the band. And a very quick read, to boot.
Melisa
Oct 21, 2013 Melisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tal vez su retrato de The Beatles no sea del todo exacto y se exceda en su contenido farandulero, pero esta biografía a cargo de Peter Brown (que pertenecía al círculo íntimo de la banda en sus últimos años) y Steven Gaines despertó mi interés por ellos de una forma desmesurada y contribuyó a que pasara a ser de una adolescente aburrida a una adolescente aburrida amante de la música de los años sesenta.
Cindy Wyatt
Mar 25, 2015 Cindy Wyatt rated it liked it
I wanted to read a book about the Beatles and found this one in a used book store. I doubt it is the definitive Beatles biography (anybody know what is?) but I enjoyed it. I learned many things about them that I did not know. Like in several books I have read this year, it is clear that money and fame don't correlate with happiness.

On a side note, this book could have used a proofreader. It had many obvious spelling and grammatical errors.
Ron
Feb 08, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, biography
At one point this was one of the definitive Beatles biographies. It's good reading for fans and others, Brown had an inside view of things and used his knowledge for this book. Lots of reading into John Lennon's mind here, as Brown writes that he was always looking for "the next big thing". There are probably more authoritative, better researched Beatles bios out there, but this one's pretty good.
Maggie
Sep 28, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, beatles

Oh, and the ending is sad. :-(

Katherine
Apr 18, 2016 Katherine rated it liked it
I know this particular biography gets a lot of flack for painting a very negative picture of the Fab Four. But I thought it was actually kind of a refreshing turn from the perpetual happiness associated with the band. I don't necessarily believe everything that Brown reported, but it was still interesting.
Kara
Mar 24, 2009 Kara rated it really liked it
Beatles lore is my fave. I read this book curled up in the backseat of a little car on a road trip down the East Coast while the boys sat in front and talked. It was magical, a chance to be more involved with one of the great influences of my life. I learned Beatles dirt from this book that I can surprise even very music-obsessed friends with. My favorite Beatles book.
Мирослава
Aug 26, 2015 Мирослава rated it it was amazing
На моменти прекалено много съдебни дела и обяснения за акции, задължения, пари...
Силна история за приятелството, за любовта и за гениалността. За Бийтълс като бизнес. Но и като обсесия. За идентичността на индивида като част от колектива и обратното... Липсват й снимки, много снимки. Чете се най-добре под звуците на песните им.
Anna
Dec 23, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
Read it in the car on the way to church camp when I was 13. (Now that I think about it, why was I going to church camp when I wasn't even going to church at that time?) I vaguely remember my cabin leader giving me a wary look when she saw me reading it. It was engrossing and enjoyable even at that age.
Suzy
Apr 12, 2008 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beatles fans or those just interested in a good story
This is the best Beatles book that I have ever read(although I am partial to "I, Me, Mine" by Harrison). I read it a few years ago and I just took another look at it this past week. It was as good, if not better, the second time around. I would really recommend it to anyone. I have loaned it to many people and it has never disappointed.
Brown's "Love You Make" 1 19 Jan 28, 2008 08:58PM
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • Beatles Forever
  • Many Years from Now
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • The Longest Cocktail Party
More about Peter Brown...

“Brewing is mentioned rarely in accounts of the Industrial Revolution. Temperance pressures meant it was impolitic for brewers to boast of their achievements and innovations, and few accurate records exist of exactly how it performed in the 19th Century compared to those glamorous, sexy industries like coal mining and steel making.” 2 likes