Start by marking “One Hundred Famous Haiku” as Want to Read:
One Hundred Famous Haiku

One Hundred Famous Haiku

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Published February 28th 1973 by Japan Publications, Inc., Tokyo

To ask other readers questions about One Hundred Famous Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Hundred Famous Haiku

Beth
Great selection of poems. Basho's are definitly my favorite, they have a beauty and elegance that make me feel like I am beside the poet, and viewing the word through his eyes. But I also adore Issa's simplicity and charm, which can make me both sad and happy in the space of a few lines. The translator of the book, Daniel Buchanan also did a masterful job of translating the poems while keeping the traditional haiku structure intact. The interpretations of the poems are also good, and have taught ...more
dthaase
If you have any interest in haiku you will enjoy this masterful collection. Each haiku is laid out on its own page with explanatory notes as well as the haiku in three written forms: Chinese ideographs (Kanji), Japanese syllabary (kana), and the Romanized form of the original Japanese (romaji).

Here was one of my personal favorites by the poet Meisetsu

Butterflies follow
Lovingly the flower-wreath
Placed on the coffin.
Martyn
Apr 15, 2011 Martyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: haiku peeps, poets, beats, Buddhists, Japan freaks
A marvelous book. One hundred famous haiku laid out one to a page in kana, romaji and in English translation, and some even with examples of the original poet’s own handwritten forms of the poems. The translator has also added commentary text to the bottom of each page that, more often than not, is interesting as well as illuminating.

Just great, well laid out and very inspiring.
Princess Mangacop
Princess Mangacop marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kuya Ko
Kuya Ko marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Andi Bob
Andi Bob marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012